Duke4.net Forums: KickAss Duke (Coming Soon) - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

KickAss Duke (Coming Soon)  "Gameplay enhancement"

User is offline   MetHy 

This does look nice.

I've been dreaming of new enemies for DN3D for a long time. Based on the community stockpile thread, the following would be nice:

- RPG Pigcop
- Lizardmen with shields (I think they should behave differently and have the tendency to slowly walk forward the player in order to corner him)
- Pigcop riding car versions of their jets
- Scorpion pigtank
- Flamethrower Lizardmen

Any of these would easily fit well with the original game's enemies too.

A HUGE pack of new enemies is planned as an update pack, there are so many sprite sets there, and most are from jet_nick works; every enemy you mentioned are meant to be included ofc :D

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRichardStorm, on 17 September 2016 - 04:32 AM, said:

A HUGE pack of new enemies is planned as an update pack, there are so many sprite sets there, and most are from jet_nick works; every enemy you mentioned are meant to be included ofc ;)

Hey, speaking of jet_nick, he has a TC in progress called Duke Nukem Advance that I was helping him with a bit (the coding). I don't think he has worked on it in a few years and I'm not sure if he plans to continue it, but it has a lot of enemies based on the game boy advance game of the same name, with his own edits. Anyway, I did a quick and dirty job of coding up some of the enemies in it, and if they aren't going to be used elsewhere, maybe it's time that they became available for other mods. I would need his permission first, though.

Here is a video showing 3 of the enemies: Pigcop with riot shield, cybertrooper miniboss, and spiderlord miniboss.

User is offline   MetHy 

Wow! These look great! I espiecally like the spider, I don't even recognize any part of what it's built off, is it a completely new design?

There is something that looks a little "off" about the Pigcop's shield but I can't put my finger on it. I think it might just be a matter of shading, it looks kinda flat, or maybe it's the sideview. I was hoping the shield would be dropped off rather than destroyed to bits too. Also is it asking too much to have certain weapons make holes inside the shield, and when shooting through that holes (assuming auto aiming is off..) it would damage the pigcop directly, meaning he could die before dropping the shield.
In terms of enemy behaviour though, maybe a few seconds isn't enough to judge, but it looks like the shield pigcop doesn't behave much differently than the regular pigcop (except from no crouching, I suppose). So in the end, the result is "just" a regular pigcop with more hp, something you could achieve just by making regular pigcops have more HP to begin with.
Would be nice if it had some different behaviour to differentiate him, like a tendency to rush forward to the player to aim better and closer, since he'd be all confident behind his shield.

Do freezer and shrinker/expander shots bounce off the shield?
Also what about if a pipebomb or rocket explodes on the side of the pigcop's back, where the shield doesn't protect him?

This post has been edited by MetHy: 17 September 2016 - 07:48 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

So like I said it was just a quick and dirty coding job. jet_nick did not provide sprites for a broken shield or a shield with holes in it, so effectively it is just a pigcop who doesn't duck, with a big shotspark actor spawning on the impact point. It turns into a regular pigcop when it has absorbed enough damage. If it's going to be imported into another project that has its own custom features (such as KickAss Duke), it's actually better to have simple 3DR style code because it makes it easier to integrate with the vars and shit used by the new project.

EDIT: The spider is unique to Duke Nukem Advance; I'm not sure about the cyber trooper. Of the 3, I like the two-headed cyber-trooper the best from a gameplay standpoint. He's a good miniboss and I made the projectiles come out of the two separate launch points.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 17 September 2016 - 11:55 AM
Reason for edit: edited to remove unnecessary quote

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 17 September 2016 - 07:00 AM, said:

Hey, speaking of jet_nick, he has a TC in progress called Duke Nukem Advance that I was helping him with a bit (the coding). I don't think he has worked on it in a few years and I'm not sure if he plans to continue it, but it has a lot of enemies based on the game boy advance game of the same name, with his own edits. Anyway, I did a quick and dirty job of coding up some of the enemies in it, and if they aren't going to be used elsewhere, maybe it's time that they became available for other mods. I would need his permission first, though.

Here is a video showing 3 of the enemies: Pigcop with riot shield, cybertrooper miniboss, and spiderlord miniboss.

This looks great. I always enjoyed Duke Nukem Advance.

On the subject of KickAss Duke it'd be great if some guys in the community who are experienced with sprites were interested in it. Ultimate opium pipe hallucination would be something that grew to the scale of Brutal Doom. Look forward to getting my hands on this mod very much so!

User is offline   xenoxols 

Dunno if the new weapons are set in stone, but a .44 magnum would be cool, IMO.

