Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour - Duke4.net Forums

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   MrFlibble 

BTW, is there going to be a Linux version of World Tour?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostDrMaboul59, on 17 March 2018 - 03:35 AM, said:

It's strange because the game doesn't appear in my Steam library...so I launch it via the application directly (which requires Steam to work).

Nothing suspicious about that.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostMrFlibble, on 17 March 2018 - 06:24 AM, said:

I doubt there will be any new version of World Tour...

User is offline   DrMaboul59 

Does someone have a solution to my problem? Has anyone had the same?

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostDrMaboul59, on 18 March 2018 - 10:32 AM, said:

Does someone have a solution to my problem? Has anyone had the same?

You're the first one who has this problem, since it's very weird when you said it's not on your Steam library,..it's not a good sign...
(Make sure your Steam account really own the game)

If you sure, try this to install the WT on Steam, on your browser with Steam is running on your system:

steam://flushconfig/
(You may have to re-input your Steam login info )

steam://uninstall/434050

then

steam://install/434050

About no sound&music, try update your motherboard(onboard sound chip) or sound card's driver and see if it helps or not, since I don't think this shitty WT port has capability to output any of log or something to diagnose at all.

Oh man, I don't even know if anyone from Gearbox Publishing/Nerve Software still want to fix any of problems in this damn port... :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 19 March 2018 - 04:53 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostMrFlibble, on 17 March 2018 - 06:24 AM, said:

Since the new renderer uses DirectX, I doubt it. So for the new episode you're probably better off waiting for EDuke32 integration, which isn't really in progress. So maybe rather wait for an EDuke32 mod that tries to reverseengineer or duplicate weapon/enemy/boss behavior, or make it yourself...

This post has been edited by necroslut: 20 March 2018 - 03:51 AM

View Postnecroslut, on 20 March 2018 - 03:51 AM, said:

So maybe rather wait for an EDuke32 mod that tries to reverseengineer or duplicate weapon/enemy/boss behavior, or make it yourself...

View PostHendricks266, on 16 March 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

WT's CON files are fully usable with EDuke32. Remember, WT only has 1.5-level CON coding, so there is absolutely no way they could code new weapons and projectiles with CON alone. They are hardcoded, and done in such a way that accurately reverse-engineering them by sight like Duke 64 is not feasible. Source code please.

Maybe we should hope they will release the WT's source code in someday... :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 20 March 2018 - 06:23 AM

View PostPlayer Lin, on 20 March 2018 - 06:22 AM, said:

Maybe we should hope they will release the WT's source code in someday... :)

Yeah, I know. The difference lies in "accurately reverse-engineering" - for a mod less concerned with being 100% accurate and more with getting it "working", it could be done; just mimic the behavior. It's hardly ideal, but as things stand now a proper implementation isn't happening.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 20 March 2018 - 06:34 AM

If it's just mimic then I would play something else like "someone ports WT to some other engines with lot of hacked mod"-kind of shit, or just wait/don't care anymore......

But yes, I know people will still play those in-accurate things...because of that's still better than nothing.

*sigh*

Honestly, aren't the aspects that aren't functional in the compatibility stopgap poorly received anyway? The fireflies are super annoying and the Cycloid Incerator is way too easy. The incinerator is kinda neat, but hardly a dealbreaker IMO.

View PostPhredreeke, on 20 March 2018 - 07:00 PM, said:

Honestly, aren't the aspects that aren't functional in the compatibility stopgap poorly received anyway? The fireflies are super annoying and the Cycloid Incerator is way too easy. The incinerator is kinda neat, but hardly a dealbreaker IMO.

You're probably right, and the fireflies aren't even used that much. There might be some ammo shortage on higher difficulties with cutting out the flamethrower though, I haven't tried playing it through like that.

User is offline   randir14 

When comparing World Tour by itself to World Tour+Eduke32+Stopgap, I noticed World Tour looks lower resolution even though both are running at 2560x1440. Does anyone know why?

This post has been edited by randir14: 24 March 2018 - 10:24 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postrandir14, on 24 March 2018 - 10:23 AM, said:

When comparing World Tour by itself to World Tour+Eduke32+Stopgap, I noticed World Tour looks lower resolution even though both are running at 2560x1440. Does anyone know why?

World Tour has a lower rendering resolution, for example when you're running it at 2560x1440 the game is rendered at somewhat lower than that. Guess Gearbox did this because the classic renderer would have run like shit on consoles, it's a shame it's the same on PC too.

On the flipside WT supports DSR while EDuke32 doesn't so if you use DSR with WT you can get that rendering resolution up to where it should be.

Edit: I don't know the exact render resolution of WT btw. but if I had to guess I'd say it's somewhere near 720p at 1920x1080.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 24 March 2018 - 11:03 AM

User is offline   randir14 

View PostZaxx, on 24 March 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

World Tour has a lower rendering resolution, for example when you're running it at 2560x1440 the game is rendered at somewhat lower than that. Guess Gearbox did this because the classic renderer would have run like shit on consoles, it's a shame it's the same on PC too.

