• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostMicky C, on 13 October 2016 - 05:05 AM, said:

I doubt it, it's common practice that re-releases advertise the scores of the original game.

Wow, that review is terrible. It talked down the game for all the wrong reasons. Namely that the art is low-res and therefore automatically ugly. He also talked about how the levels are far too maze-like, and that even the new episode is a labyrinth. I take it from those here who have played it that it's relatively linear? According to the reviewer, Duke 3D is a great example for seeing how far level design has come over the last 20 years. Naturally a straight path with cutscenes everywhere is the pinnacle of gameplay.

Can we review their review and give it 1 out of 10 stars?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMetHy, on 13 October 2016 - 06:36 AM, said:

That's... amazing. How could this be?

Someone was careless. It could have some huge legal repercussion.

Also they forgot to remove an Eduke32 file from the directory before releasing it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 13 October 2016 - 07:11 AM

I'm staring to believe they tanked this on purpose, with Randys cuck attitude and gamergate song.

Plus having JSJ sounding like he's on antidepressants for the new duke lines and getting some dead wrong.

Telling people to unfollow him if they support Trump and refusing his campaigns job offer.

This stinks of Politics and they didn't even hide it with that promo.

Maybe this should be its own thread considering the implications.

Chew on that for ahwile...

I'm drunk so I'll just say it..... Jon st John is a cock sucker.

Play that on a loop youl get my meaning.

This post has been edited by Captain Massive: 13 October 2016 - 08:25 AM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

There are also other indications of sloppiness: Soundfiles which are not used (e.g. Wep_Flamethrower_Start.ogg), user.con has a definition entry for E5L9 even though it doesn't exist, one of Lee's tracks isn't used (E5L7_PluckYouPartTwo.ogg)... I mean, those are small things, but it shows that someone forgot to clean up properly.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 13 October 2016 - 07:23 AM

User is offline   Jolteon 

View PostMetHy, on 13 October 2016 - 06:36 AM, said:

Meanwhile, another glitch with this Firefly not getting hit by hitscan weapons and not firing back at me:

That same thing happened with me when I was playing with my friend, except that the Firefly was smaller when it happened.

User is offline   WesleyB 

A lot has been said before so instead of repeating the same comments about how low-quality the sounds are and how feature-incomplete this re-release is in compare to the now-defunct Megaton Edition, and how great the new music and levels are (with the exception of new enemy, weapon and final boss, all of which are pathetic, especially the final boss) I present the community with a question:

I can't describe this in any other name than "Shrodinger's Duke."
Just.. what happened here, and how did I trigger it? And did this occur in xbla release too?

This post has been edited by WesleyB: 13 October 2016 - 09:04 AM

I'm staring to believe they tanked this on purpose.

C'mon

This post has been edited by Captain Massive: 13 October 2016 - 09:34 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

from the gist of the comments, sounds like they should have just made a DLC / addon for the megaton edition and left it at that

User is offline   Sanek 

I think I'll wait till there will be a proper eduke32 launch version. If somebody will ever do the one. ;)

• The Truth is in here

Right now it's technically impossible. Firefly and Incinerator don't work in the current version of EDuke32. But that's normal, of course. Otherwise, maps appear to be functional. I could complete the Amsterdam map without any real showstopper. I mean, the maps have been made with Mapster32, so there can't be any big issues.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 13 October 2016 - 10:14 AM

User is offline   HMNuke93 

Yes, i tried the maps and they look good enough on Polymer. Someone know how to fix the parallaxed skies? They don't display correctly and i'm a bit noob ;)

This post has been edited by HMNuke93: 13 October 2016 - 10:14 AM

• The Truth is in here

You could load the skyboxes for the time being. But right now, I wouldn't try to get this running in EDuke32. Optimizations are missing.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostWesleyB, on 13 October 2016 - 09:01 AM, said:

Just.. what happened here, and how did I trigger it? And did this occur in xbla release too?

I got the exact same bug when getting the yellow keycard in Dark Side, it just instantly brought up the rewind screen without any delay or sounds being played.

User is offline   The Kins 

View PostFox, on 13 October 2016 - 05:45 AM, said:

You may not have to worry, Forge. If I am reading this properly, according to the license distributed with the game, it can be legally shared. In fact it seems the IP practically becomes public domain, considering what it says.

Posted Image
You're reading it wrong, probably willfully. The "software" is some unspecified open-source code that was released under that license, that was incorporated into World Tour. Sort of like the GPL, but without mandating any release of modifications.

User is offline   Loke 

Old Duke vs new Duke.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostPikaCommando, on 13 October 2016 - 04:57 AM, said:

8.8 is the score they gave the original DN3D.

