Duke4.net Forums: Halloween Themed Episode - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Halloween Themed Episode  "Discussion thread"

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

A halloween themed episode popped in the World Tour thread. I liked the idea so much and make a new thread to stay on-topic.

Nukem Dave and Valhalla already discussed this. Imagine a Halloween Expansion in the style of caribean and nuclear winter...

View PostValhalla, on 03 October 2016 - 01:16 AM, said:

Damn, now I really want a Halloween themed expansion in the vein of Nuclear Winter/Duke Carribean. Hell I'd chip in significantly to have a company make a classic "big box" for it. Imagining vampire liztroops with capes, werewolf pigcops, and a Frankenstein battlelord that shoots electric bolts. XD

The Zombie Pigcop art is already done for Total Meltdown, I'd rather a werewolf lizman.
The interesting part about Vampire Liztroops is that they already can fly and teleport, a Frankenstein battlelord would be extremely rad! Some mummy enemies and 50's movie alien would be really cool as well.

Some of the levels could be gothic castles, haunted ships, wax museum, a freak show circus from 1800.

A new weapon could be a holy cross and a holy water pistol, and obviously the silver bullet shotgun.

How do you imagine an episode like this? How the new enemy variants could be? The new level themes?

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 03 October 2016 - 09:36 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Sounds cool but kind of rushed if you want a full episode of new maps. Are you going to make at least one of the maps yourself? I would volunteer for coding (enemies, weapons, hud, whatever).

EDIT: My only thought right now is that the overall theme should either be classic, serious horror (scary, NO water pistol, lots of gore etc), or it should be lighter and more Halloween holiday oriented (candy for steroids, enemies with halloween costumes, etc). It would be a mistake to make an episode that can't decide what it wants to be.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 03 October 2016 - 09:45 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Jack O'Lantern's that behave like lost souls.

As you said, a full episode is probably pushing it at this point.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Just make a really good large map.

User is offline   MrSet 

And if it's made one day, what kind of map it will use ?

More like Blood or more Duke with Halloween stuff over it ?

User is offline   MetHy 

Look, if someone manages to organize the making of a full community episode like that, like Duke Hard except two step further because it takes new art and code, I'm in.

I mean I'll make a map. Just don't ask me to manage anything ;)

For the theme, well, I'm not too concerned that it'd be in between scary and funny, Blood did that and it worked well, so it can be done.

I am however concerned that this will indeed just be too much like Blood.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 October 2016 - 10:39 AM, said:

Just make a really good large map.

imo that would actually be more difficult than making a small episode of short maps if there is more than one mapper because the map has to get passed around.

my two cents: A short episode of small maps done with low to moderate detail. The overall theme is Trick or Treat, where Duke goes from one location to the next looking for "a treat" and ends up getting into haunted houses/buildings where he has to fight (could be a willing babe at the end of each map as the treat, or a bowl of candy, or both). There is time to change some enemies/items/weapons for the theme, but mappers could start right away with the normal tileset and the changes can be swapped in later without effecting gameplay too much. MIght be able to get an artist or commission an artist to do a few comic page style images to serve as cutscenes at the beginning and end.

• Music Producer

View PostTrooper Dan, on 03 October 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

Sounds cool but kind of rushed if you want a full episode of new maps. Are you going to make at least one of the maps yourself? I would volunteer for coding (enemies, weapons, hud, whatever).

I made this thread to keep th World Tour on-topic if anyone wanted to throw ideas or opinions about an expansion like this, don't take it as an anounce or something, I dfinitely wouldn't rush it to be finished this halloween, since I'm working on my WGR episode.

Anyway if I ever decide to make this happen, I'd make plans for the levels using the original game guidance, the episode would not be more longer than 5 maps and wouldn't be much more detailed than the original maps.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 03 October 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

EDIT: My only thought right now is that the overall theme should either be classic, serious horror (scary, NO water pistol, lots of gore etc), or it should be lighter and more Halloween holiday oriented (candy for steroids, enemies with halloween costumes, etc). It would be a mistake to make an episode that can't decide what it wants to be.

I'd go for a more cheesy style than an over serious approach, just like Caribean or Nucler Winter (if it wasn't so crappy) but darker in tone with maybe a few jump scares, it fits better with Duke imo and is halloween after all! I see no conflict on making it gory anyway...

I'd would make a map for the episode, maybe the first and then recruit people to see if they are interested, but I'd definitely would give layout plans showing what the player is supposed to do an experiment in the map and the general mood of every level. I'm already making an analytic miniguide partially for my own use gathering the gameplay design and layout decisions of my fav levels from DN3D, and I have noticed almost no map out there (including mine) takes advice of the original maps (talking about respawn placement, working lights, pushable objects and textures, multiple/alternative routes, buttons that activate more than doors, rotating sectors, etc)

On the coding department it wouldn't have new effects, just make the new attacks and weapons to work (as if this wasn't complex enough already)

It would need new art as well for the enemies, weapons and hud, so a project like this shouldn't definitely be rushed.

