• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   CRAZYCOW 

View PostDefrago, on 23 January 2017 - 04:28 AM, said:

Is there some kind of savegame editor for this game? Opened one with Notepad++ and first half were unrecognized symbols and second half are lots of scripts code. Things I wanna perform are changing difficulty mid-level, amount of ammo and more

no.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

There's always a hex editor, pattern-recognition skills, and experimentation...

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 24 January 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

There's always a hex editor, pattern-recognition skills, and experimentation...

Man I hate hex hacking...changes some values may not too hard but take time and sometimes it annoying...did a DOS game hacking mod but then gave up because it made my head messed up even I recorded every changes I made but it still PITA when tracking them...... :P

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 25 January 2017 - 02:03 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

Somebody's uploaded all of the Duke hard maps individually to the Steam workshop, and hasn't bothered to actually list who did what maps (He just put by Duke4 community in the description) I've said something in the comments for my map but I'm sure if more people get on his case he might actually put a bit more effort in.

User is offline   MetHy 

That's not cool by me, the maps are meant to be played as an episode and you're missing a lot like this (intro, outro and credits, randomizer, secret map, stat screen, etc, he didn't even include the musics). Plus who knows what effects we used that don't behave the same in WT. Plus his presentation is lazy. I'll try and do something about it.

edit: i kindly asked him to remove them after explaining that they're meant to be played as an ep, in EDuke32, and that players are losing a lot by playing it through the workshop. So he did remove them.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 28 January 2017 - 06:51 AM

User is offline   stumppy84 

Good, and thanks Methy for doing that!

User is offline   NNC 

I noticed there are no cyclers in the new episode. Well, that's not exactly true, there is one in High Times (that weird spotlighted area in the coffee shop has a cycler). Strange, all other episodes are full of them. I know there are less shadows due to the new point light system, but cyclers are different. They can make even dull sectors look cool.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

Hey, popping in here for a moment. I've searched the Internet, this thread, and whatnot and I couldn't find things relating to this specific bug. Though there seems to be wonky issues with the use\open key anyway as they changed the use key... hitbox? Anyway, here's a video:

I imagine bug reporting to Gearbox is probably useless, but anybody find\report this bug yet?

I've only tested it with this elevator, but I do believe that this happens elsewhere. The last thing you pressed use on activates by pressing the key while looking at a key card reader. If you press use on a wall or just anywhere with no interactivity, it will reset to normal as far as I can tell.

This post has been edited by Spirrwell: 28 February 2017 - 06:57 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Duke's force powers from the Duke Forces mod are leaking over into WT.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

Ah I really need to get back into the Duke community more. I don't know what that mod is. As for a more technical explanation, I suspect they store things that you can open in a pointer and they don't reset it after the action is completed. It's strange, you can do this before and after you swipe the key card. Anywho, I was bored, and figured I'd ask. It seemed way too obvious to have gone unnoticed. O.o

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Have we heard anything on the origin of the Firefly Trooper enemy?

It looks a lot like some of the concept art for the original Alien Trooper designs, so i'm curious if they dusted off an old model and rerendred some sprites, or if thye had some sprites of the older trooper designs and simply used those?

User is offline   Lunick 

TerminX sent them sprites for it and in the art files, there are plenty of unused tiles that shows it is a prototype assault trooper

View PostLunick, on 21 March 2017 - 05:11 AM, said:

TerminX sent them sprites for it and in the art files, there are plenty of unused tiles that shows it is a prototype assault trooper

I do like that asset better then the original.

• Honored Donor

I had a thought that occurred today. Not sure if there's any weight to it or if anyone else has had the thought, but did Gearbox at least partially get the idea to do an extra episode for World Tour from Duke Nukem Forever 2013? The mod was widely covered and well reviewed so maybe they thought it was a safe market or that there was demand for something like it?

