Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: Hail to the King Edition - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: Hail to the King Edition  "The mysterious collection"

View PostTea Monster, on 04 June 2016 - 07:05 AM, said:

You're new here, right? :-P
One of us is... but I don't think it is me. When I read some of these posts to MBC, he just laughed and said "this is common". I have seen this before in my time here though. I used to read for hours to get a sense of how things were, exactly like this. I certainly wouldn't come into an ancient (in game forum years) and challenge others ideas of something with as much history and drama as Duke Nukem. While I never heard of or played any Duke Nukem games before I met MBC, I have been hearing about all of this it for more than 10 years as it is a common topic in our home.
There is a difference between posting your opinions, as opinions, and just being wrong. For instance, when I typed that there are certain characteristics of Duke Nukem 3D Duke, that are completely consistent, that isn't an opinion, it is 1+1=2. If someone else doesn't see that, it means they don't see something that exists, not that it doesn't exist, or is an opinion.

Hmmm... Tea. I'm not a Tea Monster really, but I love Tea :)

CatNapDreams

This post has been edited by CatNapDreams: 04 June 2016 - 07:24 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostLaughingMan008, on 04 June 2016 - 06:28 AM, said:

Duke Nukem Forever really is the gift that kept on giving, to everybody.

Hoo boy.

I'm sorry, you are new and I'm being highly sarcastic with you. That's not a proper welcome. Welcome to Duke4! Hope you enjoy your stay. We love having new members here despite what it may feel like at times. It's nice to see someone else who thinks DNF is at least decent. I don't think it's amazing, but I enjoyed it for what it was, warts and all. It was mighty frustrating at times, but I loved the linearity and feeling of adventure much like HL2, which I've said before. But I don't believe it keeps on giving at all. It's insanely limited and walled-gardened, not moddable, and the MP is dead. And what it does give nobody seems to want.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostKathy, on 03 June 2016 - 11:27 PM, said:

George was co-founder, co-owner. Nobody hired him. It was his company/money to begin with.

Scott was the boss.

View PostJimmy Gnosis, on 04 June 2016 - 08:21 PM, said:

Scott was the boss.

Avoiding getting myself into trouble... it wasn't that clear cut. History would (probably) be different if it were.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Scott managed the business and money, did he not? Whoever controls the money is the boss. (So you could argue he's not the boss in that case. LOL)

View PostTea Monster, on 04 June 2016 - 07:05 AM, said:

You're new here, right? :-P

LOL
Yes, I'm very new here. I don't really do.... this. Pop into forums and chat about games. I just play them and forget about it mainly. But I really really wanted to know what was going on with the Hail to the King Edition. Because I REALLY want a port of "Plug 'n' Pray" on PC. And the Nintendo 64 version is a really cool bonus. I have a mod for that. Made by the same guy who was working on a "Plug 'n' Pray" port I think. Was that TerminX who made those? Regardless, I can't wait to see what comes from any of this stuff. I just want ALL the Duke games in an easy to access package. Is that so wrong in this day and age? You'de think, the way some companies bury their games in the archives.

And thank you for the welcome, MusicallyInspired. I don't take offense at all. It's just video games, and some casual bullshitting. Not life and death.
I know some people take it that way sometimes. I try very much not too. Heh.

Also, CatNapDreams, I believe its good to challenge peoples thoughts and opinions on things. Ive played Duke games just as much and just as long as you have, and I have arrived at totally different determinations of his character. Again, it's no big deal. We all see things differently. Now, if you mean I'm not taking into account how YOU and others see him, in the way I see him, or that I'm not taking into account the things that this forum has decided.... no, I'm not. Because that has no bearing at all. It is up to the individual to determine what the character means to them, without the influence of other people. As much as you say "Everybody sees Duke is this this and this." Theirs a whole other camp of people like yahtzee and others who say "Everybody sees Duke is a past his prime rube" Again, people who played the games just as much as we have. I'm not saying 1+1=3. This is not a number or a math equation. It has more than one right answer based on your personal experiences in not just the games, but how you view life itself. And this is why I don't like coming to forums.... it gets too deep. LOL. I just want something dumb.

View PostJimmy Gnosis, on 05 June 2016 - 03:13 PM, said:

Scott managed the business and money, did he not? Whoever controls the money is the boss. (So you could argue he's not the boss in that case. LOL)

They will have to agree to let someone write a book about the history of the company to answer that question beyond "it wasn't that clear cut".

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Sorry - I probably should have said 'Welcome to Duke4.net".

It's just that with anything Duke related recently (since 2009) it seems to take years to resolve and a few lawsuits :). Nothing is ever clear-cut or quickly resolved.

Welcome to the forums!

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostWieder, on 05 June 2016 - 08:53 PM, said:

They will have to agree to let someone write a book about the history of the company to answer that question beyond "it wasn't that clear cut".

So we need David Kushner to write a Masters of Duke book then? :)

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostWieder, on 05 June 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

Avoiding getting myself into trouble... it wasn't that clear cut. History would (probably) be different if it were.

While I understand there are things you may not be allowed to reveal, how does that apply to the basic hierarchy of command?

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Maybe they can do a book like Masters of DOOM only for old 3D Realms.

