Duke4.net Forums: Where to buy Duke Nukem 3D? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where to buy Duke Nukem 3D?

User is offline   puremetal 

Hi all, new user here and apologies if this has been asked before. I took a quick look around and couldn't see this question anywhere.

Where can I buy a (digital) copy of Duke Nukem 3D these days? I understand since the rights for the game changed hands in December it's no longer on sale anywhere - GOG, Steam, etc. I could buy a used CD version if it comes to it, but would prefer a digital download.

Thanks

User is offline   Lunick 

You can't buy it digitally anywhere without supporting the owners currently. You could check key reselling sites but they are usually poorly managed and very shady, stay away.

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 09 December 2016 - 10:53 AM

I think your best bet at the moment would indeed be to buy a used CD of Duke Nukem 3D atomic edition on amazon for example. You can get one for 50 cents "like new" and 4 dollars shipping. Then with just a few files from that install you can use eduke32, a great source port.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Aside from the obvious methods, which we do not officially condone, the only current methods are outlined above. Be mindful that there is a lot of price discrepancy on the Atomic Edition, since you'll find shady sellers who will try to pass the items off as "RARE COLLECTIBLES!!!1" and overprice them.

This list should get you going in the right direction: Amazon.com used listings of Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition

Maybe one day the lawyers will make the digitized version of the game available. Goodness knows until they do, they'll be losing money to people who will inevitably pirate the game under the mistaken assumption that it's abandonware.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I thought it was abandonware now, what makes a game abandonware?

wiki

Abandonware is a product, typically software, ignored by its owner and manufacturer, and for which no product support is available.

^ sounds like gearbox and Duke3D IMO

I got half a mind to put a link up just to test the waters :D

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostDrek, on 11 April 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

I'm not paying your legal fees.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

AMC TC is funnier...

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 11 April 2016 - 02:17 PM

User is offline   deuxsonic 

The logic of Gearbox pulling Duke3D eludes me. By doing so, people that would buy the game will now use other methods to obtain it. This is the same thing that happens when big media pull crap like geo-blocking and not having a worldwide release date for things. When one method is more convenient, guess what people are going to do? They always act shocked I guess because they're all rich and have a distorted view of the world (many have no real concept of money.)

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 11 April 2016 - 05:47 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

I find it funny that others have a hard idea grasping the concept of games getting removed from store fronts when changing ownership.

I find it funny that someone would want to miss out on sales of a game.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDrek, on 11 April 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

I thought it was abandonware now, what makes a game abandonware?

wiki

Abandonware is a product, typically software, ignored by its owner and manufacturer, and for which no product support is available.

^ sounds like gearbox and Duke3D IMO

If only Duke 3D and its related IP was completely and utterly ignored by its owners...that would be a better world than the one we live in, no?

User is offline   Lunick 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 11 April 2016 - 09:31 PM, said:

I find it funny that someone would want to miss out on sales of a game.

Oh look, Bethesda pulls the Fallout series from storefronts due to switching ownership of the IP
Oh look, the Umihara Kawase series removed from Steam due to the publisher closing down.

Both game series were put back up for sale after a period of time. It's just a thing that happens.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

All you have to do is wait, Duke3D was removed from digital stores so Gearbox could take ownership of Duke3D and then resell them on digital stores at a later date all thanks to the ass hats that are currently running the embarrassment that used to be 3D Realms.

I saw somewhere(on this forum I think) that Gearbox had stated that they are gonna bring Duke3D back soon.

It wouldn't be surprising to see them put Duke3D back on digital stores with a bigger price than usual, for instance on GOG it wouldn't be surprising to see it tagged 10 bucks instead of the old 5.

Speaking of which EDuke32's measure for missing GRPs or CONs should be updated accordingly unless it's already done

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Doesn't Duke4.net have lots of gog accounts with copies of Duke 3D? There used to be that "read me" thing at the top of forums about it. Maybe Yatta is the one to contact about that.

User is offline   t800 

View PostMike Norvak, on 11 April 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

AMC TC is funnier...

*cough* You can also try playing any user map made for Duke3D (but it musnt contain new code, graphics or sounds) in it especially with selected Zaxtor character. ;-) *cough*

This post has been edited by t800: 12 April 2016 - 10:15 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostFistMarine, on 11 April 2016 - 05:07 AM, said:

we don't support piracy

gearbox owns the duke ip

View PostTerminX, on 30 March 2016 - 03:05 PM, said:

Gearbox is actively trying to kill HTTKC now,

who is pirating whom?

fuck gearbox - i condone killing it and burying it in a toxic landfill

This post has been edited by Forge: 12 April 2016 - 07:49 AM

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 09 December 2016 - 10:53 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Looks like you can get v1.3D on archive.org... https://archive.org/..._3D_Realms_1996

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostFistMarine, on 12 April 2016 - 10:43 AM, said:

I was saying that it's not allowed to post any links to download Duke Nukem 3D. I am well aware of who owns the IP, it's just that this forum doesn't support piracy, so posting download links to the full version of game is not allowed.

Rules are subject to the whims of the masters.

OP hasn't posted again so I'm guessing they found a solution. :D

User is offline   Kyanos 

what a cool little archive site, the internet is good for stuff and things

archive.org/details/DOS.Memories.Project.1980-2003

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

There'll be a re-release from Gearbox Software eventually but it'll be locked down to disallow modding in typical Gearbox fashion. :D

View PostTerminX, on 12 April 2016 - 11:07 AM, said:

Looks like you can get v1.3D on archive.org... https://archive.org/..._3D_Realms_1996

*NB4 the free v1.3D gets discovered by Gearbox and takes it down.*

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostDustFalcon85, on 13 April 2016 - 05:13 AM, said:

*NB4 the free v1.3D gets discovered by Gearbox and takes it down.*

There's lots of illegal looking stuff on archive.org that hasn't been taken down. I doubt Gearbox would see it :D

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Archive.org is my favourite website at the moment (for various video game history / files), but there's a big problem with the site being drowned in questionable material. I wish they'd get a proper monitoring program until some big bad wolf comes and bites them in the ass. I wouldn't know what would happen to the world without Archive.org, probably nothing good.

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostFistMarine, on 12 April 2016 - 10:43 AM, said:

I was saying that it's not allowed to post any links to download Duke Nukem 3D. I am well aware of who owns the IP, it's just that this forum doesn't support piracy, so posting download links to the full version of game is not allowed.

View PostTerminX, on 12 April 2016 - 11:07 AM, said:

I love the fact that these posts are back-to-back - the latter being by the site admin, no less.

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 09 December 2016 - 10:54 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostFistMarine, on 13 April 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

I guess that makes it legal to download.

and i would guess that assuming 1.3 is abandonware is probably inaccurate

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options