View PostMicky C, on 16 April 2017 - 01:23 AM, said:

I had a thought that occurred today. Not sure if there's any weight to it or if anyone else has had the thought, but did Gearbox at least partially get the idea to do an extra episode for World Tour from Duke Nukem Forever 2013? The mod was widely covered and well reviewed so maybe they thought it was a safe market or that there was demand for something like it?

That's an interesting thought, but I doubt they cared about DN3D mods that much, even if it's as popular as 4ever 2013 (not to mention DNF2013 is free, not paid like Alien World Order). I think Alien World Order could just be a result of Randy wanting to get back with the original team again.

• Honored Donor

I agree it wouldn't have been the main reason. It was probably more of an excuse to put a Gearbox branding on Duke 3D, and more importantly, release it on current consoles. However I'd be surprised if the line of conversation "well DNF 2013 did pretty well a few years ago so this should go ok" or something like it didn't come up at some point within Gearbox.

Of course, if it was a contributing factor, then it stands to reason that Gearbox invested resources in the wrong areas. For example, DNF 2013 certainly didn't focus on modern graphics, and yet Gearbox invested a lot of time and money on the new renderer. It would have been better off if they didn't do a new renderer and made it $5+ cheaper. Then again since they were working from the original source code and most likely needed a renderer with correct perspective anyway I suppose they didn't have much of a choice (unless they wanted to save themselves a lot of trouble and just contract eduke32).

View PostMicky C, on 16 April 2017 - 01:44 AM, said:

I agree it wouldn't have been the main reason. It was probably more of an excuse to put a Gearbox branding on Duke 3D, and more importantly, release it on current consoles. However I'd be surprised if the line of conversation "well DNF 2013 did pretty well a few years ago so this should go ok" or something like it didn't come up at some point within Gearbox.

Of course, if it was a contributing factor, then it stands to reason that Gearbox invested resources in the wrong areas. For example, DNF 2013 certainly didn't focus on modern graphics, and yet Gearbox invested a lot of time and money on the new renderer. It would have been better off if they didn't do a new renderer and made it $5+ cheaper. Then again since they were working from the original source code and most likely needed a renderer with correct perspective anyway I suppose they didn't have much of a choice (unless they wanted to save themselves a lot of trouble and just contract eduke32).

Somehow I get the idea that the new renderer was the main idea for World Tour, with Alien World Order being something Randy wanted as a bonus.

User is offline   NNC 

I think Alien World Order was the main feature, and the renderer was the bonus. Randy is a shitface in general, but he loves the original Duke Nukem 3D and respects Blum's and Gray's mapping talent, and wanted them back in the business. Putting a freeware mod, even if it's fantastic, would be pointless, and might have induced even more outrage.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Graphics are great, I just regret the HUD is so pixelated when the HUD of Megaton is smooth...

I'm playing through the Xbox One port.

1) The lighting is absolutely stunning. The game is a bit darker, which isn't too bad as it gives more use to the Night Vision Goggles. And the colors are absolutely gorgeous.

2) Unfortunately the sound samples are inconsistent for some reason, lots of them are muffled (especially explosions), and I don't understand why.

3) The standard button mappings on Xbox are really good, it's not too difficult to get used to them and there's even a shortcut to toggle between classic look and full 3D. Changing weapons is obviously slower but you get used to it. It's certainly a lot better than Duke Nukem 64, that much is certain.

4) The remastered music is excellent. No complaints.

5) The new samples provided by Jon St. John are rather poor. However, I must say I don't think Jon has ever topped or even matched his original voice acting for Duke Nukem 3D in subsequent releases. The Duke Nukem 64 lines for example are horrible! He makes Duke sound like a wimp in that. Sadly, World Tour is closer to Duke 64 than to the original. I don't follow his career, but something happened to his voice that made his acting worse.

6) Rewind feature is one of the greatest things in the history of FPS. It makes the saves obsolete, though I usually save before a boss just to redo the fights whenever I want.

I can't wait to play the new episode, but first I'm going through the whole game to see the graphical improvements on all the classic levels. I'm having a blast, too, as this is the first time I'm playing through the whole thing in a decade. Last year I had some fun with Duke Plus but I only played through the first episode.