Are trailers lying about review score liable to be sued?

They tried to be funny about it.
Posted Image

View PostFox, on 13 October 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

Someone was careless.

Those 3 words describe the whole deal.

View PostCaptain Massive, on 13 October 2016 - 07:10 AM, said:

Telling people to unfollow him if they support Trump and refusing his campaigns job offer.

He shouldn't have told people to unfollow him, but there was nothing wrong with recusing to work for Trump.
You think Trump is a badass because he talks shit on the TV? The guy is just an asshole. He lost a lot of money, support, and only gets himself in trouble and controversy for the sake of attention.
He'll lose and you should be thankful for that.
(For the record I'm not a big fan of Hillary either)

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostThe Kins, on 13 October 2016 - 10:18 AM, said:

You're reading it wrong, probably willfully. The "software" is some unspecified open-source code that was released under that license, that was incorporated into World Tour. Sort of like the GPL, but without mandating any release of modifications.

Yeah, what the hell is Sillicon Graphics and what does it have to do with World Tour?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostLkMax, on 13 October 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

They tried to be funny about it.
Posted Image

I am surprised that's actually in the trailer. It's a very weird way of admitting you are false advertising something.

View PostLee Jackson, on 12 October 2016 - 11:04 PM, said:

With the music on? I'll let you know, the music for the Paris level (Paris Manson) was one of the most difficult tracks in the whole game to get right. You'd be shocked at how many plugins, virtual instruments, drum kits (yes, there's more than one drummer), and channel strips I had to employ to get the right sound. I'd tweak one area and something would sound wrong somewhere else. It was a beast of a song to pull off.

Of course, it would be a crime to turn the music off! ;) Great stuff! I listen to it outside of the game too.

So sound effects replacement stuff for you other tinkerers out there, I noticed World Tour can read .voc files if you rename them to .ogg, so you can use pretty much any sound effect you want looks like. So I'm using the Duke Nukem 64 pistol sound since I had that one lying around, a pistol.voc from one of Sixty Four's maps.

The only other sound effects that I'm feeling a hankering to replace are the low-pitched explosion sounds when you blow up something with the RPG. Looks like one is called bang1.voc, anybody have a good bang1 lying around? Maybe from PSX? I tried the ol grpX program to get the Duke 3D version from the grp but that program doesn't work on Win10 for me.

(edit: bombexpl is another sound there)

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 13 October 2016 - 05:07 PM

User is offline   uh . . . . 

Just installed an update. What did it do?

• The Truth is in here

The only difference I see is the steam_appid file. That means you don't have to worry, all the fuckups are still there.

Speaking of the duke talk, I found quite the oddity:

This is DSCREM04.ogg , aka. the falling sound:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1br2NYvC7Mc

And this is the ALT + F10 Duke taunt, also known as AAAHHH.ogg here.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s02hfaFC8S47

For whatever reason, they decided to record it twice, even though its presence as a taunt was most likely an oversight to begin with.
Also notice how the former lacks an echo, while the latter has it.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 13 October 2016 - 12:45 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I am still working on my package. Some progress includes: Skyboxes are working in both 8-bit and 32-bit. The widescreen HUD stuff is in. My cons load the original VOC sounds, and the new Duke Talk on top of this. The old Duke Talk can be restored by changing one line.

There is more to do, including getting the normal maps loaded by Polymer, that will take some additional features on the source code side.

ETA is today or tomorrow.

View PostNightFright, on 13 October 2016 - 11:59 AM, said:

The only difference I see is the steam_appid file.

This was done so that the workshop uploader tool works without any user-side modifications.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostHendricks266, on 13 October 2016 - 01:11 PM, said:

I am still working on my package.

Hey man, you could preface this with "NSFW." Now I have to explain to the kids at daycare what a "package" is.
Oh wait, common core will do that.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostRobman, on 13 October 2016 - 01:22 PM, said:

Hey man, you could preface this with "NSFW." Now I have to explain to the kids at daycare what a "package" is.

(Alien World Order ending spoilers)

Spoiler

User is offline   Merlijn 

So I decided to buy this thing, despite the mixed response. And I ended up enjoying it quite much, sue me. :D

The issues people mentioned are certainly there, and if I didn't know about them beforehand I'd probably be more annoyed by them.
The bad sound quality really bothered me the most. That and the terrible boss battle. I agree there are a lot of missed opportunities here.

Another bad thing, which hasn't been mentioned, is that all the new sprites are static. For example, the new trees don't start to burn when you hit them with explosives.
It's touches like that which made the original so special.

