Duke4.net Forums: Interceptor's Kickstarter Project: Rad Rodgers - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interceptor's Kickstarter Project: Rad Rodgers  "Funding Beings September 6th 2016"

User is offline   HulkNukem 

You couldnt back it anymore anyways

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

You can back it here: https://rad-rodgers....osted_preorders

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostPikaCommando, on 30 November 2016 - 07:53 PM, said:

Now I feel like backing the Kickstarter, if I had the money.

The kickstarter had a "I'm broke but want to contribute" pledge for $1.

When thinking about it it's probably more just to get the number of contributors up so they can make the investors happy, regardless of the actual income, which supports the theory that the kickstarter mostly existed just to test the waters from a marketing point of view. Unless all kick-starters have that, in which case never mind.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 30 November 2016 - 09:33 PM

View PostMicky C, on 30 November 2016 - 09:31 PM, said:

The kickstarter had a "I'm broke but want to contribute" pledge for $1.

When thinking about it it's probably more just to get the number of contributors up so they can make the investors happy, regardless of the actual income, which supports the theory that the kickstarter mostly existed just to test the waters from a marketing point of view. Unless all kick-starters have that, in which case never mind.

It is pretty normal to have a ''donate what you want'' option :mellow:

This post has been edited by DukeNukem64: 01 December 2016 - 03:33 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

You can donate any amount of money, even if it hits none of the pledge tiers. Or if there are pledge tiers of 10 and 20, you can donate 15 just to be silly.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Did anyone notice already that the kid in this game is blonde with a red shirt and blue pants? Or is that just me cluing in so late?

User is offline   Kawa 

That does seem an awful long time to clue in on common hero colors. :mellow:

• The Sarien Encounter

I meant because he resembles Duke.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 04 December 2016 - 08:16 AM

User is offline   Kawa 

And Duke resembles Jack Slater. Or is that the other way 'round?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 04 December 2016 - 08:16 AM, said:

I meant because he resembles Duke.

And who resembles Ruff'n Tumble?
http://www.lemonamig...?id=132&type=02

Interceptor said: "Bringing back the 90's-era PC platformer with a game inspired by classics like Commander Keen, Conker, Ruff'n'Tumble & Jazz Jackrabbit."

Sure Duke is Duke, but blond hair, red shirt and blue jeans are not exclusive to the Duke. :mellow:

This post has been edited by Hank: 04 December 2016 - 11:20 AM

User is offline   Loke 

Destructoid review: https://www.destruct...ne-402930.phtml

View PostMicky C, on 12 November 2016 - 07:06 PM, said:

Yeah marketing can make or break great games. Anachronox anyone? Not saying this is a masterpiece but from what I've seen it looks fairly solid.

Marketing is more valuable than good game design these days.
You made a masterpiece the likes of Deus Ex or Planescape Torment, but nobody knows it exists? Too bad, your game will drown in the endless sea of mediocrity that is the current Steam store.
There's upwards to 50 releases on a single day now on Steam, excluding DLC and other stuff. What do you think are the chances that any random user will notice your game out of the lot?

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 05 December 2016 - 12:53 PM

• Honored Donor

I think No Man's Sky is probably the best example of marketing vs game quality with regards to number of sales. Then again that's a bit of a special case. Obviously it had a lot of originality, but Rad Rodgers (essentially by intentional design) isn't very original.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

Interceptors marketing overall is extremely poor. Rise of the Triad is their only title that had an acceptable level of marketing and was managed well. Bombshell released over double the price it should have with zero marketing anywhere, Rad Rodgers released at an acceptable price point with zero marketing, seems like a theme...I hope Interceptor don't sink but thanks to awesome decisions like launching Bombshell as a full priced title with no marketing it's a possibility :/

• The Sarien Encounter

Rad Rodgers is getting a free update (and a Switch release) called the Radical Edition that includes new characters Cosmo (from Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure), Lo Wang, Bombshell, Duke Nukem, and some other alien I don't recognize. Also, 2-player co-op and some new mini-games. Honestly, I'm surprised they got the license for Duke successfully given their slightly bad blood in recent years. I guess money is all that matters. Interesting to see Duke back in a platformer. Especially one made in the style he was born in.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 17 December 2018 - 12:40 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I really don't know why they keep bringing this back: it already flopped two times and now they want to fail a third time? Fail and fail again to fail more?

