• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   Jblade 

View Postfuegerstef, on 23 October 2016 - 11:05 PM, said:

Lucy Pinder looks really good too ... but she still doesn't fit as final boss for a Duke game.

Than stick with the shitty Gearbox reskin, that's cool too.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostLkMax, on 22 October 2016 - 03:45 PM, said:

Of course we are! (well, I at least am).

Here you go.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

View PostSledgehammer, on 24 October 2016 - 12:20 AM, said:

The huge issue with this re-release is not that it's another Duke Nukem 3D game, it's how they delivered it. Do you think everyone would avoid HTTKC+WT release, for example? [...]

That was actually the plan with HTTKC, it seems. Really sad that it wasn't made possible for us to enjoy that release. It would have been the ultimate edition everybody had been hoping for. Even the fullscreen HUD looked neat.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 October 2016 - 01:49 AM

User is offline   HMNuke93 

View PostStriker, on 23 October 2016 - 09:37 PM, said:

The face doesn't look human to me, more orcish.

That's the look i wanted to achieve with the face.

View PostNightFright, on 24 October 2016 - 12:50 AM, said:

World Tour statusbar vs Fox' statusbar (extended by 20px to fit WT statusbar length, with minor pixel edits). I think it's easy to see which of both is the better choice...

The WT HUD looks fine IMO, but Fox's is a bit better.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostDecember Man, on 24 October 2016 - 01:56 AM, said:

The WT HUD looks fine IMO

Come on, as Daedolon pointed out, you can CLEARLY see the 'link' between the original HUD and the parts that were added on each side, and I'm not a visual artist.
Aslo the stuff they went with shows a weird understanding of the original hud intent, like making the small rectangles at the top... While it would be like that.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 October 2016 - 03:34 AM

User is offline   LkMax 

I play with compact HUD anyway. Wouldn't notice, would't care.

User is offline   Wolf 

I apologize for continuing to post about bugs with WT, as I imagine some might be tired of them by now, but I would like to get to the bottom of this.

This is, again, about the bug where lights in WT won't cross certain sector lines. I am still lead to believe it is an optimization feature that is improperly configured, but it's not quite as black and white as "how far the light is from the sector line".

It now appears that the length of the line that the light won't cross is also part of the problem. The length at which the bug occurs also varies in each instance.

Here's my example; in the map I recreated the bug in, the light won't cross the sector line when it's of 1900 length or above, while in the Death Row map in WT, the sector is only 1400 length or so and still causes it.

The highlighted line here is the line the light stops at, and what it looks like in-game.
Posted Image Posted Image

To see if wall length really was part of the issue, I attempted to cut the sector in half by adding a point on the bugged line.
Posted Image

Voila, the bug is fixed.
Posted Image

I even tested it to one of the bugged door shadows in Death Row. (Note the still broken lights on the other cell doors.)
Posted Image

[Additionally, while the bugged version does look better than the fixed in this case, it is still not the intended behavior.]

So, if anyone is mapping for WT and encounters this bug, adding a point (or as many as needed) to the offending sector line will fix the issue.

So now we know that the influencing factors are light hitag-radius (which, in some cases has no affect at all), offending line's distance from the light, and said line's length. I can't say for certain it was an optimization attempt gone wrong, but the fact that it seems to deal with distance to the light SE lends a bit of credibility to that hypothesis. It just seems like a case of bad calculation.

This post has been edited by Wolf: 24 October 2016 - 06:08 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMetHy, on 24 October 2016 - 03:33 AM, said:

Come on, as Daedolon pointed out, you can CLEARLY see the 'link' between the original HUD and the parts that were added on each side, and I'm not a visual artist.
Aslo the stuff they went with shows a weird understanding of the original hud intent, like making the small rectangles at the top... While it would be like that.

Not to mention Fox's HUD was based off of pre-release materials as well. Its exactly what it would look like if the game had been created with widescreens in mind. Nerve's version is some obviously slopped together bullshit by people who didn't care.

View PostJimmy Gnosis, on 24 October 2016 - 08:00 PM, said:

Not to mention Fox's HUD was based off of pre-release materials as well. Its exactly what it would look like if the game had been created with widescreens in mind. Nerve's version is some obviously slopped together bullshit by people who didn't care.

Widescreen HUD based on pre-release materials? What's the source screenshot used as reference?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

There's dozens of them, mainly older ones. The informational parts of the HUD used to take up less horizontal space.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Yeah, Nerve could just have looked at some BETA shots.

• The Truth is in here

View PostPikaCommando, on 24 October 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

Widescreen HUD based on pre-release materials? What's the source screenshot used as reference?

Take this one, for example:
Posted Image

Fox did an amazing job finishing the final release statusbar based on these images, that's all I can say. There can't be any other approach (considering shape) that makes sense. This is the only one. A shame Gearbox didn't realize it.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 October 2016 - 11:14 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I just took the easiest route. And Megaton's kinda of make sense, despite not using the early version as basis.

View PostMetHy, on 24 October 2016 - 03:33 AM, said:

Whatever, it's a really minor issue.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

http://puu.sh/rVoOM/547f51e515.mp4

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostDecember Man, on 25 October 2016 - 04:12 PM, said:

Whatever, it's a really minor issue.

Coupled with this reply and downvoting my other post you are absolutely worthless. Kill yourself.

• Auramancer

Tried to play a 6 player DukeMatch on World Tour...

Holy fucking mother of god, did they even test this piece of fucking shit?

