Duke4.net Forums: Community Confessions - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Community Confessions  "OK, let's get this straight"

I confess Iron Helix is still my favorite game to this day. This game came on a Windows CD. I think I was 6 or 7 when I played this, and I would always end up scratching the disk. I can't say how many times my dad sent the disc back to the publisher. To there credit they replaced it everytime for little to no cost.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 09 June 2016 - 08:10 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View Posticecoldduke, on 09 June 2016 - 08:02 PM, said:

I confess Iron Helix is still my favorite game to this day. This game came on a Windows CD. I think I was 6 or 7 when I played this, and I would always end up scratching the disk. I can't say how many times my dad sent the disc back to the publisher. To there credit they replaced it everytime for little to no cost.

I have this game on CD. Never once played it. I remember my dad trying when I was a kid and he never got it working right or never liked it or something. I never bothered since as what I saw never looked interesting.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 09 June 2016 - 08:44 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 June 2016 - 08:44 PM, said:

I have this game on CD. Never once played it. I remember my dad trying when I was a kid and he never got it working right or never liked it or something. I never bothered since as what I saw never looked interesting.

On old Windows 95/98 boxes you had to set the desktop colors to 256 to have it run. It had the same appeal to me as Myst, and I thought the plot would have made for a good movie. Two ships head towards a barren planet, one ship is armed with a planet destroying missile. A "computer virus" of some kind infects the on board computers and re-routes the ship towards a human inhabited planet(to destroy it). Authorization for accessing the on board computers is based on the users DNA, and for whatever reason the "computer virus" fucks with the on board DNA banks and disables the crew's access to the computers. The on board security robot goes out and kills the crew because it doesn't recognize there DNA.

Now your on board the second ship, which is only a research vessel, and you have to send a science probe on board the ship with the planet destroying missile, to basically initiate the self destruct, before it destroys the human planet. You have to go through 3 sets of puzzles to accomplish this goal.

I liked the gameplay(it's basically a cat and mouse game, you have to hide from the security robot as you solve puzzles), and the graphics/music at that time were fantastic.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 09 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostHigh Treason, on 09 June 2016 - 12:04 AM, said:

I'm sure I once heard that some architect company somewhere licensed Build for the use of showing their concepts to customers. I could be wrong though and wouldn't know where to begin looking for this information.

I imagine this kind of dialog:

-We need a model of the new modern city, and we need it right now!
-Ok, here it is (*showed them a copy of duke2070.map) :)

• The Sarien Encounter

View Posticecoldduke, on 09 June 2016 - 08:51 PM, said:

On old Windows 95/98 boxes you had to set the desktop colors to 256 to have it run. It had the same appeal to me as Myst, and I thought the plot would have made for a good movie.

<snip>

This was back when all we had was 256 colours on Windows 95. It definitely started up and ran. I had thought it was some kind of first person simulation game of some kind. No idea it was an adventure like Myst. Story sounds interesting.

- When 2001 was over and DNF wasn't released, I stopped believing that the 2001 iteration of it would be the best game ever made. After all, George had said it himself: "If DNF is not out in 2001, something's very wrong."
- I enjoyed DNF because I never believed it would be the best game ever made
- I never blamed Gearbox for anything that was supposedly wrong with DNF, except for the decision to bend over to 2K's request to remove the console (Oooh, it can be used to CHEEEEAT!!!). For the rest, I still blame George and his decision to drag DNF into development hell, because he could not accept to remain with the Quake2 engine and cut the Hoover Dam instead.
- I still think the the so-called DNF 2013 mod was castrated and made bad by the decision to make it look like a 1997 Build game.
- I still think DNF (the real one) would have been praised, had the level editor been included.

User is offline   Kathy 

Who said 2k was responsible for console removing patch?

Not sure if DNF mod could have been made as anything other than a build game.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 12 June 2016 - 06:00 AM

View PostKathy, on 12 June 2016 - 05:56 AM, said:

Who said 2k was responsible for console removing patch?

2K.

View PostKathy, on 12 June 2016 - 05:56 AM, said:

Not sure if DNF mod could have been made as anything other than a build game.

