Duke4.net Forums: The Duke Game Engines - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Duke Game Engines  "What engines powered each individual game?"

Here are couple of source for Duke Nukem D-Day:
http://m.ign.com/gam...d-day/ps2-15547
http://dukenukem.wik...m:_Man_of_Valor
To me it sounds like n-Space had big issues trying to get the engine and other tech to properly work, thus abandoning the project.

This post has been edited by AP Dukefan94: 21 October 2016 - 10:39 PM

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

View PostHendricks266, on 21 October 2016 - 08:44 PM, said:

I would be highly surprised if Alien Rampage was related to ProGraphx.

Same here. It's a VGA game and ProGraphx only did EGA stuff. It was only labelled EGA/VGA because VGA is backwards compatible with EGA. Since the sidescroller Duke 4ever was Keith Schuler's project, I would assume it used an enhanced version of of the MACH engine, which was used in Keith's latest sidescroller project Realms of Chaos. That's just my assumption, though, maybe someone with access to the leaked alpha or whatever it was has more info on that.

I doubt Cosmo and DN2 had much to do with ProGraphx to begin with. As I pointed out earlier, the low-level tile drawing code in Cosmo/DN2 works differently than the 8x8 pixel tile drawing in any game using the real ProGraphx routines. For example, the mask bits are inverted in Cosmo and DN2, and the drawing code does the masking on the CPU instead of programming the EGA card's mask registers. Not sure which version is faster. Since drawing tiles is pretty much the only thing ProGraphx does, I doubt Cosmo's codebase actually used ProGraphx.

@K1n_Duk3, forgive me, I really don't know how any game is 'really built', but from understanding how a lot people are far more superior to the subject as I am, I will change DN2 to the CCA engine. I will make an updated list soon that will be more accurate. Also are there any other Duke games I may have left out, since I mainly know of the big boys since i made this post?

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 22 October 2016 - 03:48 AM, said:

@K1n_Duk3, forgive me, I really don't know how any game is 'really built', but from understanding how a lot people are far more superior to the subject as I am, I will change DN2 to the CCA engine. I will make an updated list soon that will be more accurate. Also are there any other Duke games I may have left out, since I mainly know of the big boys since i made this post?

No need to apologize. I wouldn't trust a random stranger on the internet either. Especially when he/she writes stuff that somewhat contradicts what Scott Miller wrote about Duke 2 in the Bio Menace freeware release notes. ;)

Scott said:

Replogle created his own [engine] for Duke Nukem 2 (based on his original Duke Nukem engine, with dual parallax scrolling, a feature not available in Id's engine)

Scott wrote that in 2005, about 12 years after Duke 2 was released, so I guess memories were a bit faded by then. And IIRC 3D Realms either never had any source code for Duke Nukem 1 and 2 or had already "lost" it by 2005.

Here it is, the Duke Games Engines list, version 1.3D:

Duke Nukem 1- ProGraphx Engine
Duke Nukem 2- Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure engine
Duke Nukem 3D- Build engine
Duke Nukem 3D (Sega Saturn)- SlaveDriver engine
Duke Nukem 64- EuroBuild engine
Duke Nukem Total Meltdown- Build engine
Duke Nukem Time to Kill- n-Space 'in-house' engine
Duke Nukem Zero Hour- EuroBuild engine
Duke Nukem Land of the Babes- n-Space 'in-house' engine
Duke Nukem Manhattan Project- Prism 3D engine
Duke Nukem Advanced- Southpaw engine
Duke Nukem Forever- heavily modified Unreal engine (Not sure which # (1,2,2.5 ???))

Cancelled Duke Games:
Duke Nukem 4Ever- Possible Enhanced MACH or 3D Realms/Apogee 'in-house' engine
Duke Nukem Endangered Species- AtmosFear engine
Duke Nukem D-Day- Unreal engine
Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded- Unreal 3 engine
Duke Nukem Mass Destruction- Unreal 3 engine

The only one I cannot find is what Duke Nukem Critical Mass was built with for the DS, but it is interesting to know that the PSP version's source code is preserved at the Library of Congress.

Also, do you guys think the obscure mobile games should be added into the list?

User is offline   Lunick 

Obviously wikis can be edited by people and not provide sources but I see Duke Nukem Forever referenced as Unreal Engine 1 so much that I pretty much go with that
Posted Image
Source

Also, duke's system.ini has the lines:
UseDirectDraw=True
UseDirectInput=False
And others which were only present in UT1 Engines.

Source

Yah, with DNF, I agree with you, as it clearly seems outdated compare to other unreal engine games I have in my game collection. Those games are powered by UE3, I always thought they kept using UE1by updating throughout the games development cycle. Ive seen some people say, parts of UE2 and UE2.5 were used to upgrade DNF engine, but don't really know for sure. Maybe i should leave DNF's entry as just saying 'powered by Unreal' instead which # it is since there seems to be a lot of speculation.

This post has been edited by AP Dukefan94: 23 October 2016 - 04:51 AM

Alright, here is again a revised listing, hopefully Im getting closer:

Duke Nukem 1- ProGraphx EGA/VGA Toolbox
Duke Nukem 2- Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure engine
Duke Nukem 3D- Build engine
Duke Nukem 3D (Sega Saturn)- SlaveDriver engine
Duke Nukem 64- EuroBuild engine
Duke Nukem Total Meltdown- Build engine
Duke Nukem Time to Kill- n-Space 'in-house' engine
Duke Nukem Zero Hour- EuroBuild engine
Duke Nukem Land of the Babes- n-Space 'in-house' engine
Duke Nukem Manhattan Project- Prism 3D engine
Duke Nukem Advanced- Southpaw engine
Duke Nukem Forever- DNF engine, originally Unreal 1 that became updated from Unreal 2 that eventually branched off into its engine

Cancelled Duke Games:
Duke Nukem 4Ever- Possible Enhanced MACH or 3D Realms/Apogee 'in-house' engine
Duke Nukem Endangered Species- AtmosFear engine
Duke Nukem D-Day- Unreal engine
Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded- Unreal 3 engine
Duke Nukem Mass Destruction- Unreal 3 engine

The only one I still cannot find is what Duke Nukem Critical Mass was built with for the DS

Also, do you guys think the obscure mobile games should be added into the list?

This post has been edited by AP Dukefan94: 27 October 2016 - 04:30 AM

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 23 October 2016 - 05:19 AM, said:

Duke Nukem 1- ProGraphx Engine

Just a minor correction: The full name is "ProGraphx EGA/VGA Toolbox", not "ProGraphx Engine". The name can be found in the (uncompressed) executable. Source

User is offline   necroslut 

Super-necropost: I noticed nSpace's Die Hard Trilogy 2: Viva Las Vegas (at least the PS1 version, which is the only one I've played) seems suspicously similar, in terms of mechanics and visuals, to TTK/LotB. Although the engine seems to have been upgraded a bit from TTK, I'd bet it's built on the same tech.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options