Every single time, 3 or more people (sometimes everyone) would be randomly booted from the game, or crash out. Players with names too long would glitch the game and cause an overflow. Also, for no reason, dummy players would get left behind in matches, interfering with play. After 15 attempts, still have random issues. Completely, and utterly unplayable. If Gearbox gave a shit, this would have been patched already. Better netcode my cock.

Same players on Megaton or XDuke... not a single issue.

This post has been edited by Striker: 25 October 2016 - 09:08 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostJimmy Gnosis, on 25 October 2016 - 05:20 PM, said:

Coupled with this reply and downvoting my other post you are absolutely worthless. Kill yourself.

In the grand scheme of things, their job on the hud really is a very minor issue. A lot of people who are either casual players or otherwise not familar with Duke 3D probably wouldn't notice. Yes it would be nice if they did it better, but it has absolutely zero impact on the gameplay. Something like the broken final boss or poorly-devised firefly enemy on the other hand are major, major flaws regardless of how you look at it. Not to mention the post about multiplayer above mine and below yours.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Its an indicator that this person has no standards whatsoever and their opinion has no other use than to be discarded. Lack of standards is what is killing the franchise.

• The Truth is in here

I can confirm now that finishing E1L7 "Faces of Death" when coming from E1L5 "The Abyss" indeed doesn't return you to E1L5, but E1L6 instead. This happens in spite of the fact that the E1L7 nukebutton has a lo-tag of 5, pointing to E1L5. If you play E1L7 as standalone (without playing any previous map), it works as intended.

My assumption: Hardcoded behavior. When finishing a secret level, the game assumes you don't want to return to the same level from which you came, but the next. I dunno how to solve this. Maybe with an exception added to the EDuke32 code? Or rather a fix to obey the nukebutton lo-tags instead of remembering where you came from and automatically skipping that map...

I have added this issue to my list.

*EDIT*
It is apparently indeed due to hardcoded behavior of the secret nukebutton, as noted here:

"If Duke3D believes we are on a secret level (because we last used a Secret Exit Nuke Button), it will treat exiting a level differently. Instead of doing what it normally would for any type of level exit, it will attempt to continue onward from the level which led us to the secret level. (technical: ud.level_number is set to ud.from_bonus, but, since we are advancing by one, there is no need to adjust for the base index difference). Now that Duke3D has returned to the normal level past the one it had stored, it no longer needs to remember that level and clears that storage. This also ensures that Duke3D will treat the new level as a normal level."

It's disturbing that nobody at Gearbox, including the old level designers, remembered this. Or they simply forgot maybe?

This post has been edited by NightFright: 26 October 2016 - 02:29 AM

• Auramancer

I am getting some serious buyers remorse for ever getting this.

This post has been edited by Striker: 25 October 2016 - 10:32 PM

• The Truth is in here

Well, I gotta admit, my World Tour playtime on Steam is 2 hours. That's how long it took me to complete the new episode. Not gonna play any further than that.
I am currently playing the WT versions of the old maps, but in EDuke32. They look pretty nice in Polymer with the additional lighting and normalmaps. And this way, there's no suffering from laggy controls and muffled sounds.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 26 October 2016 - 01:49 AM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostJimmy Gnosis, on 25 October 2016 - 08:54 PM, said:

Lack of standards is what is killing gaming industry.

FTFY

View PostStriker, on 25 October 2016 - 10:13 PM, said:

Did it really took you so long to realize that? Ironically I was actually hyped for Megaton and that was a simple port for ten bucks with 2 expansions and no multiplayer on release, I didn't even know about Workshop support. WT has new episode and new music, but I was only curious how would they fuck this up and how good would be levels with music. I finished Megaton several times and I don't feel like I want to re-play WT.

Multiplayer part especially killed me, they should be ashamed because even small developers can do the job better, I know plenty of people who were literally new to Steam and had good support for their products day one, they even communicate on Steam with people to this day. Fucking niche fighting games usually sell almost as much as WT did or even worse, and yet developers tend to release patches for their games day one even if there is no critical bugs and they learned from the start how to handle Steam releases.

• Honored Donor

View PostSledgehammer, on 26 October 2016 - 02:24 AM, said:

I was actually hyped for Megaton and that was a simple port for ten bucks with 2 expansions and no multiplayer on release

Intentionally discounting Nuclear Winter eh? Posted Image

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostMicky C, on 26 October 2016 - 03:16 AM, said:

;)
Spoiler

• Honored Donor

View PostSledgehammer, on 26 October 2016 - 03:21 AM, said:

;)
Spoiler

Neither did the developer. Ba dum tssss.

View PostMicky C, on 26 October 2016 - 03:16 AM, said:

I always called Duke It Out In D.C a map pack, so technically Megaton for me was a map pack and two expansions.

User is offline   Steve 64 

Did I show this by any chance?
http://www.mediafire...k7/IMG_0466.rar

World Tour crashes and that pop up

This post has been edited by Demon Duke: 26 October 2016 - 05:26 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostStriker, on 25 October 2016 - 10:13 PM, said:

The boss fight, auto-autoaim and the hi-def-super sound array alone was worth it for me. Even some of my buddies almost died laughing.
It's in my collection, no regrets, I followed the duke4 and Steam forums and knew exactly what I'll get before I clicked 'buy' .

The only thing missing now, is another Randy's song, singing about those vicious gamers, as a DLC perhaps, for say $1.5 Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 26 October 2016 - 08:52 AM

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options