EDIT1

View PostMetHy, on 03 October 2016 - 10:48 AM, said:

I am however concerned that this will indeed just be too much like Blood.

I'm sure there are plenty of themes that hasn't be used in blood, a different style and the enemies of duke would give this enough personality

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 03 October 2016 - 11:11 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

With Mike and MetHy each making a short map, and at least one other mapper contributing, I believe we could actually get it done by October 30th. I could put together the modded assets which would work on vanilla maps. Having a sprite artist would be a big help, too. The Kins recently contributed some excellent sprites for another project and if he is willing to edit some sprites for this that would be great.

If we don't have a Halloween 2016 deadline then I don't know if there will be a lot of motivation to do this. It would probably end up being one of those drawn-out projects with no clear release date and might never get finished.

• Music Producer

Okay, I believe you are right Dan. We can throw ideas for the rest of the day. I need to think about it, gonna reply this night (in about 9 hours). ;)

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I've never done a sprite set for Duke before, but I can come up with a model for the flying pumpkin monster to make sprites from if people are interested. I know SFA about con coding though.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 03 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

that would be quite cool to see happen. i once saw someone make a Doom 64 Pinky Demon crossed with a Pigcop, like a mutated pig or something. another enemy that comes to my mind is the Super Trooper from DukePlus, but not in the high res style we see it as. textures & sprites could be used from Blood & Doom 64

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Sounds very interesting. Nobody will regret if I organize it? The mod will require a few good mappers, 2 at least, 1 coder, 1 artist, 1 modeler and 1 musician (if possible).

I could carry the art side, polish and test maps. However I can not handle mapping as it needs a lot of time and I want to spend my inspiration on sci fi map too.

User is offline   Jblade 

I would be up for making a map, assuming somebody puts together a decent enough tileset for this ;)

• Music Producer

View PostFrog, on 03 October 2016 - 02:16 PM, said:

Sounds very interesting. Nobody will regret if I organize it? The mod will require a few good mappers, 2 at least, 1 coder, 1 artist, 1 modeler and 1 musician (if possible).

I could carry the art side, polish and test maps. However I can not handle mapping as it needs a lot of time and I want to spend my inspiration on sci fi map too.

I can organize the project, (and not gonna disappear this time lol) I have some design ideas in mind but I can make sure everybody is aware of the conceptual guidelines before starting anything. I'm gonna post later.

@Frog. BTW if you can start gattering some fitting tilesets it would be really cool ;)

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 03 October 2016 - 02:55 PM

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostMike Norvak, on 03 October 2016 - 02:52 PM, said:

I can organize the project, (and not gonna disappear this time lol) I have some design ideas in mind but I can make sure everybody is aware of the conceptual guidelines before starting anything. I'm gonna post later.

@Frog. BTW if you can start gattering some fitting tilesets it would be really cool ;)

Before creating art we need to get the basic storyline for each level, and it's better for mappers to request art too.

Seems like you do not want me to organise it? Posted Image

• Music Producer

View PostFrog, on 03 October 2016 - 03:08 PM, said:

Before creating art we need to get the basic storyline for each level, and it's better for mappers to request art too.

Seems like you do not want me to organise it? Posted Image

What about organize it both?

Look, I just would like to make the thread recruiting people and explain the guidelines I have in mind, we can discuss them depending on people opinions and volunteers, the thing is I can't write a large post right now, so I think is okay to throw ideas here about a storyline and other things. In my opinion more than a storyline we need a general idea first, for example the gameplay mechanic DT pointed sounds good and adds for a simple story.

About the tileset, I was talking about gatering textures from other mods that could fit the theme and not special art made for the episode yet.

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 03 October 2016 - 04:24 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

I'd expect some Halloween-esque midi files or perhaps some remixed spooky music. Perhaps a reference to Halloween Harry too ;)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMike Norvak, on 03 October 2016 - 02:52 PM, said:

Sounds good. I'm going to make a recommendation for managing custom textures. Decide right away on a range of tile numbers that will be used for the custom textures, and allow individual mappers to submit their own textures if they want to. You don't want mappers waiting around for a completed set to work with, so encourage them to get started with the vanilla tiles. If they want to add in their own texture(s), they can submit them to this thread or to you on one of the tile numbers that have been set aside and start using them immediately. Everyone should know how to create a duke3d.def file and add png textures using the tilefromtexture or texture def commands. That way you don't have to worry about passing around and updating an .art file. Alternatively, you could decide to do something completey different! :D

Let me know if you have any specific ideas for coding, if you want me to help with that.

The Jetpack should be a witch's broomstick.

User is offline   stumppy84 

Just a thought,
What about duke vs demons & that it happens to fall on Halloween? Or the aliens use the demons & their powers to take over the world.
The weapons are then from the demons powers like the Guardian from SW.. You could use a lot of Doom assets.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

What would the name of this expansion/episode be? Halloween Holocaust?