BUT! The levels and the music are great. They didn't completely mimic the style of the originals but the new levels were certainly fun to play.
A lot thougher too, which I don't concider to be a bad thing. I actually liked using the Incinerator. Again its design is lazy, but it was an effective weapon in several occassions.
London, Egypt and The Golden gate bridge were my favorites. The latter is especially cool, felt like flood zone turned up to 11. ;)

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

My eyes! .... My EYEEES!

Spoiler

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMerlijn, on 13 October 2016 - 01:33 PM, said:

So I decided to buy this thing, despite the mixed response. And I ended up enjoying it quite much, sue me. :D

The issues people mentioned are certainly there, and if I didn't know about them beforehand I'd probably be more annoyed by them.
The bad sound quality really bothered me the most. That and the terrible boss battle. I agree there are a lot of missed opportunities here.

Another bad thing, which hasn't been mentioned, is that all the new sprites are static. For example, the new trees don't start to burn when you hit them with explosives.
It's touches like that which made the original so special.

BUT! The levels and the music are great. They didn't completely mimic the style of the originals but the new levels were certainly fun to play.
A lot thougher too, which I don't concider to be a bad thing. I actually liked using the Incinerator. Again its design is lazy, but it was an effective weapon in several occassions.
London, Egypt and The Golden gate bridge were my favorites. The latter is especially cool, felt like flood zone turned up to 11. ;)

I've been quite vocal about my dislikes of the new levels, but don't get me wrong. By usermap standard, they are good maps. But that's exactly the issue I have with them, they are like usermaps and unlike the original game (honestly, the Paris map really reminded me of MRCK's maps in many ways, it's uncanny). All the small nitpicking quirks I noticed only come on top of that.

Totally agree with the lack of interactivity with the new art pieces. The trees don't burn, the bikes/scooters can't be destroyed, Serious Sam corpse can't be destroyed (unlike Doom guy or Luke Skywalker), etc, etc
The weird thing is that the hookah is the only new sprite which can be destroyed even though it's the only one which shouldn't, because if you destroy it, using the switch means Duke gets high on air. Who knows, mybe it's just a satirical moquery of oxygen bars which I'm not getting here.

I think the Incinerator is cool... except for all the little things which make it not cool. Setting lava pools as traps is the most effective way to use the weapon, but they seem kind of glitched: for instance sometimes enemies flying ABOVE them, like Sentry Drones, will get damaged for no apparent reasons. Also, on mini-bosses like Overlord, the Overlord makes sound and spawns blood like it's taking damage, except I swear to god it's like he's not taking any or it's VERY VERY little.
Then, there is the fact that every burnt corpse is the same sprite. The burning kind of suck, just spawning small fire all around the body with a red palette... If you compare this to how Blood handles its fire weapons, like how most enemies have their own dedicated burning animations or burnt corpses (even rats!), the Incinerator is just a quick hack job in comparison, and Blood was Build from 1997, there is no excuse.

The "episode5boss" (which seem to be its name according to the con file) would be a lot better if he had a 2nd attack for when the player is out of reach; just having him throw the same kind of fireballs the Incinerator does, spawning pools of lava all around the area, would have made it a lot better while sticking with the theme. The player would have to pay attention to where he walks, since those pool deal insane damage.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 13 October 2016 - 02:24 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I didn't notice if this was already mentioned, so risking redundancy, I'll ask anyway:

Is this version backward compatible?
can you play it in 8bit/classic mode, and can you play old user maps, eduke32 compatible maps, & TCs like LR&WB?

View PostForge, on 13 October 2016 - 03:45 PM, said:

I didn't notice if this was already mentioned, so risking redundancy, I'll ask anyway:

Is this version backward compatible?
can you play it in 8bit/classic mode, and can you play old user maps, eduke32 compatible maps, & TCs like LR&WB?

You can play in classic mode, and the idea is to be able to play old user maps. It's only been out for a couple days, but they're going to need to do some patching to get it running better with old user maps. At the moment they often seem to crash on classic mode, so user maps are more for their new "true 3D renderer" mode. I've also had a bug where saving in windowed mode causes user maps to crash. Also skyboxes of old maps not showing up, since they have a new better looking skybox system.

Don't know about LR&WB in particular (played all those in NightFright's Addons compilation), but anything that messes with cons etc might have trouble working in this. Even custom music doesn't seem to work for user maps.

So at the moment World Tour is worth getting for the awesome new episode, and to replay Duke 3D with some cool new lighting placed by Blum and Levelord, remastered music by Lee, etc. You're always going to want to use eDuke32 primarily for user content.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 13 October 2016 - 05:06 PM

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options