Duke4.net Forums: Wolfenstein corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 16 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wolfenstein corner  "For everything Wolfenstein related"

User is offline   Lunick 

Bethesda is working on a lot of things, I think they just didn't want to over-saturate it. I'm sure we'll get a teaser at Quakecon

User is offline   deuxsonic 

While they're at it they should announce a Commander Keen reboot, a sequel to the new DOOM, a Rescue Rover reboot, a Hovertank 3D reboot, a Catacomb 3D reboot, a Shadow Knights reboot... Do Heretic and Hexen belong to id? What about Slordax and Dangerous Dave? If so, they should probably reboot those too while we're doing absolutely everything at once.

User is offline   Lunick 

4 of those games you mentioned don't belong to id at the moment...

Ah. Well, you do the best that you can. :) Can I at least kill mecha Hitler again? I want to kill all the famous Nazis. Since it's an alternate reality anyway, I think this would be good.

User is offline   LkMax 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 14 June 2016 - 02:38 PM, said:

They already did 2 Wolfenstein games, the last being only about a year ago. Does everyone want more so soon?

Bring 'em on!
Hopefully with less forced in-game cutscenes.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostLkMax, on 17 June 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

Hopefully with less forced in-game cutscenes.

This.

And with less "look for a document in room A, oh, document has moved to room B, noooo ... document seems to be in room C, well, we were wrong, document must be in room D"-playtime-stretching.

Oh, and a coherent story that doesn't meander around aimlessly, briefly touching decaying concrete, then loosing interest in that and going for an ancient civilisation for a few minutes before making everything before obsolete by throwng the A-Bomb into the mix.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 17 June 2016 - 04:43 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

And, of all things, the storytelling in TNO is very praised... I'll never understand people. Special mention: Ultra-advanced tech hidden that's never used, ever, just because.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostLkMax, on 17 June 2016 - 07:29 PM, said:

And, of all things, the storytelling in TNO is very praised... I'll never understand people. Special mention: Ultra-advanced tech hidden that's never used, ever, just because.

Not just because, but because it was deemed too dangerous, and the Da'at Yichud didn't want the tech to fall into the wrong hands. The hidden caches are a contingency plan should something happen.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 23 June 2016 - 03:07 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

I know this is not relevant to a lot of you but Bethesda have finally dropped the price of The New order from $80 down to $20 when not on sale in Australia http://store.steampo...com/app/201810/

User is offline   ---- 

View PostStrikerMan780, on 23 June 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

Not just because, but because it was deemed too dangerous, and the Da'at Yichud didn't want the tech to fall into the wrong hands. The hidden caches are a contingency plan should something happen.

And yet it was only a ball that is shooting some strings that made a bridge collapse. Compare that to the A-Bomb. :)

But my point isn't about the quality of the secret tech, but this:
I know that the Wolfenstein games (minus Wolfenstein 2009) are having several "episodes" as a story. But in TNO it isn't treated as episodes. It feels like they needed to put the several goals you have to reach in the earlier Wolfenstein games into this one too and failed by simply forgetting about these plots in hte middle of and moving on to the next because of lack of attention span. In the original (Wolf3D), it's exapnsion packs and in RTCW you complete these tasks. In TNO It is a bit like me when I try to complete a task and you show me some DD-Cups in the middle of it and I forget about what I wanted to do in the first place.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 23 June 2016 - 10:40 PM

View Postfuegerstef, on 23 June 2016 - 10:39 PM, said:

And yet it was only a ball that is shooting some strings that made a bridge collapse. Compare that to the A-Bomb. :P

But my point isn't about the quality of the secret tech, but this:
I know that the Wolfenstein games (minus Wolfenstein 2009) are having several "episodes" as a story. But in TNO it isn't treated as episodes. It feels like they needed to put the several goals you have to reach in the earlier Wolfenstein games into this one too and failed by simply forgetting about these plots in hte middle of and moving on to the next because of lack of attention span. In the original (Wolf3D), it's exapnsion packs and in RTCW you complete these tasks. In TNO It is a bit like me when I try to complete a task and you show me some DD-Cups in the middle of it and I forget about what I wanted to do in the first place.

To me it's pretty clear.

Invade London Nautica to get stealth helicopters >>>>>> discover ancient artifacts linked to Da'at Yichud >>>>>> cross lists to find Set Roth who just happens to be where the superconcrete is being mined >>>>> Set reveals the warehouse is underwater so they need the U-boat >>>>> go steal U-boat >>>>> replenish supplies with Da'at Yichud gear >>>>> U-boat carries nuclear weapons so they need the code which is in the Moon >>>>> go to the Moon retrieve the code.

The rest is pure consequence (you come back and prepare the final assault while dealing with enemy forces).

It has some artistic license in how BJ faces some tough close calls but I do believe the story is coherent, if a bit "fantastic". I mean, the fact you're a one man army defeating the entire Nazi postwar empire is already too much... The plots are not forgotten, they're tied up. The superconcrete decay, for example, is a dead end because we learn Set is the one sabotaging it so there's nothing to speak of it anymore. The superconcrete is a plot device to find Set, not the goal itself.

The fact the Da'at Yichud weren't able to create something as deadly as the atom bomb despite being so advanced is a plothole, but maybe they weren't interested in it, as the Nazi tech we see in the game (sourced from the Da'at Yichud) is more related to crowd control than outright nuking stuff, although I'm pretty sure I've seen some piece of news related to a Moon laser beam in the game...