User is offline   stumppy84 

View PostHiPolyBash, on 18 September 2016 - 08:58 PM, said:

Ultimate opium pipe hallucination would be something that grew to the scale of Brutal Doom. Look forward to getting my hands on this mod very much so!

I agree!! That would be awesome and needed!

Any progress, RichardStorm? You haven't published any news related to KickAssDuke since the end of September.
I'd just like to see your awesome mod in action (any videos or just more screenshots).

Yo!

I did "little" progress indeed. I mean, little progress if i think three months have passed, because some businesses moved my attention for a while.

But as far as i remember after last posts, i did something indeed :
- i completed the "Brutal"engine (gore/violence ) , because i did every sprite i needed and the code has been completed, just few fixes and adjusts left;
- i completed the "alien level recognizer", for replacing pickups with alien counterparts (and which will be used mostly for usermaps);
- i completed new inventory, with huge progress in new jetpack and a nice improvement to steroids;
- i completed the 22ish weapon set, but as i said i decided to add other alien weapons to complete the "replacement" set; this caused a major delay but i'm randomly working on it.

I also said i'd have published a trailer, but i had some problem finding a video editor, so i think i'll post some tech demos and screenshots

Sadly, i think i'll not keep my promise of a release before 2017, but i hope to complete this mod soon :lol:

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 08 December 2016 - 05:29 PM

User is offline   Shawneth 

Can't wait, this looks amazing.

Yeah can't wait here also!! Duke really needs something like this!!

Hi Guys ! And happy new year to everybody, being this my first post of 2017 here :lol:

In the last month I've done some good progress in the development of this mod; weaponry is going to get finished, then i have to optimize and enrich the gore system with some new key features, and random fixes as always.

Also i found some good (and free) software for video editing and capturing, and soon i'll start to create some, let me just take some time to explore these programs, ... So be ready for some trailer and spare demos in next weeks!

As for screenshots, i always thought they can show only a little for a mod like this, as many things are very dynamic, like effects, sounds, behaviors etc... that's why video are really needed here, i know.
Anyway i think i'll please you with some one these days (starting from tomorrow), showing some of the last and cooler things i did or i'm still working on, trying to show as more as i can; this will include in-game screenshots, or to models / sprites / material in development.

Also, i plan to post this project and all its info on other sites; i'll start from ModDB, but i would know from you which other sites are tipically used for duke stuff.

See you soon !

Awesome!! Can't wait!

Well, sorry for the delay, i was out of my town several times, and i worked on other KADuke things before this post...
Sooo, let's talk about some features in development, i hope you'll enjoy that.

A part of the KADuke Stuff come from some kind of "necessary coherence", beacause of several reasons:

- inspiration from enemies, environment and map elements
- "bad" sprite recycling
- scrapped material/ideas

First of all, i decided to add the "alien map recognizer" and all relative stuff for taste/coherence about alien technology, as i want that all items should be obviously of non-terran nature in such maps. I was lucky that some weaponry was already done while developing DNAgain, like liztroop and enforcer weps, then i decided to complete a 10-piece set. Also keycards and inventory items will have an alien replacement, not in this releaes, though.
For sure there will be enemies (or just variants) able to use this brand new arsenal in future updates.

Moreover, i decided to switch all alien ordnance to laser-type weaponry like the liztroop blaster, to make a "race" difference between terran and aliens, so for example the enforcer and the battlelord now shoot lasers rather than bullets.

Now, another thing:
- Did you ever wondered why alien should fire the same-looking rocket as Duke RPG, and the ammo box is totally different, too ? -
Well i did, not finding a complete aswer. Curiously, no duker did something about that in 20 years... then i solved, keeping the original sprites for alien missiles and the Duke64 version for terran weapon.

At this stage KADuke features a heavier RPG than original D3d (more damage, slower fire rate, various fire modes), bringing back the beta RPG sprite and featuring a proper pickup for rockets (and just temporary monitor pictures) :

Posted Image

... while the alien counterpart is meant to be even faster and less powerful than the original... made of pieces you will surely recognize :D

Posted Image

And here are the two last alien weapons in development; the models are used for capturing and making the relative sprites.

The Sonic Resonator (hell yeah), original model by Drek and requested to him to do my improvements, resembling more the beta concept arts in my
opinion. I admit have a my own idea of texturing and colors, maybe more greenish/yellow, but i prefer to keep the well-known black body ATM.
It will replace the devastator in alien maps, so an explosive force is expected :P

Posted Image

PS: it's getting some time to do the reloading frames, another inspiration from beta concept arts.