View PostMalgon, on 06 June 2016 - 01:38 AM, said:

So we need David Kushner to write a Masters of Duke book then? :P

People have offered. There was a point where I had an email thread with a handful of ex-3DR people discussing whether we should be involved or not. They were willing to write the book with or without George and Scott's involvement but I didn't think that would make for a very good book so I declined and I think everyone else did as well. Partially out of respect for Scott and George regardless of differences for some... partially out of "don't wanna get sued" for others. :)

View PostFox, on 06 June 2016 - 01:43 AM, said:

While I understand there are things you may not be allowed to reveal, how does that apply to the basic hierarchy of command?

C'mon man... I can lead a horse to water...

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostLaughingMan008, on 05 June 2016 - 06:46 PM, said:

LOL
Yes, I'm very new here. I don't really do.... this. Pop into forums and chat about games.

And this is why I don't like coming to forums.... it gets too deep. LOL. I just want something dumb.

I'm calling it, you're Randall in disguise.

Don't try to deny it, or confirm, I won't believe you either way, I heard all about how you outplayed Gabe Newell at poker :)

Stakes are pretty high this game, eh?

User is offline   Hank 

^ @ Wieder - I think no one would be willing to help write a book about one's own failure, or errors.

How about writing it as a satire, with the usual disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

This post has been edited by Hank: 06 June 2016 - 10:04 AM

View PostHank, on 06 June 2016 - 10:03 AM, said:

^ @ Wieder - I think no one would be willing to help write a book about one's own failure, or errors.

Without them it's pointless untrustworthy tabloid gossip. There are situations every owner I've worked with was having to deal with that I wasn't aware of that caused me to negatively view their choices, but when I later understood their full situation I better understood the reasons for their choices even if I still disagreed. Some choices I agreed was the right choice when they were happening but refused to continue to be a participant. So no... without them it's not happening. They are the reason the story exists in the first place.

Maybe the information can just magically end up on the internet somehow... Everyone can just dismiss it as the tabloid gossip nonsense but some of us will know... It's not about making people look bad, it's overwhelming curiosity over what was going on all that time. Doesn't even need names really.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 06 June 2016 - 12:26 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostWieder, on 06 June 2016 - 11:32 AM, said:

Without them it's pointless untrustworthy tabloid gossip. There are situations every owner I've worked with was having to deal with that I wasn't aware of that caused me to negatively view their choices, but when I later understood their full situation I better understood the reasons for their choices even if I still disagreed. Some choices I agreed was the right choice when they were happening but refused to continue to be a participant. So no... without them it's not happening. They are the reason the story exists in the first place.

The story does not exist, anywhere, save some vicious critics and game reporters.
With a good writer, all three could be shown from their point of view, with some satire thrown in.
The title, The Garland Pit - you ain't too big to fall in.

OK, back to reality. Posted Image

View Postdeuxsonic, on 06 June 2016 - 12:22 PM, said:

Maybe the information can just magically end up on the internet somehow...

People have tried already. It's always been useless. Even people I'm sympathetic to when I see the stuff they've put out publicly I cringe. Their solipsism regarding the situation is painful.

Without Scott/George's perspective being played off the perspective of those working for them you get garbage. It needs them explaining their own drama along with how they saw the entitled immature exceptionally squandered exceptional talents working for them. :)

This post has been edited by Wieder: 06 June 2016 - 05:15 PM

So TerminX, I take it you don't want us boycotting Gearbox now that they have launched Homeworld Remastered on GOG?: https://www.gog.com/...ered_collection

User is offline   Kathy 

It's a good sign that Duke Nukem 3d will return to GOG. I'd say it's a hell of a good sign. Especially since Homeworld Classic is also available in the package.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View Postdeuxsonic, on 06 June 2016 - 02:59 AM, said:

Maybe they can do a book like Masters of DOOM only for old 3D Realms.

... and it would have the same title, :)

Masters of DOUK. It can have this as the cover:

Posted Image

View PostDrek, on 06 June 2016 - 10:02 AM, said:

I'm calling it, you're Randall in disguise.

Don't try to deny it, or confirm, I won't believe you either way, I heard all about how you outplayed Gabe Newell at poker :)

Stakes are pretty high this game, eh?

OH, NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, HELL NO. XP
I will stand for a lot, but implying I am Randy Pitchford is just.... cruel! Wow! That is the meanest thing anyone has ever said to me.
Unless you are speaking of a totally different Randall, in which case, MAYBE I am that person. MAYBE.

Oh, and Hank, have you ever heard of a book called Game Quest? It's a book very much like what you describe. The downfall of Sierra, presented as a fictional thing with the names changed. It probably is mostly fiction but there seems to be some true stuff in there. I don't think Roberta Williams ever had nightmares that Duke Nukem was coming to kill her though. Seriously, great book. Intersects with Doom and Duke Nukem alot. I read it right after reading Masters of Doom, myself. It was fun.

This post has been edited by LaughingMan008: 08 June 2016 - 01:12 PM

User is offline   Steve 64 

Sierra I heard of them those the guys that made Lode Runner Returns had a nice map maker in it fun game too

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostLaughingMan008, on 08 June 2016 - 01:07 PM, said:

The downfall of Sierra...

"Chainsaw Monday" :)

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options