• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where to buy Duke Nukem 3D?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostHank, on 15 April 2016 - 01:36 PM, said:

I just add this in addition:
from the license .doc file:
[C] The level must not contain any illegal material, or (without appropriate irrevocable licenses) any trademarks, copyright protected work, or other property of third parties.
Since my textures and actors are copyright by me, I would actually break a clause of said license agreement. Posted Image
Thanks, this really made my weekend Posted Image

I'm overthinking this. I'll wait for what actually will happen. Posted Image

As far as your own created assets - if you gave yourself the license to use them, and you have your permission to use them, then you're allowed to use them with build/mapster to make a map that is playable with duke3d. Nothing is stopping you from doing so and no legal action can be taken against you.
Unless you want to sue yourself.

They can't make it illegal to create and distribute non-gearbox asset maps, they can only control the use of their own art and assets. And they couldn't sue the people who already made maps prior to the new ownship take over, as the prior asset owner allowed the activity.

Will gearbox get stupid about Duke3D user made maps? Probably not.......but it is gearbox, so.......

Even if it does, it won't take long for somebody to replace the entire art and sound content with non-gearbox stuff and spread that around for everybody to use.
Or you could just set the date back on your comp clock to 2005 and make your map - so then the map file has a 2005 time stamp.

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 April 2016 - 09:20 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I'm bumping this thread because I would like clarification on a couple of things. I still do not have a copy of World Tour, so I would like to know:

-If someone has World Tour installed on their computer, and they run Eduke32, will it use the duke3d.grp in their WT install similar to how it works for the megaton edition?

-Is World Tour currently the only legit digital way of purchasing Duke Nukem 3D?

User is offline   The Nate 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 05 April 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

I'm bumping this thread because I would like clarification on a couple of things. I still do not have a copy of World Tour, so I would like to know:

-If someone has World Tour installed on their computer, and they run Eduke32, will it use the duke3d.grp in their WT install similar to how it works for the megaton edition?

-Is World Tour currently the only legit digital way of purchasing Duke Nukem 3D?

1. No. You have to copy it into the EDuke32 folder. In fact, It doesn't show up in the GRP select window, and doesn't work properly with the EDuke32 addons pack.
2. Kinda? (Yatta's GOG codes)

This post has been edited by Newcomer: 05 April 2017 - 01:20 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Err, the answer to #1 is actually "yes."

View PostTerminX, on 05 April 2017 - 01:20 PM, said:

Err, the answer to #1 is actually "yes."

I thought he asked if it would detect DUKE3D.GRP from the WT directory like it would with the GOG and Megaton directories.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yes, that's what he asked. I thought we had implemented that. Have we not?

View PostTerminX, on 05 April 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

Yes, that's what he asked. I thought we had implemented that. Have we not?

Nope. We haven't. Maybe you're confusing it with Hendricks' WT compatibility patch? Besides, The WT GRP is messed up, so it won't exactly work properly in EDuke32, and you will see medkits with pills.

This post has been edited by Newcomer: 05 April 2017 - 01:29 PM

View PostNewcomer, on 05 April 2017 - 01:29 PM, said:

Nope. We haven't. Maybe you're confusing it with Hendricks' WT compatibility patch? Besides, The WT GRP is messed up, so it won't exactly work properly in EDuke32, and you will see medkits with pills.

I haven't seen the medpacks and pill issue with the stop gap fix.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 05 April 2017 - 01:34 PM

View Posticecoldduke, on 05 April 2017 - 01:33 PM, said:

1. I mean if you use the WT GRP without the stopgap.
2. Are you using Drek's art revert?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I still haven't added recognition for the WT GRP to EDuke32 because it would make loading of the stopgap more difficult. I can see this being a concern for Duke Forces so I will have a look this weekend.

View Posticecoldduke, on 05 April 2017 - 01:33 PM, said:

You must be using NightFright's edited version.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHendricks266, on 05 April 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

I still haven't added recognition for the WT GRP to EDuke32 because it would make loading of the stopgap more difficult. I can see this being a concern for Duke Forces so I will have a look this weekend.

Yeah, and really it's a problem for the community as a whole. We can't expect people in 2017 to have a copy of the old cd lying around, and it would be foolish to pretend that Duke 3D is abandonware and give it away with mods/maps.

• Weaponized Autism

As of r6113, EDuke32 will detect the World Tour GRP and Steam installation. For now, running the game outside of the WT folder will use only the GRP and nothing else from the installation, which is functionally identical to v1.5. Updating the Stopgap, if installed, is mandatory for mods depending on the v1.5 GRP to work.

Unfortunately, our grpinfo system needs improvements so that entries that require the v1.5 GRP will also accept the WT GRP (and the v1.4 GRP). This should not affect Duke Forces, which uses the custom game content directory.

View PostHendricks266, on 09 April 2017 - 05:17 AM, said:

As of r6113, EDuke32 will detect the World Tour GRP and Steam installation. For now, running the game outside of the WT folder will use only the GRP and nothing else from the installation, which is functionally identical to v1.5. Updating the Stopgap, if installed, is mandatory for mods depending on the v1.5 GRP to work.

Unfortunately, our grpinfo system needs improvements so that entries that require the v1.5 GRP will also accept the WT GRP (and the v1.4 GRP). This should not affect Duke Forces, which uses the custom game content directory.

My god. The health pickups are uncensored. It works fine. Ok, yeah, things like the addons pack don't work properly. Do you have some sort of art tile override with the latest build? (I will still use the GOG install I got from Yatta though.)

This post has been edited by Newcomer: 09 April 2017 - 06:04 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNewcomer, on 09 April 2017 - 06:03 AM, said:

Do you have some sort of art tile override with the latest build?

Good idea. NightFright included one with his repack of the stopgap, but it went away along with the repack when I removed it.

Extract worldtour_health.7z to your World Tour installation and it should work with the Stopgap and when running World Tour from Steam.

Patching it when running with just the GRP would be more complicated, especially if you want mods to work on top of it. You can try renaming each file in this package to subtract three from the number at the end of the file name.

View PostHendricks266, on 09 April 2017 - 06:58 AM, said:

Good idea. NightFright included one with his repack of the stopgap, but it went away along with the repack when I removed it.

Extract worldtour_health.7z to your World Tour installation and it should work with the Stopgap and when running World Tour from Steam.

Patching it when running with just the GRP would be more complicated, especially if you want mods to work on top of it. You can try renaming each file in this package to subtract three from the number at the end of the file name.

I actually meant the override integrated with the executable.

• Weaponized Autism

I'm not sure what's happening if you've selected "Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition (WT)" in the startup window and there are red crosses rather than pills on the health packs.

View PostHendricks266, on 09 April 2017 - 07:09 AM, said:

I'm not sure what's happening if you've selected "Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition (WT)" in the startup window and there are red crosses rather than pills on the health packs.

Me neither. I tested it without any modifications to my steam install of World Tour, and the health pickups were uncensored.

User is offline   Hank 

^ Check that there is no tiles000.art file floating in the directory. This is why I still see a cross and not a pill thingy in my set up.

Either way, it works for me. :blink:

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options