This post has been edited by Duke of Hazzard: 10 May 2017 - 11:13 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Huh. I always thought his lines for Duke64 had more attitude and were more lively.

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 10 May 2017 - 11:10 PM, said:

2) Unfortunately the sound samples are inconsistent for some reason, lots of them are muffled (especially explosions), and I don't understand why.

They really fucked up on the audio. Aside from the fact the game shipped with lower quality audio then the dos version of the game, they only fixed up the ADR. Gearbox should have up-resed all of the audio.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

Half assed release has half assed audio breaking news! People have pointed these things to him and he just blindly defends it. Someone asked about a release of the other Duke games on Twitter and mentioned that World Tour did not include the third party expansions and he went on a massive rant about how selfish the Duke community is and how Duke4.net is a toxic cess pool or some shit. The guy has managed to become somehow successful and is a total stubborn bitch because of it. No one else can be right. Bulletstorm is appropriately priced. Having no reason for not including the third party Duke expansions except he didn't want to and attacking people who ask about them. Duke Forever was great. Aliens was amazing. He's a dumbass with no perspective. How could Randy NOT be right about something? I mean he's rich! :(

Posted Image

Honestly, I didn't find this game too expensive at all.

As a comparison, the Night Dive Turok port costs the same price and does not include any additional content, although the engine supports all the bells and whistles of modern games.

Biggest difference is probably that Turok was long lost to anyone who didn't get the game back in the day, and we knew of Kaiser's painstaking effort into the port before it was funded by Night Dive. Meanwhile, Gearbox's new Duke port was made behind closed doors, and vanilla Duke and Megaton were available for purchase as late as last year.

The most glaring fault of WT is the bad resampling of the sound effects, which I find important but can be ignored. Jon St. John's acting is worse than the original as well, but you can toggle on the original voice acting at any point, though I don't think you can play the new episode with it (for obvious reasons).

I've read the thread up to page 35 or so. Most people here just want to hate on the port because it was made by Gearbox and not based on EDuke32. I could live without Duke Caribbean and Nuclear Winter, myself. Duke Caribbean might have good level design but I can't stomach kicking alien ass with a damn water gun and a coconut launcher. Those things belong in Donkey Kong Country, not Duke Nukem. And Nuclear Winter is best forgotten about, like most WizardWorks shovelware of those days. Nuclear Winter in particular will not be re-released in the foreseeable future because of the feminist elf enemies, which is a demonstration of the wacky times we live in.

The problem I'm having with WT is that it was a bit of a dick move by Randy towards the community, because the user maps aren't compatible between WT and EDuke32 so it definitely feels like Randy wants people to make maps for his own port and forget about EDuke32, and he might get what he wants considering there are people who are even supporting the idea.

Nevertheless, I find it to be a superior effort to Megaton. The only reason I bought Megaton was because it came with vanilla Duke as well as the WizardWorks expansions. And I remember Megaton being shat on in this forum when it came out. Ironically enough (or perhaps not so), now it's WT that's being shat on and Megaton is even receiving praise.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

Megaton is not a great release but compared to the effort put in to World Tour it's praiseworthy. I liked the new episode for the most part. Almost everything else about World Tour like the price, the WizardWorks expansions not being included, lack of workshop support, closed source rip off of Polymer, poor sound quality, Jon St. Johns poor Duke performance and more is lazy and worse than Megaton.

Randy has said on Twitter that he does not care about the Duke fan community and all that matters to him is the bottom line. He has also said that Duke4.net is a cess pool of negativity, Duke fans aren't worth doing anything for because they'd just bitch about the price or something, and disputes every single piece of constructive criticism aimed to him. When a Duke fan Tweeted to him saying that a lot of the fan community didn't like Jons recent performances as Duke and Gearbox is warping the character from what it originally was - a series of Tweets that George Broussard joined in to and AGREED with the fan after Randy said it was bullshit and just an individuals opinion Randy was linked to the Duke4.net forums and told there were thousands of similar opinions and to read comments on news and forums. He responded that he pays someone to do that for him and Duke fans aren't worth the money and he only does things like World Tour "out of love".