There could've been an easy workaround. Leave the same locations and plot, but don't call the main character Duke Nukem.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostAltered Reality, on 12 June 2016 - 07:52 AM, said:

2K.

I only know when Gearbox said it was to prevent cheating in multiplayer. Where did 2K say it was them?

There could've been an easy workaround. Leave the same locations and plot, but don't call the main character Duke Nukem.

Having it called Duke Nukem Forever was one of its main points. That, and DNF trailer similarities. You probably couldn't have had that in any other engine even with changing the name. Plus I thought having it in build was quite awesome in itself.

View PostKathy, on 12 June 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

I only know when Gearbox said it was to prevent cheating in multiplayer. Where did 2K say it was them?

Ahh... damn it. I remember it from a thread in the old Gearbox forum, which Gearbox conveniently deleted. :)

View PostKathy, on 12 June 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

Having it called Duke Nukem Forever was one of its main points. That, and DNF trailer similarities. You probably couldn't have had that in any other engine even with changing the name. Plus I thought having it in build was quite awesome in itself.

The name Duke Nukem Forever, as well as the pacing of the trailer, were just cheap ways to excite people who cannot read between the lines. However, nobody can claim a copyright on the concept of an open-world sci-fi shooter set in Las Vegas with a wisecracking protagonist. Had the mod been conceived as primarily that, instead of using the name as the main point to hype it, it would've been possible to develop it with any engine.

• The Sarien Encounter

I remember a lot of speculating that 2k forced Gearbox to do a lot of things with DNF, but none were ever proven. I suspect they're mostly all true, but there was never any official word. Just a lot of developer/publisher accusations.

User is offline   Kathy 

Now, I know it would have been interesting was it 2K's fault, but Gearbox isn't really the company known for supporting modding, so they probably weren't that much against that patch either.

Another confession: in 2003, when I was reallly disappointed by the lack of DNF, I wrote and sang the parody of Disposable Teens I attached to this post.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

LOL that's hilarious!

User is offline   Hank 

Funny thing happened to day. A little argument happened on another thread, and I took this post to heart and read the credits. Lo and behold, one of my maps made the cut. (Yes, obviously I have not played much of this compilation)

To go back to the very first post, for the longest time I had the feeling no one likes my maps. Main reason for this delusion was, my life, when I made those maps, was a mess, and all I had were small business opportunities mixed with slave labour at the Home Depot, and never mind going on the Internet to follow up with people. Trust me, 10 hours at that Asylum and you are done with people, for the day.

Now, years later, my maps ended up on all mapping sites, with fair to good scores; and the above. Moral? Do your thing. Sift out reasonable requests and implement them in your next map, and move on. And above all, love what you do, that way no regrets either way.

This post has been edited by Hank: 26 June 2016 - 06:05 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostHank, on 26 June 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

To go back to the very first post, for the longest time I had the feeling no one likes my maps.

You made maps? :P
Somehow I've never heard of your maps (perhaps you used another nickname).

User is offline   Hank 

View PostSanek, on 26 June 2016 - 11:02 PM, said:

You made maps? :P
Somehow I've never heard of your maps (perhaps you used another nickname).

Nicknames = I started with Phoenix ( too many other Phoenixes around) and switched to Taamalus.Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostHank, on 27 June 2016 - 08:26 AM, said:

Nicknames = I started with Phoenix ( too many other Phoenixes around) and switched to Taamalus.Posted Image

If I'd known back then that you and Phoenix were the same person, I would have deducted points.
j/k I like your maps.

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostHank, on 27 June 2016 - 08:26 AM, said:

Oh yeah, I remember you now.
But I don't remember liking your maps. They were good for its time, but they were unusually hard and complicated for it's own good.
Maybe it's time to replay them now. :P

User is offline   juvenite 

I sometimes listen to Linkin Park unironically.

This post has been edited by Katrix Kytarix: 14 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

User is offline   Hank 

deleted - was drunk :P

This post has been edited by Hank: 16 June 2017 - 01:10 PM

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options