Duke4.net Forums: Gunload - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gunload  "My first foray into game development"

User is offline   MrFlibble 

All that art is pretty awesome, keep up the excellent work! :P

User is offline   stumppy84 

Yeah, looks awesome! Can't wait to see more!

You may find this useful

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Looks awesome. Overpaint is still needed for better look. Posted Image

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostTheZombieKiller, on 07 August 2016 - 08:39 AM, said:

Yeah, there's several similar tutorials on the best way to do it; I'm waiting to finalize all the models first before I start down that path :P

Still learning the ins and outs of Doombuilder:
Posted Image
(Vazovski helped with some of the textures)

That's some pretty awesome room, I love the visual style :P

My other project is just about done, so I'm starting back up on this
I've got another enemy created. Right now its just the one style, but I want to make new variants (with and without a tanktop, different skin color, and different melee weapons like a crowbar)
Posted Image
Just noticed the texture unalignment on the upper drawers :X

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 19 December 2016 - 02:57 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Wait... Is Gunload going to be a Doom WAD now?

User is offline   Cage 

You're using ZDoom/GZDoom, right? If you're going for a more build-styled environments/level of detail, you might consider giving the player/viewport a taller height - I think it looks a bit silly when furniture that gives the impression it should be half your height, looks as tall or taller than your player character. It's like a being a kid in the kitchen :lol:

Looks pretty nice otherwise, though!

View PostHulkNukem, on 19 December 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

(new screenshot)

That's quite awesome! :lol:

Do you plan to have higher resolution sprites for the player's weapons though?

View PostCommando Nukem, on 19 December 2016 - 11:44 PM, said:

Wait... Is Gunload going to be a Doom WAD now?

Levels created in Doombuilder imported to Unity through some custom scripting. Once it's all complete I plan to release the tool to the Asset Store for free (lighting, objects, and stuff like doors likely won't be imported, but I think it could still be useful to a handful of people)

View PostMrFlibble, on 26 December 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

That's quite awesome! :lol:

Do you plan to have higher resolution sprites for the player's weapons though?

They will be yes.

With all this Ion Maiden excitement I wanted to put an update on this project.
It's coming along smoothly :)
Posted Image

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Loving the SMG's.

User is offline   necroslut 

Looks really lovely. Sega Genesis-inspired palette and art style? The SMG's are indeed great, and love the enemies too.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View Postnecroslut, on 02 March 2018 - 03:01 AM, said:

Looks really lovely. Sega Genesis-inspired palette and art style? The SMG's are indeed great, and love the enemies too.

Yep. I'm getting Duke64 flashbacks from those but at the sametime visually they resemble Sega art style which is pretty cool idea.

Made a robot sentry. They patrol around the levels on set paths until they find you. If you get out of their range for enough time, they will resume their patrol.

Posted Image

If you kill them with the weaker firearms, their upper half will try to crawl towards you and beat you down.
Gibbing them will obliterate them outright.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Not captured, but there are also computer consoles that if you activate them, the sentries will actually turn friendly and start seeking out enemies for you!

User is offline   ---- 

View PostHulkNukem, on 28 July 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

Not captured, but there are also computer consoles that if you activate them, the sentries will actually turn friendly and start seeking out enemies for you!

Now, that's great.

Reminds me of Marathon and wondered why no other game back in those days had stuff like that and other friendly NPCs.

Graphics look amazing too.

Looks fantastic. :(

View Postfuegerstef, on 29 July 2018 - 12:10 AM, said:

Now, that's great.

Reminds me of Marathon and wondered why no other game back in those days had stuff like that and other friendly NPCs.

Eradicator has consoles in some levels that allow you to remote-control enemy robots and use them to your advantage (and sometimes this is required to progress further through a level), although I don't remember if anywhere in the game you can actually turn a robot to your side and keep it like that autonomously once you leave the console.

Not sure if the Guide-Bot from Descent II counts as a friendly NPC, but informants from Blake Stone certainly do! There's also Strife but you might want to think of it more like an RPG I guess :(

Worked on the Inmate.
They will use their baseball bat to swing at you when up close or sometimes throw it at you. If they've thrown it they will resort to using their fists and throwing baseballs at you (which can be reflected back at them).
They can also go and pick up their thrown bat and start using it again. You also can throw your own bat and pick up theirs if you lost yours (they can also pick yours up though so be careful where you leave it...)
Posted Image

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

First time seeing this.

Am hype.

I genuinely wish you the best of luck with this project. Another shooter in the vein of Dusk, Ion Maiden, and Amid Evil is welcome (though it would appear this predates at least some of those, so that's neat). More proof that this resurgence ain't just some nostalgic throwback.

View PostNinety-Six, on 05 January 2019 - 05:52 PM, said:

First time seeing this.

Am hype.

I genuinely wish you the best of luck with this project. Another shooter in the vein of Dusk, Ion Maiden, and Amid Evil is welcome (though it would appear this predates at least some of those, so that's neat). More proof that this resurgence ain't just some nostalgic throwback.

I actually asked for permission from either Hendricks, Terminx, or both about wanting to post a texture artist hiring thread literally a day before they announced they were hiring for what would become Ion Maiden. It predates even Strafe's original announcement :)
Although where Voidpoint is almost done with Ion Maiden, I'm a damn turtle and am only finishing up the first episode. :(

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 05 January 2019 - 06:35 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

This is looking really cool.

View PostHulkNukem, on 05 January 2019 - 06:14 PM, said:

I actually asked for permission from either Hendricks, Terminx, or both about wanting to post a texture artist hiring thread literally a day before they announced they were hiring for what would become Ion Maiden. It predates even Strafe's original announcement :)
Although where Voidpoint is almost done with Ion Maiden, I'm a damn turtle and am only finishing up the first episode. :(

Is it going to be released in episodes or will you wait until you're done with the whole thing? 'Cause I'm really looking forward to playing this,

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostHulkNukem, on 05 January 2019 - 06:14 PM, said:

It's just you working on this or did you manage to get a texture artist? Looks awesome so far.

View Postnecroslut, on 06 January 2019 - 04:22 AM, said:

Is it going to be released in episodes or will you wait until you're done with the whole thing? 'Cause I'm really looking forward to playing this,

Episodically, and I'm aiming for an April release for the first episode. First one will also be completely free along with an optional "tip" that I'm thinking will have some goodies like the soundtrack and an exclusive shooting range style level where you can spawn in any enemy and weapon and mess around.
Not entirely certain what I'll be doing for the other episodes. If there's enough interest and money earned then I can hire additional help, otherwise it's going to keep going at a slow pace.

View Postthricecursed, on 06 January 2019 - 09:05 AM, said:

It's just you working on this or did you manage to get a texture artist? Looks awesome so far.

Couple guys helped with art along with myself, and I'm doing all the level design and coding.

User is offline   NNC 

Wait a minute... Will we have a rival to Ion Maiden? That would be too good to be true.

I would love to do for GZDoom what Ion Maiden is doing with Build. That is a pretty tall order, however, and I'd be happy with even 1/4 the success Voidpoint has had so far.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever see this project through due to a number of circumstances.

I am playing with the idea of releasing all the art as is, however, in hopes they'll be used in custom wads/mods/whatever in the future.

Samples of some of the characters, some of which were 100% complete with rotations while some were still very WIP

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Don't give up, man. You had a really nice art style going there. Let's say it's a creative break rather. But well, maybe someone else will feel compelled to finish this since it'd be a pity to waste all this amazing effort. Hope dies last.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 March 2020 - 10:20 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options