Duke4.net Forums: Rank your favourite build engine games - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rank your favourite build engine games

User is offline   neznam 

In what order would you rank the build engine games you've played according to how much you enjoyed them?

For me:

1.) Blood
2.) Witchaven/Witchaven 2
3.) Shadow Warrior
4.) Duke Nukem 3D
6.) Legend of the Seven Paladins
7.) Powerslave

Haven't played TekWar.

This post has been edited by neznam: 31 October 2016 - 08:56 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

7.) Powerslave
Posted Image

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I'm surprised to see the Witchavens and Lo7P anywhere other than the bottom of the list with Extreme Paintbrawl.

User is offline   neznam 

View PostHendricks266, on 31 October 2016 - 08:30 PM, said:

I'm surprised to see the Witchavens and Lo7P anywhere other than the bottom of the list with Extreme Paintbrawl.

Witchaven had good atmosphere + I found the melee thing & breaking weapons to be pleasantly refreshing, although rough around the edges. A bit of a guilty pleasure.
I sort of liked the bullet hell-ish thing Lot7P had. Boring level design, but very fast paced and frantic. Also nice music.

This post has been edited by neznam: 31 October 2016 - 08:52 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

My #1 isn't out yet.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostTerminX, on 31 October 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

My #1 isn't out yet.

;)

Looking forward to it.

Early 2017, or what is the current release date?

User is offline   MetHy 

1) Blood / Duke Nukem 3D
2) Shadow Warrior
3) Powerslave / Redneck Rampage Rides Again
4) Redneck Rampage
5) NAM / WWII GI

Haven't played the others yet

PS: There is this Build general thread with this poll

This post has been edited by MetHy: 01 November 2016 - 12:38 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I've only played and completed Blood and Duke3D, normally I would say Duke3D is the greatest but damn, I played through all of Blood the first time within the last year or two and fuck, I love it so much.
1. Blood
Close 2. Duke 3D
3. Powerslave EX (which I know isn't the real PC version but I still enjoyed it all the same)
4. and 5. Shadow Warrior (which I can never play beyond the second level) Redneck Rampage (based on the single level demo I played back in the 90's with the guy driving in a circle crushing chickens)
I haven't played any others

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostHulkNukem, on 01 November 2016 - 12:49 AM, said:

3. Powerslave EX (which I know isn't the real PC version but I still enjoyed it all the same)

Powerslave EX isn't Build, and it isn't based on the Build version of the game. It's based on the console version (more specifically the PS1 version), which is a completely different game sharing the same assets. Saturn version got released first, but Build version was made first.
This being said, Kaiser hinted at showing interests in remaking Build games in his engine. He said he'd still do it even if he got a C&D on his Blood remake, so my theory is he may be working on a remake of both PC and console version of Powerslave for Nightdive. Just a theory though.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 01 November 2016 - 12:57 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMetHy, on 01 November 2016 - 12:56 AM, said:

This being said, Kaiser hinted at showing interests in remaking Build games in his engine. He said he'd still do it even if he got a C&D on his Blood remake, so my theory is he may be working on a remake of both PC and console version of Powerslave for Nightdive. Just a theory though.

Night Dive never actually got the rights to Powerslave. They were just blowing smoke.

Kaiser is definitely working on Powerslave EX (PS1 version remake) and Blood EX in his free time.

1. Quest for Bin Laden
2. Legend of the 7 Paladins
3. Plunder & Pillage
4. Fate
5. Tekwar
6. Redneck Rampage: Deer Huntin
7. Liquidator

;)

User is offline   MetHy 

Deer Huntin actually is fun for what it is.

Well this will be stupid of me but I've only played one Build game (or would it be considered two?)

Duke Nukem 3D-XBOX 360
Duke Nukem Total Meltdown-PS1

Having only played some of them very briefly, here's the only list I can give honestly and is based on how they feel at release, on DOS/9X gear.

1 > Duke Nukem 3D - Always come back to this one.
2 > Shadow Warrior - A very close second! As this list is based on original releases, SW seemed much more refined than Duke 3D and feels as though it plays 'smoother' somehow.
3 > Redneck Rampage - It's decent, but only in short bursts and I've never bothered finishing it. Quite a gap between this and SW. Not bad but certainly flawed, still fun.
4 > Witchaven - Not a bad game, but not my cup of tea. I loved the atmosphere in this one and its sequel.
5 > Blood - A tragic waste of something that could have been great, it simply doesn't work.

Apparently my space bar is busted.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 01 November 2016 - 12:31 PM

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

1. Blood.
2. Duke Nukem 3D.

Other games I do not like at all.

User is offline   NNC 

1. Duke Nukem 3d
2. Shadow Warrior
3. Redneck Rampage (it could have been a lot better)

I don't like Blood at all, and haven't played other Build games.

10/10
1. Duke Nukem 3D
2. Blood
9/10
3. Shadow Warrior
8/10
4. Redneck Rampage

User is offline   neznam 

View PostHigh Treason, on 01 November 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

5 > Blood - A tragic waste of something that could have been great, it simply doesn't work.

Interesting to hear you say that. What do you mean?

User is offline   neznam 

View PostCryptKiller, on 01 November 2016 - 11:38 AM, said:

>no Quest for Hussein

Posted Image

View Postneznam, on 01 November 2016 - 05:25 PM, said:

Interesting to hear you say that. What do you mean?

Because it isn't reliable. So far as I know, V1.21 improved that and it runs decently in DOSBox, but I dislike the gameplay changes (some significant changes were done to mechanics) and I never use DOSBox outside of testing an idea.

I refer to the weirdest bug I've ever seen; https://youtu.be/AGwtALejyfQ?t=1657 though that part in general was by far the most messed up.
Edit: I just noticed something in that video. At one point I remarked how I'd found a weird sound... Well, I've noticed a weird voice at the 29 minute marker. Huh, that's really strange, because the game wasn't running, radio interference maybe? I suppose I could go into tinfoil mode and blame ghost-alien-zombie-government-Illuminati-Mandela-effect beings from another dimension or something... There are actually a few in the whole LP, there's a woman's voice in one part (and I assure you, there are no women in my house, especially in the early hours when that was recorded) and a few coughs that aren't mine, one even happens when I'm talking as if it was in the same room but I don't remember what part. You know, I forgot how weird that LP was.

It's a great game when it works and would sit close to Shadow Warrior, maybe even higher because it wins points for originality, given I've never seen another game quite the same and it has never been cloned really, the closest being the original Painkiller in the vibe it gives off, but it's a completely different genre.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 01 November 2016 - 06:46 PM

User is offline   axl 

1. Duke Nukem 3D

This needs no explanation. Level design, gameplay, atmosphere... A childhood classic and probably my favorite game of all time (along with Doom).

2. Blood

Amazing, overlooked game. The first 3 episodes have top notch level design (on par with Duke Nukem 3D). The atmosphere is truely unique. However, it is buggier than Duke, not all weapons are balanced (for example, I never ever use the lifeleech), episode 4 is clearly a mixed bag and bossfights are a bit lacking (tchernobog is a bit of a dissapointment)... Still an amazing game: top 10.

3. Shadow Warrior

A good game, but definitely not on par with the 2 games above. Lo Wang just isn't that funny, level design can be a bit boring in the later levels, weird episode structure, ...

4. Redneck Rampage Rides Again

A vast improvement over the original. But gameplay just isn't well implemented... It's a shame because it has really interesting levels...

5. Redneck Rampage

A mixed bag. Complicated level structure, bad gameplay, ...

Never played Powerslave on PC...

When it comes to pure technical prowess, AMC TC easily takes the cake.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options