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 17 December 2018 - 01:00 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Wait, is this STILL just the first chapter? When are they moving on? Errr... they WILL be moving on eventually, right?

• The Sarien Encounter

I think part of the problem, as was stated in the post before mine two years ago, is that they sucked at marketing. This new trailer makes the game a lot more interesting to me now than it was back then. Maybe it's the new characters, maybe it isn't. But for some reason it's just a better trailer. I'm not saying this is going on the top of my wishlist right away or anything, but their problem was not necessarily that their games sucked (I don't know about this one, I haven't played it) but more that they've have a terrible job of trying to sell new stuff to people who don't really understand what it is they're trying to sell. People just lump it away with "well, I don't understand this, it doesn't really stand out to me, so I'm going to just ignore it and wait to see if I hear more about it from other people". Nobody's clamouring for this game. And we know that whether a game is actually good or not has little to do with how well an advertisement campaign can go. If it's sold through ads in just the right way there will be an audience and money will be made.

I think with the advent of Ion Maiden 3DR have finally stumbled upon a successful model by really capitalizing on what they always used to do (Scott Miller even stated this outright more or less). Now they're capitalizing on classic characters most people are aware of now and linking it with the past (and in Duke's case, the character's roots).

I don't think it was necessarily a bad game and so it sucked (I don't know, maybe it did). They just sucked at marketing, which is what failed to reach more people than a bad game's effect would have had. And I think they've finally gotten better and figured out where they fit.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Not on my wish-list, but the game doesn't look that bad.

I don't know who a couple of those characters are though. Should have gotten Earthworm Jim & Jazz Jackrabbit instead, for this Commander Keen re-brand.

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

What the hell is wrong with those people. Cosmo? No plungers for hands = not Cosmo. This thing looks more like the "Cosmo's angy cousin" mutant from BioMenace. What's the point of adding a "celebrity" character to the game if 90% of your audience don't know him and the other 10% don't recognize him because he's lacking his most characteristic element?

Also:

Hail to the King Baby

Posted Image

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

It's kinda cute to see Duke in that "Rodgers style."

But yeah I don't know. MusicallyInspired is correct to a point. The advertisement for this initially was very confused. The humor still isn't landing for me.

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm not saying this is suddenly going to break any sales records. Just that this trailer is noticeably better than the first one and it made me turn my head and raise an eyebrow when the first one didn't make me bat an eye.

User is offline   Mark 

break any sales records...turn my head...raise an eyebrow...bat an eye
Are you sure you can't fit at least one more cliche in that post? :) Just teasing.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMark, on 17 December 2018 - 05:04 PM, said:

break any sales records...turn my head...raise an eyebrow...bat an eye
Are you sure you can't fit at least one more cliche in that post? :) Just teasing.

Make my dick hard, niiples tingle... etc...

• The Sarien Encounter

I didn't know "break any sales records" was a cliche. Lol in this case I meant it literally.

But it's not like I'm over the moon for cliches or anything.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 17 December 2018 - 06:29 PM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

The game is fun, but some platform sequences are very delicate...

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postgemeaux333, on 17 December 2018 - 07:04 PM, said:

The game is fun, but some platform sequences are very delicate...

So it's like in ROTT 2013 where I was like "GOD NO PLS TAKE ME OUT OF HERE I DON'T WANNA DO SHITTY PLATFORMING I WANNA SHOOT PEOPLE IS THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND WHEN YOU MAKE AN FPS?" in my weaker moments? :)

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 18 December 2018 - 02:39 AM

• Honored Donor

I never finished the game back in the day. It was ok, although I remember the enemies being incredibly stupid and not in a good way. I also remember a few instances of combat annoyances, although I can't remember specific details. Similarly there were times when it wasn't clear what you're supposed to do, and that you've fully explored the area without knowing where to go, which grinds the fun to a halt. It's possible they fixed these issues since then.

I remember Randy tweeting ages ago how there's a possibility for 3DR to do something "sidescroller-y with the king". Looks like Duke Nukem: Rad Rodgers Tour is what came out of it.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

And besides that, Rad Rodgers is a one-liner in the making ^^

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Its cool they added a couple new levels and characters since the first release, but I was really hoping there'd be entirely new worlds/episodes by now.
Also, the trailer shows how much they've improved.

Also also, Duke Nukem and Bombshell are finally in a game together after like 20+ years.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options