Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Forever (How to set FOV to 120) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Forever (How to set FOV to 120)  "How to change the FoV to something higher than 90 in DNF."

User is offline   StarNukem 

I know you guys don't like me, nor do I care if you like me, but I figured I'd throw this in here in case anyone knew.

Click here to be redirected to the Steam page that this came from...

If you're a person who likes higher FoV options because you're used to games like Quake and Unreal Tournament, then this guide will help you out! Duke Nukem Forever limits your field of view to 90 at the maximum, BUT with this simple and easy trick, you can change that to something like this...
Attached Image: 2015-08-25_00001.jpg

That is 120 FoV in Duke Nukem Forever and this guide will help you change that. Here's how...

P.S. If you noticed my EGO meter says "StarCraftZerg" that is another simple trick that I can teach you as a BONUS for this guide. It will be at the end.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Like I said, this is fairly simple to do and PLEASE follow my instructions CAREFULLY!!! I can't stress that enough. If you change the slightest thing within this file, your game will be rendered unplayable. Gearbox tried to keep out modders by penalizing you for tampering with the files and if you mess with the wrong line of code, your game is SHOT. Thanks Randy Pitchford...

Anyway, you're going to want to find a file within your Steam/userdata/"PlayerID"/57900/remote named "user.ini". ("PlayerID" is a bunch of random numbers that make up your profile on Steam. If you have multiple accounts, you're going to be doing some deep scavenging). Once you find the "user.ini" file, you open it with Notepad and this is where I say to be VERY careful. Do not change ANYTHING else within this file or your game will be unplayable. Unplayable as in, you make it on to the game just fine but if you try to play, all of your keybindings are reset and you can't change them again so you have an unplayable Duke character.

Now, the lines of code you're looking for are towards the bottom of the file. There are 3 things you will have to change and they are all labeled DefaultFOV so they should look like this:

DefaultFOV=75
DefaultFOV=75.000000
DefaultFOV=75.000000

-Note-
These are not together like shown above, they are seperated and the best way to find them is by pressing "CTRL + F" to find a certain phrase. In this case, look for the phrase "DefaultFOV" without the quotes.

Once you find all of the DefaultFOV lines, change the "75" to "120". Don't change the decimals, just the real numbers and when you're done click "File" at the top, save it and run Duke Nukem Forever. If this was all done correctly, you will have your field of view changed to this...
Attached Image: 2015-08-25_00001.jpg

Hope this helped you guys and if you have any questions, please leave a comment below. Have fun!

P.S. The EGO text tutorial is in the Steam guide.

View PostStarCraftZergling, on 25 August 2015 - 09:39 PM, said:

I know you guys don't like me, nor do I care if you like me, but I figured I'd throw this in here in case anyone knew.

It's not that people don't like you as much as they don't take you seriously because you attacked a respected member for some incredibly childish reasons (their age, for example)

If you react a little more maturely to things and learn to take a joke, believe me, you'll have a much nicer experience on this forum

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

It's worth noting that it's possible to trick the steam cloud into taking in your changes permanently. Especially if you set it up so that a bind changes your FOV. I also made a bind once that drastically reduces the depth of field to something more natural and appealing, while retaining the other special post-processing effects.

Here's the contents of my bind. On line 96 of user.ini, after F1=ShowControls, I decided to put this in:

F2=set dngame.playerpawn vehiclepov vpov_firstperson | set Engine.PlayerPawn MouseAccelDampening 0.000001 | r_dofpow 0 | r_bumpmipbias -1 | r_mipbias -1 | r_maxanisotropy 16

If you want, you can add "| fov 120" to the end of that to set your FOV. But, that command will disable the DOF, remove the mouse acceleration almost completely, set the mip bias to -1 plus set anisotropic filtering to 16x so you get the sharpest textures possible, and it'll set up first person vehicle view. All you need to do to activate it in-game is to press F2 on the keyboard.

Now, to get it to save... it's been a while so my memory might not be serving me well at the moment on the exact process. I think you gotta launch DNF first, edit your ini, save it, set it to read-only, then quit the game. When the steam cloud syncs, it should yank the changes from your modified INI into the cloud.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 25 August 2015 - 11:54 PM

View PostTheZombieKiller, on 25 August 2015 - 10:05 PM, said:

It's not that people don't like you as much as they don't take you seriously...