Btw there needs to be women dressed up in slutty halloween costumes everywhere Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 03 October 2016 - 07:27 PM

OctoBrains as Pumpkin Heads
Pig as Mummy Pigs
Battlord as Frankenstein

This post has been edited by Demon Duke: 03 October 2016 - 07:34 PM

http://imgur.com/2X5HzA2
the mutated pigcop could be quite an interesting choice

User is offline   Valhalla 

I'd be down to work on a map, though pushing this through by Halloween would be damn difficult, as I don't have a lot of free time to map currently and I'd definitely want to see this mod have a higher bar of quality, (On par with carribean and nuclear winter), hell if we can get it to that point I really will see about having an authentic "boxed product" with physical media, instruction booklet, etc, made for all us duke collectors that matches the other two expansions, then release the game digitally for everyone who just wants the game. Though I just don't see it happening in less than 30 days, a few months maybe.

Personally, I'd recommend aiming for next Halloween (or just sometime next year), no time-crunch, vastly higher quality, more custom art, bigger/better levels. Also I like a more "goofy" vibe, in the vein of Duke Carribean, candy steroids, re-themed weapons, and mostly generic(ish) enemies but with more of a Halloween theme like costumed aliens, (Though a few new enemies too, like how Caribbean how the inflated sea dragons and seagulls, and winter had feminist elves.)
Whatever the case may be, I definitely want to chip in if I can, though I'm a lousy artist, and slow mapper. (Though I imagine I could make a shorter map by the deadline of the 30th if I "had" to. Quality or size would suffer though.)

PS: I do see your concern about having an entire year to finish it though, it wouldn't help motivation, we'd need a guy with a whip as lead to help keep people working on it, since there wouldn't be monetary compensation like the guys at wizardworks and sunstorm had. As for a title to the episode... how about one of these?

Duke Nukem: Witching Hour
Duke Nukem: All Hallows Eve
Duke Nukem: Hallowed Eve
Duke Nukem: Trick or Teets? ;) (Sorry)

This post has been edited by Valhalla: 04 October 2016 - 12:13 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Like James, I was kinda hoping someone would make new textures rather than using stuff from Doom and Blood or whatever.

I'd like to make a classic style map, something the size/length of Hollywood Holocaust, with a strong theme. Maybe a reference to Nightmare on Elm Street of Friday The 13th, but the problem is that both of that has been done in Blood and Redneck Rampage already.... maybe a reference to a Romero movie then? But that's like resorting to build a mall which is overdone already, but I guess it could work if I add in all the main shops and stuff we see in Dawn Of The Dead.
Maybe a reference to The Walking Dead then since I love the comics and the show.... although all the locations in that don't sound too exciting either.

What I'm saying is I'm clueless what the map should be, so throw in ideas if you like.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 03 October 2016 - 11:55 PM

User is offline   Valhalla 

View PostMetHy, on 03 October 2016 - 11:54 PM, said:

Like James, I was kinda hoping someone would make new textures rather than using stuff from Doom and Blood or whatever.

I'd like to make a classic style map, something the size/length of Hollywood Holocaust, with a strong theme. Maybe a reference to Nightmare on Elm Street of Friday The 13th, but the problem is that both of that has been done in Blood and Redneck Rampage already.... maybe a reference to a Romero movie then? But that's like resorting to build a mall which is overdone already, but I guess it could work if I add in all the main shops and stuff we see in Dawn Of The Dead.
Maybe a reference to The Walking Dead then since I love the comics and the show.... although all the locations in that don't sound too exciting either.

What I'm saying is I'm clueless what the map should be, so throw in ideas if you like.

Could always go the lazy route, and do what nuclear winter did and just resuse/retheme an old duke3d favorite like Hollywood holocaust. Personally I had an idea for a level for this which would take place on a farm growing pumpkins (which would glow orange) and lead you into underground man-sized tunnels beneath the farm/field. It would have a light story attached to it told through the map itself how the pumpkins had killed the farmer and his family by coming through their basement walls roots first. I'd throw in some other bits, like a sacrificial/ritualistic area in the tunnels under the field, and some other misc stuff. Would work well with the proposed pumpkin monster. Bare with me, came up half of this as I typed it. ;)

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I'm glad I mentioned a Halloween expansion pack in the other thread. ;)

I'm a big Dawn of the Dead fan, so I would love to see a map inspired by it. I'm also a big fan of Return of the Living Dead. A map based on the first Return of the Living Dead movie would be awesome. I actually didn't put much thought into what all of the maps should be like, but I did imagine a really good cemetery map decorated with jack-o-lanterns with a dark purple, near-dark skybox. I was imagining the cemetery being in the middle of Halloween-decorated neighborhood, but I was thinking really big. A map like that would probably be lots of work. I was pretty much using spooky movies that I grew up watching to come up with ideas. Beetlejuice, Friday the 13th, Hansel & Gretel, Halloween, Hocus Pocus, The Nightmare Before Christmas, etc.

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostMike Norvak, on 03 October 2016 - 04:23 PM, said:

What about organize it both?

Let's go.

• Music Producer

Done!

https://forums.duke4...loween-episode/

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options