• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Status of the Duke Nukem 3D Betas

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 27 November 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

It was never a question about not releasing it.
We were just discouraged by the constant harassment.
No worries. :)

how classy and mature, withholding half baked cut content from an IP of constant fuck arounds just to game some lame cred on a community that you really did nothing for except suck enough cock to gain access to some files.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostStabs, on 27 November 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

how classy and mature, withholding half baked cut content from an IP of constant fuck arounds just to game some lame cred on a community that you really did nothing for except suck enough cock to gain access to some files.

http://webmup.com/4rrto/

User is offline   Kathy 

Except insults, what exactly are you trying to accomplish here, Stabs?

User is offline   Stabs 

Hey he got $15 out of me for his half baked ROTT game that wasn't fun, giving him shit is fun and I feel worth my $15

btw

How to become a hero on Duke4

1 ) Make screenshot, gain D3D remake rights and throw in the towel citing legal BS but in truth the company in charge of the rights see's how amateurish and poorly run it is and would just damage the IP further

2) Finger another classic game by remaking ROTT using your sob stories about your last failure to fund another failure, if you couln't do ROTT right point 1 has been proven by proxy

3) In a last ditch release a bunch of cut content for an old game, yay for bad palettes, textures and poorly designed enemies.

4) ???????

5) Enjoy your sycophantic groupies

*most monotone voice ever * oh no my internet points, a number winding down sure is quite a honorably debatable defense

This post has been edited by Stabs: 27 November 2014 - 10:31 AM

User is offline   Ronin 

You think he is releasing this stuff just to gain credibility with this small community? Even if he is so what?
It's not like we alone are going to make him rich or his business successful, maybe he's doing it simply because he can and wants to because he is a fan too.
Whatever the motivations it hardly matters, a lot of people are getting a lot of stuff they thought they would never see.
I personally don't care about old builds and betas, though I do like seeing images and videos just to compare.
Don't forget it's all free and people are working with their own spare time to get this stuff out, so there's no need to be so negative about it.
Also you're kind of embarrassing yourself, stabs.

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

Let's not give Stabs anymore attention

This post has been edited by Grounder: 27 November 2014 - 12:05 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

But he needs a hug.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

More observations about the vid..

Had another look once I got home from work, "The gun" definitely turned in to plasma gun seen in LD, the pickup spots are identical between the versions of the same level.
Flying blobs turned in to those flying drones seen in LD, Although this one was pretty obvious.

The sign seen in the camera is the same car wash sign as seen in LD and the other sign about the power plant is missing.
Since the power plant was part of the story flow for that episode, it's very likely that they were still fleshing out a story arc.

Camera in LD has a few more areas that it shows around, including the underground subway area.
In LD the version that exists of this map has a non-functioning subway and about 3-4 different iterations of the car throughout the subway tunnel.

Pretty likely that they stopped working on this map around the time they started experimenting with subways.
M1.map (level shown in the vid) has locators in the train and absolutely no SE sprites anywhere. Possibly a remnant of old subway logic.
L5.map has the later subway design with SE sprites. I guess they wanted to add supplemental sectors such as light sectors to be chained to the main car so they had to redo how this was done.

I fucking knew Lameduke's E2 was an earlier take on the city level style. It makes so much sense.

This post has been edited by MYHOUSE.MAP: 27 November 2014 - 02:25 PM

User is offline   JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy 

• Steven Shitlord

if this beta has a price tag Im still buying it, nothing stopping me from getting it :)

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I still roll a theory that first half of EP2 and second half of EP1 used to be one.
That way the "City arc" would start with: L.A. River -> Hydro Power plant -> L.A. Industrial -> Subway towards Downtown -> Climax at the top of U.S. Bank tower

Might just as well link this again for reference
And the intermission screens for EP1 and EP2 Need to disable developer mode in order to get these between levels, what is interesting about this one is that there is some subtle crossfading between the space / L.A. sections, maybe it was meant to scroll ?

But in defense, "Mission cockroach" does imply some sort of an infiltration mission going on but these could just be misleading placeholders.
E2M5 does indeed look like a secret base and it even has some huge water tanks, hinting at a similar theme as L3 - hydro power plant.
And that intermission thing could have scrolled in the middle of an episode if needed.

But enough speculation from me, one thing is for sure, there are a lot of giveaways that first few levels of EP2 are some of the earliest ones out there :)
Presence of bats, overuse of "white concrete", You can see at least one map specific internal comment if you use /q when launching LD and the subway thing I mentioned already (EP1 has them all functioning)

Whatever is present in here will probably explain quite a few things about LD :woot:

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 27 November 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

Hopefully, I won't be frowned upon if I say that the theme in that beta video was going to be the Mass Destruction theme that I was allowed to hear a while back. I hope the whole theme is revealed or released because it gets better than what is heard there.

If you think that was good, you will jizz in your pants when you hear what we have for Duke on Android.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostStabs, on 27 November 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

What if I told you you were acting like a huge douchebag, that releasing this video was my idea, and that Evan recorded it at my request?

