Duke4.net Forums: DNF Museum: huge update - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF Museum: huge update

Remember the DNF site I started last year, the DNF Museum? This one: http://duke4ever.altervista.org/
I had some spare time, so I made a HUGE update. During the years, I archived lots of DNF concept art published by various developers, and now I gathered all of it and uploaded it to my site sorted by year. I've also added a complete DNF development timeline to the index page.
If someone is visiting it now for the first time, the Screenshots and Videos sections are also online, and contain all screenshots and videos that were ever released during the years. Maybe you'll find something you've never seen, and you'll be surprised to discover how much the game changed during the various attempts to develop it.

The next update, which I plan to execute "soon", will be the Text Docs section.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 29 June 2015 - 03:21 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Nice job! I might of missed it, but I didn't see Joe Wampole's stuff. http://www.duke4.net....php?extend.557

Edit: I did miss it! Sorry about that Altered Reality!

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 29 June 2015 - 03:32 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

This is really fucking awesome, great job!
Looking through the old screenshots again just reminds me how much of a damn shame this all turned out. Both the 98 and the 2001 (and 2003 in association) were perfect Duke-looking games for their time that oozed more charisma than the final product did.

User is offline   Mack 

Great job!

This post has been edited by Mack: 29 June 2015 - 09:12 PM

View PostHulkNukem, on 29 June 2015 - 05:05 PM, said:

Looking through the old screenshots again just reminds me how much of a damn shame this all turned out. Both the 98 and the 2001 (and 2003 in association) were perfect Duke-looking games for their time that oozed more charisma than the final product did.

As I always say, you must be careful not to let your nostalgia fill the gaps of what you see. For what we know, what those screenshots and videos show might be the only things that were done at the time.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Awesome and amazing job!! However, a few possible corrections:

This image is displayed in the concept art 2011 section. It may have been released that year, but it's clearly not from a contemporary build. In fact, I could've sworn it was a non-official render done by a fan, but I could very well be wrong.

Posted Image

These images are currently to be found in the 2009 concept art section. Are you sure these aren't fan art?? I'm almost positive they were originally posted on the 3DR forums by someone not associated with the DNF development team. I'm fairly sure it was created by someone who did a lot of other drawings and photoshops relating to the Duke universe. I can't quite remember his name, but I think it could've started with the letter M(but I don't think it was Micki)? Marty perhaps??

Posted Image
Posted Image

Again, my memory may not be serving me correctly so if someone else can pipe up and confirm what the real deal is, I'd be quite thankful. That is unless you, Altered Reality, have your own sources - which in that case I'll happily eat my own words for breakfast. :)

But like I also said, great work...having far more fun browsing through your museum database than I would playing the actual game. :D

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

The alien trooper is actually from a much earlier build.

The two images of Duke on the rooftops are part of the Duke Nukem Trilogy artwork.

View PostDuke Rocks, on 30 June 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

This image is displayed in the concept art 2011 section. It may have been released that year, but it's clearly not from a contemporary build. In fact, I could've sworn it was a non-official render done by a fan, but I could very well be wrong.

That liztroop picture appears in the Balls Of Steel Limited Edition guide (page 327), so it's official. There isn't a creation date anywhere, but it was released in 2011, so I placed it in the 2011 section because it's the only date I have.

View PostDuke Rocks, on 30 June 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

These images are currently to be found in the 2009 concept art section. Are you sure these aren't fan art??

I found those in a German site that identifies them as "added in July 2009".
Anyway, I googled them again: the first one appears in two German sites, together with other DNF concept art; the second one appears in a PC Games Hardware article about vaporware in 2009, mentioning duke4.net as the source. I haven't found any information about the actual author, though.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 01 July 2015 - 03:17 AM, said:

The alien trooper is actually from a much earlier build.

Yeah, shame there's no information about who made it and when.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 01 July 2015 - 03:17 AM, said:

The two images of Duke on the rooftops are part of the Duke Nukem Trilogy artwork.

Then I'm gonna remove them.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 01 July 2015 - 04:32 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Here's all the DNF stuff I've collected over the years. You've probably got all this stuff already, but it'd be worth checking out I reckon.

This post has been edited by Black Shuck: 01 July 2015 - 09:48 AM

View PostBlack Shuck, on 01 July 2015 - 09:47 AM, said:

Here's all the DNF stuff I've collected over the years. You've probably got all this stuff already, but it'd be worth checking out I reckon.

Yup, I have all you have, and more. It will all be online... Posted Image

P. S.
Yes, I also have the renders and sketches where you see boobs. I'm just deliberately not putting them online, so my site won't get erased.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 01 July 2015 - 12:58 PM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostAltered Reality, on 01 July 2015 - 12:44 PM, said:

P. S.
Yes, I also have the renders and sketches where you see boobs. I'm just deliberately not putting them online, so my site won't get erased.

Wait, what? Who moderates the altervista hosting site - an elementary school? :)

Seriously, though...couldn't you have chosen a different web service if you're going to be sharing media of one of the most adult-oriented games ever? :D

I know that many hosts are waging a war agains pictures of nipples, so I'd rather err on the side of caution.
Anyway, I just added one more video (a live demo of DNF at the Firstlook gaming convention in Amsterdam in 2010). You'll notice that some artwork still differs from the final game.

