Duke4.net Forums: Win7 it took forever the install - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Win7 it took forever the install

User is offline   Mark 

I did the Vista to Win7 upgrade today. Holy crap!!! The mostly automated process took almost 3 hours. Probably because of the over 800,000 files on my drive. Was the Win7 to Win10 upgrade the same thing?

This post has been edited by Mark.: 25 September 2016 - 04:07 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Upgrading to 10 is quite a bit quicker than that. Defrag your hard drive first for best results as far as upgrade times go.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Honestly that sounds fucking disgusting, going from a highly used Vista install to a Windows 7 upgrade.

You may wanna consider running CCleaner and cleaning up the registry. Also try lighting that particular computer on fire, in this case it might help.

User is offline   Kathy 

What's the point in cleaning up the registry?

User is offline   Mark 

The reason for going to Win7 is because I had to in order to get my new 3D glasses and monitor working. Nvidia dropped 3D support in their drivers for Vista quite a while ago. So I tried rolling back to an earlier compatible version. The problem was that for whatever reasons, the older drivers would not accept my newer Geforce 750ti as a compatible card for the driver. So Win7 upgrade resolved that issue. Too bad it took hours of screwing around with internet searches and cures for the problem with massive amounts of reboots and driver installs. There was a ton of misinformation out there.

Also, Google Chrome stopped any patches or security updates for their Vista version and MS stopped their support. I found out my brother had a retail DVD version of 7 just laying around since he trashed his old machine and went to 10 on his new one. So it cost nothing to upgrade. It was a little disappointing that I could not upgrade from my 32 bit Vista to the 64bit Win7. It would have required the wipe out and install from scratch method. I didn't want to go that route since this is just a stop gap measure until I get off my ass and buy a new computer. But that means I'm still stuck with the 32bit limit on ram. I really wanted to be able to go from my paultry 4GB to 8GB. But that wasn't meant to be.

On the bright side, the 3D glasses are kick ass x 2 and I have a larger monitor now.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 25 September 2016 - 04:10 AM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Clean install of 7 would have been advised. (Like Viper eluded to)

User is offline   Mark 

A clean install would have been even more work involved with getting everything put back on the drive from backups. Not worth it for a computer soon to be replaced.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostMark., on 25 September 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

A clean install would have been even more work involved with getting everything put back on the drive from backups. Not worth it for a computer soon to be replaced.

Meh, you'd think it would be alot of work, but it isn't really and you even do some house cleaning in the process and streamline your stuff alittle better. A Clean install will usually run (nice and clean) alittle quicker because it's not bogged down with years of crap.

When you install operating systems... a clean install is usually the way to go.

Welcome to W7 by the way, it's still better here than 2 ahead or 1 behind.
And way better than the hipster neighbour who think he's all that but really doesn't know shit.

This post has been edited by Robman: 25 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

10 is much more nimble than 7, but with the latest update, it's like using photoshop on the Talkie Toaster from 'Hitchhikers'.

User is offline   supergoofy 

I think that Microsoft left a backdoor to upgrade (legally) to Windows 10

Read this article:
https://www.cnet.com...stive-features/

User is offline   Kathy 

I don't understand why Microsoft even bothered with the timed offer. Was it simply used to gain tremendous momentum so that people upgraded quickly within a year? Because right now I don't see why won't they just allow others on this free bandwagon since they obviously never cared about people upgrading free of charge.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options