Duke4.net Forums: DUKE SPOOKEM: HALLOWEEN EPISODE. - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DUKE SPOOKEM: HALLOWEEN EPISODE.  "Who's in?"

User is offline   Valhalla 

I'm a bit confused now, is the plan to still make this a small mod by the 31st? Or a high quality mod by some later date like Dan mentioned? If it's the latter I definitely want in on this project by making a level. If it's the former, I'll still try and make a short (lower quality) map, should still be quite doable since you only want original 3D Realms quality/scale maps.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostValhalla, on 04 October 2016 - 10:17 PM, said:

I'm a bit confused now, is the plan to still make this a small mod by the 31st? Or a high quality mod by some later date like Dan mentioned? If it's the latter I definitely want in on this project by making a level. If it's the former, I'll still try and make a short (lower quality) map, should still be quite doable since you only want original 3D Realms quality/scale maps.

After talking with Frog on Skype, I'm inclined to say that it's going to end up being a bigger project that takes more time. With all of the enthusiasm for this project and all the effort it will take to get it organized, and all of the content that needs to be created, it's hard to see how it could all get done this month. But that's a good problem to have -- it means the end result will be that much better. If people like yourself are sitting on the sidelines because they are afraid that it's going to be rushed, then that would be another reason to make it a longer project. Having said that, I would still be up for getting it all done this month if other people want to do it.

User is offline   Trebor_UK 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 October 2016 - 10:33 PM, said:

After talking with Frog on Skype, I'm inclined to say that it's going to end up being a bigger project that takes more time. With all of the enthusiasm for this project and all the effort it will take to get it organized, and all of the content that needs to be created, it's hard to see how it could all get done this month. But that's a good problem to have -- it means the end result will be that much better. If people like yourself are sitting on the sidelines because they are afraid that it's going to be rushed, then that would be another reason to make it a longer project. Having said that, I would still be up for getting it all done this month if other people want to do it.

Can I make a suggestion?

Why not use the bulk of pre-existing levels (similar to Nuclear Winter), and simply Halloween them up? (makeover)
Add reskins of enemies, a few new expanded areas, tweaked music, reskins of weapons, and that would suffice if you ask me.

Maybe make a Halloween version of Hollywood Holocaust as a proof of concept.

This post has been edited by Trebor_UK: 05 October 2016 - 10:42 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTrebor_UK, on 04 October 2016 - 11:42 PM, said:

Why not use the bulk of pre-existing levels (similar to Nuclear Winter), and simply Halloween them up?
Add reskins of enemies, a few new expanded areas, tweaked music, reskins of weapons, and that would suffice if you ask me.

Because there are talented level designers who have aleady expressed an interest in making new levels, and assuming they come through the results of that will be much better than what you would get from a Halloween make-over on existing levels. What you are suggesting is pretty much what I did for Duke Forces (the Star Wars TC). It's not a bad fallback position if you don't have new levels to offer, but it's a compromise and it's definitely not what you do if you can have new levels.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 October 2016 - 10:33 PM, said:

A short deadline is still good if you want anything done.

View PostMetHy, on 05 October 2016 - 12:10 AM, said:

A short deadline is still good if you want anything done.

While that's absolutely true, it then suffers from lack of quality. But on the other hand, long deadlines give you higher quality, but suffer the risk of not being finished. Neither is perfect, but I was hoping for higher quality myself, so that it feels like a proper expansion, and not just a map-pack.

User is offline   jet_nick 

For halloween we can release a demo version with hollywood holocaust in halloween style ( halloween holocaust ? ) and take more time for finish other levels for the next mouths.
for the the end of this mouth a hope to finish new enemies and weapons

This post has been edited by jet_nick: 05 October 2016 - 01:05 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I'm working on a spooky-themed skybox.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostTea Monster, on 05 October 2016 - 01:49 AM, said:

I'm working on a spooky-themed skybox.

Tea, I have added you in Skype.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 October 2016 - 11:46 PM, said:

Because there are talented level designers who have aleady expressed an interest in making new levels, and assuming they come through the results of that will be much better than what you would get from a Halloween make-over on existing levels. What you are suggesting is pretty much what I did for Duke Forces (the Star Wars TC). It's not a bad fallback position if you don't have new levels to offer, but it's a compromise and it's definitely not what you do if you can have new levels.

Not to mention that you used user maps in the main Duke Forces episode, and there's a good chance a lot of people wouldn't have played at least one of them. If the mod were to use the original game's levels like Nuclear Winter then it'd be using maps people know like the back of their hand, so they'd most likely be really dull to play through.

