• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Status of the Duke Nukem 3D Betas

User is offline   JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy 

• Steven Shitlord

I see my bad

This post has been edited by Duke64 Galactic Alliance: 23 November 2014 - 03:55 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostHulkNukem, on 23 November 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

Haven't played the multiplayer online ever, just private matches brother.

Because of your avatar this is how I read your comment.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 23 November 2014 - 04:27 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 23 November 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

He should go try to swindle Gearbox out of the DNF modding tools and see how that goes for him. That would actually make more sense than trying to get betas that were planned to be released anyway.

You say like Randy Pitchfork wasn't harassed before. I don't know how VIPs of bigger companies deal with it, but somehow they do. This sort of thing comes with a territory, I guess.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

They deal with it like adults to begin with.

User is offline   MetHy 

I wonder if major companies have big guys who come knock at the door of the harasser. :)

Who am I kidding, it's the video games market, not drugs. People still think it's somehow a better solution to go through a lengthy, costly and tiresome judiciary process.

Seriously, the couple of dudes who take care of the "internet crime" section of the FBI must be too busy trying to figure out who hacked photo accounts of major stars because THAT'S what worldwide news talk about.

But that's just like, my opinion man, and maybe that's why I'm not a CEO.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 November 2014 - 06:27 AM

User is offline   Fox 

What news talk about doesn't reflect reality. I believe the "cyber police" is too busy trying to locate the origin of child abuse material to deal with that stuff.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostRonan, on 23 November 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

Because of your avatar this is how I read your comment.

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT DUDE

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

Thanks for the valuable feedback.
We have something nice coming in the next few days :)

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 26 November 2014 - 05:38 AM, said:

Looking forward to it :woot:.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 26 November 2014 - 07:49 AM

User is offline   JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy 

• Steven Shitlord

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 26 November 2014 - 05:38 AM, said:

Awesome Sir can't wait

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostHulkNukem, on 23 November 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

I think this is just proof that Duke is cursed.

I hope Bombshell isn't cursed just by association.

Posted Image

#totallynotgoingtobesuedbyeverycanadianever

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 26 November 2014 - 11:39 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

I wrote stuff and then deleted it .. because this is what we call a "shitshow."

This post has been edited by Robman: 27 November 2014 - 12:38 AM

• Slipgate Studios

Here's a small video of what's coming :)

http://youtu.be/AIswGsuk3gA

User is offline   Marcos 

Amazing!! It look so different from the final version... I mean looks like wolfenstein a little, I might be crazy. Thanks for that Fred!!

User is offline   Fox 

It sure has a Duke Nukem I and II feel.

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah, exactly what I thought. Good to see nothing's given up.

User is offline   Gargoyle 

Looks delicious. The statusbar has even mustard topped on it.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Thanks for that!

From a quick glance:

- Viewscreens have a compass (wind directions)
- Viewscreens have a location string attached to each camera
- Map is E2L1 from lameduke, again reinforcing that this was one of the first maps built for the game (Same for the whole "L.A. saga")
- This gun seems to be earliest incarnation of the plasma gun, which ended up being the ripper.
- Intro screen is actually very much what the Doom alphas had, player rotating in a tiny room with a letter driven menu.
- White concrete has green stuff around it instead of the black stains seen in LD/Retail
- Sky texture is a very quick&dirty deluxepaint job. Later versions have something similar to what kenbuild had, although this is broken (over-stretched) in LD as the texture dimensions don't really work well with the later version of build.

Can't wait to see more !

User is offline   Stabs 

any chance of actually doing something quality of your own accord that dosnt involve fingering a classic IP, or digging up stuff that was buried for a reason?

I always wondered if they were originally going to go with a dn1/dn2 feel for duke nukem 3d, id be interested to know at what point they transitioned into a more adult like game.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 27 November 2014 - 08:06 AM

• Slipgate Studios

View PostStabs, on 27 November 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:

any chance of actually doing something quality of your own accord that dosnt involve fingering a classic IP, or digging up stuff that was buried for a reason?

No. The fanservice of showing things like old prototypes, re-releasing old titles on new platforms, doing legacy interviews, etc. is the only thing we're doing with 3D Realms :)
Joking aside, we have several big projects underway. These are the "Extra" things we're doing next to our main projects.

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 27 November 2014 - 08:08 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

Well if you are going that route there must be some builds in between shadow warrior and duke3d with some kind of further improved but still dodgy RoR support, that would be interesting to see at least especially if it included some example maps

View PostStabs, on 27 November 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

Well if you are going that route there must be some builds in between shadow warrior and duke3d with some kind of further improved but still dodgy RoR support, that would be interesting to see at least especially if it included some example maps

I'm sure there exists some zoo maps the engineering guys were using when they were working on the ror stuff for dn3d, but I can tell you those maps are probably not that interesting to see. Programmers don't make great art assets :). If the level guys were experimenting with the effect they might have some interesting stuff, I can't speak for 3dr's work flow, but you really don't ever hand the art guys half way working stuff, and expect them to make anything meaningful out of it.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 27 November 2014 - 08:40 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

D3D and SW are separate code branches from what I am aware of, it doesn't mean that they can't share a ton of code even in later stages.
Anyway, SW wasn't a straight continuation of D3D code.

I recall xduke (rancidmeat) implementing what was left of SOS in to duke3d. It's mainly the same thing as any other SOS implementation where you do the SOS with effector sprites and not something like TROR.

If you want to see it in action, just check out some earlier sourceports.
I doubt there are any interesting test maps aside from maybe modified retail maps to have transparent water and such. Would love to be proven wrong though.

This post has been edited by oasiz: 27 November 2014 - 08:38 AM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostStabs, on 27 November 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:

What's the reason for, other than underestimating the interest of fans with it? There is an unbelievable amount of enthusiasm on the Internet about early content cut from games.

The same BETAs we are talking here have already made the news around:
Spoiler

• Slipgate Studios

It was never a question about not releasing it.
We were just discouraged by the constant harassment.
No worries. :)

User is offline   MetHy 

View Postoasiz, on 27 November 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

I doubt there are any interesting test maps aside from maybe modified retail maps to have transparent water and such. Would love to be proven wrong though.

According to Wieder in another thread on this forum (if I recall and understand correctly), a lot was done with Build and RoR after DN3D and after Shadow Warrior. He was talking of a Dam level or something. IIRC he also said something like "there was room over room over room over room over how much your CPU could handle".

This however, is something that has nothing to do with SW and DN3D betas and probably not something we're going to see.
Even if DNF's "official" first Build was Quake engine, that was probably for "the sequel to DN3D which wasn't quite called DNF yet", which means that Frederik might not even have the right to show that (if he even wanted to and if it even existed and still existed).

Though honestly we should already be more than happy with the betas.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 27 November 2014 - 09:09 AM

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 27 November 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

It was never a question about not releasing it.
We were just discouraged by the constant harassment.
No worries. :)

You're awesome man. Don't let horrible people get in the way of you doing cool things.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Hopefully, I won't be frowned upon if I say that the theme in that beta video was going to be the Mass Destruction theme that I was allowed to hear a while back. I hope the whole theme is revealed or released because it gets better than what is heard there.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options