Duke4.net Forums: Interceptor Dead? - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interceptor Dead?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I'm not sure why they're doing that, exactly.

Apogee, 3DR, Interceptor, Slipgate... .Why not consolidate under one name and not confuse the situation? Just put it all under 3D Realms and call it a day?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Just be thankful Pinpall Wizards isn't being added to the list Posted Image

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 23 March 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

I'm not sure why they're doing that, exactly.

Apogee, 3DR, Interceptor, Slipgate... .Why not consolidate under one name and not confuse the situation? Just put it all under 3D Realms and call it a day?

I would assume it had something to do with corporate or tax laws. I think it is not uncommon in the entertainment industry to create a new company and move all financial risk to that company. If the company fails, you just create another one. I think that's how Uwe Boll financed at lest some of his movies, although he was less creative and named his companies numerically: 1st Boll KG, 2nd Boll KG and so on.

That said, I hope this won't be the case with Slipgate. Best of luck to you.

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 10 March 2017 - 05:32 AM, said:

Very opposite of dead :blink:

Well...okay. I'm not sure how staring a new studio is the opposite of death for the previous studio. I suppose that's neither here nor there at this point. Best of luck with your future endeavors.

User is offline   Cernex 

Hey, as long as we get a new BUILD game, I'm all in for company's changing names or whatever.

... Although I'm still quite at a los as to what belongs to who and how, specialy since it seems (again, not sure) that Apogee and 3DRealms are diferent entities now?

View PostCernex, on 25 March 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

Hey, as long as we get a new BUILD game, I'm all in for company's changing names or whatever.

... Although I'm still quite at a los as to what belongs to who and how, specialy since it seems (again, not sure) that Apogee and 3DRealms are diferent entities now?

Yeah, that's always confusing to me, too. Rad Rodgers wasn't copyrighted as Interceptor or 3DR, so I'm guessing that one belongs 100% to Fred. I would think Bombshell belongs to 3D Realms.

I'm more curious where this leaves 3D Realms. I'd be surprised if they'd be in a big hurry to bankroll projects from this new studio given the outcome of their ventures with Interceptor. If anything, I'd expect them to partner up with the guys doing the Bombshell Build engine game.

This post has been edited by cosmonautcowboy: 25 March 2017 - 09:28 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Doesn't Fred own a stake/have a role in 3DRealms as well?

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 25 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostK1n9_Duk3, on 23 March 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

I think it is not uncommon in the entertainment industry to create a new company and move all financial risk to that company. If the company fails, you just create another one.

Yeah, this is pretty common practice. You basically set up a separate company that holds ownership of various IP, and then license that IP to whoever will develop the product, which can of course just be another company you happen to own. That way, your IP itself is never in danger no matter what happens to the developer.

View PostCernex, on 25 March 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

The Build game is developed by my fledgling studio formed out of members of this forum, Voidpoint. 3DR is publishing it and providing feedback during the development process, but not handling any of the actual development work itself. It's a situation similar to the collaboration with Remedy on Max Payne or Human Head with Prey, though Remedy and Human Head were already well established studios beforehand. The biggest impact Interceptor's implosion had on us was the sudden unavailability of a couple Interceptor guys who were helping out on the side--and the overall bummer that a bunch of our friends were out of work.

Good luck!

View PostHulkNukem, on 25 March 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

Doesn't Fred own a stake/have a role in 3DRealms as well?

He's Vice President, according to the website. I don't recall ever seeing anything that he owned part of it. I thought that it was owned by Mike, or his investment group.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

View PostTerminX, on 25 March 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

Yeah, this is pretty common practice. You basically set up a separate company that holds ownership of various IP, and then license that IP to whoever will develop the product, which can of course just be another company you happen to own. That way, your IP itself is never in danger no matter what happens to the developer.

The Build game is developed by my fledgling studio formed out of members of this forum, Voidpoint. 3DR is publishing it and providing feedback during the development process, but not handling any of the actual development work itself. It's a situation similar to the collaboration with Remedy on Max Payne or Human Head with Prey, though Remedy and Human Head were already well established studios beforehand. The biggest impact Interceptor's implosion had on us was the sudden unavailability of a couple Interceptor guys who were helping out on the side--and the overall bummer that a bunch of our friends were out of work.

Good luck!

This leaves me wondering what Interceptor Slipgate Studios will do now...I liked Rad Rodgers. It was the point where they started stepping up their game. Rise of the Triad was clearly a convoluted amateur effort but there was fun to be had while Bombshell was a pretty terrible game with terrible voice work, terrible writing that felt like someone had hired a sci-fi writer and written through his work to try and make it funny and the whole thing felt thrown together in a terrible way...but the production values seemed to be higher and the game was a lot more consistent than Rise of the Triad in every category. Rad Rodgers was actually good. It was their first game I played without anything striking me immediately as being annoying or poorly done...

I kept hearing rumors of a SiN remake or remaster. I hope this hasn't killed that. Only other thing is the Bombshell FPS but judging from what TerminX says it's largely unaffected.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

With Interceptor, how did it go down? In the industry, there is a tendency for places to close very suddenly. Did they get they get any warning? Did they get their last paychecks?

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

View PostTea Monster, on 26 March 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

With Interceptor, how did it go down? In the industry, there is a tendency for places to close very suddenly. Did they get they get any warning? Did they get their last paychecks?