Posted Image

Also this original idea: the "Dark Plasma" gun, born just from one thing: the purple lava in the last level, "The queen".
I always thought that lethal material could have some potential, so i did. It will replace the freezer, opposing to the cold with powerful beams that inflicts a "melting" status:

Posted Image

That's it for today, i'll show more and more next times ;)

User is offline   X-Vector 

I know this has little to do with the content of the mod, but since the term is used in the in-game menu I recommend you to change the word "jib" to "gib".
The latter is short for "giblets", the first is a type of sail.

Fixed, thanks :P ... well indeed, i'm not english and i may confuse some slang with proper language sometimes... "jib" is the standard word in CON code so i assimilated it ;)

User is offline   HMNuke93 

Awesome :P Will this feature the Firefly Trooper and Incinerator from World Tour?

This post has been edited by HMNuke93: 28 January 2017 - 08:04 AM

Really good work!! Can't wait!!

User is offline   jet_nick 

amazing Richard, good work.

Well yes, the freezer has been re-imagined into a "thermal tool", essentially a spray-based freezer/flamer. -cough-caterk-cough-
As for enemies there is no list atm, just ideas, as i said they are not meant to appear in first release; new pickups come from existant enemies or items.
Also, thank you all for your support :P

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Update?

Hmm it's going slow i admit, mainly thinking phase...

The dark plasma gun has been completed at all, there are just two weapons to finish: the sonic resonator and an improvement on the shrinker.
The sonic resonator has been just put in idle.
The shrinker will no longer include the expander, and it will have a new altfire (to decide) and a reloading feature for the crystal. For that i'm drawing some muzzle effects and i need to choose a proper altfire, along the secondary ammo needed for that. Also, i will do different and/or enhanced shrinker weaponS in future, so i must think the features to reserve.
Also, i need to redo terran RPG screens in a green CRT style.
A final rebalance of damage and maximum ammunitions is also needed.

At last, i'll complete the gore system with new effects, some fix and tests for crashes/lag.

User is offline   armymen 

Nice this is looking good.

Tah-Dah! Did you ever think the project is dead ? :D

Well, no! It just had a long hiatus due to lack of inspiration or somewhat, though I worked on it at very random times.

First of all, I improved the sonic resonator model to its final version, and it's ready for sprites !

Posted Image

Also, i completed the new shrinker and applied a series of improvements on all weapons, including some ones mentioned in the thread and some other new ones.

Unfortunately, I noticed that all image links are dead... This is strange, because all the pictures are still intact in my Photobucket folder, i guess only the links changed in the meantimes, but I dunno why.
Moreover, I see I cannot edit my previous posts, so what i can do to fix them ?
Also, do you have any suggestion on how to prevent this and why it occured?

Well, necessary OT:

... so Photobucket switched to asshole mode this summer, and now it's useful only with 400$ annual subscription...
Well, i bet many big users or companies will pay those bucks to resume the availability of their pictures, rather than losing them or move tons of pics to other hosting site.
I have under 100 pics instead, and i will switch to another hosting site ASAP.

The problem remains: how can i change previous links ?

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 03 December 2017 - 03:14 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Ask Hendricks. He helped us when we needed to add to our HHR start page.

I hope the screen shots get fixed soon.I would like to see how this mod looks.I had plans of making something like this back in 2011. I even made some enemies for the project.Maybe you would like to use them in your mod.

Here are some images.

Pigcop With handgun.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Octabrain in Dome vehicle.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

The dome breaks first then the guns blow up and the Octobrain comes at you on "foot".

This last one is a boss and this is how it was going to show up in the map.There was going to be a room behind glass you could see into with four Octobrains in it.There would be toxic waste in the room in a container or something, you would be next to a switch, the same one that usually ends a level.But instead of the level ending it releases the toxic waste onto the Octobrains in the room. Duke Nuke would laugh and say one of the duke talk lines as you hear the Octobrains screaming and "dying". But then you hear an extremely deep and angry scream and the Glass breaks and this comes at you.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by -=SomeThingEviL=-: 22 December 2017 - 10:50 AM

Hello Dukers!

Sooo... in the last months i gave a huge boost to this project, and i can tell you that (almost) Everything is complete, the to-do list is so empty and only some work on the code remains, for final tweaks, but everything is as i wanted and fully playable. Much of the things are meant to change in the future but they are fine for this release.

As you can see the pictures in this thread are again available, as i moved from PB to Imgur, and i'm going to make some trailers and demos in the next weeks.

At this time, some of you can ask for beta testing, exploring all its features and reporting me some suggestion or (still not found) bugs you may encounter. Also i will work on a complete readme file and the credit list.

We are near to the public release of KickAss Duke 1.0 :P

Cool! Congrats on the upcoming release!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options