Duke4.net Forums: Stranger Things available on Netflix - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stranger Things available on Netflix  "The new 80s style fantasy series on Netflix"

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Besides the fact this 8 episode mini-series (first season) is an hommage to the fantasy series of the 80s (and possibly 90s), it appear to be a true comeback for Winona Ryder as it fully value her talents and fit the nostalgia of her best roles !

User is offline   Lunick 

I watched a documentary about chickens and within it there was this one woman who was pretty much in love with her chicken.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I once had a pet hamster. It was gray.

I expected more constructive and topic related comments :

https://www.netflix....8a052a-30049356

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Posted Image

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I watched the first 2 episodes last night and it was pretty good. For the most part they have done a good job of making it seem like 1983. The only thing anachronistic that I noticed was at one point a girl calling her brother a "douchebag" -- that insult wasn't used until much later.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Finished watching it tonight -- very good show. I'm slightly disappointed at some of the things that happened in the last episode, but I understand they had to create a setup for the second season. Highly recommended.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I'm upset they setup a second season; I watched the entire thing start to finish hoping it would have an ending, and it totally did! I was happy knowing it was a mini-series and the tiny cliffhanger ending was more for shock; it wasn't until the next day I learned it was to lead to a new season :/
Its like the Walking Dead game; I refuse to believe any games came out after the first season because it was so good and stands on its own it didn't need continuation.
The show is still awesome though.
If there is one single thing I didn't like:
Spoiler

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHulkNukem, on 23 July 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

I'm upset they setup a second season; I watched the entire thing start to finish hoping it would have an ending, and it totally did! I was happy knowing it was a mini-series and the tiny cliffhanger ending was more for shock; it wasn't until the next day I learned it was to lead to a new season :/

Why would that upset you? You don't want to see another season? I was actually bothered for the opposite reason -- I don't mind there being a second season but it seemed obvious to me that they were making the ending somewhat unsatisfying just to accommodate it.

View PostHulkNukem, on 23 July 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

User is offline   HulkNukem 

The show was perfect by itself and even with the ending, it was a tiny stinger that could've been just left open ended.
There's no other loose ends and all the characters go through their story arcs and they all wrap up. Having another season with these characters would throw that all away and it will eventually just become all muddled and convoluted like it usually does.

If the show goes an American Horror Story route with each season being completely different, I'm game, otherwise I am finished with this setting and characters in a satisfying ending.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 23 July 2016 - 09:25 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Certainly there are some huge challenges for the writers and producers in creating a second season that lives up to the first. But there are some interesting possibilities, and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, for now. With most of the important characters being kids, they are kind of forced to change things up as the kids grow, which can be both good and bad.

Besides all the movie references (rather self-explainatory), you can fell a strong Half-Life (video game) side, perhaps because both have in common to be heavily inspired of Stephen King

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostHulkNukem, on 23 July 2016 - 09:24 PM, said:

If the show goes an American Horror Story route with each season being completely different, I'm game, otherwise I am finished with this setting and characters in a satisfying ending.

It would be indeed great.

The next seasons are going to keep the same main characters, and add new ones !

The great quality of Winona Ryder's performance make me even more confident for Beetlejuice 2 !

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Started watching it with the wife. Just finished the third episode. Loving it so far! Such a throwback to those old 80s Spielburg movies. My only gripe is the prevalence of CGI effects rather than practical effects. But I suppose it's cheaper that way. Still, that would have completed the picture.

The show is actually very poor in CGI as you can read/hear it !

• The Sarien Encounter

Just finished Stranger Things. Great. Loved it. Some people didn't like the ending, but I say it still fits in line with the style of those old 80s Stephen King style stories even if there wasn't going to be a second season. Bravo, Duffer Brothers!

The Duffer Brothers said the series won't be any longer than necessary (not longer that 5 seasons probably) !

Season 2 confirmed :

http://winona-ryder....on-2-confirmed/

9 episodes this time

I just watched the first episode tonight, awesome stuff so far! Pulled me right in. I'll probably blast through this over the week.

• The Sarien Encounter

Some friends of mine at Infamous Quests, developers of indie retro adventure games Quest for Infamy and Order of the Thorne (whom I've worked with in the past on Space Quest 2 VGA), created a small 1-room demo for a Stranger Things P&C adventure game. It's been getting a lot of attention in the media. Even David Harpour was impressed (he loved the old Sierra adventure games) and tweeted back and forth with them on Twitter.

Stranger Things P&C Demo

Article (one of the many, this one has the Tweet from David):
http://www.businessi...s-photos-2016-8

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 06 September 2016 - 05:11 AM

They want to have voice acting in this game ? If David Harbour is takent, hope Winona Ryeder will be too (it will be a new experience for her)...

Right on, I played Quest for Infamy. (big Quest for Glory fan)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 06 September 2016 - 05:09 AM, said:

Some friends of mine at Infamous Quests, developers of indie retro adventure games Quest for Infamy and Order of the Thorne (whom I've worked with in the past on Space Quest 2 VGA), created a small 1-room demo for a Stranger Things P&C adventure game. It's been getting a lot of attention in the media.

Congrats to them! It looks very authentic. Personally I never liked that type of game back in the day, but it's still good to see.

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postgemeaux333, on 06 September 2016 - 06:48 AM, said:

They want to have voice acting in this game ? If David Harbour is takent, hope Winona Ryeder will be too (it will be a new experience for her)...

You misunderstand, it's not an officially licensed game so it's not actually (probably) happening (though Steven Alexander, the CEO of IQ, has said he's already put together a design document if things happen to go that way). David Harpour just said that he loved it because he liked old Sierra games. He's not going to voice it.

My mother have been theorysing that the National Laboratory of Hawkins / Energy Department have healed the dead/dying body of Hopper's daughter and used her for experiments (according to some elements you can see on the final episode of season 1...

Amongst the new actors for season 2, there's Sean Austin (known for "The Goonies" and "Alien 2") we most know as Sam in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I thing it will be funny to have in on board !

• The Sarien Encounter

Sean Astin was not in "Alien 2," the other 80's actor that's now in Stranger Things was in Aliens (Paul Reiser) who played the company bad guy.

Maybe I have mis-read, or they were mis-informed...

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options