Duke4.net Forums: New Duke Nukem Forever Beta screenshot? Fake? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Duke Nukem Forever Beta screenshot? Fake?  "Hello all, I've happened upon this curious image"

User is offline   Romulus 

I have a feeling that "DukeED" for DNF is clunky and probably is too complicated for the average modder, not to mention terribly buggy and unoptimized. Even if Gearbox wanted to release it, it wouldn't have been of any use. But I agree with MusicallyInspired whole heartedly that they missed a trick or two with the unlockables.

I know I'll probably get bashed for saying this but the game that was able to really capture the '80s vibe with references and good humor is Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. Sure, the gameplay becomes repetitive after awhile but they at least managed to get the story, the atmosphere, the attitude of the protagonist and the humor just right. Bulletstorm is a good game in it's own rights, but I remember reading in an article published by Kotaku where they said Bulletstorm is what DNF should have been. They couldn't have been more wrong. And the way I see it, Pitchford being the clever businessman he is, is using the Bulletstorm franchise to milk some more money out of it and throwing a poorly made Duke Model into the mix with a few new voice recording by JSJ as a cashgrab from us devoted Duketards. If Duke is to make a comeback, the game should go back to it's FPS root, which is Duke3D. Sorry for the off topic.

This post has been edited by Romulus: 21 December 2016 - 06:54 PM

User is offline   Adekis 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 December 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

Modding tools have never hurt any company who provided them. It's just greed.

Classic Duke should have been an unlockable MP player model. Man, they could have done so many cool unlockables if they weren't going to go near mod tools. That would have been enough to save it for me I think. It'd have to be a lot of cool ones, though. But there's absolutely zilch in that department either.

That'd be great! Who knows, maybe someday- but then again, it's unlikely any future Duke games will use the Forever model anyway, given the negative backlash. He sure looks different in Bulletstorm, for example. Speaking of which:

View PostRomulus, on 21 December 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

I know I'll probably get bashed for saying this but the game that was able to really capture the '80s vibe with references and good humor is Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. Sure, the gameplay becomes repetitive after awhile but they at least managed to get the story, the atmosphere, the attitude of the protagonist and the humor just right. Bulletstorm is a good game in it's own rights, but I remember reading in an article published by Kotaku where they said Bulletstorm is what DNF should have been. They couldn't have been more wrong. And the way I see it, Pitchford being the clever businessman he is, is using the Bulletstorm franchise to milk some more money out of it and throwing a poorly made Duke Model into the mix with a few new voice recording by JSJ as a cashgrab from us devoted Duketards. If Duke is to make a comeback, the game should go back to it's FPS root, which is Duke3D. Sorry for the off topic.

I can't speak with regard to it myself, nor to Far Cry for that matter, but why don't you think Bulletstorm would make a good Duke game?

Sure adding Duke to it is "clever business", sure it's a cashgrab, but I don't see how that indicates a poor idea. I love Duke Nukem 3D and I'll probably be playing it when I'm ninety, but I don't think Duke should be relegated to it and nothing else, as though he's only got one good game in him. There's more to the character than 1996, isn't there?

Throwing Duke Nukem in to the Bulletstorm world is not a bad idea, but the execution of the portrayal of Duke Nukem as a character within the game is going to be crucial. Knowing Gearbox, they probably won't be able to do justice to the character.

What I'm about to say will probably earn me a bunch of downvotes. But I'll say it anyways. The 1996 Duke Nukem 3D is the epitome of Duke Nukem as a character. Let's assume Duke 3D never happened. There wouldn't be any reason for gamers to have an obsession or interest for the 2D sidescrolling Duke Nukem games if Duke Nukem 3D from 1996 never happened. The tone for the tongue in cheek politically incorrect bad assery was set by DN3D and there maybe more to what DN3D brought us to Duke Nukem as a character in '96, but without DN3D's Duke as a core, there's no "Duke Nukem."

Pardon the poorly formed sentences, English isn't my native language.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 December 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

Well it doesn't.

Looks pretty close in those menu shots to me.

