Duke4.net Forums: [Release] Bad case of Mondays - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Release] Bad case of Mondays

I did not see a sticky on this subforum with general rules. So uh. I hope it's not bad form to come back after.. 7? years only to post a map. If so, pardon me please. But I'd like for some people to see my map and I refuse to buy the Gearbox version to put it on their more active Workshop.

So way way way way back in 2008-2009 I started on an office map . Real life hit harder than expected, and my interest in DN3D faded for quite some time. A few months ago I decided to pick it up again as a way to de-stress after work. I finally decided to release it on the Megaton workshop but that's fairly dead and I refuse to buy the Gearbox version to put it on their more active Workshop . Since this place still seems very active I thought I'd release it here to, since I think maybe you guys enjoy it here to (Though browsing through the latest maps here makes me feel hopelessly inadequate... ).

==
READ ME FILE for Bad Case of Mondays

A usermap by Thedutchjelle for Duke Nukem 3D.
Music "Aftermath" by Kevin Macleod, https://incompetech....rc=USUAN1100575

GAMEPLAY INFORMATION
SINGLEPLAYER: Supported
DIFFICULTIES: Implemented, 1-4. 4 is probably not winnable, but for those who love pain I'd say give it a whirl.
COOPERATIVE: Implemented, although not balanced for this and thus not recommended.
DUKEMATCH: No.
SECRETS: Yes.

MAP INFORMATION
Release date: November 2016
Hours construction time: Way, way to much.
Programs used: Mapster32, Eduke32, Duke Nukem Megaton edition.
Locale: Officebuilding/commercial building.
Background story: About 25 years ago, a group of human traffickers were running their operation from a commercial officebuilding, using the rented place as a cover-up for their purposes.
Eventually, the FBI managed to get wind of them, and all were arrested. Unfortunatly, not a single victim was found, despite the cops having secured all exits.. thus the rumours started to spread
about a secret tunnel that the smugglers and traffickers built somewhere under their office space. Tainted by such a dark past, the unit sat abandoned for years until eventually it was forgotten and built over.

Duke knows he's the best of the best, but even the best of the best can die and run out of ammo. He ran into a building, with the legions of outer space on his heels. "Dammit," he snarled, "Can I not get a moments rest to grab a drink
anymore?". Although it pains his ego, Duke has no option but to wait out to worst part of the search. That was 10 minutes ago. It started to rain, and Duke it getting pretty pissed off at his current situation. He can't leave
the way he came into the building as he would be obliterated.. but Duke remembers the rumours about this place. Can he find the secret exit tunnel?

Difficulty:
Piece of Cake: Fairly easy, no powerful monsters, some fodder and plenty of ammo.
Let's Rock: Recommended for first time. Plenty of monsters to shred, with some commanders or newbeasts lurking about. My beta-tester solved this without dying and with no prior knowledge, so it's doable.
Come get some: Prepare to get messed up by a flood of monsters. Commanders and Newbeasts more plentiful.
Damn I'm Good: I don't actually expect you to win.

Please note that this map is intended for exploration, as it has no keycards to guide you to the next section. If you hate that, this map might not be for you.

Author's comment: This map was started way way back in 2007. Real life interfered, and I was never able to complete it, until now. It has some of my best shadow work in it :-). As an experiment, I wanted to make a map
which did not have a single keycard door, yet still required some exploring. Thus, the player must explore the office building to find the derelict offices and the exit tunnel within. Originally I planned this to be a horror
map, but DN3D does not lend itself for it. Instead, I added a boatload of monsters - they're looking for you! - and made ammo sparse. Make every shot count, I'd say.

KNOWN BUGS:
Yes, one known. A ventilation shaft near the red-coloured office unit has the possibility to teleport Duke through the floor to another floor.
Minor update: While playing this map on Megaton, I experienced 2 CTDs that I have not experienced before. I do not know wether this is because of the map, because of Megaton, or because of something else entirely.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Thedutchjelle: 08 November 2016 - 12:51 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

Wow. Just wow.
While there's nothing exceptional about the map's design - which is simple, 3DR-like style, althrough it's solid and proffesional. But not the design or gameplay, but It's biggest asset, the lighting, which makes this map great. I've played a lot of good maps over the years, but this one is probably one of the best maps EVER - in terms of lights and shadows, of course. :mellow:
Monster and ammo ratio is OK on Let's Rock difficulty, and there's a very moody/mystery atmospehre in it, like it's a detective movie or smth. The stairs made of sprites looks pretty dated, but it's not downright ugly so i get used to it.
Unfortunately, the only negative point about the map is it's most important aspect, i.e. the gameplay. I spent about 15 mins to kill most of the enemies, and I spent another 15 just wandering around, looking for anything so I can progress. Exploration type maps is always a good thing, but it's not fun, it's just downright boring when it's a claustrophobic office like this. But anyway, I really liked this map, the design and attention to lighting is great and so, thank you for such a release! :)

Thank you for your kind and honest words Sanek. I'm glad you liked the shadow detailing. The gameplay is hurting.. I'm sorry for that! My beta-tester struggled a bit to find the exit,( though I did not think too much of it at the time, a mistake on my part), and on Steam I had recieved some feedback on the exploration aspect as well, so you're not alone in this. It seems that my attempt to create an exploration-type of map did not work as well I had hoped. Lesson learned, and I will certainly avoid this in the future.

