Duke4.net Forums: What Really Happened to DNF After May 2009? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Really Happened to DNF After May 2009?

User is offline   Kathy 

Then DNF should have been the one leading the charge with old school design. Damn.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 15 August 2016 - 12:43 PM

View PostKathy, on 15 August 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:

Then DNF should have been the one leading the charge with old school design. Damn.

I think people are too hard on DNF, since we want it to be the perfect FPS and a strong sequel to one of the most influential of all time, Duke Nukem 3D.

For example now in 2016 we have a great new Doom game that has a bit of oldschool style to it, with less directly linear levels, secrets, jumping/platforming (though DNF had that too), and an emphasis on fast-paced action. Plus a full set of weapons and lots of weapon switching. I'd love to see a new Duke game have all those elements, and even innovate like Duke 3D did and bring some brand new things to the table. Even a Duke game in the style of Doom 2016 would beat Doom, since it'd have much more interesting locations with more fun interactive stuff, and Duke's one liners.

But I personally had more fun with DNF than id's 2011 game Rage for example, and it for me was the best FPS campaign since HL2 and Fear back in 2004/2005. And the more years pass, the more flack DNF will get as we keep comparing it to the latest great games. It's always fun/fascinating to look back at the long rocky dev cycle, but I like to keep it positive, and keeping in mind that there will definitely be more Duke FPS games in our lifetime.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Thing is DNF actually retained a hell of a lot of stuff that Duke3D did and even did the executions that give you health before Doom 4 did.

Innovative things that DN3D did that DNF does have:
- Destructible environments? Check!
- Highly Interactive world? Check!
- Variety in levels? Check!
- Personality? Check!
- Oneliners? Check!
- Pop Culture References? Check!
- Fun and creative weapons? Check! (Though to be fair DNF just reused Duke3Ds ones)
- Platforming? Check!

But thing is, all those things were in a FPS that was too modern with weapon limits, linear levels, sprinting, unskippable NPC exposition and those very long and dragging on walking segments at the beginning of the game.
Add on the shit storm that the SJWs stirred up and the horrible console ports, it gave DNF a hell of a lot more shit than it deserved.
The game wasn't perfect, but it was a Duke Nukem game identity wise.

My biggest fear for Duke 5 however is that maybe if by some miracle Gearbox delivers a Duke game that has the gameplay of Doom 4 and it's fun as hell to play, but they forget all those things I listed that gives Duke Nukem it's identity.

Gearbox's upcoming DN3D port will show if they know the franchise or not, but I still dread to see how that Bazinga line is gonna be done.

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 22 August 2016 - 03:57 AM

Smart for Gearbox to release their own DN3D port to educate some of their base who are too quick to dismiss Duke. Though it sucks they removed it from everywhere else without any assurance. I've been a little out of the loop, do we have an idea when that port is to be released?

Can't forget the anus doors!

User is offline   deuxsonic 

How come they didn't have vagina doors? Prey had them after all.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostxMobilemux, on 22 August 2016 - 03:55 AM, said:

- Highly Interactive world? Check!

Not enough. And it lacked any destructive interaction with small objects, which felt to me as an important basis for the "use" scripted interaction. DNF hardly had more interaction compared Duke3d.

- Variety in levels? Check!

Environmental - maybe. Level structure wasn't.

- Personality? Check!
- Oneliners? Check!

That the same thing.

- Pop Culture References? Check!

Which became highly overused to the point of being nauseous.

- Platforming? Check!

That one I actually liked.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options