I find it a little astonishing that AHB is the one behind Douche Nukem. I mean ...ouch. I hope in a future Duke game they'll go with one like the 3DR's model, but I have my doubts.
1)Gearbox could have changed it back to 3DR's model, but didn't.
2)They reused the DNF model for Bulletstorm Full Clip Edition, was really hoping to see a new model, but...you know how the story goes.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Because Gearbox doesn't care what fans want. They don't listen to feedback.

and all they care about is Cash

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostRomulus, on 22 December 2016 - 12:13 AM, said:

Throwing Duke Nukem in to the Bulletstorm world is not a bad idea, but the execution of the portrayal of Duke Nukem as a character within the game is going to be crucial. Knowing Gearbox, they probably won't be able to do justice to the character.

What I'm about to say will probably earn me a bunch of downvotes. But I'll say it anyways. The 1996 Duke Nukem 3D is the epitome of Duke Nukem as a character. Let's assume Duke 3D never happened. There wouldn't be any reason for gamers to have an obsession or interest for the 2D sidescrolling Duke Nukem games if Duke Nukem 3D from 1996 never happened. The tone for the tongue in cheek politically incorrect bad assery was set by DN3D and there maybe more to what DN3D brought us to Duke Nukem as a character in '96, but without DN3D's Duke as a core, there's no "Duke Nukem."

Pardon the poorly formed sentences, English isn't my native language.

To add in, the small cut scene they showed of Duke, he has the exact same animations as the main character he replaces. What will be really jarring is if Duke refers to people by name, but those characters refer to him as "Grayson" and never by his actual name. Afterall, would they spend the time and money to get those original voice actors back to record new lines for the change?

User is offline   Mark 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 17 December 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Seeing those cool renders gave me the ambition to make a pic of TeaMonster's Duke from the HRP. No fancy rendering program. Just Mapster. Damn good for a lower poly game version.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: TM's Duke.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 24 December 2016 - 03:48 PM

View PostHulkNukem, on 24 December 2016 - 02:34 PM, said:

To add in, the small cut scene they showed of Duke, he has the exact same animations as the main character he replaces. What will be really jarring is if Duke refers to people by name, but those characters refer to him as "Grayson" and never by his actual name. Afterall, would they spend the time and money to get those original voice actors back to record new lines for the change?

I thought about that too. But I think they'll adjust the dialogues accordingly.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostRomulus, on 21 December 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

I have a feeling that "DukeED" for DNF is clunky and probably is too complicated for the average modder, not to mention terribly buggy and unoptimized. Even if Gearbox wanted to release it, it wouldn't have been of any use.

I wonder if it's as broken as the Daikatana Ion Radiant is, or if it's even better shape for some reason? (Ion Radiant has multiple tools/features that doesn't function just because the editor is that tampered from the original QERadiant) If it isn't, it wouldn't be too bad still because I actually went and got started on the ion radiant without that much past editor experience and now I've already done some quite amount of stuff with it, including breakable walls, secrets and timed blinking lights forexample. And fairly sure if you'd have some sort of understanding problem with the DukeED, you could utilize some Unreal Editor guide for it and make sense of the problem with it.

All in all, I still think it should be released because it was also 3DR's promise and GB should respect that imo.

View PostAdekis, on 21 December 2016 - 10:59 PM, said:

but why don't you think Bulletstorm would make a good Duke game?

Because the game has very different core design on it. It's a game in the Painkiller/Serious Sam world, where you move from arena to arena and have completely linear levels with forced cinematic sections. Duke3D was a game heavily inspired by Doom and it expanded on everything that you could possibly expand-on within the working Doom gameplay's world of realm. You got still the keycard hunts in it, enemies and bosses but the expansions are focus on vertical level design, detailed rooms with importance (teared poster which has a cave behind it), vents and underwater gameplay.. So, pretty much none of which Bulletstorm includes.

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 28 December 2016 - 03:16 PM

User is offline   Duke4Beta 

View Postspessu_sb, on 28 December 2016 - 03:13 PM, said:

Because the game has very different core design on it. It's a game in the Painkiller/Serious Sam world, where you move from arena to arena and have completely linear levels with forced cinematic sections. Duke3D was a game heavily inspired by Doom and it expanded on everything that you could possibly expand-on within the working Doom gameplay's world of realm. You got still the keycard hunts in it, enemies and bosses but the expansions are focus on vertical level design, detailed rooms with importance (teared poster which has a cave behind it), vents and underwater gameplay.. So, pretty much none of which Bulletstorm includes.

THIS is a perfect summary of it's game design. Thank you for putting it in such free-flowing, natural words. It's a perfect example of how to summarize game play on a game design document or something of the like.

This post has been edited by Duke4Beta: 28 December 2016 - 08:39 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I found painkiller to be very boring in that regard.