On the flipside WT supports DSR while EDuke32 doesn't so if you use DSR with WT you can get that rendering resolution up to where it should be.

Thanks for the explanation

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostZaxx, on 24 March 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

Guess Gearbox did this because the classic renderer would have run like shit on consoles, it's a shame it's the same on PC too.

Huh? Gearbox wrote a completely new 3D renderer for WT, nothing to do with classic. However it's fairly poorly optimized and can be quite slow (for example in Golden Carnage), so you're probably right in that they render at a lowish res for performance reasons, then upscale it.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMicky C, on 24 March 2018 - 05:08 PM, said:

Huh? Gearbox wrote a completely new 3D renderer for WT, nothing to do with classic.

I meant the "2.5D mode" of WT.

Edit: Forgot to say why I mentioned WT's classic mode specifically. With true 3D rendering you get really good performance (if you have a somewhat modern GPU that is) while classic is a lot slower because it relies heavily on the CPU much like how there is a huge performance difference between EDuke32's classic and Polymost renderers. Consoles have bad CPUs (okay,"bad" is simplifying it: Build can't do much with that many cores and the individual cores are weak) so they could not render the game in a full 1080p with good performance.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 24 March 2018 - 06:17 PM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Have anyone found out when Duke is saying "You are gonna need an I.C.U" in episode 5 ?

Makes me wonder if it'd be possible to run multiple classic renderers each drawing its own portion of the screen. My guess is Gearbox thought nobody cared about classic mode resolution though.

User is offline   NNC 

After a year or so, I decided to go through the entire 5th episode from start to finish (I play the two best maps quite often, but not in episodic format). The glasses were less rosy this time around as the episode is not a novelty anymore.

I still think Mirage Barrage and Golden Carnage are massive standout levels here. Both have a unique theme, a unique layout, new graphics that actually fit the original art well, and both have some legacy mapping style, particularly GC. There are some hard to unsee flaws in both levels, especially in MB, but the good outweighs the bad convincingly.

The rest, however, look less impressive by now, especially when you compare them to Ion Maiden's leveldesign for example. If I have to choose the 3rd best/favourite map, High Times would be my choice now. Unlike Levelord's city maps, it's not just a blocky outdoors, but something that looks like Amsterdam. The art there is out of place a bit, but still impressed by the design. The middle part inside the cafe is very fun and authentic Duke. The final part is WTF a bit, but it's still a nice idea overall, and this is the only level where these pityful Fireflies can make a formidable challenge on you.

Hollywood Inferno is still a terrible map, it actually felt like something from DNF. Levelord's maps are nice user maps with some extra graphics pretending these places are not in LA but somewhere else. Remove the russian/french stuff and replace them with v1.5 art only, and they could be considered something from MRCK or Pascal Rouaud. The lack of theme really hurts.

Despite the negative points, I'm still happy that Levelord and especially Blum returned to mapping. I hope the bomb of WT won't let them stop mapping permanently.

Honestly, Ep 5's strength lies in its visuals - not its level design. Wouldn't surprise me if Gearbox specifically requested they avoid large non-linear parts given how FPS design has changed in the last twenty years.

Duke out In Dc is fully playable on World Tour thanks to NukemDave, also world tour bug issues it will make it kind of hard to play it , If ya like to try it out on World Tour Im sure Dave be happy to post how to do it.

I uploading a video but duke4 won't let me post it sorry

This post has been edited by Duke Legacy: 30 May 2018 - 01:37 AM

View PostLunick, on 11 October 2016 - 04:41 PM, said:

Posted Image

Off to a good start I see

Posted Image

What now? And it's on sale for the steam Autumn Sale atm $5!

This post has been edited by Redxplatinum: 23 November 2018 - 07:33 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Shill

User is offline   NNC 

I thought there are news that Allen Blum is working on a new Duke episode of 11 large maps in the size of Golden Carnage or bigger, and it takes place at various exotic locations from Taj Mahal and Marrakesh market through the great wall of China and Singapore Marina Bay to the Yucatan and the Iguacu Waterfalls in Brazil, then it all ends in an epic battle at the alien's hive far away in the Andromeda Galaxy. The episode has 3 new monster types and 2 new alt weapons, none of them are lazy recolors or beta rippage.

But it's not that news. :rolleyes:

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I always did find that off episode 5 was only 8 maps. With all but the first having 11, it really sticks out like a sore thumb...

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 24 November 2018 - 03:53 AM

Fewer levels, but each level is more visually distinct.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

True, but my point is that it goes against the episode consistency.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

There is a feature I would like to see implemented in Duke Nukem 3D : the possibility to humiliate a defeated Battlelord or Boss in the way of Duke Nukem Forever ^^

User is offline   NNC 

Episode 5 is bigger than any of the other episodes, since most maps are bigger than all originals but Dark Side and Derelict, although after 20 years it could have been so much bigger. After the dust has settled, I have to say, it wasn't a good release (contradicting my earlier opinion). The two most famous levels are still amazing, but everything else here should have been as big and as ambitious, even if we had to wait a few more months.

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options