Duke4.net Forums: Headphones - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Headphones  "seem to be all the rage right now, thoughts?"

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

So, I've been eye balling some new headphones, all I ever used headphones for was during yardwork or other similar activities so I used cheaper in ear buds.

The gf and I ended up getting a few pairs tonight, I ended up getting some JBL J88 over ears for $79(+13% tax) and put $50 towards the gf to get some beats solo HD (blk) on ears for $139(+tax)

Hers sound alittle more bassy when listening to a smartphone or ipod whatever and fit well, also more compact.

The JBLs seem to fit a bit loose but are pretty comfy, the bass and sound perks up if you throw more power at the 50mm drivers. ( Laptop, winamp rock preset w pre-amp @8.) .. explosions sound cool in games and such as well. The cable is flat and very soft and flexible with plugs at either end, stainless steel band + plastic, very flexible headset.
I didn't really want beats for whatever reasons but if I did get a pair it would have been the studios and I'm flat-out not paying that much for a pair of dang headphones.

I've tried out a pair of bose quiet comfort 3 headphones aswell and they sounded very nice also.

Anyway I've just dived into the headphone world and hopefully I use them more than 10 times but wondered what other's thoughts are on the subject?
Get a new pair? What you got and how do you like them, how to do they compare?

This post has been edited by Robman: 28 December 2014 - 10:26 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

hmmm either nobody has anything to say regarding headphones or I'm being punished for my facebook thread ... likely the latter.

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

Posted Image
The Sennheiser Orpheus is absolutely horrible, never buy it.
It's freakin' $30,000 bucks.

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 14 February 2015 - 06:17 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Holy shit that is some next level hipster crap.

"I'M SO INTROVERTED I NEED TUBE AMPS FOR MY HEADPHONES. INTP MASTER RACE."

Take it from someone who has REPEATED, FREQUENT experience with tube amps, THAT THING IS A PILE OF FUCKING DOG SHIT.

It actually pisses me off that thing exists. At least your $10,000 Thiel speakers and $250 Valhalla power cables can be heard by multiple people.

Hitler targeted the wrong group. Even Jews aren't this self centered.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 20 February 2015 - 06:36 PM

User is offline   X-Vector 

Sennheiser Orpheus, now that's a blast from the past; I remember reading about that system when I still followed the high-end audio industry back in the nineties, although I don't believe I ever got the chance to give it a listen myself.

As for my hands-on experiences with headphones, I've owned Sennheiser models exclusively, gradually moving up to the HD 600 that's still in working condition.
I also have a Musical Fidelity X-Cans v2 headphone amp to power them, but I must admit that I do most of my listening through my PC these days (which is why I recently bought a pair of high quality desktop speakers).
Generally speaking, Sennheiser is a brand to look towards if you're interested in a relatively neutral and balanced sound rather than sonic pyrotechnics.
It's a serious company with chops in both the consumer and professional audio brackets, while the commercial success of Bose and especially Beats by Dre is mostly based on aggressive marketing (try an internet search on the word "beats" and see what you get).

BTW, Head-Fi is the place to go if you're interested in end-user experience with (almost) all things headphone, here's the product page of the J88.

User is offline   Gambini 

View PostRobman, on 29 December 2014 - 08:57 PM, said:

hmmm either nobody has anything to say regarding headphones or I'm being punished for my facebook thread ... likely the latter.

I was looking at a set of headphones too sometime ago and my father came and said "don´t waste money i have a set". He brought me this:

(just random illustrative pictures from the web)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I didn´t have big spectations for them, record players had a phono sound systems, which has a huge output power difference. I replaced the plug for a small one and tested them, but they had noise in the potentiometers and after running this headphones test: http://www.audiochec..._headphones.php I noticed there were quite a bit of missing frequencies. I disassembled them and cleaned the potentiometers which, luckily, not only fixed the noise but also brought all the 20hz-20khz band back to my ears. Their acoustic isolation is great though not very suitable for hot days, and listening to FLAC music with them is awesome. They lack a bit of power in the bass for what I´m used to and they´re so sensitive that when I´m not playing any sound i can hear all the micro interferences with the mouse and hd. I will look for a noise filter maybe.

Well, not sure if this was what you was looking for, you can get a set at eBay :) The model is Hosiden DS-16-S.

User is offline   Mark 

I am still using the Pioneer SE-305 headphones I bought back in the 70's. I have never used earbuds said the old man. :)

Before these I had a real cheap Radio Shack pair similar to the ones in Gambini's pic.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: headphones.png

This post has been edited by Mark.: 05 March 2015 - 08:03 PM

Pioneer's vintage stuff is fantastic.

User is offline   Gambini 

You mean my set is cheap? I thought it looked of high quality stuff. Although when I unmounted them, i didnt like the plastic resonance box without proper cushion between each "case". It´s obvious that those vibrations will interfere with the speaker´s cone movement, so i sealed them with a sillycon seal.

BTW toying around with my headphones I noticed two very peculiar things. I googled for one (mouse movement interference with headphones sound). You basically hear a short buzz for each output the mouse does. It´s at least interesting to reverse-engine the system to imagine how it works. When the mouse is moving around you hear continous and timed buzzs, like 30 per second and when you stop moving, it goes idle for about ten seconds (with noticeably more distant buzzs) and then the interference stops until you move it again (i guess it´s to save process consumption). And the other problem doesn´t seem to ring any bell to Google: Everytime i go to the improvements tab on my realtek´s menu options, when i click on accept changes (there´s no apply button) the program/driver/whatever fires a random command on my computer. I get screen errors like "can´t send file to "sendto"" (i know what it means) or my explorer window stops, or youtube jumps to the next song on the list. I know realtek is quite lowprofile shit so shitty setup programs ought to be expected. But hell...

This post has been edited by Gambini: 13 March 2015 - 10:37 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options