The latter part of the game does not have the pacing problem the first part has with the boring HQ missions, as the missions are all closely linked together. I haven't played TOB yet but I suspect the very absence of the HQ will dramatically improve the pace of the game.

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah in TOB they got rid of the HQ, the errands, and everything that gets in the way. There are some cutscenes but they are short and few to count. Also there is less stealth and it's less stupid (in TNO sometimes you stand right in front of a soldier, like 50 meters away, and he doesn't see you because you're not close enough. In TOB they see you right away).

I actually just replayed both TOB and TNO and goddamn I love these games. There is one thing I really love, it's how great movement feels. Running, sprint sliding, god even climbing ladders feels awesome in these games. The weapons feel great too, great animation and sounds.
This is also the case in new Doom btw, everything movement related feels totally badass.

TOB as the more fine-tuned gameplay, much better enemy AI and the stealth isn't stupid; but I like TNO's environments more. They are more varied and they are all awesome, and they suffer a lot less from the "combat arena" syndrome, as they are generally less obvious.

Also TOB lacks the rocket launchers add-on for the assault rifle. Dual wielding these at the end of the game is pure fun. TOB's flare gun isn't nearly as badass and ammo is scarce for it. Generally speaking, TNO taking place in TOB's future, you get a lot more over the top action with robots and explosions everywhere.

Kind of a shame we can't have the best of the two games in one package.

In TOB I'm still missing the gold medals on the Bathouse and Workshop challenge maps, the only thing keeping me away from 100% achievement in both games. I find these two challenge maps really hard, though on my high score I was only missing 100 points (the strict minimum....) for a gold medal in the workshop...

This post has been edited by MetHy: 11 July 2016 - 11:03 AM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony now has an official site, with a bunch of new screenshots:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

Goddamn, what a mish mash of different styles and periods.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I like it a lot. As a whole the visuals work together well enough.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostMetHy, on 05 August 2016 - 03:46 AM, said:

Goddamn, what a mish mash of different styles and periods.

Looks all WWII to me... :P

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

GZDoom engine?

Umm....

It looks great, I just wish they would have stuck to models or sprites. It's kind of weird when you have this nice 3D tank and 3D foliage on trees and detailed battlements and then all the humans are Wolf3d-quality pixel art.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That would even be passable if they had more animation frames added.

User is offline   Lunick 

SplitWolf 1.0 has been released http://www.moddb.com/mods/splitwolf

User is offline   MrFlibble 

A user in another forum posted photos of Doom and Wolfenstein 3-D published by a certain company called Zoom Software:
http://www.dosgames....pic.php?t=22246

It seems that both these are shareware. Wolf3D is simply called Wolfenstein, and even though the cover art seems somehow familiar I can't find it elsewhere ATM.

Interesting cover. I've never seen it before. The cover that I remember was the GT Interactive retail box.

User is offline   LkMax 

I've been doing some higher res textures of the lost episodes, more details in this zdoom thread: http://forum.zdoom.o...=941699#p941699

for a little preview of what to expect (top textures are the original, bottom the new ones):

Posted Image

User is offline   MrFlibble 

With my interest in source ports recently rekindled, I decided that ECWolf could use a set of high-resolution fonts. Currently, the port scales the original fonts up but does not perform aspect correction on them, at least at lower resolutions (640x480 etc.). So I set out to produce a quick mock-up of what the main menu could be like with higher-res fonts:
Posted Image

I decided against trying to polish a scaled up and aspect corrected version of the "Options" header, as to make it look good requires to actually redraw it from scratch, something beyond my ability. However I checked the Mac version for reference (BTW, the Mac demo works pretty well with Executor), and it does not scale up or correct the "Get Psyched!" message (screenshot). In fact, this particular font looks fine without aspect correction and might have even been created without that in mind.

Anyways, I made a post about this at the DRD Team Forums. No idea if this concept may be readily implemented with ECWolf but it would be pretty nice IMO.

User is offline   FistMarine 

That looks really nice! I always disliked seeing "squashed" menus like on ZDoom source port.

That font/menu looks great. Are there many resources like these for ECWolf?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It's a mock-up.

View PostHendricks266, on 15 January 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

It's a mock-up.

Well better to show something authentic then.

NeWolf GL (based on Wolf GL) models and texture which both program and Hi-res content development stopped 2 March 2006 at 0.73 version. But everything still on sourceforge and it's perfectly functional.

Models and textures. Very faithful to the Wolf3d sprites.
https://sourceforge....s/Data%20Files/

NewWolf 0.73.
https://sourceforge....s/NewWolf%20GL/

Source Code (if someone want to try to improve it).
https://sourceforge....0source%20code/

Then there is Wolf-GL 3D based on NeoWolf GL, development stopped here too.

Models and textures (downloads are under the christmas manga thing). But you have to download each pack one by one because there is no a one-in-all pack and you have to place and replace manually the contents.
http://wolfgl3d.naro.../downloads.html

Wolf-GL 3D
http://www.moddb.com...-3d-betacorrect

Source code
http://www.moddb.com...ource-code-beta

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

None of those are mods for ECWolf.

The closest thing to hi-res content strictly for ECwolf is this mac/jaguar sprite mashup.

https://forum.zdoom....hp?f=19&t=48633

And the content from packs made for different port (escluding models for now) can be easily adapted.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options