Duke4.net Forums: What have you been playing? (posting about Duke 3D maps) - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What have you been playing? (posting about Duke 3D maps)

User is offline   PsychoGoatee 

Figured we could use one of those "What have you been playing?" topics, to post about random Duke maps and TCs you've been playing lately. Or you could also just use this as an excuse to post about a map you'd like to talk about, even if you didn't just play it. More Duke map posting action, baby. :dukehappy:

I just played Tardis, and old map from '98 I've seen mentioned in a few posts. Fun stuff, had the ol blue box from Doctor Who, and a bunch of weird hallways etc but it pulled it off, had charm to it. And I beat it without getting confused. :dukeaffirmative:

Just played Jailbird2, very cool map! It had been recommended before. It's in NightFright's awesome Addon Compilation in the Urban Map Pack. Just great design, great gameplay flow, nice gameplay (enough health etc), a smooth ride of a map.

User is offline   MetHy 

Jailbird2 was one of my favourite maps for a long time.

Was the first video I recorded and put on youtube, more than 8 years ago. The sound gets more and more off sync as the video goes, it's terrible.

Played Roch 1 through Roch 3 today, great maps! Very fun, lots of neato touches, nice smooth gameplay, intuitive very nicely done progression, loved playing these. From 99 and 2000 and they're some of the best maps out there, looks like everybody was right. :D I look forward to playing the rest of those too.

User is offline   Merlijn 

The Roch series remain some of my favorite maps in Duke, I ought to replay them soonish.
My favorites are: roch 2 (those bumper cars!), roch 4 and roch 7.

Just played the first map of Vermin Clearance, really good stuff. Has some retro quirks and some cryptic progression (hump a wall or two), but I never got lost so I think the level was speaking to me telepathically. :D Just couldn't put it down, fun map that keeps throwing unexepected twists in there, it's like two maps packed in one. 54 minutes, 230 aliens killed (30 left), 7 secrets found (missed one), I'd recommend giving this map a try, even if you're not in for a whole episode.

I'm still digging Roch too, played 4 and 5, on 6 now.

User is offline   NightFright 

I never got far into Vermin Clearance, I gotta admit. Especially later on, weird things are happening like semi-transparent switches attached to wooden crates which open critical doors. Eventually, this prevented me from continuing any further. May give it another shot one of these days because the levels themselves look really nice.

What I can recommend is "Incubation: Alien Apocalypse" (also included in the addon compilation). I really liked how the author realized the "alien spacecraft lands in city" and consequently stayed close to it throughout the episode.

Duke Nukem 3D Highres Pack: Duke3D HRP 5.4
Help us to add stuff still missing in the HRP: Duke3D HRP To-Do List

I'll check that out, thanks! Recently I enjoyed Roch 6 and Painkiller64.

User is offline   Mark. 

• Honored Donor

Its hard to believe its already been almost 9 months since Decay was released. I went back to play a few maps yesterday. Its been so long since I played it that even though I made the maps and placed the monsters I didn't remember where everything was. I had a few jumps when something unexpected popped up. I suppose having some random spawns helped the surprise factor for me. Plus I'm a very jumpy guy with overactive reflexes. I jumped in my chair quite a few times while testing the maps.

User is offline   Nems 

I was originally playing through some of the levels that came with the Attrition mod before I decided to take a break from Duke and go back to Doom. I'm primarily a Doom player so I have to remind myself that level progression works differently in Duke3D versus Doom considering the added game play elements (stuff like use of the jetpack or having to get shrunk to progress still throws me off).

I probably should have reported that some of the levels included in Attrition seem to be broken (they either kick me back to the main menu or drop me off at E1L1) or progression is impossible (example: I can't find or access the Yellow key in The Alien City) but I got frustrated and overwhelmed to the point I deleted everything Duke-related for a bit to calm down and play some more Doom before trying good ol' Duke again.