View PostTea Monster, on 28 December 2016 - 11:23 PM, said:

I found painkiller to be very boring in that regard.

In what regard?

Yes, PK is a game that is very much different from a Duke game but the original PK still atleast to me, is kinda nice. I certainly think that it's way better than anything FWH have created, because you can clearly see the still PC focused design in PK atleast.

View PostDuke4Beta, on 28 December 2016 - 08:38 PM, said:

THIS is a perfect summary of it's game design. Thank you for putting it in such free-flowing, natural words. It's a perfect example of how to summarize game play on a game design document or something of the like.

No problem :lol:

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 29 December 2016 - 01:53 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

It seemed very generic. I was painfully aware of being locked into little rooms with the monsters and it seemed you were progressing from one 'room' to another, even when you were outside.

User is offline   Mark 

I only played the 2 or 3 shareware demo levels. Even though it had that blocked off area by area approach I enjoyed the game a lot because it was so different than other games I had been playing. It had what I thought were fantastic graphics for the time plus I was playing it with 3D LCD glasses which bumped up the wow factor. Being just a novice gamer that approach in PK probably kept me from too many discouraging deaths.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 23 December 2016 - 11:42 PM, said:

I find it a little astonishing that AHB is the one behind Douche Nukem. I mean ...ouch. I hope in a future Duke game they'll go with one like the 3DR's model, but I have my doubts.

Not just the character, but a lot of the DNF level design. Sure, the linearity is mostly due to the consoles, but if he truly knew what made Duke 3D great, he would have pushed for some more openness. It's like the developers of Deus Ex: Invisible War completely misunderstanding why the first one was so good, as the original was sort of a fluke combination of gameplay elements, not unlike Duke 3D given its rapid evolution.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 24 December 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

Because Gearbox doesn't care what fans want. They don't listen to feedback.

Give Gearbox some credit. Randy definitely listens to feedback, then rejects it.

View PostTea Monster, on 30 December 2016 - 01:06 AM, said:

It seemed very generic. I was painfully aware of being locked into little rooms with the monsters and it seemed you were progressing from one 'room' to another, even when you were outside.

That was the deal with pk, going from arena to arena and I'm not a fan of it myself either but that's what it was. Eventhough it was like that, I do think they made it work surprisingly well.

I don't think game was generic. You got quite alotta different themes in it (mainly un-visited ones) such as icy mountains with ninjas, dirty industrial facility in modern setting with un-dead old rifle soldiers, persian like palaces and an opera house that's under renovation.. Gun thing was also done in bit different way where you had this pretty unique weapon called stakelauncher and weirdly combined altfires such as rocketlauncher and minigun in same, shotgun and freezeshot or shurikens and beambased lightning in same.

View PostDuke4Beta, on 05 December 2016 - 05:23 PM, said:

Hello all!

I've bought an old computer on Ebay with a working windows install and happened upon several archives labled D.7z, but they are all password protected.

The only image besides the standard windows wallpapers was this one, any one good at cracking 7z files? Would this be illegal? Doesn't this look a bit like 2003 beta Duke Nukem Forever? It looks like the humble beginnings of a level.

I'm very fascinated by this discovery!

EDIT : Here we go.

http://imgur.com/a/zM7Yu

Hey, that's an AMAZING coincidence, because that is EXACTLY what happened to me, down to the password protected .7Z files and the single unencrypted image. Except that in my case, the image looked like this: http://imgur.com/a/WIot8 and it's just as real as yours.
What do you say? Maybe there are other computers like this around! We should extend our search and buy every old computer we can put our hands on!

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 09 January 2017 - 03:46 AM

My computer is like this also... but I am keeping my images private.

Except for this one... this is a great model of Duke Nukem from Duke Nukem Forever...
Spoiler

:lol:

CatNapDreams

This post has been edited by CatNapDreams: 09 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 10 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

User is offline   Duke4Beta 

Ahahaha! The sarcasm is hilarious! :( :D :lol: :D :devil:

I know it's fishy, and unlikely, but weird stuff happens, yeah? I suppose if someone were working on a mod they were all too eager to announce (even if with a limited skill set), it'd be quite a terrible thing to announce it and receive a C&D. Hell, I really wanted Duke Nukem Reloaded to come out, and the Half life mod that was in works looked awesome too. A Ue4 mod wouldn't be THAT bad.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options