• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quake corner.  "Everything related to the Quake franchise. Discuss here."

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Regarding Quake 1.5:
I see right now it's only supporting Darkplaces. Does the author have any plans to make it compatible with other (more "vanilla like") ports later, e.g. Quakespasm or Mark V?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Yes, the mod will support Quakespasm but honestly the config packed with the mod is pretty good at delivering an old school experience.

• The Truth is in here

Well, the thing is I stopped using DP ages ago in favor of Mark V and I am not a fan of using a different port for just one mod. I assume the final version will have non-DP support and I guess I can wait until then. What I have seen so far looks quite appealing though and may really breathe new life into the original episodes. It's particularly nice how episodes 2-4 finally get proper bosses instead of the poor original endings due to time contraints from id's side back in 1996.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Yeah, it was a bit of a pain to return to DP after a long time for me too but I think it was worth it for this mod. Also I remember Bloodshot mentioning that the Quakespasm version may not be feature complete in terms of gore and whatnot so I did not really see a point in waiting for a version that's potentially worse than the one we have now.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

Just saw a few videos of Quake 1.5 and my first opinion is that it looks a lot like how I imagined a "Brutal Quake" should be. Maybe this mod could bring new people into Quake and cause a resurgence in Quake's popularity (kinda like what Brutal Doom did for doom).

However I will wait for the Quakespasm version of the mod, as DP engine runs like ass on my laptop (though my only experience with DP was playing Xonotic).

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 28 January 2019 - 10:39 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Haha, Primate is back :) :
https://old.reddit.c...uake_champions/
Also: Joe will have Fatal1ty on the podcast but there is no date yet.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostReaperAA, on 28 January 2019 - 10:37 PM, said:

However I will wait for the Quakespasm version of the mod, as DP engine runs like ass on my laptop (though my only experience with DP was playing Xonotic).

If you wanna give it a shot anyway, I recommend turning off RT dlight shadows in the lighting settings. I experienced a huge performance boost on my shitty laptop without a noticeable drop in quality. It would chug every time there was an explosion/a lot of effects on the screen or I used the flashlight.

User is offline   leilei 

a less youtubery perspective

This post has been edited by leilei: 05 February 2019 - 01:13 AM

• banned!

View Postleilei, on 05 February 2019 - 01:11 AM, said:

I don't get complaining about stuff that is kind of inconsequential to the mod itself, just more of a preference that you can enable/disable at will and doesn't really affect the gameplay. Just beat the last level yesterday and I'm blown away. It's like a weird bastard child of Xen from HL and the final boss of Chasm the Rift. He hardly played this...

edit: guy likes to delete comments that don't jive with his opinions.

This post has been edited by thricecursed: 05 February 2019 - 03:30 AM

View Postleilei, on 05 February 2019 - 01:11 AM, said:

This is less of a "perspective" and more of an awkward, stammering nerd commenting on literally anything he hears and sees for 11 minutes. If he's trying to be witty he utterly failed at it.
I'm also not sure what's wrong with his version of Darkplaces because I'm not getting these weird issues with the lighting and the fog. I can't even replicate it by messing with the settings.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 05 February 2019 - 05:54 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Hey, it's always cool to see a video where a guy obviously can't handle his high mouse sensitivity. Not giving a fuck about setting up your mouse sens and then making a video where the viewer can feel your distaste for the whole thing right from the first second is a great way to review something, that's how fair assessments happen. :) Honestly this should be the bible for any FPS player: fuck aiming, the crosshair is just something you jerk widly like if it was your dick, DIDN'T YOU GUYS KNOW THIS???

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 06 February 2019 - 05:53 AM

• banned!

View PostZaxx, on 06 February 2019 - 05:52 AM, said:

making a video where the viewer can feel your distaste for the whole thing right from the first second is a great way to review something, that's how fair assessments happen. :)

That's what I said and he told me I don't have the faintest clue of what I'm talking about, then promptly hid my comment. Admittedly I also called him a hipster. Who gives a shit what's "hyped". I have a problem with this attitude that just because something is popular, it must mean it's bad. Because I'm smart and everyone else is dumb!!1

User is offline   Tekedon 

I have this problem in e1m2. I can't get through here. I watched videos and the door is not supposed to open like this. Anyone know why?

*Update* Solved it. I did not know there were updates, applied the hotfixes and works now.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: quake15buge1m2.png

This post has been edited by Tekedon: 06 February 2019 - 01:58 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postthricecursed, on 06 February 2019 - 06:02 AM, said:

That's what I said and he told me I don't have the faintest clue of what I'm talking about, then promptly hid my comment. Admittedly I also called him a hipster.

