Duke4.net Forums: [How to] code new quotes - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[How to] code new quotes

User is offline   CeeJay 

If I wanted to make a small little mod for EDuke which adds new quotes for Duke (in addition to replacing the existing ones), what would be the easiest way of doing it?

I have never modded for EDuke before, and just a little for vanilla Duke so keep that in mind.

Thank you.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostCeeJay, on 30 December 2016 - 10:17 PM, said:

If I wanted to make a small little mod for EDuke which adds new quotes for Duke (in addition to replacing the existing ones), what would be the easiest way of doing it?

I have never modded for EDuke before, and just a little for vanilla Duke so keep that in mind.

Thank you.

Similar to replacing quotes; go to your 'User.con' file and edit the definequote list and then add to them.

definequote 125 MY QUOTE 125
definequote 192 MY QUOTE 192

I think the maximum quote slots available are still limited to 192. :lol:

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I think limit is higher but the limit takes the available slots of "defines"
AMC TC and my mod has WAyyyyyyyyy over 192.

I think is old school Duke that only allow you 192.

I have close to 930 quotes.
AMC TC probably more.

Define sounds used to have limit.
Now is like quotes.
Takes the global define limit.

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 01 January 2017 - 06:25 AM

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I think CeeJay means voice quotes, not the text strings that the CON language calls "quotes".

The first step in the process is adding new sounds to the game. These have two parts, a define statement that associates a name with an ID number, and a definesound statement that specifies the filename of the sound you want to play, and some other options.

As for how the sounds are played, this gets a little bit involved because you have to start digging into the procedural scripting language of the game. To start, look at "state jib_sounds" in GAME.CON. You can see many chained ifrnd commands that randomly choose between several sounds to play. You can fairly easily change this into a randvar call and a switch/case statement to make the code much cleaner, then you can simply increase the number of sounds possible.

This is not a very good explanation, but hopefully it's enough of a skeleton that you can do your own research by looking at the CON files, the Wiki, tutorials on RTCM, and so on.

User is offline   CeeJay 

Yes I meant sound or voices, sorry for being a little unclear.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options