Duke4.net Forums: Your ideal developer for next Duke Nukem game - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your ideal developer for next Duke Nukem game  "Who is your ideal developer for the next Duke Nukem game?"

Poll: Developer for next Duke Nukem game (43 member(s) have cast votes)

What developer you'd prefer to make the next Duke Nukem game?

1. 3D Realms/Interceptor Entertainment (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

2. Gearbox Software (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Human Head Studios (2 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

4. Croteam (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

5. People Can Fly (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Flying Wild Hog (3 votes [6.98%])

Percentage of vote: 6.98%

7. id Software (3 votes [6.98%])

Percentage of vote: 6.98%

8. Epic Games (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Running With Scissors (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Voidpoint (21 votes [48.84%])

Percentage of vote: 48.84%

11. Infinity Ward ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) (0 votes [0.00%])

12. Night Work Games (John Romero) (0 votes [0.00%])

13. Other (see reply) (5 votes [11.63%])

Percentage of vote: 11.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

View PostMark., on 19 January 2017 - 06:08 AM, said:

like this:

Ever heard of game called Nitro Family? :P
MobyGames

User is offline   Mark 

I'm watching a youtube vid of it now. I see the reference

User is offline   pacman 

what is HH?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

New Game
L.A. Meltdown
Let's Rock
Loading _____________________________

User is offline   Adekis 

View PostKawa, on 19 January 2017 - 05:13 AM, said:

I'm now imaging Duke riding Wang into battle. Duke's wearing his Time to Kill outfit and Wang [neighs in asian]....I might have to draw this.Correction: I drew this.

Well this is easily the single greatest thing I've ever accidentally inspired by way of questionable wording, and I absolutely want this to be possible in-game, like a weird-ass shooter version of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

That's a good question. Who would I want to develop the nex tDuke Nukem game? Well, I'd probably would want input from people who've modded for Duke 3D for eons, and especially the people who did WG Realms 2 or the DNF 2013 mod. At the same time, I'd want to recruit level designers who were great at creating explorable real locations, like what was done in the first Deus Ex, Half-Life 1 and 2, No One Lives Forever, etc. I think the current modern developers don't understand what Duke is about, and neither do many modern day players who aren't Duke fans. For me, Duke is a tongue in cheek loving parody of the 80s/90s action hero with clever design and plenty of interactivity, Duke 1, 2, and 3D were very much 90s games. When it comes to the different approaches to Duke: one side will want to do a super gritty reboot with no humor; one would try to awkwardly replicate Duke's humor but fail to make it relevant; then you have the various people who have hardcore ideas on what Duke should be like and it wouldn't translate well for the mainstream. It varies. And as much as I appreciate the use of Serious Sam elements in WG Realms 2, I don't think Duke would work solely as an uber arena shooter like Sam.

One of the perks of Duke Nukem 3D is how it combined aspects of Evil Dead, Alien, Doom, and Playboy/Penthouse B-Movies, and it had the playful interactive adult film quality, which I think would be hard to replicate with a big gaming company. Unless you were able to convince a good developing company that Duke would work best as a tribute to 90s action films, and has a very early/mid 90s vibe to it (like Interstate '76 was to the 70s, or Hotline Miami was to the 80s), then you might have a chance. Alternatively, one could have Duke be the hero of the 90s, frozen in time, and emerge modern day a la Austin Powers... but I think the former idea is better. I see a lot of potential of having a Duke Nukem game function like an interactive blend of Independence Day, Terminator 2, Aliens, and an Andy Sidaris movie. And while shooting is good, I think there should be room for interaction and exploration a la Deus Ex, Half-Life, SiN, and Leisure Suit Larry. For the shooting, it has to be swift, smooth, and not mess with your framerate. And, while this might earn Duke an Adult rating in places, I think ever since Duke 3D introduced the scintillating sexual element, why not incorporate interactive sex? And considering the new Duke game would be a tribute to 90s actions films, that means you could playful and imaginative with it, like NOLF was for the 60s or I '76 for the 70s. And there's a ton of possibilities in level design by paying homage to 90s action flicks.

