Duke4.net Forums: New Duke Nukem Forever Beta screenshot? Fake? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Duke Nukem Forever Beta screenshot? Fake?  "Hello all, I've happened upon this curious image"

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Interesting!

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

I didn't know it was possible to rip DNF assets and import them into UE4. :lol:

I guess the plot thickens?

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Is that the old 3DRealms Duke model?

• Polymancer

View PostRichard Shead, on 16 December 2016 - 09:00 AM, said:

I didn't know it was possible to rip DNF assets and import them into UE4. :lol:

Of course it is. They've used the DNF models in that SS3 mod and in GMod.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostHulkNukem, on 16 December 2016 - 02:01 PM, said:

Is that the old 3DRealms Duke model?

Yep, which is available inside of the DNF assets. You can even see it's a shit job because the glove texture is MIA.

• Polymancer

LOL, I had to fix that when I put my version together. It comes with a facial rig as well, so Duke can sneer at his enemies.

It's a bit of a shame that all the people who are messing with this stuff have no idea on how to properly use them.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 17 December 2016 - 02:24 AM

• Judge Mental

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Kawa 

Oh that looks nice.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Very nice!

User is offline   Duke4Beta 

I was able to contact the computer seller, it was indeed a UE4 project with but a few Duke 3D style maps and a lot of ripped assets using Ninja Ripper, a 3d screenshot program, hence the large file sizes. It's a very unfinished Duke4 remake who's development has stopped in it's tracks very early on.

Very cool Duke Renders...using the stock skeleton?

Nice job. As for you comments, Commando Nukem, I'm just here to share my findings. I myself have no real knowledge of how to put that stuff all together. :lol:

By the way, great Youtube series.

This post has been edited by Duke4Beta: 17 December 2016 - 01:44 PM

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

You know I actually want to see someone pull off their own Duke game using UE4 and assets from wherever else. One-liners ripped from any high quality source, thrown together under the radar just don't put anyones name to it so when Gearbox come calling they can be told to go fuck themselves. Put it up on Mega or something. If Gearbox won't give us what we want.. It'll never happen but it'd be great to see.

User is offline   Duke4Beta 

View PostHiPolyBash, on 17 December 2016 - 06:27 PM, said:

You know I actually want to see someone pull off their own Duke game using UE4 and assets from wherever else. One-liners ripped from any high quality source, thrown together under the radar just don't put anyones name to it so when Gearbox come calling they can be told to go fuck themselves. Put it up on Mega or something. If Gearbox won't give us what we want.. It'll never happen but it'd be great to see.

I completely agree with this, I think a few people could do a much better job than a studio for some reason.

User is offline   Kawa 

Which is funny because back in the day, "the studio" was just a few people.

Now that... That looks like Duke Nukem. Just why did change they change the model in DNF? I mean what? Signify change of ownership? Appeal to a younger audience, thus a younger Duke? Straight out reboot? Puzzling....

This post has been edited by AP Dukefan94: 18 December 2016 - 05:04 AM

They'll probably change the model for Duke 5, hopefully.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 18 December 2016 - 05:01 AM, said:

Now that... That looks like Duke Nukem. Just why did change they change the model in DNF? I mean what? Signify change of ownership? Appeal to a younger audience, thus a younger Duke? Straight out reboot? Puzzling....

Probably a combination. Randy nor anyone else at Gearbox or what was Triptych has ever acknowledged it at all. I'd really like to hear their reasoning and why they're not changing him back.

• Polymancer

View PostHiPolyBash, on 17 December 2016 - 06:27 PM, said:

I've considered it a few times, but the knowledge that you are just waiting for the C&D to arrive puts me off each time. For whatever reason, GBX hates modding. Time to move onto something else.

• Judge Mental

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 18 December 2016 - 05:01 AM, said:

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 December 2016 - 08:23 AM, said:

Probably a combination. Randy nor anyone else at Gearbox or what was Triptych has ever acknowledged it at all. I'd really like to hear their reasoning and why they're not changing him back.

The change to Duke was Allen Blum's work, actually. He did the concept art for that. Which only makes the changes even more perplexing. Considering he should know who the character is, and what the audience is going to want from his persona.

The "Gearbox" Duke has grown on me in certain contexts. I think if Duke himself at least behaved properly, the new look for Duke wouldn't be terrible, but because he's such an unlikable fuckwit for the whole game it just doesn't work. In that sense i'm sorta glad they changed Duke's appearance. Old school Duke wasn't tainted by this mess.

View PostTea Monster, on 18 December 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

I've considered it a few times, but the knowledge that you are just waiting for the C&D to arrive puts me off each time. For whatever reason, GBX hates modding. Time to move onto something else.

Yeah... You put so much work into something only to have it taken from you. No bueno.

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostTea Monster, on 18 December 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

For whatever reason, GBX hates modding.

Do you think it's because they're afraid of the fans creating a superior product to DNF(which wouldn't be very hard to do)?

For an entity claiming to have Duke's best interests in mind, they sure are screwing over those who want to pay tribute. :lol:

• The Sarien Encounter

Whatever reason it is, it is a stupid and not very well thought out one.

[quote name='Commando Nukem' timestamp='1482082951' post='268740']
The change to Duke was Allen Blum's work, actually. He did the concept art for that. Which only makes the changes even more perplexing. Considering he should know who the character is, and what the audience is going to want from his persona.
Now that answers a lot...but in the game's concept art once you beat the game. There is an image from 2001 or 2003 (cant remember) that shows a Duke model that has some similarity with the final model, but their years apart though?

On the modding subject, I think either Gearbox themselves or their publisher doesn't release mod tools since it would hurt interest for future installments as fans could easily create their own "sequels" with modding, ruinning future sales for the company. I don't think its a bad thing on the Dev/Pub's side of things, sometimes you have to see things on the other foot. In the end though, we still got good'ol eDuke32😎

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 December 2016 - 02:02 PM, said:

Whatever reason it is, it is a stupid and not very well thought out one.

I know, what could they have to lose?

• Judge Mental

The one hanging out in the bathroom with a shotgun? Yeah, it has some minor similarities with the GBX Duke, but it's actually got more in common with the Box Art of Duke3D. (Black pants, tall leather boots.) The face on that one is also much more in line with Duke's more grizzily "box art" look form games like Time To Kill and Zero Hour. (Still my favorite look for Duke is that post-Duke3D artwork.)

• The Sarien Encounter

Modding tools have never hurt any company who provided them. It's just greed.

Classic Duke should have been an unlockable MP player model. Man, they could have done so many cool unlockables if they weren't going to go near mod tools. That would have been enough to save it for me I think. It'd have to be a lot of cool ones, though. But there's absolutely zilch in that department either.

You can always develop a fan-game entirely in private, but then it takes away from the fun of showing it off, and if you're in a team (which is pretty much a requirement for a 3D Duke FPS) then there's always the risk of another team member posting something.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Which happened once already

If you're referring to Cataclysm, that wasn't developed in private. It had a thread on this very forum, and was C&D'd because someone unrelated to the project posted about it on the Gearbox forums.
By private I mean literally nobody except the team knowing about it until it's released.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

(Referencing earlier conversation in this thread) The change in the Duke model was because they wanted to make the facial structure of Duke to look more like this:

Posted Image

And this:
Posted Image

As a point of reference:
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Striker: 20 December 2016 - 04:15 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Well it doesn't.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 December 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

Well it doesn't.

Yeah, if looking like those was the intention, they failed horribly

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options