Duke4.net Forums: Haunted Nukem - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Haunted Nukem  "Boo"

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Completed (finally). Had much fun. Well done, guys.

User is offline   MetHy 

Just played this and I enjoyed it a lot. It was eerie in a hellish kind of way.

The last two maps were the bests.
The Blood weapons were kinda cool although not well balanced. There was so much shotgun ammo everywhere I had absolutely NO reason to use the primary fire, meaning I could kill almost anything in just one hit. The tommygun too was OP as it could headshot a Liztroop with a couple or even a single bullet!
Kind of a shame the pistol doesn't have an alt-fire but then again it would have made the player even more OP.

I thought the whole thing lacked wallshading, which is a shame because it was the only thing missing to make it look truely good.
Also in level 3 (I think, 2 or 3) I didn't have enough explosives for every crack. I remember this being an issue in one of your earlier map, too. I didn't figure out how to pick up that RPG hidden behind that forcefield though.

You should have mentionned in the .txt this can't be played in 8bit.

Anyway - good job!

This post has been edited by MetHy: 07 November 2015 - 12:53 AM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Glad you played and had fun guys was fun throwing together though :) As for the maps I agree that they are underachieved a bit for me I knew I was short on time however I think the gameplay makes up for it and they were halfway there. But I do feel off because it is my first releases this year :s but I think I have something else that shows more to what I normally would do also.

Damn I actually wrote that down in my head to (made for 32bit lol didn't remember to make it in) it will make it in for update and I chose that route because its easier to map fast for that, I actually like 8bit better. The weapons yeah since they were true to blood they were a bit over powered. And lol I did the shotgun shells everywhere I didn't want you to run out of them I did try to make less tommy gun and rpg ammo though. This should mostly be the shotgun and pistol episode mainly imagine if I made it more like Blood and set an 80 shells ammo limit lol. Pretty much my tribute to Blood though :)

Thanks for playing

Getting RPG
Spoiler

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 09 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Just played this today.

I'm really impressed with the level design and atmosphere of the mod. The progression was quite nice; the first map was quite enjoyable. The next two maps were also good, however the simple keycard progression started to feel a bit samey. Luckily the fourth map was much more open which by contrast to the previous maps introduced a nice variety, and of course the final boss map was a great finish. There were some really nice details, and the fourth map in particular felt like it could have been something out of WGR2.

The headshot mechanic made the game feel a bit more skill based than Vanilla Duke which is a good thing. The colour scheme was also visually refreshing, with some excellent sound design to match (can't go wrong with a crying child, reminded me of the Dream trilogy in places). The mixup with the weapons was nice, with the Tommy Gun in particular feeling quite powerful. The only downside to the mod is that there was too much ammo about. It might have been more enjoyable if you'd have had to keep a closer eye on which weapons to use. As it stands i could have easily used just the shotgun the entire time.

Looking forward to new releases. You should work with more TCs like this, since IMO it allows you to realize your vision to its full potential as I'm sure you've found.

• Turok Nukem

Haunted Nukem v2 is available. Happy Halloween. Sorry I know some things will be messy in the log and stuff. But I don't have time for it, it works. Thanks to St1ll Wanted for major push.

http://www.moddb.com...aunted-nukem-v2

Kudos on the release! That is an awesome surprise.

Another nice entry that need to be updated in the next version of the addon compilation. :rolleyes:

Actually the current version may goes a little unnoticed for the most because it's the only one that start with "H" among the others.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 31 October 2017 - 06:48 AM

User is offline   FistMarine 

When I got some free time, I will be sure to replay the newest version of the mod. I've been thinking recently about replaying this mod anyway. :excl:

View PostFantinaikos, on 31 October 2017 - 06:43 AM, said:

Another nice entry that need to be updated in the next version of the addon compilation. :D

Actually the current version may goes a little unnoticed for the most because it's the only one that start with "H" among the others.

I've actually worked on a list of updates for the next version of the compilation and I will be posting it soon on the addon compilation topic.

