Duke4.net Forums: Lightguns for PC - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lightguns for PC

User is offline   MetHy 

Has anyone got experience with Lightguns for PC?

If so what would you recommend?

I'm thinking of getting a lightgun that's compatible both with lightgun games and regular FPS games. I heard both the XFPS Storm Light Gun and the MAG II Gun Controller do that, though honestly since the placement of the joystick seems weird on the MAG II), the XFPS Storm Light Gun seems to be better :

Posted Image

https://www.youtube....d&v=hrOSnQ3RiTw

Those things seem a bit expensive (80 US$) so I'd love to hear some feedback on that. My main goal is to play lightgun games on PC like the extended cut of House Of The Dead: Overkill as well as emulation arcade lightgun games on Mame, but would be nice to play regular FPS with it as well, even DN3D.
Also I'm wondering how things work (if at all) when you need to look all the way up or down in a regular FPS.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 08 December 2014 - 06:24 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I think DanM has some gun for his PC...
I'll alert him to this thread.

User is offline   Stabs 

that thing is kinda cool, it has special place in my heart.

1 . no drivers, plugs in see it as a keyboard and mouse that is always moving, no compatibility issues with anything then.

2. the side stick has a ignore button which disables the mouse, allowing you to recenter the gun, you will get really good at this.

3. sticks work great, feels natural, side buttons not so much bit stiff, but the sticks can click in, good for jump and open/use

4. aiming is kinda wonky/jumpy with the IR so probably not for Virtua cop 2, get an aimtrak if you want that, its really not too bad for fps games.

In VR the thing is pretty awesome, just turn of the mouse and use head aiming, you can move with the sticks and turn all while holding a gun, which kicks ass for DukeVR/HL2VR
I have finished a few blood eps on a lower difficulty to get an idea of how usable it is, and blood is not the most forgiving game.

This post has been edited by Stabs: 10 December 2014 - 02:10 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostStabs, on 10 December 2014 - 02:10 AM, said:

that thing is kinda cool, it has special place in my heart.

What thing? The XFPS Storm Light Gun ?
So you think aiming is too wonky for lightgun games (not sure what you mean by "with the IR") ?

Thx for the feedback

This post has been edited by MetHy: 10 December 2014 - 06:10 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

yeah the xfps one its IR is too shaky for Virtua cop 2 type games, get an aimtrak if you want that stuff but its a very limited experience in terms of games, also aimtrak needs proper support and takes drivers so setup can be tricky especially seeing as the emulators that run alot of popular good 90's sega gun games are buggy as fuck and rarely updated, also you may face compatibility and res/scaling issues with older pc ports of HOTD.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

LOL NICE, I came in this thread to mention Virtua Cop 2!

User is offline   MetHy 

I got 100 bucks for christmas and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the XFPS Storm Light Gun :) . I'll let you know guys! This is going to kickass for DN3D, other FPS, and the extended cut of House Of The Dead: Overkill.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 25 December 2014 - 04:47 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostStabs, on 10 December 2014 - 02:10 AM, said:

4. aiming is kinda wonky/jumpy with the IR so probably not for Virtua cop 2, get an aimtrak if you want that, its really not too bad for fps games.

Have you tested the Aimtrak yourself? Is it really better for lightgun games on PC? is the aiming that bad with the XCM XFPS?

If you say the aiming is kinda wonky i'm a little worried so i'm still unsure what to get; but the advantage of the XFPS Light Gun is that it works both for light gun games and regular FPS...

However the advantage of the aimtrak is that it's compatible both for PC and PS2, so I could play PS2 lightgun games as well... I've got that vampire game and also Resident Evil Dead Aim; but Dead Aim requires a d-pad as well so I'm not sure how compatible it would be with the aimtrak...

This post has been edited by MetHy: 26 December 2014 - 08:03 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

I have found out there is another option for lightgun games on PC.

Some people have built drivers to use the Gun Con 2 on PC. This is the cheapest option (a guncon 2 is around 20-30 bucks) and the advantage of the guncon 2 is that contrary to the aimtrak it has a d-pad, which would allow me to play games such as HOTD:O on PC and Resident Evil: Dead Aim on PS2 without having to use a gun + another controller device at the same time.

The problem is that a gun con 2 remains a gun con 2 and is only compatible with CRT; while the aimtrak is compatible with every kind of screen. And while I have a CRT PC screen somewhere I don't even own a CRT TV anymore;..

However I think it's possible to play PS1 light gun games on PS2 using a gun con 2, which would be nice as well for games like RE:Survivor which I've wanted to do with a gun forever. But maybe that's possible to achieve through emulation with either the XFPS and the Aimtrak as well.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 28 December 2014 - 01:59 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

After tons of researchs and wondering and comparison; i'm getting this Aimtrak

Posted Image

120€ with shipping.... But this should rock, works for PS2 and PC, with any screen too.

I gave up on the idea of playing regular FPS with a lightgun, I'd rather have a more precise gun that's compatible with a PS2 as well (I've been willing to do Resident Evil Dead Aim with a gun forever, love the game)

This post has been edited by MetHy: 30 December 2014 - 08:33 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

I've received the Aimtrak and played a few hours both on PC and PS2.

It took me a while to set it up properly (both calibration AND finding a good setup irl), both the thing is really good. It is a bit wobbly but very very little, which I think is common for all this type of things (I heard the Wii actually had that except they hid the shaking).

However unless I'm getting something wrong, I always have a hard time getting it to work on PS2, it's like I have to try 30 times before it works on a PS2 setup. There has to be something I'm not doing properly or something...

I've played House Of The Dead Overkill Extended Cut on PC which is a pleasure. I've also played Resident Evil Dead Aim on PS2, which isn't as good as I remembered and which is surprisingly harder using a gun than with a pad (remember, PS2 light gun games don't have crosshairs). i've also played a couple of levels of Vampire Night which seems to be REALLY good, perhaps even better than HOTD2 which it rips off blatantly, a nice surprise. Contrary to HOTD2 which I fair too hard and unfair at times, the difficulty seems spot on in Vampire Night.

User is offline   Lunick 

I'm glad you enjoyed House of the Dead Overkill. Kind of makes me want to go get a lightgun too :lol:

User is offline   MetHy 

I loved the game on Wii and I really wanted to play the Extended Cut, it is one of the main reasons why I got this lightgun.
So far, overall it seems that the extended cut is much better than the original, but it's very different in many aspects and I think a few things were better in the original.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options