Duke4.net Forums: Breaking News: Dnf To Get Sequel. No Joke. - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Breaking News: Dnf To Get Sequel. No Joke.  "Sequel to DNF officially announced!"

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

Pretty big news:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?pa...y.php?id=135955

The interview with CEO Scott Miller here:

http://www.firingsqu...alms_interview/

He also mentions a follow up to Prey already as well as another secret title.

Your thoughts?

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

Wow, that's a cool find Kaiser..! :)
I'm excited to know that Prey will have a sequel... B)

I bet the unannounced project is about Bombshell...

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Make love to me Kaiser.

Micki!, on Mar 21 2006, 11:26 PM, said:

Wow, that's a cool find Kaiser..!  :)
I'm excited to know that Prey will have a sequel... B)

I bet the unannounced project is about Bombshell...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, Bombshell has been in the works since somewhere around 2000-2002. That unannounced project has been mentioned by Scott before. It was sometime in 2005 back then he said that they already had designs for it but he project had to wait until "After Duke". That too is a 3rd party game. The full quote is:

Eric, we could have shown DNF at E3 this year, and it would have been a very strong showing -- but, we wanted to keep the spotlight on Prey. Duke doesn't need the press. Prey isn't established yet so I think it's a lot smarter to focus on it right now, and Duke's time will come later.

After Duke is released, we already have designs on a new IP, that we believe can be very successful. Our model is based on the idea that we can team up with quality third-party studios -- studios who don't have the clout and financial means we have -- and create original games that help both studios achieve our goals.

This is nothing new for us, we first started doing this with Id in 1990, funding their first game (Commander Keen) and guiding the design and marketing process. Many other studios got their start with us, such as Parallax Software (Descent), Terminal Reality, and Remedy.
- Scott Miller, May 27th, 2005.

Maybe they are gonna use the DNF engine for that ? What other reason got their me for the "After Duke" bit ? More involvement from their side ? But wouldn't that go with using the Duke engine ? Or rather if they where more involved than they have been before wouldn't that lead them to use the DNF engine ?

User is offline   ultra tree 85! 

• Honored Donor

kaisersoze, on Mar 21 2006, 01:09 PM, said:

Pretty big news:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?pa...y.php?id=135955

The interview with CEO Scott Miller here:

http://www.firingsqu...alms_interview/

He also mentions a follow up to Prey already as well as another secret title.

Your thoughts?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks a lot for finding those! :) They're great! I was wondering what their plans were on a possible Prey sequel, but I didn't know they'd already planned it. B) I'm excited about their unannounced project, too. And I'm glad that they're going to start on a new Duke game once DNF is finished. B)

User is offline   Halcyon 

I'm not really surprised about that. After all, Duke Nukem still is a very sucessfull trademark. So as long as DNF doesn't turn out to be a financial desaster I wouldn't expect DNF to be the last Duke Nukem game.

User is offline   Micki! 

Halcyon, on Mar 22 2006, 05:38 PM, said:

I'm not really surprised about that. After all, Duke Nukem still is a very sucessfull trademark. So as long as DNF doesn't turn out to be a financial desaster I wouldn't expect DNF to be the last Duke Nukem game.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think noone of us "believers" actually dobted that...
What i'm surprised about, is that they actually state this so early... :)

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

Micki!, on Mar 22 2006, 12:49 PM, said:

I think noone of us "believers" actually dobted that...
What i'm surprised about, is that they actually state this so early... :)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, 3dr is really hard to figure out. They could be in late beta stages for all
we know. Hell, they could announce they are gold for DNF at e3 this year and it wouldn't surprise me *that* much. (I still think they're at least a year out, but they can prove me wrong and I'd be happy B) ). Their secrecy can be maddening(though I'm aware they're not obligated to share anything with us).

I saw a post on another forum that nothing was officially announced by Scott in that interview. I'm of the opinion that if it's coming from the CEO and co-owner of 3dr, it's pretty damned sure to be official, no? B)

Another issue is with e3. Now, 3dr has hinted they'd probably not do e3 shows again but I never recall reading anywhere where George or Scott absolutely stated "We'll never go to e3 again!". George has usually skirted around the issue(he's a master of not directly answering questions but still answering them, if you know what I mean). All he's really said is with the internet, they really *don't* have to go. He's never said "never". Scott seems to back this up in the above interview as well as a previous interview that Kristian pointed out above. So I also think we can safely assume that 3dr has never, ever sworn off going to an e3 show.