Spoiler

• Turok Nukem

I just updated the mod to v2.1. I just simplified level 4 in episode 2, there was one area that was pretty tough to pass. Maybe too tough so I made it easier.

Here some pics :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, thanks. Yes feel free to do whatever with it no permissions needed. Enjoy.

This post has been edited by Sixty Four: 31 October 2017 - 12:33 PM

User is offline   Mark 

It's hard to believe I missed the first one. Oh well. Now I get to check out 2 new releases. :rolleyes:

User is offline   darkcaleb 

Hey great release enjoyed it! O yeah is there a reason for the doom64 assets?

• Turok Nukem

View Postdarkcaleb, on 31 October 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

Hey great release enjoyed it! O yeah is there a reason for the doom64 assets?

Well I planned a lot more for this mod but it didn't go through. Episode 1 used blood textures and had the two blood weapons. So I added Doom 64 textures into ep 2, the plan was to also add Doom 64 monsters. That way the mod would have Blood textures, Blood weapons, Doom 64 textures, and Doom 64 Monsters/pickups. Which is still a thing. But its just time/motivation. I actually got the 'Nightmare Imp' finished with all animations and the Baron of Hell halfway added. This will be a future update that will cover fixes to existing code, clean up of files/maps/defs/cons, additional monsters, and an episode 3. It won't be for a good while, doing this myself.

Old screens: (This was just an old test so ignore the weapons)

Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Sixty Four: 02 November 2017 - 06:48 AM

User is offline   Merlijn 

I somehow missed the first release, so now was a good change to play both episodes in 1 go. :rolleyes:

Great job! The eerie atmosphere is well done. I think I recognized some of the creepy sounds from Doom 3 (the weird crying and some others).
Which is good, that game had great sound design. The gameplay is a lot of fun, trying to get as many headshots as possible while blazing through hordes of aliens.
As others have noted there's a bit too much ammo, my shotgun was at maximum capacity most of the time.

Of the first episode, I liked map 1 and map 4 the most.

The second episode seems even more hellish, with some very abstract and creepy imagery.
Coupled with the creepy sounds it made for an immersive experience. Really felt like you were slowly descending into hell.
I liked all the maps, level 3 might be my favorite.

User is offline   Polunka 

Ain't sure whether it's ever been reported or not but there's a problem with the new gibbing system regarding LizTroops. If you happen to shoot off either a leg or an arm of one of them, the death animation will not play properly in that the game will spawn the respective limb instead of the last frame of the original death sequence (well, the corpse, to put it more clearly). As you may've imagined, all we get is just 2 limbs instead of the corpse and the single severed limb.

I remember encountering this glitch (or is it?) in the first version already. Now that I've started blasting through the second episode, the thing has come to remind of itself once again.

P.S.: Might be the case as well that it's only me who's ever encountered this problem.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 07 November 2017 - 03:37 AM

• Turok Nukem

View PostPolunka, on 07 November 2017 - 03:20 AM, said:

Ain't sure whether it's ever been reported or not but there's a problem with the new gibbing system regarding LizTroops. If you happen to shoot off either a leg or an arm of one of them, the death animation will not play properly in that the game will spawn the respective limb instead of the last frame of the original death sequence (well, the corpse, to put it more clearly). As you may've imagined, all we get is just 2 limbs instead of the corpse and the single severed limb.

I remember encountering this glitch (or is it?) in the first version already. Now that I've started blasting through the second episode, the thing has come to remind of itself once again.

P.S.: Might be the case as well that it's only me who's ever encountered this problem.

You're not incorrect this does happen, I do know about that though. There is some other minor tweaks needed as well for it. It should be an easy fix just a matter of going to do it I suppose. This is something that will be attended to in an update some time, thanks though for a reminder its been awhile :rolleyes:

• Turok Nukem

Obviously they're not done but cool enough to show something Doom 64 Nightmare Imp in DN3D partially complete setting up for Haunted :D Don't take this as a final result though.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options