This is the guy who owns the IP. Someone so stubborn he cannot accept ANY criticism and ignores everything everyone tells him even when the IP creator comes in and agrees directly with what fans are saying. Let those facts fill you with hope. This IP is doomed with Randy leading the way. Maybe he'll let someone who actually cares work on it..

View PostHiPolyBash, on 11 May 2017 - 08:52 PM, said:

Megaton is not a great release but compared to the effort put in to World Tour it's praiseworthy. I liked the new episode for the most part. Almost everything else about World Tour like the price, the WizardWorks expansions not being included, lack of workshop support, closed source rip off of Polymer, poor sound quality, Jon St. Johns poor Duke performance and more is lazy and worse than Megaton.

Randy has said on Twitter that he does not care about the Duke fan community and all that matters to him is the bottom line. He has also said that Duke4.net is a cess pool of negativity, Duke fans aren't worth doing anything for because they'd just bitch about the price or something, and disputes every single piece of constructive criticism aimed to him. When a Duke fan Tweeted to him saying that a lot of the fan community didn't like Jons recent performances as Duke and Gearbox is warping the character from what it originally was - a series of Tweets that George Broussard joined in to and AGREED with the fan after Randy said it was bullshit and just an individuals opinion Randy was linked to the Duke4.net forums and told there were thousands of similar opinions and to read comments on news and forums. He responded that he pays someone to do that for him and Duke fans aren't worth the money and he only does things like World Tour "out of love".

This is the guy who owns the IP. Someone so stubborn he cannot accept ANY criticism and ignores everything everyone tells him even when the IP creator comes in and agrees directly with what fans are saying. Let those facts fill you with hope. This IP is doomed with Randy leading the way. Maybe he'll let someone who actually cares work on it..

I feel like Randy gets away with a lot of things because he knows he's sitting on what's essentially one of the greatest games ever made and is trying to capitalize on it. Duke's gameplay holds up even today, although that's probably because FPS genre became dumbed down over time. I don't know if Steam reviews are separated by region, but at least in my region WT has a "very positive" rating on Steam, which might be enough for him in terms of publicity.

The reason I can't understand Megaton praise is the opposite of some of the reasons you listed. When Megaton came out, there was Polymer already and EDuke32 with Polymer looked much better than Megaton with Polymost. To my knowledge, you also couldn't turn Polymost off in Megaton, which was bad because General Arcade tied it to the bilinear filtering so you couldn't get the pixelated look of the original. Then there's the unofficial expansions. Charging big bucks for Duke these days is arguably a similar crime to making people pay for Nuclear Winter, IMO. Even though Megaton cost half the price of WT. :(

However, because Megaton was based on existing code and the assets weren't tampered with, a lot of issues that plague WT are non-existent in Megaton, which is a beefed up JFDuke which ran fine 12 years ago anyway so there wasn't much to do.

IMO the hidden goal of WT is to shift the balance towards Gearbox and away from the community, which won't be a good thing because EDuke32 allows a lot more freedom in modding and most of the relevant user content today was made specifically for it. Randy doesn't want to own just the IP, he wants to own the community as well.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 11 May 2017 - 09:16 PM, said:

To my knowledge, you also couldn't turn Polymost off in Megaton, which was bad because General Arcade tied it to the bilinear filtering so you couldn't get the pixelated look of the original.

You can turn off filtering in Megaton.

View PostHendricks266, on 11 May 2017 - 09:36 PM, said:

You can turn off filtering in Megaton.

I see. Thanks for correcting me. :(

User is offline   The Nate 

Dear Randy Pitchford,

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

What I find really sad and disappointing about World Tour is how Gearbox abandoned the release right after the first (and most likely only) patch. There is apparently also zero interest from their side in releasing the addons again, so if you didn't grab Megaton back then when it was available, it's gonna be hard to obtain legal copies.

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options