Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour - Duke4.net Forums

• 114 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   Lunick 

You can get some strange things to show up if you visit some urls...
Posted Image

User is offline   randir14 

Nice to see the franchise hasn't been abandoned. It will be interesting to see the kind of hate Gearbox gets in this era of SJW's and Twitter hate mobs, we already saw early stages of it when people complained about the impregnated twins in DNF.

I hope this topic doesn't get de-railed with thoughts on one particularly (clunky) joke in DNF etc. We've had plenty of years and topics to discuss stuff like that. We've all got love for Duke, and Duke is back (in some soon to be announced way)!

User is offline   Lunick 

Found out what World Tour means... http://boards.4chan....hread/349675976
Posted Image

User is offline   Hool 

View PostLunick, on 25 August 2016 - 05:09 PM, said:

Posted Image

So a new Duke 3D expansion? Not bad, but I'd prefer a new Duke game to be honest. Hopefully this sets the path towards Duke 5 if it sells well.

Talking about Build stuff - whatever happened to that Bombshell 3D Build Engine game? Did it ever get released?

This post has been edited by WheatleyNukem: 25 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

Oh, I see. Randy is now convinced that "Duke fans" will always HATE anything new about Duke UNLESS it's something based on vanilla Duke3D, and he is acting on that assumption.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 25 August 2016 - 05:22 PM

User is offline   Engel220 

Well, it's something to look forward to hearing about if nothing else.

As to what the final reveal with be, hopefully it's at least somewhat creative and isn't just another re-release of vanilla 3D on PS4 and Xbox One. I'm not expecting anything grand here, it's Gearbox (a.k.a Randy Pitchford Inc.) after all, but what I would like is for this to be the spark that rekindles the Duke Nukem flame to a point where the prospect of a brand new game isn't just pie-in-the-sky daydreaming.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Those screenshots look off to me for some reason. It might be the lack of any kind of shadows; really gives the area poor contrast overall. Duke 3D had plenty of nice hard sector-based shadows that gave it atmosphere. Several of the new art tiles don't fit the Duke art style all that well either. It'd be interesting to see how it looks in-game in the finished version though.

Is it just me or is there some kind of bump mapping on all the textures, at least where they interact with the lights?

User is offline   Jolteon 

View PostLunick, on 25 August 2016 - 05:09 PM, said:

Posted Image

So the new episode is called World Tour then? Looks kinda cool though, but something seems off about them. Also, it looks like they're bring back the flamethrower that was cut from the main game (Despite it just looks like the freezer recolored red with stuff added to it).

This post has been edited by Jolteon: 25 August 2016 - 05:37 PM

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

Gearbox Software is most certainly supporting the Duke Nukem brand and legacy. In the last five years we've gotten such exciting content including: One upcoming re-re-re-release of Duke Nukem 3D featuring an edited sprite for a flamethrower and BAZINGA! Perhaps the new episode will be good but I'm expecting something silly like all the one-liners being redone in Jon St. Johns flat expressionless Duke voice similar to Forever in an attempt to have something to market as being 'new' and 'remastered' but that's more of an unrealistic nightmare scenario for me, I really miss the Dirty Harry rough sounding Duke voice from titles prior to Forever when he actually sounded badass.

I bet it'll probably be focused on comedy that'll fall flat with loads of one-liners that are just completely random movie quotes. I hope I'm wrong and Gearbox has learnt but Randy gotta Randy. :P

At this stage they may as well just give him a bong and redo the character is an archetypal stoner dude and base the thing in Amsterdam which coincidentally is a super Gearbox thing to do. Though again that's the worst case scenario. Best case is this leads into a new Duke game in UE4 developed by someone competent that focuses on sci-fi and action instead of comedy and psychological shortcomings.

I'm highly optimistic, a new Duke 3D episode has plenty of potential for fun. I enjoy all of Jon St. John's work, so I'll get a kick out of most of the new lines I'm sure. I wonder if flamethrower is the only new gun or if there's another one or two.

I'm sure we'll see another full-on new Duke game sometime too.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Duke traveling the world seems like it'll be a fun ride, but yeah with the hype Gearbox seems to be building up, I think a tease for Duke 5 will happen.

At the very least Randy will talk more about how he didn't buy the IP just to get Forever out again in interviews.

Though it's funny, Gearbox's first use of the IP since releasing a 3DR game is releasing another 3DR game.

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 25 August 2016 - 05:59 PM, said:

I'm highly optimistic, a new Duke 3D episode has plenty of potential for fun. I enjoy all of Jon St. John's work, so I'll get a kick out of most of the new lines I'm sure. I wonder if flamethrower is the only new gun or if there's another one or two.

I'm sure we'll see another full-on new Duke game sometime too.

I enjoy Jon St. Johns work also but I prefer his deeper gruffer sounding Dirty Harry style voice from the games prior to Forever. I remember reading an interview a while back where he referred to 3DRs voice acting direction as 'grinding his teeth' and sounding like he was taking a shit whereas Gearbox gave him more freedom. I could be alone in this but I honestly prefer the former to the direction DNF took.

At the very least it's interesting that Gearbox is actually doing something with Duke no matter how minor it is. I hope this leads to re-releases of the console titles especially Zero Hour which is actually a pretty good game that'd be nice with a fresh coat of paint over it, maybe a view at some of the older builds of Forever, and a new game that kicks ass but the realist in me expects nothing but mediocrity at the very best when it comes to Gearbox. I did enjoy Borderlands until the grind became unbearable, Furious 4 looked pretty fun until that was shitcanned for Battleborn, personally I would have rathered Furious Four had been released as something that dropped the Brothers in Arms name and was its own little chaotic thing.

