Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] DECAY - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] DECAY  "Over a decade later... the dead will walk the earth."

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostMblackwell, on 15 November 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

ATTENTION! We're getting to beta time!

I would like at least 6 testers (but I'll take what I can get), and I'll send out the first build in about 3 days (the 18th here). Zykov eddy and blizzart have both already volunteered, and if you're available DavoX let me know and I'll add you to the list.

Keep in mind before you volunteer that Decay requires Polymer.

Nice to see, that I´m in. Thanks, Mblackwell.

I will wait fpr further instructions. :)

User is offline   KareBear 

I've been following Decay for years and would really to to test it.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Send it!

User is offline   Mark 

Send MB a PM.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Already did!

I'll get in touch with everyone tonight when I get home.

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostMblackwell, on 18 November 2015 - 06:25 AM, said:

Already did!

I'll get in touch with everyone tonight when I get home.

Awesome, I can´t wait to test it. :)

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Unless you have enough testers already, I could offer some nitpicking à la Graveyard. I suppose I'm no big help in terms of gameplay issues, though.

• Evil Overlord

Right now it's strictly bug testing, with some balancing feedback (we're too far along for any major overhauls). So if that sounds up your alley let me know soonish so I can put you on the list for tonight.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMblackwell, on 18 November 2015 - 09:00 AM, said:

Right now it's strictly bug testing, with some balancing feedback (we're too far along for any major overhauls). So if that sounds up your alley let me know soonish so I can put you on the list for tonight.
Can't hurt anyone if I give it a try ...

• Evil Overlord

Done.

• Evil Overlord

Posted Image

User is offline   Spiker 

How cool they gave you your own space on Duke4.net.

18th Dec? isn't that a release date for Star Wars?Posted Image

• Evil Overlord

It can be two things. :thumbsup:

• Evil Overlord

Only two hours left until the 18th here in the USA (weeeell, at least in my time zone). Nice!

• Evil Overlord

Aaaand... done?

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 06:26 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Congratulations on the release!!

Looks amazing. Nice atmosphere and set up.

May have discovered a bug. I tried to kill the dog on the first level with a pipe and he just wouldn't die. Swapped to chainsaw and he went right down.

• Evil Overlord

The pipe doesn't quite hit where you think it should, which isn't a problem except on the dog.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Congrats on finally getting this released!

First impressions:

The title screen, fonts, and music combo are very slick and atmospheric. I like how you made unused control functions invisible in the keyboard setup, too (hey, it's the little things). When the game starts, the credits effect is very classy and unobtrusive, a really good and well implemented idea. The game runs fine for me, using Polymer at the highest resolution. The first level looks very good, with lots of detail and judicious use of Polymer lighting.

When it comes to actual gameplay, I start to have some quibbles. Ammo is sparse so I tend to use the chainsaw most of the time, which kills slowly and overheats quickly. The first level seems to be a traditional keycard hunt -- I have found and used a couple of cards now but I need to find a third, which gets monotonous in a big nonlinear level where all the enemies have pretty much the same behavior and you are mostly chainsawing them. I do appreciate the details, like the overheat meter on the chainsaw hud model. I'm just not sure if I have the patience to actually play through the game. Does the gameplay get much different in level 2?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 December 2015 - 02:01 AM, said:

Ammo is sparse.... a big nonlinear level where all the enemies have pretty much the same behavior....

Seems like some of the issues the Graveyard TC was having Posted Image I'm guessing it's to a much lesser extent though.

I'll try and play this as soon as I have a bit of time.

User is offline   Rhaisher 

Does the gameplay get much different in level 2?

You start to get a serious amount of ammo at level 3. You can 'headshot' zombies -with auto-aim off- which will make them die faster. :thumbsup:
Anyway... I find that the best way to kill zombies during the first levels is to combine fire guns with the chainsaw. That way you don't run out of ammo nor patience.

• Evil Overlord

With good shooting you should be able to get through the game without really using the chainsaw at all (even in the first level). Take your time, don't panic, and aim right for the forehead. Most zombies will go down in 3 hits that way. Avoidance works in a pinch, but the zombies will roam around so you can get a nasty surprise later if you're not careful. Always be aware of your surroundings.

Sometimes you should definitely just run away, however.

Spoiler

View PostRhaisher, on 18 December 2015 - 03:45 AM, said:

You start to get a serious amount of ammo at level 3. You can 'headshot' zombies -with auto-aim off- which will make them die faster. :thumbsup:
Anyway... I find that the best way to kill zombies during the first levels is to combine fire guns with the chainsaw. That way you don't run out of ammo nor patience.

Thanks for beta testing btw!

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostMblackwell, on 18 December 2015 - 12:31 AM, said:

The pipe doesn't quite hit where you think it should, which isn't a problem except on the dog.

Mark had this same problem on the spiders in his Graveyard mod. Is it known bug or something to do with how the original character in DN3D (who's slot the dog/spider replaced) was designed?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 18 December 2015 - 07:31 AM

• Evil Overlord

There's no replacements in this mod, everything is new/custom. The hitbox on the dog is also pretty accurate (which you'll see when you shoot it). The issue has to do with how the KNEE projectile fires off in relation to the player. If you aim straight down at the dog's face it should hit every time.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

I like how you made unused control functions invisible in the keyboard setup, too (hey, it's the little things).
No, that's pure evil, because I actually use the strafe modifier key [ALT] while playing, which is now dysfunctional.

User is offline   Mark 

Forgive my stupidity since I don't use strafe in any games. How does modified strafe work? I didn't realize its even in Eduke.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMark., on 18 December 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

Forgive my stupidity since I don't use strafe in any games. How does modified strafe work? I didn't realize its even in Eduke.
Pressing the strafe modifier key changes the rotate left/right functions to strafing left or right, for both keyboard and mouse. ... Nevermind, I've found it. Commenting the line "definegamefuncname 4 _" in cripple.con enhance.con does the trick. Once an update is planned, please inform me, I might have something to contribute within the next few days.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostLeoD, on 18 December 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

No, that's pure evil, because I actually use the strafe modifier key [ALT] while playing, which is now dysfunctional.

I see your point about that particular function, but in general hiding useless functions is a good thing, because it removes a barrier to new players. It's daunting to be confronted by a keyboard setup filled with antiquated shit like "look left" and "aim down". It's too bad we can't remove them from the list entirely.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 December 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

I see your point about that particular function, but in general hiding useless functions is a good thing,
Agreed. It would be nice if the remaining items could be moved to close the gaps in the menu. Maybe not possible (yet) via CON alone.

• Evil Overlord

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 December 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

I see your point about that particular function, but in general hiding useless functions is a good thing, because it removes a barrier to new players. It's daunting to be confronted by a keyboard setup filled with antiquated shit like "look left" and "aim down". It's too bad we can't remove them from the list entirely.

I actually set up the configuration and readme with the intent of helping guide someone that doesn't normally play Duke mods into being able to try it out and not feel intimidated.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options