I made sure that everyone who was employed got up to 4 months additional full salary, after the studio was declared bankrupt.
It's a special kind of "insurance" that takes care of employees financially in case of bankrupcy.

Also, all employees were informed about the status of the company, on a weekly basis, so it all went down pretty quietly, and we all stuck together as friends.
Now with Slipgate, the old Interceptor crew is back together, and we're working with a big publisher on some super cool stuff.

I'll let them announce that to the press once the time is right :blink:

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 26 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Thank you.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 26 March 2017 - 11:47 AM, said:

I made sure that everyone who was employed got up to 4 months additional full salary, after the studio was declared bankrupt.
It's a special kind of "insurance" that takes care of employees financially in case of bankrupcy.

Also, all employees were informed about the status of the company, on a weekly basis, so it all went down pretty quietly, and we all stuck together as friends.
Now with Slipgate, the old Interceptor crew is back together, and we're working with a big publisher on some super cool stuff.

What about the contracted developers that 99% of the game industry runs on?

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 23 March 2017 - 05:09 AM, said:

The "other" Slipgate makes VR software. We were fully aware of their existence. We're a game development studio. The name is coined by John Romero, and we received his blessings to revive the Slipgate name after having used it himself for Slipgate Ironworks.

The "other" Slipgate is actually a game developer too..here's one of their titles on Steam: http://store.steampo...com/app/591660/

Interested in seeing what your Slipgate comes out with though. Is this effectively just a rebrand of Interceptor because it'd be great if Bombshell got a big update and was relaunched at $15 or so maybe as a free bonus with Voidpoints FPS or you guys went back to Rise of the Triad and finally fixed it or released the expansion that was talked about when it was first released.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Wish you the best of luck!

You guys are at least passionate about gamedev and try to keep the momentum going, which is respectable.
Rad was already showing the better side but a bit too late I guess.. I really hope that the next project will be a hit.

User is offline   necroslut 

Apparently THQ Nordic/Nordic Games have picked up Rad Rodgers, so that was probably the deal with a well-known publisher they were talking about, not Gearbox:
https://www.videogam...s4-and-xbox-one

Wish you guys the best of luck : ).

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Well, Noridc is pretty good choice, they're promising company.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

If that means more Rad Rodgers, then that is fucking rad

Rodger

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 31 March 2017 - 03:12 PM

What ever happened to this?
Posted Image

View Postnecroslut, on 31 March 2017 - 02:42 AM, said:

Apparently THQ Nordic/Nordic Games have picked up Rad Rodgers, so that was probably the deal with a well-known publisher they were talking about, not Gearbox:
https://www.videogam...s4-and-xbox-one

Wow, that's unexpected. A pretty huge coup for the studio, I would think. THQ Nordic will actually be able to do marketing and press, which I think was one of the central problems that 3D Realms/Interceptor had.

This post has been edited by cosmonautcowboy: 01 April 2017 - 05:49 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View Postcosmonautcowboy, on 01 April 2017 - 05:49 AM, said:

Wow, that's unexpected. A pretty huge coup for the studio, I would think. THQ Nordic will actually be able to do marketing and press, which I think was one of the central problems that 3D Realms/Interceptor had.

Beyond marketing, I think a big problem for Bombshell and Rad on PC was a lack of a large audience to market to--games of that nature seem to do a lot better on consoles these days. I have a really hard time thinking of the last time I was interested in a PC game even remotely similar in gameplay style to either of them, excluding strictly indie stuff.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostTerminX, on 01 April 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

Beyond marketing, I think a big problem for Bombshell and Rad on PC was a lack of a large audience to market to--games of that nature seem to do a lot better on consoles these days. I have a really hard time thinking of the last time I was interested in a PC game even remotely similar in gameplay style to either of them, excluding strictly indie stuff.

Yes, I can agree on that.

Speaking as consumer:
The last platformer I bought for PC was Broforce. And no topview games at all in the last 10 years or longer. And THimblewwed Park is the only game for PC I bought since Broforce which isn't an FPS.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 01 April 2017 - 01:41 PM

Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

If there's one thing consistent with 3D Realms and everything connected to it it's that they consistently sell off their IPs all over the place. Prey, Max Payne, Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, probably more. Now Rad Rodgers. I mean, it's cool that it gets to live on and everything. All the best. Just an observation.

Hold it is this the same THQ that made those Wcw Games and WWF Games?

User is offline   The Kins 

View PostDuke Legacy, on 01 April 2017 - 10:44 PM, said:

Hold it is this the same THQ that made those Wcw Games and WWF Games?
No, The Old THQ went bankrupt in 2013. This is a slightly-rebranded Nordic Games, who most recently resurrected Darksiders and De Blob and handled retail distribution for Halo Wars 2 and Quantum Break.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 01 April 2017 - 10:09 PM, said:

If there's one thing consistent with 3D Realms and everything connected to it it's that they consistently sell off their IPs all over the place. Prey, Max Payne, Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, probably more. Now Rad Rodgers. I mean, it's cool that it gets to live on and everything. All the best. Just an observation.

In the case of Prey, Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior they didn't really have a choice. I'm sure they would have liked to keep those properties if they could have afforded to.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostHiPolyBash, on 01 April 2017 - 11:50 PM, said:

In the case of Prey, Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior they didn't really have a choice. I'm sure they would have liked to keep those properties if they could have afforded to.

You're saying they had much of a choice here?

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options