So what you're saying is people don't like me lol. Like I said man, I don't care if anyone here likes me. I have my beliefs and I stick by them. When I say the moderators abuse their power, something must have happened to make me say that for example my title. I have quite a few experiences in the past that would lead me to that conclusion and if the mods don't like me disrespecting them then they shouldn't have disrespected me. Hendricks was my friend at one point and then I started complaining about Duke4 and how members were attacking my posts and I asked to be banned and he sent me to TX. When I went to TX he said he'd ban me if he made my title "Whiny Pussy Cry Baby" like you see there to the left.

I never asked for that title but they put it there anyway because they didn't like my point of view. People were saying "why didn't you just go to the admin and resolve the problem personally?" And I'm like, "don't you think I did that???" That's why I have no respect because the moderators can abuse whoever they want but god forbid anyone with low rep makes a comment at their expense, then the fucking forums go haywire. That "Duke4 is dead" thread I made was to see how much I could piss off the bees in this bees nest and I am COMPLETELY satisfied with what I did.

Basically, I don't like the moderators for their abuse of power and if they have a problem with me, that's fine! I don't care, because I give respect to those who've earned it so don't expect me to kiss ass here.

You said Duke is dying and all sorts of silly silly stuff. You also said this forum is dead. Are you going to formally take that back? Like in Hollywood you're supposed to officially take these things back, it's part of the process.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 26 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 26 August 2015 - 12:54 PM, said:

You said Duke is dying and all sorts of silly silly stuff. You also said this forum is dead. Are you going to formally take that back? Like in Hollywood you're supposed to officially take these things back, it's part of the process.

The thread spoke for itself. If Duke4 was dead, why is there more than 100 replies? I don't think me publicly taking my comment back is going to do anything. And yes, Duke Nukem is a dying name and I stand by that. With so many games shadowing it, it's almost dead. It's a zombie, like some members have put it. If it makes you feel any better, Duke4 is not dead, but Duke Nukem is very slowly dying off. Unless Gearbox gets the right company to make a brilliant Duke Nukem game that will blow all other FPS games out of the water, then I don't see any hope for it. Besides, players today aren't interested in arena style shooters anymore. Only the people who appreciate the older games enjoy them and that's why I'm scared for Doom 4. Since this isn't Hollywood, I see no need to compare it because Duke4 and Hollywood are two TOTALLY different things, but if it pleases you, I take back the "Duke4 is dead" insult but Duke Nukem is slowly dying. That's my PoV, accept it or keep walking.

I humbly disagree that Duke is "dying", especially in the context of entertainment. If everything that doesn't have a new hot sequel right now is dying, well... that doesn't make sense to me. Plenty of people currently play Duke games and talk about them, and there will be more in the future.

I guess "slowly dying" is putting it more politely, but even then it still doesn't make sense. Maybe less people will be playing Duke 3D in 30 years? Will Mario be offically dead as well by that time? :D Anyways.... always bet on Duke.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 26 August 2015 - 05:47 PM

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 26 August 2015 - 05:45 PM, said:

I humbly disagree that Duke is "dying", especially in the context of entertainment. If everything that doesn't have a new hot sequel right now is dying, well... that doesn't make sense to me. Plenty of people currently play Duke games and talk about them, and there will be more in the future.

I guess "slowly dying" is putting it more politely, but even then it still doesn't make sense. Maybe less people will be playing Duke 3D in 30 years? Will Mario be offically dead as well by that time? :D Anyways.... always bet on Duke.

Mario won't die because Nintendo won't let him. They keep pumping out games almost 2 or more a year and Duke hasn't had a good game since the PS1 era (If I do recall). Duke still lives but like I said before, he is a zombie. Maybe one day they will make a good Duke game but I think Duke only has one more chance to prove himself. If Gearbox can't get this next game right, all hope for Duke is lost. That's the way I feel. You have a right to disagree but the facts are all lined up here. Duke's a zombie waiting for the cure. Let's hope Gearbox can supply it in time.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

It's a 20 year old game, you're lucky to have a forum even half as active as this.

Compared to all the other build games, Duke3d is a teenager still full of piss and vinegar.

I'm a Shadow Warrior guy, I know what a desolate fanbase looks like.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Posted Image

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

This was kind of cool though but its tough adjusting to 120 on dnf when you already got the tactics down :D I don't think you should apologize it wouldn't change anything you are right. But I agree with Strikers last post to banging head on wood. Also, this thread had nothing to do with your responses probably should of put them in duke4 is dead thing no harm meant.

Listen if you keep saying that duke is dying out then maybe you should not come back on forums man i mean come on duke 4 if active as hell and the people on here are nice if you don't say stupid shit about duke if you think duke is dying thats sad because people are buying duke 3d still duke wont die off!

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

This looks pretty cool that way. I wish more modding was possible.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options