Duke4.net Forums: Sw Build Editor Tutorial Videos - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sw Build Editor Tutorial Videos  "Learn how to make Shadow Warrior maps."

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

A series of videos to help people learn how to make Shadow Warrior maps.

The Basics (Getting Started)

Select/move/Copy/Paste/delete Sectors

This post has been edited by Robman: 21 September 2016 - 01:37 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Sector Over Sector

Basic Shading/Lighting

This post has been edited by Robman: 04 April 2016 - 03:49 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Sector Rotator (Swing Door)

Parallax Walls / Gong

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Room Over Room

Translucent Water

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Reserved for more videos in the future.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

And .. 1 more reserved.

Nice! Keep em coming!

Spoiler

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I believe I mentioned this before, but you should only do shading in 8-bit mode, because all SW ports except Redux use old inaccurate shading code from before we fixed it up for EDuke32.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostHendricks266, on 05 April 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

I believe I mentioned this before, but you should only do shading in 8-bit mode, because all SW ports except Redux use old inaccurate shading code from before we fixed it up for EDuke32.

Yep.
I mention this in the first video (The basics) but it's muted thanks to a copyright, I guess youtube doesn't like Led Zeppelin. (To be fixed later)

The videos can all be viewed(free of copyright limitation) from my google+ account also. It's not as neat a tidy as the youtube account but it's there if you really wanna see the first video with sound before I fix the youtube version of it.

This post has been edited by Robman: 05 April 2016 - 09:18 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

That's nice but I would love more advanced tutorials regarding advanced effects. All the tutorials around tell you how to make a basic RoR, or turret, but the thing is, there are things you can do, some you can't and shouldn't, and none of that is explained anywhere.

What I mean is, you can follow the RoR tutorial step by step, but then you'll realize that one of the wall from one of the room will disappear (like it's not there) when viewed from a certain angle of the RoR. So you have to deal with that, build your wall differently, or even not build it at all, or build the entire room differently. Everytime I can't quite get what I wanted and end up doing what the engine will let me, glitch free.

Also when I built a functioning turret, I couldn't make one which was as detailed as in the original game; as soon as I'd add more sectors to the thing, it would glitch out. It also doesn't help that the original game's maps are corrupted as fuck which makes me uneasy about copy pasting their shit or looking there how they did it.
So I ended up making a basic ugly turret which was a mix between sector and sprites; it was basic, uglier than in the original game, but it worked.
Then I kept building more shit in my map and suddenly the turret started glitching out, doing all sort of crazy shit... so I resorted to delete it, keep the map file, and told myself i'd rebuild it LAST, when everything else is done.

Same shit happened with my driveable boat btw. It'd glitch the fuck out. Even after I copy pasted a working one from the original game, I'd get a glitch where the underwater section below the boat would glitch out and semi appear around the boat... The only "fix" I found is to hide the glitch, to lower the underwater part's height so much that it would stop being visible at all. heh.

The problem is I don't think anybody, or at least anybody still active today, would know about any of that. It just seems totally random to me, either the coders didn't bother fixing their stuff and they did with what they got, or I'm doing something wrong I'm not aware of which no tutorial ever explained.

Honestly SW's effect are a nightmare of complexity and glitches.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 08 April 2016 - 06:27 AM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Well, to be fair the videos are meant to take somebody with zero build knowledge and start them building.
Or, if you already know how to physically build areas but are unsure of how to use the tagging system.

When it comes to RoR, I know there's written documentation out there but I figured it would be easier to learn the basics from a video where you actually watch it get built w/commentary.
I personally haven't gotten into the use of multiple view level sprites with some switched in the on position when building certain RoR designs.

I think we can agree that even building the basic RoR and translucent water in the videos would probably take some1 a fair amount of time to learn on their own.
(I know it took me awhile, as I had basically no community to ask questions).
Also, something to note is that view level sprites don't necessarily have to be in the same position for the above/below sectors but it keeps the process more sanitary.

If I was to try and cover every combination of effects and every other minute detail, the videos would be very, very long. If people are interested, I've handed them the basics in video form and they can expand from there. Which is already a alot more than I had to work with when I started.

I don't claim to be a full on master of the sw build engine, but I do know enough to be able to help most people. It was my goal to break the ice for people who wanted to learn and I think the videos accomplish that. I also agree that there are some limitations and glitches that you'll come across and have to be worked around, sometimes the beauty lies in figuring out the details of what goes wrong and how to get around it.

My life is about to become much busier so I'm trying to pass on things I've learned to help kickstart other people who may be interested because there's an intense lack of Sw mappers.

This post has been edited by Robman: 08 April 2016 - 03:18 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options