This post has been edited by Thedutchjelle: 08 November 2016 - 02:35 PM

User is online   Lunick 

View PostThedutchjelle, on 08 November 2016 - 12:50 PM, said:

I did not see a sticky on this subforum with general rules. So uh. I hope it's not bad form to come back after.. 7? years only to post a map. If so, pardon me please. But I'd like for some people to see my map and I refuse to buy the Gearbox version to put it on their more active Workshop.

I was very surprised to see an actual new map on the Megaton workshop after the release of World Tour and was almost going to post about your map here but I'm glad you made a thread about it.

It would be great if people could also grab your updated Deep Sea Rising too.

User is offline   Paul B 

I had a quick glance at your map in Mapster. I can tell it's a labor of love. It looks very well thought out and I'm looking forward to trying this map when I get home. I appreciate your attention to shadows and light sources. I'm currently working on a classic style map myself with the intentions of having a very similar visual atmosphere, similar to this. If you'd be interested in a joint map effort to complete this map I'm working on send me a pm and we can discuss the details.

User is offline   Polunka 

I will download the map later since I'm incapable of doing so right now but, judging by the comments above, I guess it must be worth playing, at least for my eyes' sake.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 09 November 2016 - 08:19 AM

User is offline   pacman 

anyone knows how to finish this map?

ive explored everything, yet there is no exit to be found

View Postpacman, on 19 February 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

anyone knows how to finish this map?

ive explored everything, yet there is no exit to be found

Spoiler

The reason for my uncertainty is that I played this map long ago, but I just happened to see your post while having some vague memories about the level pop up in my mind and proceeded to type another one. Hope this will help.

P.S.: An advice for the future: if you can't find something in a level, try looking into it via Mapster.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 19 February 2017 - 11:06 PM

User is offline   pacman 

View PostPolunka, on 19 February 2017 - 10:59 PM, said:

Spoiler

The reason for my uncertainty is that I played this map long ago, but I just happened to see your post while having some vague memories about the level pop up in my mind and proceeded to type another one. Hope this will help.

P.S.: An advice for the future: if you can't find something in a level, try looking into it via Mapster.

I can't find it, i went desperate mode and noclipped, not even that way.. thisis the biggest headache in a duke map ive ever had!!

View Postpacman, on 20 February 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

I can't find it, i went desperate mode and noclipped, not even that way.. thisis the biggest headache in a duke map ive ever had!!

OK, here ya go. And sorry for the shitty brightness, but that's how I play Duke 3D :P I'm sure the brightness level will not prevent you from finding what you're looking for.
WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD! DON'T LOOK INTO THE ATTACHMENTS TO AVOID!

P.S.:
Spoiler

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0011.png
  • Attached Image: duke0012.png

This post has been edited by Polunka: 20 February 2017 - 11:33 PM

User is offline   pacman 

View PostPolunka, on 20 February 2017 - 11:20 PM, said:

OK, here ya go. And sorry for the shitty brightness, but that's how I play Duke 3D :P I'm sure the brightness level will not prevent you from finding what you're looking for.

P.S.:
Spoiler

I'll look for it later.

I wish I still could play with my old CRT. Ever since I switched to LCD, playing dark games is unpleasant. I also used to play at default gamma, but super dark maps are unbearable on my LCD (i use a samsung 2233rz)

View Postpacman, on 20 February 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

Sorry mate. Some other people noted it was difficult to find. The hint is in the read-me file, there is a tunnel/vent in the derelict office. I hope you enjoyed the rest of the map though.

View PostPolunka, on 20 February 2017 - 11:20 PM, said:

OK, here ya go. And sorry for the shitty brightness, but that's how I play Duke 3D :( I'm sure the brightness level will not prevent you from finding what you're looking for.

P.S.:
Spoiler

That's waaay darker than it was for me! :( On my computer it was shaded, but not pitch black as it was at your place.

I had intended it to be a bit of a find, but I had hoped the random cupboard in the empty room would make people investigate. As I've mentioned, there were some good and some bad things in this map, and I know now that I won't do it again in this manner.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options