Duke4.net Forums: The "Don't"s of DN3D mapping? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The "Don't"s of DN3D mapping?  "What NOT to do's"

It's just a personal opinion, but I really don't like elevators that exits from a side that is not the one you enter from or opposite of it. Which means that every time I take an elevator, I'm paranoid about which side will be the exit side because more often than not there's a really mean ambush just right outside the elevator exit.

What about elevators with in which both exits are open ?

For instance in the penultimate map of Final Confrontation there's an elevator with 2 entries and when it arrives to destination you can exit from both sides but you'll face an enforcer ready to spit in yer face

User is offline   MetHy 

Don't pretend that the mini-Battlelord is a boss. It's really wasn't in the original game, and it hardly ever works that way in usermaps honestly. They might be a small increase in difficulty, but noone feels like he's been through a real bossfight after killing one, especially if he was alone.

I know I might be guilty of that in some of my maps though, but something had always ticked me off about mini-Blord "bossfights" and I couldn't put my finger on it until recently.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 04 September 2015 - 09:41 AM

View PostPikaCommando, on 04 September 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

It's just a personal opinion, but I really don't like elevators that exits from a side that is not the one you enter from or opposite of it. Which means that every time I take an elevator, I'm paranoid about which side will be the exit side because more often than not there's a really mean ambush just right outside the elevator exit.

Awww, you wuss :D Inducing paranoia, fear - or even laughter - must mean you are playing a reasonable map.

OK, I do half agree; a liztroop or maybe a picgop at the top of an elevator where you don't know which side you are exiting is, in my mind, fair game as you should have time to react and maybe the map designer will think about it and give some corner cover in the elevator, or perhaps a more obscure route to bypass the elevator so you get the upper hand. Things like commanders though are a no-no as at close quarters you stand no chance - is it just me who sometimes fires 10 shrink rays at one of them and it has no effect?

TTFN,
Jon

Most of the time a single shrink ray should work, on my end it's the Octabrain that happens to be resistant to it, sometimes take 2 or 3 hits to work :/

View Postthedrawliner, on 04 September 2015 - 09:54 AM, said:

Most of the time a single shrink ray should work, on my end it's the Octabrain that happens to be resistant to it, sometimes take 2 or 3 hits to work :/

Thing is, it is just so random, sometimes it's the first shot, more typically it is 2-4 shots and there was one instance when I unloaded the entire shrinker at a commander with no effect. So, the commander is definately not the kind of thing for the top of an elevator, its as bad as setting off explosions in a player's face with no warning,

TTFN,
Jon

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Don't forget ambient sounds in some places, and don't make the map start with Duke under attack right away give it a safe spot like the roof of Hollywood. I assume we are mentioning things we learned ourselves through our own maps.

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 09 December 2016 - 10:18 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yeah the shrink ray actually hitting the commander and not causing him to shrink is definitely annoying. It's not really a mapping issue though. The thing to note is that the shrink ray actually has a blast radius; it's small but it's there, and it's possible to shrink two enemies at once. Since the actual sprite location of enemies is at the bottom, that's where it detects the blast and hence why shooting their feet is best like FistMarine suggested.

View Post64Ghost, on 04 September 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

I assume we are mentioning things we learned ourselves through our own maps.

Anyone's maps really.

User is offline   NNC 

View Post64Ghost, on 04 September 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

Don't forget ambient sounds in some places, and don't make the map start with Duke under attack right away give it a safe spot like the roof of Hollywood. I assume we are mentioning things we learned ourselves through our own maps.

Start locations in most user maps are pretty underwhelming though. In the original game or in DNF2013 the levels start with a spectacular scene with an enemy appearing in the safe distance or Duke starts talking something relevant and related to the scene. Hearing a simple pistol clip in an average looking room with no ambient sound is something I never really liked at mapstarts.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 05 September 2015 - 10:42 AM

"the actual sprite location of enemies is at the bottom,"

So that's why the laser pistol in Duke Plus aims at the enemies feet when using auto-aim !
Annoying when they're behind counters T_T

This post has been edited by thedrawliner: 05 September 2015 - 11:13 AM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Oh I am just saying from personal experiences with anything I said so far. The red light district start is cool to and that starts under attack, but I think it is a fair attack based on the supplies by then. This topic is tough because not everyone has the same preference (heheh). I think if the map is purposely like that then okay, but its a bit tough to be under attack right away with no weaponry especially for newer players. I have played quite a few maps under attack and alot of the time they seem to lack the weapons wanted or even needed to clear that section.

I don't mean the ones where the needed pick ups are supplied but you need to find them with some casual scoping, but rather when there not really there and your looking but they don't show up till later and you have enemies flocking you help help xD maybe the weapons are in a secret room behind a door in an endless corridor of sprite doors?? heheh. My first map Ghost town started under attack but there was weapons there to do the job, even then I still wish I started the map inside a saloon instead of crash coursing it. But I never said there couldn't be an alien or 3 there to give you some trouble :D

Ahhhh how to create new meaning to progress in maps other then keycards, explosions, and switches. Then again are we taking the retro system for granted its a quest to find out :D

User is offline   t800 

View Postzykov eddy, on 02 September 2015 - 06:20 PM, said:

From Zykov Eddy softwareComes a latest hot releaseA really, really wrong mapIncludes all your favorite Duke 3D tropes!WARNING CANNOT BE PLAYED WITHOUT INCLUDED ART FILE PLEASE MAKE SURE TO PLAY WITH NEW CASTOM ART WORK THANK YOUEnjoy

View PostThe Mechanic, on 03 September 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

Phah! Amatuer :D :D :D Now, _this_ is pretty much everything I hate (bar enemies placed up high so you can't shoot them, I couldn't be arsed).TTFN, Jon

Admit it guys, you were ashamed by your creations, so you just asked permission to use Lakisoft's best works. ^_^

Come on, just 13 more upvotes, I want to see continuation! :D

This post has been edited by t800: 06 September 2015 - 02:03 AM

User is offline   Gargoyle 

Cramped, overdetailed rooms where the player goes boing-boing on step-high desks, panels, rails and objects. Probably the main reason why I stick to the internal levels and classic style maps.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Most mappers who include that much detail tend to make the spritework non-blocking. So although it's less realistic to move through desks and stuff, at least it's good for gameplay.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

What Micky C said.
Also when people use trimming, there should also be some limited form of fake clipping that guides the player. Collision code wasn't really meant to easily go around few unit thick wall trimmings and such.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options