So it boils down to this: Every indication from 3dr has been that they'll only show off DNF when they're very close to being completed with it. George has not committed to a time frame when they think they're "close" but I think 6 months or less is very reasonable. IMO, if 3dr shows off DNF at e3, it's gotta be damn close to being done. No one will accept them showing it off but then 3dr saying "Yeah, but we're at least another year away folks!". George has said they will not do that to the fans again.

If DNF is at e3 this year, it's a late fall/winter 2006 release(possibly a Jan 07 release).
If no DNF at e3, I'm convinced it won't ship this year.

Then again, 3dr could announce it gold tomorrow. B)

Ah, nothing like being a Duke fan, eh?

User is offline   Micki! 

I guess there's nothing wrong with them going to E3...
They never said that thy'd go there with DNF...
Maybe just about Prey, or perhaps just to be there, and watch the other new stuff... :)

And yeah, Geroge is good in answering a question directly, without spoiling anything or give anything away that he wouldn't want to... I think that's kinda cool... B)

kaisersoze, on Mar 22 2006, 07:13 PM, said:

cott seems to back this up in the above interview as well as a previous interview that Kristian pointed out above.

That was not an interview but a comment he made to a "post" on his blog.

User is offline   dark_angel 

The game is getting closer to being done day after day, and this is really what matters most.

3DREALMS main obstacle was finding an appropriate engine to implement their insane gameplay ideas and I guess that what they were busy doing since they finished building the tech.

I am really looking forward for another kick ass trailer that will certainly blown everything away :)

dark_angel, on Mar 22 2006, 09:49 PM, said:

The game is getting closer to being done day after day, and this is really what matters most.

3DREALMS main obstacle was finding an appropriate engine to implement their insane gameplay ideas and I guess that what they were busy doing since they finished building the tech.

I am really looking forward for another kick ass trailer that will certainly blown everything away :)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"The game is getting closer to being done day after day,"

Yes Allen Blum said this in the legacy interview. It is nice knowing that and also nice knowing that he is on the team.

"3DREALMS main obstacle was finding an appropriate engine to implement their insane gameplay ideas"

Not only finding it but actually getting it done. Their main problem was that they couldn't get the tech done especially with their small programming team and just overall small size of the DNF team. However they have been on more less content creation only since December 2002/January 2003. Because their renderer was done in November 2002. You could say that DNF was saved back then in November 2002 the question of "if" was completely erased and since then it has only been a matter of "when".

Hey Kristian,

Yeah their small programming team was also one of the main obstacles to get the tech done.

And now to avoid falling into the mistake again, they are hiring designers to finish the game as soon as possible and be able to start with full power with their next title.

I really like to know what the guys at 3drealms feel when they see day after day that the game they have been working on for years now is getting closer to completion! :)

User is offline   Micki! 

Hey Dark Angel, i just realized that these two posts are your first ones here...
Welcome then... :)

User is offline   St3amb0 

Jiha, cool thing that they are planning a dnf sequel!
I want to know what genre the secret title is... :)
I really dont think that 3DR is good in making other games than shooters... B)
So lets guess, what game it could be, they are planning! B)

User is offline   Kathy 

Actually, there was Prey in the last year's E3, but there was no 3dRealms. Only Scott. What's the point in attending E3 by 3dRealms this year if they have only Prey?

Although, there may be only Scott and George(since mostly them have influence on Prey both financially and content-wise) and that will be enough to call it "3dRealms attending E3".

Micki!, on Mar 23 2006, 12:06 AM, said:

Hey Dark Angel, i just realized that these two posts are your first ones here...
Welcome then...  :)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Micki,

Thanks for the nice welcome! B)

I see that you are doing a great job in this site so keep it up.

User is offline   Micki! 

dark_angel, on Mar 23 2006, 07:19 AM, said:

I see that you are doing a great job in this site so keep it up.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, i'm doing all in my power to keep the place active... :)

Lotan said:

Although, there may be only Scott and George(since mostly them have influence on Prey both financially and content-wise) and that will be enough to call it "3dRealms attending E3".

I agree... But it's not like some other guys from the 3DR crew won't come too...
But it's more likely to expect Scott and George...
Mostly Scott actually, since George is still working on DNF...

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

I have a really strong gut feeling DNF is coming out a few months after Prey.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

As much as I hope you're right, my dear Roger, I'd be surprised if that happens.

User is offline   Micki! 

Yatta, on May 5 2006, 12:53 AM, said:

As much as I hope you're right, my dear Roger, I'd be surprised if that happens.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest, i think that time is more realistic for revealing the game (media and stuff) rather than an actual release... :)

User is offline   Nihilanth 

That would be groundbreaking as well.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options