I disagree, since Duke's voice was at his wackiest in the Playstation games (in a good way). DNF is just Jon St. John continuing to knock it out of the park. And I can see where he was coming from in interviews, where he said he was happy he didn't have to grit his teeth the whole time like in Duke 3D. There are maybe a couple lines where he shows a little more range than in the PS1 games, which maybe some fans aren't into. But I just find it funny (but understandable given opinions) that some aspect of DNF will be critiqued/nitpicked in every non-DNF topic for the rest of time. :P

Could always wait until we see/hear the trailer to critique what Duke's lines in this sound like.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 25 August 2016 - 07:51 PM

Again maybe it's just me but I even enjoyed his VO work in the PlayStation/N64 titles. In Forever he seemed to drift further away from the character as it existed under 3DR in terms of the delivery of his lines which is disappointing given it's one of the defining elements of the character.

We'll see what comes out of this re-release soon and hopefully it isn't all bad.

Stuff like when he says "Just like Christmas" or "Killing you is as easy as breathing" etc, I consider his DNF voice work some of the best. But, well hey why am I trying to fight it, I'll be defending that game until the end of time.

It's more the difference between this:
https://www.youtube....jOE8shhaRk&t=6s

and this:
https://www.youtube...._0b4Kg&t=15m12s

The delivery on one holds more emphasis on the words, is somewhat deeper and just sounds better, the other is done in a lighthearted way. But eh, I guess it isn't worth discussing as Gearbox would never listen to constructive criticism.

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 25 August 2016 - 08:13 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I enjoyed his Duke64 deliveries. They were quite different and more emotive. But I like the PC originals too.

User is offline   K100 

More infos and screenshots : https://m.reddit.com...ased_is_called/

This post has been edited by K100: 25 August 2016 - 08:17 PM

View PostK100, on 25 August 2016 - 08:16 PM, said:

Oh it's being developed by Nerve Software, one of the devs that "helped" Gearbox with Aliens Colonial Marines.

Well ain't that just dandy! :P

User is offline   HulkNukem 

There's some bizarre looking shading going on in this screen; look at the railing in front of the green building, specifically above the pole.
http://i.imgur.com/x5tx2zW.jpg

View PostxMobilemux, on 25 August 2016 - 08:26 PM, said:

Oh it's being developed by Nerve Software, one of the devs that "helped" Gearbox with Aliens Colonial Marines.

Well ain't that just dandy! :P

I'm not sure if you're unaware, but Nerve being involved is something some of us are very excited about. They made No Rest For The Living, an insanely good and well received add-on for Doom 2. Nerve.wad sits proudly in many Doom folders. They also made the very good Doom 3 add-on Resurrection of Evil, etc.

I expect the level design to be very very good overall. Like you said, I guess there are 4 dev teams credited on that Aliens game total on wikipedia, not sure why that quagmire would be held against Nerve software.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 25 August 2016 - 09:01 PM

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 25 August 2016 - 08:55 PM, said:

I'm not sure if you're genuinely unaware, but Nerve being involved is something some of us are very excited about. They made No Rest For The Living, an insanely good and well received add-on for Doom 2. Nerve.wad sits proudly in many Doom folders. They also made the very good Doom 3 add-on Resurrection of Evil, etc.

I expect the level design to be very very good overall.

I did not know that! Just looked it up now.

That's a relief. I only remember their name from Colonial Marines, which is sad.

View PostK100, on 25 August 2016 - 08:16 PM, said:

Levels are lookin' good from those screens, promising stuff.

From the lighting it looks like Polymer or something like that. Hopefully if it is Polymer it runs better than it currently does, and hopefully they include a Polymost option etc. Or maybe it's a new renderer altogether.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It's not Polymer. It's a new rendering engine they wrote from scratch specifically so they wouldn't have to pay anyone royalties.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

No Rest For The Living is amazing.

Found some problems with the posted image. Either they have some problems with alpha masks or someone at 4chan was playing with these.
Posted Image

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 25 August 2016 - 09:23 PM, said:

It's not Polymer. It's a new rendering engine they wrote from scratch specifically so they wouldn't have to pay anyone royalties.

Interesting, very interesting. If it runs good that's a pretty cool development, especially if it can do true room-over-room etc. Though hopefully it'd include an option to play Duke 3D with standard Polymost-ish or classic lighting too. We've always got eduke either way too.

View PostTea Monster, on 25 August 2016 - 09:26 PM, said:

No Rest For The Living is amazing.Found some problems with the posted image. Either they have some problems with alpha masks or someone at 4chan was playing with these.

Definitely, gotta love it, really well done architecture in the Doom engine too. On the image there, could be good old fashioned jpg compression artifacts or something like that.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 25 August 2016 - 09:48 PM

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Posted Image

Ugh, Polymer looks so much better than this. I never noticed that outline around him before. If not at release, I hope it's able to be turned into something that runs with EDuke32.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 25 August 2016 - 09:48 PM

View Postdeuxsonic, on 25 August 2016 - 09:47 PM, said:

Ugh, Polymer looks so much better than this. I never noticed that outline around him before. If not at release, I hope it's able to be turned into something that runs with EDuke32.

Looks like high contrast or maybe some kind of sharpening filter possibly. Hopefully this comes with a bevy of graphics options for us to play with, being able to turn off anything new, at least for the classic levels.

I will say, it's tough to beat eduke32, it feels perfect. (polymost mode in particular for me)

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 25 August 2016 - 10:00 PM

User is offline   deuxsonic 

I'm hoping it's just a new GRP file like NERVE.WAD was for DOOM so you can just load that up instead of using whatever this thing is they've cooked up with lights just kind of wherever.

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options