Duke4.net Forums: Decent HD screen for graphics - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Decent HD screen for graphics

User is offline   Cage 

Hey, I want to buy a decent HD flat screen this next month - the main focus is graphic design and digital painting, so I'm looking for best color and contrast for the price.

Requirements:
  • ~200€, max 300€ budget - latter if I can really get something good, if not I'd stay in the 200-250€ area
  • IPS panel
  • HD / 1920x1080 resolution
  • 21"-24"
  • Best contrast and color coverage for the price
  • Hdmi connection
  • Ability to rotate 90 degress might be needed in the future.
  • Decent reaction time is a plus

So yeah, I'm not a technical guy - I'm looking for best contrast and color for the price and from what I've seen, IPS panels work best for this purpose. Everything else is pretty much a mystery to me - the contrast values don't really mean anything to me. I don't do anything super-high spec at this time and mostly for digital media, so I don't think I need Adobe RGB coverage (Not sure if I can get it at this price), but being close to 100% sRGB would be great.

I only have one pick at the time which is this:
http://www.dell.com/.../dell-u2414h/pd

All designers have this or similar Dell screens at the office where I work and the image looks pretty good IMO, so I've decided that this one is a "safe pick". The USB hub is a nice bonus of the screen but it's not mandatory. I'm open for suggestions though.

Thanks!

EDIT - Few more ideas:
http://www.necdispla...ors/ea234wmi-bk
http://www.iiyama.co...e-xub2390hs-b1/
http://www.eizo-apac...exscan/ev2335w/

This post has been edited by Cage: 12 March 2015 - 06:39 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Not that I know much about screens, but I would say if your going to be dealing in graphics and need good colours especially seeing black/dark colour then maybe a plasma over a LCD.

But I'm sure Viper will come in and give his 2 cents worth.

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

I suggest the AOC i2367Fh and the AOC I2473PWM, they don't rotate, (they tilt)
and they match your main dell monitors specs, while costing $140 and $200 respectively.
(don't know their price point in euros, conversions don't usually help)
Here are the links to the developer website:
23" - i2367Fh
23" - I2473PWM
and to the amazon storefront:
AOC i2367Fh
AOC i2473PWM
Both of these monitors have received PC mags editor choice award, here are the reviews:
AOC i2367fh
AOC i2473PWM
The I2473PWM is a better choice sporting better speakers and less of a bezel...
The Nec should be good, they make good monitors,
(Couldn't find the flex-scans price point, but if it's cheap it should be a good buy)
(same with the iiyama, the companies seem to be non integrated into the U.S.)
Basically the Aocs should be cheaper then every single one of these,
and if one of those that you posted (as they're all good brands) is cheaper, get that one.
There's no reason to spend more.
(other then for spinning your monitor around in this case)

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 13 March 2015 - 09:10 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

I like my HP ZR24w (16:10 IPS panel) but that doesn't exist anymore. Might be able to find it used. But you said 16:9. Bleh, I can't stand that ratio for desktop monitors.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I'm a huge fan of IPS, like I said before. Once you go IPS, you never want to go back. TN panels are for plebs. They make 144Hz IPS, but I'd sooner have my 60Hz IPS panel over a 120Hz TN panel. The colors are TO DIE FOR with IPS panels. They're so vibrant and lifelike. TN displays usually handle between 18-22 bit color and can't compare, they have to resort to dithering or substitution.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I agree with the IPS screens, if your want to do graphic design and digital painting its the only way to go, but I'm not sure what is the best brand. I personally would go look around for one first hand and buy the one you think has the best picture.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 17 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

User is offline   Cage 

View PostPerson of Color, on 16 March 2015 - 04:07 PM, said:

Once you go IPS, you never want to go back.

I know, that's why I want an IPS panel. :)

Thanks for the input, since I wanted to order it ASAP, I decided to stick with the Dell since I have them at work and they work well.

Cheers!

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Dell makes great monitors. I've never used one I didn't like.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options