I'm completely through with people thinking it's okay to act like this here. Grow up or get out. It's becoming increasingly difficult to adhere to my ideals of avoiding censorship.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostHendricks266, on 27 November 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

If you think that was good, you will jizz in your pants when you hear what we have for Duke on Android.

Already did a little just thinking about it! :woot: Yeah, I'm a big fan of some of the music in various Duke Nukem games. I can say that I definitely spend more time listening to the music than I do actually playing the games sometimes.

Not to try to go off-topic, but I've been thinking about buying an Android laptop if the Duke3D port you guys are working on would support it. If I can avoid using touchscreen controls, I will. Not to say the touchscreen controls are bad in your port, I'd just prefer to use a keyboard and mouse if possible. I could probably test it for you if you were to be interested in making the port compatible for Android laptops. I'd have to see if I could still get my hands on one, though. They were selling them here at my local drugstore, but I haven't been there in a while.

If not, I have a cheap Huawei Android phone if you need someone/another person to test it. :)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postoasiz, on 27 November 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

I recall xduke (rancidmeat) implementing what was left of SOS in to duke3d. It's mainly the same thing as any other SOS implementation where you do the SOS with effector sprites and not something like TROR.

For the record you mixed up SOS and ROR. SOS was always possible.

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

View PostTerminX, on 27 November 2014 - 10:56 PM, said:

What if I told you you were acting like a huge douchebag, that releasing this video was my idea, and that Evan recorded it at my request?

I'm completely through with people thinking it's okay to act like this here. Grow up or get out. It's becoming increasingly difficult to adhere to my ideals of avoiding censorship.

TerminX and Evan, did an amazing job so far going through these builds, and capturing some great footage from it (Which is where this is from).
Thanks for the help so far guys!

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 28 November 2014 - 05:02 AM

User is offline   JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy 

• Steven Shitlord

TerminX and Evan, Awesome Sirs :)

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostTerminX, on 27 November 2014 - 10:56 PM, said:

deviance shits on everyone and everything and he gets a medal, what this comes down too he is the only person you really know in the industry, your only personal very poor george lucas and none shall say a bad word about him.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostStabs, on 28 November 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

deviance shits on everyone and everything and he gets a medal, what this comes down too he is the only person you really know in the industry, your only personal very poor george lucas and none shall say a bad word about him.

Literally everything you just said is so far out of touch with reality that I'm seriously left wondering if your life has spiraled out of control with drug use or something. What happened to you?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostStabs, on 28 November 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

deviance shits on everyone and everything and he gets a medal

Maybe like a year or so ago but lately he hasn't been treated too kindly by people here...

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostTerminX, on 28 November 2014 - 03:55 AM, said:

Literally everything you just said is so far out of touch with reality that I'm seriously left wondering if your life has spiraled out of control with drug use or something. What happened to you?

Because its clearer than ever too me that life is just a bunch of crabs in a bucket, blindly marching in the mediocrity parade.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostStabs, on 28 November 2014 - 04:14 AM, said:

Because its clearer than ever too me that life is just a bunch of crabs in a bucket, blindly marching in the mediocrity parade.

Marching in a bucket? That takes talent :)

Sounds like it's time for you to seek Jesus (no I'm not joking, hehe) If any Jesus mocking insues, I'll sick Bryan on you.

It's true at times there's a lot of "bag licking" going on in here, but it is what it is.. Humans in a society seek to be liked, more often than not or else society would not exist..no?

This post has been edited by Robman: 28 November 2014 - 04:40 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostStabs, on 28 November 2014 - 04:14 AM, said:

Dude, lay off the vapour...
Even I think you taking this to far.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The beta video looked great! Can't wait to get my hands on this stuff and mess around with it! Will any of these betas come with the old Build editors by any chance?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Luckily a lot of the older editors do exist on Ken's site. Some proper versions of older editors would be nice though.
CONVMAP / BACKMAP will however work pretty well, I had a simple script that did this chain and used tekwar's editor to check out LD maps / convert back for LD use.

Had a funny dream last night that this was released, Duke had a Boombox weapon which was then found to still exist in Total Meltdown, the game had a cheesy pop soundtrack, there were loads of gray stone textures and about 6400 more textures dedicated to an animation of what looked like a venus fly trap in monochrome, color and mirrored...

I have no idea. But it's happening! Even if it's not like my dream - which is probably a good thing. As for the editors, I already asked about that so I don't need to repeat myself, but I'm registering that I also have an interest in that.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 28 November 2014 - 07:09 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

It probably has something to do with you walking in a tracksuit with boombox.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Why does the player look 100 meters tall in the video?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

If you look at 0:25, the player view is perfectly aligned with the box, meaning it was set at 2^14 units from the ground (in the final version it is 56.25% of that).

This post has been edited by Fox: 28 November 2014 - 10:16 AM

At around 0:16, it appears there is no player sprite yet. Or if there was, it could not be seen when looking at yourself through a viewscreen.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options