Altered Reality, this site is AWESOME! Thanks for putting the work you have done so far. I was particularly floored by the Concept Art section of the site. I never saw those screenshots before when 3D Realms considering doing DNF for Build with Voxels or the original Quake engine. It gets my imagination going at the thought of those alternative versions of DNF being developed by fans.

I only hope that the content I've seen on your site will make it in subsequent releases of the DNF mod for Eduke. I look forward to seeing more DNF historical content in the future.

I do remember an old DNF fan site which claimed that Bombshell, despite joining forces with Duke, is the only woman who isn't attracted to him, and he likewise assumes she's a lesbian because of that. I can't remember the name of the site, but I remember that tidbit to this day, and kept hoping for a story where Duke constantly flirts with Bombshell, and ends up not hitting it off with her at all. That one of the reasons I was disappointed by her character being cut out of the game.

On another subject, have you thought of including your Unreal proof of concept test levels in the museum?

View PostFlying Techbot, on 05 July 2015 - 06:37 PM, said:

Altered Reality, this site is AWESOME! Thanks for putting the work you have done so far. I was particularly floored by the Concept Art section of the site. I never saw those screenshots before when 3D Realms considering doing DNF for Build with Voxels or the original Quake engine. It gets my imagination going at the thought of those alternative versions of DNF being developed by fans.

Thank you.

I do remember an old DNF fan site which claimed that Bombshell, despite joining forces with Duke, is the only woman who isn't attracted to him, and he likewise assumes she's a lesbian because of that. I can't remember the name of the site, but I remember that tidbit to this day, and kept hoping for a story where Duke constantly flirts with Bombshell, and ends up not hitting it off with her at all. That one of the reasons I was disappointed by her character being cut out of the game.

I remember that too. Yesterday I was gathering old interviews that I will put in the museum, and I found some peculiar statements about her by George and Scott that made me hypothesize who she was supposed to be. I asked a question about that to Frederik Schreiber here, but I haven't received an answer yet.

On another subject, have you thought of including your Unreal proof of concept test levels in the museum?

I won't do that, because they are not made by 3DRealms, Triptych nor Gearbox: they are just unofficial interpretations of what might have been made. You can still find them here, though.
If 3DRealms, Triptych or Gearbox released old Quake2 or Unreal levels they made for previous iterations of DNF, that's something I would add to the museum.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 06 July 2015 - 03:50 AM

The Text Docs section is online! There's a SHITLOAD of information there! Development documents, interviews, plan updates, press releases, lawsuit documents and even cheat codes to use with the demo! If you read the interviews, you'll discover a whole story of hubris, lies, incompetence and misplaced confidence!
The URL for the page is http://duke4ever.alt...g/textdocs.html

The audio section is online too! It features various versions of Grabbag released by 3DRealms or Gearbox, behind the scenes clips of recording sessions and various radio commecials Jon St. John did as Duke.
http://duke4ever.alt....org/audio.html

You don't happen to have George Broussard's 1UP interview do you? There was an audio file for it.

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 14 July 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

You don't happen to have George Broussard's 1UP interview do you? There was an audio file for it.

I had almost forgotten about that interview, despite having it archived in my Prey historical archive. For the most part it's about Prey, so I'll just copy the part where George talks about DNF and add it to the Text Docs page.

EDIT: done.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 15 July 2015 - 03:23 AM

Cool! There's a few nuggets from the early days in Planet Duke's FAQ.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

I just want to come in and say, Thumbs Up on this awesome project.

The audio section now also got the thing which i was wondering if it gets, a higher definition version of Gigadeth's Grabbag. I dunno where the hell you got it but i'm just really grateful you shared it with all of us. I'd like to wish you all the best and i'm gonna just say, have a good morning (based on my time) :)

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 15 July 2015 - 07:10 PM

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 15 July 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

Cool! There's a few nuggets from the early days in Planet Duke's FAQ.

Right, I forgot about that document because it was outdated. Still, it was useful from a historical perspective, so I added snippets from that and more.
By the way, I chuckled when I found a 1999 interview where George said the jetpack would be limited to multiplayer, thinking about those individuals who complained about the lack of a jetpack in singleplayer.

EDIT: and one more update (I can't believe I missed that...): the three press releases announcing DNF going gold, the first DLC (Hail To The Icons Parody Pack) and the second DLC (The Doctor Who Cloned Me).

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 17 July 2015 - 03:04 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Just a note. I was looking through the concept art and on the 1999 page. Several of the thumbs on the second row default to the same buggos10.jpg.

It's a brilliant creation your site, Thank you.

View PostTea Monster, on 03 August 2015 - 07:46 AM, said:

Just a note. I was looking through the concept art and on the 1999 page. Several of the thumbs on the second row default to the same buggos10.jpg.

It's a brilliant creation your site, Thank you.

Thank you for letting me know. It's fixed now.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options