On the other hand, if the new Duke developer were trying to steer away from the adult aspects (which is arguably one its main grabbing points), there's the possibility of going back to Duke Nukem's roots. The first two Duke games, while it didn't have any blood or babes, did have levels which stood out in their level design and level backgrounds. They felt like interactive 90s cartoons, like Arnold Schwarzenegger meets Mighty Max. A lot of the level locations in Duke 1 and 2 would look stunning in a 3D environment, plus the using similar colors would help the game stand out. Imagine the first Shrapnel City and Mission: Moonbase levels, episode 3's second level, in full 3D with revised design. The level backgrounds such as the ruins of Shrapnel City and the levitating city platforms of the future would look awesome in a modern engine.

I doubt that 3D Realms or Gearbox would be able to to bring Duke up to snuff. 3D Realms' developers were misguided in their development of Bombshell, and Gearbox (while I still like DNF) has become an out-to-lunch company.
Half-Life Opposing Force and Gearbox's PC port of Halo were among the few good games they did in their early years. Unless 3D Realms were able to develop a game in spirit of the old classics, and Gearbox somehow revived the design mentality they used to have when developing Opposing Force, then I would've considered them.

I still think that there's much potential in modding Duke for other games, that way modders to explore the different kinds of potential Duke games can accomplish.

Vote: Other
I think a lot of developers could handle making a decent Duke game, each with their own style and goals while retaining the character as its core.

I believe Gearbox & Voidpoint could easily handle producing and developing a game both together and each as individual companies.

Now for the 'dream team':
Producer/Dev.: 3D Realms (the old one)
Publisher: GT Interactive
Helper Devs.: Rockstar

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 23 January 2017 - 01:28 AM, said:

Helper Devs.: Rockstar

The old one, right? Unless you're interested in a Duke game full of microtransactions.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostSledgehammer, on 23 January 2017 - 02:53 AM, said:

The old one, right? Unless you're interested in a Duke game full of microtransactions.

That just gave me an idea for a really metaphysical Duke game where Duke must go on a mission to get all the microtransactions in order to defeat Doctor Proton.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

They should be called "pig cards".

User is offline   pacman 

im serious

by HH you mean human head? (studios)

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Hollywood Holocaust.

Hotel Hell

User is offline   Mark 

I finally jumped in and voted for other. I'm inclined to go with Voidpoint but probably from lack of paying attention I have no idea who Voidpoint is other than TX. Also, I think many game studios would be capable of doing a proper Duke game if they reach out to our community for initial ideas, opinions or requests. ( and actually use the good ones ) :P

This post has been edited by Mark.: 24 January 2017 - 07:10 AM

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostMark., on 24 January 2017 - 07:09 AM, said:

I finally jumped in and voted for other. I'm inclined to go with Voidpoint but probably from lack of paying attention I have no idea who Voidpoint is other than TX. Also, I think many game studios would be capable of doing a proper Duke game if they reach out to our community for initial ideas, opinions or requests. ( and actually use the good ones ) :P

I haven't got really either any indepth info on who Voidpoint actually are but I've seen it come up quite often here and that choice suits me out of these options.

Having developers reach out to the community, seems kinda odd really professionalism wise. You'd expect there to be someone who understands how old school fps works and what is Duke Nukem's personality. I guess if it were the last choice that you get dev come here and study in-order to not have the game be a non-Duke Nukem game, then so be it. Atleast on paper, it should then have the most potential on being actually what Duke is.

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 26 January 2017 - 02:11 PM

User is offline   Mark 

They have to do some kind of research of the community. If all they did was tell their guys to play Duke Nukem and then make more it would probably fail because they wouldn't know what particular things made it such a lasting hit and what things failed miserably in DNF and not repeat it. Linear levels or not. Crude or outright raunchy humor,etc...Lots of things to balance out and if you don't know your fan base and their likes and dislikes it may not turn out as well as everyone wants

This post has been edited by Mark.: 26 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

View PostMark., on 26 January 2017 - 02:26 PM, said:

They have to do some kind of research of the community. If all they did was tell their guys to play Duke Nukem and then make more it would probably fail because they wouldn't know what particular things made it such a lasting hit and what things failed miserably in DNF and not repeat it. Linear levels or not. Crude or outright raunchy humor,etc...Lots of things to balance out and if you don't know your fan base and their likes and dislikes it may not turn out as well as everyone wants

If the folks were ordered to play some Duke3D, I'm sure they would notice some drastic differences to the typical modern fps. They surely would notice all of this compared to even the ones that are supposed to rep classic fps gameplay this day'n age, such as Hard Reset.