Overkill, I know. :x

Attrition includes a great assortment of maps and is cool, but you could also tackle levels one by one as another way to play. And there are a lot of great addons you could try in the Addons compilation too. https://forums.duke4...on-compilation/

A lot of those addons are just sets of levels without changing the gameplay, those are great to check out. Roch, Red, ADG episode, etc. The Urban Map collection might be up your alley, and could always use dnscotty or menu cheats to skip levels you already played via Attrition etc.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 19 September 2016 - 05:00 PM

User is offline   Nems 

I've actually been going through the add-on compilation now that you mention it and let Attrition take a break (if I recall right Trooper Dan is still putting the finishing touches on what will be the latest version). The ADG episode really shines with regards to the kind of game play I like in my Duke/Doom levels (heavy on the action, straight forward, minimal switch hunting/wall humping/maze traversal).

I tried to play the ADG episode with DukePlus but for some reason it won't load up with the add-on compilation. I make sure to turn DukePlus off in the custom game content directory when it comes to TC's but the ADG episode is just level sets so I would have thought loading it up with DukePlus would work out.

Ah well. I guess I'll have to download the ADG episode from the Duke Nukem Repository or Dukeworld separately to get it to work with DukePlus. :v

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

• Duke Plus Developer

Nems, on 18 September 2016 - 06:22 PM, said:

I was originally playing through some of the levels that came with the Attrition mod before I decided to take a break from Duke and go back to Doom. I'm primarily a Doom player so I have to remind myself that level progression works differently in Duke3D versus Doom considering the added game play elements (stuff like use of the jetpack or having to get shrunk to progress still throws me off).

I probably should have reported that some of the levels included in Attrition seem to be broken (they either kick me back to the main menu or drop me off at E1L1) or progression is impossible (example: I can't find or access the Yellow key in The Alien City) but I got frustrated and overwhelmed to the point I deleted everything Duke-related for a bit to calm down and play some more Doom before trying good ol' Duke again.

Overkill, I know. :x

There are about 150 different user maps that are distributed with the mod, and while I have tried to exclude ones with highly confusing or frustrating level progression, there are definitely some that can be problematic. The mod itself doesn't do anything to mess with map structures, and every map included was released on its own at some point and completed by multiple players. However, it is possible that some maps have been broken by changes to EDuke32 or even Attrition itself. If you are interested, you can always try playing one of the maps in the vanilla game, and then posting for help if you get stuck.

As for being kicked back to the main menu or E1L1, that would definitely be a bug with the mod. I have been working on an update for the last several weeks and haven't encountered any problems quite like that, although I have certainly fixed some bugs. If you are interested, the latest beta version is available here.

Just played this map BestCity, really good! Was trying some maps from the classic dukeworld selection that I didn't see reviews of on MSDN, scent88 (CGS), or the repository. This one stood out, just really fun layout and a good sized city level that gave me that warm fuzzy classic Duke feeling. Being a map from 1996 makes this more impressive too, recommended!

http://dukeworld.duk...world/maps/a-e/

I also played SkyCity, which has been reviewed and recommended before, very cool map.

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 07 June 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

Just played this map BestCity, really good!

I played it after your post. I agree - good map for 1996 with some cool ideas! I didn't find the yellow key though. <_<

If you haven't played Cathedral, or rocked through NightFright's add-on compilation's Urban Map Pack which includes it, it's quite a cool map! Really good looking, that view at the beginning is just impressive.

User is offline   Merlijn 

Yeah, Cathedral is a great map! I don't think it was ever reviewed on the regular duke sites?

I've also checked BestCity, indeed quite good for a 1996 release. You kinda have to look past the crude texturing, but the layout is pretty cool!
Speaking of oldies - I've replayed Godzilla. Quite fun and well put together map (it's partly based on the 1998 Godzilla movie, so at least something worthwile came out of that film :P)

User is offline   Nancsi 

Traffic Jam is the last userlevel I played. Well, technically it's only half of a userlevel, since the second half is basically a much improved version of a LameDuke level, which was made by mapping god Allen Blum.

This one still holds up. One of the few levels that with some minor modiciations could have made into a commercial level and not just because of the LD parts. Olivier Boucher had put some impressive and intuitive leveldesign here with good balance of weapons, monsters, no confusing button and key hunt, but at the same time a really good looking parking tower where you feel the reality and the complexity.

If I have to name one non-episodic usermap that everyone should try, this would be the one (not counting Levelord's brilliant Sewer). If episodic levels count, I would pick a level from LRWB (the penultimate levels from both episodes: Alien Detraining and Back to LA would be my choice).

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 01 July 2017 - 05:50 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2017 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options