Plus, wasn't recycled content one of the big drawbacks of Nuclear Winter?

User is offline   Lunick 

Even though recycled content is criticised, I would like to see at least one (or two) original Duke 3D maps with a Halloween makeover just because Nuclear Winter did the same thing and is also based on a holiday.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostLunick, on 05 October 2016 - 03:06 AM, said:

Even though recycled content is criticised, I would like to see at least one (or two) original Duke 3D maps with a Halloween makeover just because Nuclear Winter did the same thing and is also based on a holiday.

We have not got so much time, but I'd like to make this idea.

You know that would be perfect for a secret level.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I think this project is gonna kick ass. I want to help out but definitely don't have the time this month to be very productive. I do have enough time to help with some smaller things (I was thinking new weapon modelling/sprite rendering...) If the team leader(s) can delegate what is needed, I'd be happy to contribute.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostDrek, on 05 October 2016 - 04:53 AM, said:

I think this project is gonna kick ass. I want to help out but definitely don't have the time this month to be very productive. I do have enough time to help with some smaller things (I was thinking new weapon modelling/sprite rendering...) If the team leader(s) can delegate what is needed, I'd be happy to contribute.

We have assembled the team. Wish us luck!

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostFrog, on 05 October 2016 - 05:09 AM, said:

I'm sorry what? I think anybody who wants to join should be welcome. We have barely done anything yet.

Since Lovecraftian horror is one of the basis of this modspansion, one of the levels could be inspired by the first 3 Alone in The Dark games. Build an haunted house that reminds Derceto from the first, Hell's Kitchen from the second or an entire cursed Old West town. Think to a whole level with those things combinated.

I'm sorry what? I think anybody who wants to join should be welcome. We have barely done anything yet.

Collectivity? Is one thing that you eat? ;)

Not to mention that you used user maps in the main Duke Forces episode, and there's a good chance a lot of people wouldn't have played at least one of them.

This russian guy played the entire Duke Forces episode actually.

https://www.youtube....JSd3FihriufbWGN

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 05 October 2016 - 06:43 AM

View PostMetHy, on 05 October 2016 - 06:04 AM, said:

Oh are they wanting to do a closed team now? Shame, I wanted to chip in with a level. ;) Guess I'll just turn this map into a usermap for it after it's released.

User is offline   Jblade 

There's plenty of room for mappers, just send Mike or Frog a message ;)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postjet_nick, on 05 October 2016 - 01:01 AM, said:

For halloween we can release a demo version with hollywood holocaust in halloween style ( halloween holocaust ? ) and take more time for finish other levels for the next mouths.
for the the end of this mouth a hope to finish new enemies and weapons

I love this idea!

User is offline   Mark 

I'm happy you guys are getting something together. The last couple of days I had been trying to decide on whether or not I should take a break from my current project and continue on a half finished "cabin in the woods" map for my Graveyard mod to release by Halloween. I'll let you guys have the fun instead. Maybe next year for me. Good luck.

User is online   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

We have already made a full plan for the maps of the episode, but I see not problem if someone comes with an original idea and theme that isn't gonna be made by us. We can release them as part of the expansion as user maps, why not?

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Holy Hand Grenades from Time to Kill just came to mind for a potential weapon.

User is offline   Mark 

Mine is high res, models, Polymer, TROR. It wouldn't fit in. I wasn't really enthused about finishing it now. Seeing that you guys are coming up with something made it easier for me to say I'll do it later. ;)

View PostMike Norvak, on 05 October 2016 - 05:00 PM, said:

We have already made a full plan for the maps of the episode, but I see not problem if someone comes with an original idea and theme that isn't gonna be made by us. We can release them as part of the expansion as user maps, why not?

Works for me, less pressure on releasing it quickly, besides I'm an average quality mapper, and you got much better ones around here to handle this project than me. ;)

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Wouldn't this episode be the perfect time to finally give Duke the chainsaw arm?
Posted Image

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Haha, we actually talked about that, but decided we didn't want to make Duke too similar to Ash. Plus it would be hard for him to use all of his weapons.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostFrog, on 05 October 2016 - 05:09 AM, said:

Good luck!

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Make us proud and show Gearbox where the hammer is hanging! ;)

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostNightFright, on 09 October 2016 - 12:05 PM, said:

Make us proud and show Gearbox where the hammer is hanging! ;)

I really want, but make a great mod in a month (even less) is a really hard work.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options