-story having minimal focus (gameplay>story)
-fast movement speed, unrealistically fast but fun
-ability to jump really high
-ability to do stuff that doesn't make sense (dive underwater really fast while RPG equipped and simultanesouly kicking)
-level design which doesn't act as a pipe or go from room to room but natural and non-restrictive (exploring is allowed)
-ability to carry every gun and items
-healing doesn't happen too often (no regen present or excessive use of health given unless you actually start to look for some hp kits which serves the whole purpose of non-linear map design)
-modern style upgrade systems non-existent. instead gradually you progress and find better guns/items in the game
-secrets require you to think just like the non-linear map design does
-via secrets, possibility to find strongest weapons in the game very early-on already but they come with minimal ammo to counter "spam"
-non-linear map design which doesn't hold your hand and expects you to look around and think
-individual enemy placement. game ain't just focused on killing/fighting against hordes in specific combat arenas
-swimming/diving and airvents are present
-no npcs blabbing into your ear constantly about mission objectives or some

These are some of the key reasons why I enjoy classic fps over modern fps and basically it all boils down to one thing.. Player Freedom. Minimal amount of limits given to the player.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I wouldn't say to keep minimal focus on the story as a rule. If you can make a good story around the gameplay then go for it. I just don't think the gameplay should suffer for the story's sake. I don't even mind a bit of narrative. Worked in Doom.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I guess our difference of opinion is basically you think the team would figure all that stuff by themselves after playing the game. I don't have that faith. I think they would need to be influenced by us community "experts" too.

I agree with spessu_sb. The one thing Hard Reset did kinda bad was the enemy placement, it was blatantly obvious the devs were still applying what they've learned while making Painkiller (funnily enough, combat feels IMO quite different in PK and HR). The only modern game that I recall which tried to do all of those things was Wrack (except skippable NPC blabber), but it wasn't very good for various reasons.

What I really would like the devs to do, is to sit down for a week or two, play Doom II, Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Quake, Unreal, and make them do notes on game design, then show them the new mapsets done by old fans of the original games, to show them that you can do modern design inside classic game, and still make something bigger than "corridor shooter".

This post has been edited by CryptKiller: 26 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 26 January 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

I wouldn't say to keep minimal focus on the story as a rule. If you can make a good story around the gameplay then go for it. I just don't think the gameplay should suffer for the story's sake. I don't even mind a bit of narrative. Worked in Doom.

I was simply listing list of things/differences you should notice when you go from modern fps to Duke3D. Obviously story can too be incorporated in a way where it doesn't hinder your gameplay experience. I'm actually one of the people who like HL1 quite alot and one of the reasons why I do, is because how it always maintains the player's control ability even while presenting the story.

Yeah, originally DNF was too going with this concept of focus on story but that thing is totally different to the way devs handle the present day way of doing it. Doom 4 is prime example how they have over-focus on this story aspect, probably though because of a different reason. They see it as something that is easier to market to the general public than a game which is all about killing and where you need to know bunch of deep depth gameplay mechanics which fully and only focus on wether or not the player is focused and good at games in general. Like.. "it's easier to follow and keep interest in this game if it has this story constantly floating around you, compared to it being more like HL1 which arguably is more of a Game than modern games because you're involvement is actually more present there"

Same player freedom thing indeed stands here aswell. If the story is implemented in a way where it doesn't get in your way, then it's probably fine. Though, if it's the constant "wait for npc to come here to open the door for you" or something like "you can't move through here until the dialog has finished" then it's just legit modern bs.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options