Guess he got triggered at the hipster part. :) Overall though when I see videos like this the last thing I want to do is talk to the guy because it's obvious there's no point to do that. He provides no argument other than basically saying that Quake 1.5 is not the original game and from the low quality gameplay it's also kind of obvious that he is not the target audience for the mod so you know, everyone has the right to have an opinion even if it's badly articulated and shitty.

Also: I really don't think that the mod is loved and hyped that much. Sure, the official Quake sources all promoted it and most players seem to like it very much but there is also a lot of constructive criticism going around. I like the mod and personally think that Quake 1.5 is the best thing that happened to the original game since AD but I feel it needs a bit of polish for sure.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 07 February 2019 - 05:16 AM

• banned!

View PostZaxx, on 07 February 2019 - 05:01 AM, said:

Overall though when I see videos like this the last thing I want to do is talk to the guy because it's obvious there's no point to do that.

Also: I really don't think that the mod is loved and hyped that much. Sure, the official Quake sources all promoted it and most players seem to like it very much but there is also a lot of constructive criticism going around. I like the mod and personally think that Quake 1.5 is the best thing that happened to the original game since AD but I feel it needs a bit of polish for sure.

The point is to make them feel bad about their shitty opinion, so you can feel good in your dick. :) But yeah, the reviews have been pretty fair. A few people have brought up the bullet sponge enemies on higher difficulties, etc.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Oh, here's Thresh:

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Death Knight theme song by Michael Markie featuring Andrew Hulshult and a few others:

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Some Quake Champs news:
https://quake.bethes...qnlLromLM4U8X4y
Most importantly custom games are free for everyone starting today so now everyone can set up custom games with friends or just play deathmatches against bots. Go frag some bots!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

So what is there that you have to pay for?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMicky C, on 21 March 2019 - 03:54 PM, said:

You need to pay the duke4-Hank account 10 dollars. Looks like those bastards accept PayPal.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Quake Champions has Battle Passes now? Surprised it doesn't have its own Battle Royale mode with how much its borrowing from current F2P trends.

Related, I have no desire to buy a battle pass for any game; I'd rather buy a game and that be it, the current trend of buying a battle pass with a limited time to unlock content in it sounds real lame. The last thing I want is to have a schedule for when I should play a game. Luckily not a lot of singleplayer games have been doing this stuff; the newest Hitman games come to mind with its time limited one try only targets. I like the idea in concept, hate that the content is locked out when the time passes.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMicky C, on 21 March 2019 - 03:54 PM, said:

Have to? Nothing basically because even a champion is pretty easy to obtain for free (they cost 10 shards each, you earn shards by logging in, levelling up or completing challenges) but of course it's much better if you spend 20 bucks on the characters and buy the battle pass.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostHulkNukem, on 21 March 2019 - 09:47 PM, said:

I like the idea in concept, hate that the content is locked out when the time passes.

Yeah, I don't like that either but what QC has is actually not that bad. Getting to the end of the battle pass will take you around 50 hours and you have 3 months to do it so it's not like you have to grind your ass off, it's short and sweet.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 22 March 2019 - 05:45 AM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Is it true that as of December 2018, Saber Interactive are no longer working on Quake Champions? I can only find this forum thread but they don't appear to be listed on the Steam page under developer anymore either.

http://www.esreality...t-work-on-qc-a/

Saber has never been mentioned as a developer on the Steam store page. Only id was added initially, as can be seen from the app history here.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostMarphy Black, on 13 April 2019 - 09:20 PM, said:

Saber has never been mentioned as a developer on the Steam store page. Only id was added initially, as can be seen from the app history here.

Interesting. Do you know if they're still working on it? They definitely were the primary developer, with Champions running on the studio's in-house engine.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 13 April 2019 - 09:23 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

A number of sources state the same about Saber not being involved anymore so chances are it's true. You shouldn't draw many conclusions from this though as the game is still using Saber's / id's hybrid engine and if development is outsourced for an online game contracts usually end after a while (see: Hidden Path being involved with CSGO).

User is offline   Hank 

Quake 2 and Ray Tracing

from
https://www.nvidia.c...6-release-date/

• banned!

Nice, seems like something of a proper remaster. Bit too bright for my tastes, though. There's a slight tendency I've noticed to attribute the darkness and grime of those old shooters entirely to tech limitations and not to design choice.

• The Truth is in here

Not going to buy an RTX card for this, but it looks really good.

Well, at least like this Q2 can be again what it used to be when it was released: a sophisticated tech demo (I never liked Q2 gunplay, tough enemies and rather slow movement).

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 May 2019 - 02:46 AM

Share this topic:

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options