Duke4.net Forums: Sunglass Patch for Duke Nukem 2 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sunglass Patch for Duke Nukem 2

User is offline   el zee 

• Indefatigable Director

I know a few people were wanting a patch for DN2 with the sunglasses edits we did, so here it is. :)

There's a readme file included in the .zip on how to set it up.

Please note: This is not an official patch, and is not supported by anyone in any official capacity.

>>Click here to Download<<

Sunglasses in action:
Posted Image

User is offline   K100 

Awesome ! Thanks you !

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Cool, thanks for getting this out there Leon.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Nice!

We must not forget the sunglasses BECOME canon for fanbase power, it is undeniable that Duke-with-glasses mania it's born only after DN3D most popular of the first two games combined.

It would be possible do even a sunglasses edit for DN1?

User is offline   el zee 

• Indefatigable Director

View PostFantinaikos, on 08 June 2016 - 10:36 AM, said:

We must not forget the sunglasses BECOME canon for fanbase power, it is undeniable that Duke-with-glasses mania it's born only after DN3D most popular of the first two games combined.

It would be possible do even a sunglasses edit for DN1?

Yeah it's totally possible; just tried it out. I did the in-game sprites for DN2, so I could give DN1 a shot on the weekend.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Not sure if this will be useful or not for the DN1 sunglasses patch
Posted Image

I don't know the limits of the DN1 palette, and yes the bottom image shades are inspired from the deal with it meme.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Standard 16 colour EGA. Two gray values, a black, and a white is all there is, besides colours obviously.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 02 August 2016 - 04:54 PM

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Is there a way to get the original "DUKE NUKEM" title card in the original game? With the 2.0 patch it got changed to DUKE NUKUM but I also don't want to use an older version of the game if I can avoid it.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

K1n9_Duk3 made a patch that does that.

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 02 August 2016 - 05:23 PM, said:

Is there a way to get the original "DUKE NUKEM" title card in the original game? With the 2.0 patch it got changed to DUKE NUKUM but I also don't want to use an older version of the game if I can avoid it.

ReDuke can do that automatically. My patch for the original DOS version became unavailable when my other webhost died, but I found it on my harddrive and attached it below.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

Here's an updated version of el zee's patch:

Attached File  DN2 New Sunglasses Patch.zip (388.81K)
Number of downloads: 639

To apply this patch, simply extract all the files into your Duke2 folder, overwriting the existing files. If you have an external ACTRINFO.MNI file in your Duke2 folder, you should delete it, since your file might be modified and this patch requires the unmodified ACTRINFO.MNI file.

What's new in this version of the patch:

• All help/instructions screens show the Duke sprite with sunglasses (ITEMS2, WEAPONS1 and WEAPONS2). Basically a copy/paste fix using the in-game sprite images from el zee's patch.
  • Added sunglasses for the ending of Episode 2 (END2-1). This was not included in the original patch at all, so I messed with some pixels until I ended up with something that could be considered sunglasses. I'm not much of a pixel artist, but if you think it's good enough to be included in the patch, feel free to use it. I also removed something that looked like a bad attempt at marking out a word in the text area.
  • Fixed the ending of Episode 3 (END3-1). This is based on an old fix of the original image that I did in April 2013. I just copy/pasted the sunglasses from the patch into the image.
  • Removed all the files that don't need to be in the patch, including the unused END4-2.MNI.

Credits:
Leon Zawada (Original Patch + Player Sprites Art + Misc)
Chris Pollit (Fullscreen and HUD Art)
King Duke (K1n9_Duk3's Enormous Tool + all fixes mentioned above)

While looking at all the story images again, I noticed some odd continuity issues.
  • All the in-game sprites show Duke with some kind of metal rings around his upper arms (which I guess were inspired by some Manowar album cover art). But strangely, Duke is lacking these rings in END1-3.MNI, END2-1.MNI and the unused END4-2.MNI.
  • Where did Duke's gun come from in the transition from END1-3.MNI to END1-1.MNI?
  • In the intro animation (at the shooting range), Duke wears a red t-shirt. But in all the other images, he is wearing a red shirt with no sleeves.

I'm not saying these should be fixed somehow. I just found it amusing so I thought I'd share it with you.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options