Duke4.net Forums: disappointment with new video card - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

disappointment with new video card  "Nvidia 750 Ti GS"

User is online   Mark 

I had been running a 6-7 year old Nvidia 9800 GTX+. Last night I dropped in a brand new Nvidia 750 Ti GS card into my older Dell XPS 420 computer. I knew I wouldn't get full performance out of it because the card is PCIe 3.0 compliant and my motherboard is 2.0 compliant. What I didn't expect was no difference in framerate in Eduke between the 2 cards. My first thought was my old machine is holding back the card more than I thought. I tried some other high resources games like Prototype, Far Cry 2, Eleusis and was able to run the with maxed out settings and running smooth with DX10 and 11. Now I know Polymer still needs optimizing but I was still expecting a framerate boost like others have had with new cards. A second problem is when running some short Unity game demos, they also run smooth at max settings but I get horrible shadows flickering all over the screen and they are tied to player look movements. So my main reason for the upgrade was increased performance under Eduke and Polymer since all the projects I am working on use those. :)

P.S. I'm still using Vista but since other games seem to have noticably increased in performance I'm not sure that has much to do with it concerning Eduke.

I have a decentish card from a few years ago, the 560ti, and I'm generally not that into how Polymer runs either. I pretty much always play in Polymost, which I think is the best anyway, since the extra dynamic lighting etc to me looks a bit added to Duke's old art assets. Though that can be disabled.

Polymer is pretty much just a curiosity and an extra I think. If only TROR worked in Polymost. Anyways, hope your new card gives you some good gaming in general.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 24 October 2015 - 07:16 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMark., on 24 October 2015 - 06:31 AM, said:

My first thought was my old machine is holding back the card more than I thought.

Close. Polymer is CPU-bound, which means that beyond a certain point, GPU upgrades don't help.

Fixing or reducing this is the "big idea" of what optimizing Polymer would take.

User is online   Mark 

Thanks, I think. :) Maybe I'll be buying a new computer sooner than planned.

The budget Nvidia cards are pretty capable. If you're playing not past 1080p and don't care about not hitting 60 fps flat on more intensive games like The Witcher 3, the GTX 750 Ti and the new GTX 950 will more than meet your expectations and should be superior to the consoles by some margin. Don't regret your purchase, it was a good one.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

you can go to the 'Manage 3D Settings' under the Nvidia control panel and fiddle with the settings (either global - or you can set them for specific programs)

the only thing i can think of off the top of my head is to maybe set the Power Management Mode to 'Prefer Maximum Performance' and set the Vertical Sync to 'On'

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Why would you turn Vsync on?

That would cause input latency and halve the refresh any time it drops below sync unless you also force triple buffering (which still has some latency).

If you check anything off in the control panel it should be multi monitor and probably shadowplay.

User is online   Mark 

It seems I have a limited control panel with none of those choices.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMblackwell, on 24 October 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

Why would you turn Vsync on?

A second problem is when running some short Unity game demos, they also run smooth at max settings but I get horrible shadows flickering all over the screen and they are tied to player look movements.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

So my main reason for the upgrade was increased performance under Eduke and Polymer

I remember certain user (Gambini) to mock at me because I bought a graphic card to using Polymer... :) LOL

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 24 October 2015 - 07:43 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMike Norvak, on 24 October 2015 - 07:42 PM, said:

I remember certain user (Gambini) to mock at me because I bought a graphic card to using Polymer... :) LOL

interesting.
who are you?

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Anyone heard of the brand MSI? Well I got one of those few months ago and well my problems have been over :) The video card seems to be nvidia gtx 870 i know there is some 980 or something but this 870 is getting the job done for me. On my old pc it was some amd 4400 apu and I tried running RE 1 hd remake and it wouldn't work complete stutter step unplayable. but on the MSI it ran smoother then ever. It was the first thing I tested

This post has been edited by Sixty Four: 24 October 2015 - 08:11 PM

User is online   Mark 

Does it get annoying when the game constantly jumps around from one camera view to another?

User is online   Mark 

View PostForge, on 24 October 2015 - 07:01 PM, said:

With more testing I determined its the dynamic shadows that are flickering. I don't know if you are old enough to remember the old CRT analog TVs, but along with the flickering the shadows roll across the screen like your verticle hold control needed adjustment. So in this case its more than just setting Vsync. I have only a few Unity demos, no games. So I don't know if this is a Unity or Nvidia issue.

User is offline   Forge 

let's just say i was born before the 70's.

and you need to get your nvidia control panel updated - no reason to have hobbled options when you have a 750ti

User is online   Mark 

What should I look for. What I have is Nvidia's latest drivers. My panel has a whole bunch of settings for 3D but none of those same choices outside of 3D.

User is offline   Forge 

>Nvidia Control Panel
>3D Settings
>Manage 3D Settings
>Program Settings Tab
- if you're game isn't listed, then add it (most likely will have to add it)
>go through the long list of features and change the settings for those features to experiment until desired results are achieved

They might like to call it '3D Settings', but it adjusts settings for more than just 3D applications

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Forge: 25 October 2015 - 07:41 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Dell XPS 420

User is online   Mark 

Thanks. I wonder how many others just like me ignored those settings because it says they are for 3D rendering.

• Music Producer

View PostForge, on 24 October 2015 - 07:48 PM, said:

interesting.
who are you?

I'm the only active mapper working on WGR2 new release along with William G (maybe) :)

User is offline   Forge 

maybe if i reviewed a certain map of yours (with a yellow car) for CGS it might jar my memory

• Music Producer

View PostForge, on 26 October 2015 - 09:29 PM, said:

maybe if i reviewed a certain map of yours (with a yellow car) for CGS it might jar my memory

I was actually playing the map a few weeks ago and found it really worth to finish it, make the ship bigger and the outside smaller.

User is offline   Forge 

quit teasing me

• Music Producer

View PostForge, on 05 November 2015 - 07:19 PM, said:

quit teasing me

But first I need to finish the WGR maps, convince DT to work on the TC again :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options