Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Does The Internet? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Does The Internet?

Anyone still have this book? Can you post some photos of it? It shouldn't be illegal, seeing as how old the book is already, plus the fact that it has fallen into obscurity. On a side note, does anyone have those level design books by Matt Tagliaferri too?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostPikaCommando, on 18 November 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

It shouldn't be illegal, seeing as how old the book is already, plus the fact that it has fallen into obscurity.

You obviously don't understand copyright law.

View PostHendricks266, on 18 November 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

You obviously don't understand copyright law.

I've seen people posting photos of book pages and video reviews of books while showing the pages of the books on video, so why is this a problem too?

• Weaponized Autism

I'm not saying it's a problem, I'm just saying you're wrong.

View PostHendricks266, on 18 November 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

I'm not saying it's a problem, I'm just saying you're wrong.

Wait, I said that posting photos of a book shouldn't be illegal, and you agree that it's not a problem (problem = breaching laws that might get you into lawsuits and copyright troubles), so how is that wrong?

• Weaponized Autism

Posted Image

It's not a problem simply because the copyright holder is not likely to enforce their rights. That doesn't make it legal.

View PostPikaCommando, on 18 November 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

It shouldn't be illegal, seeing as how old the book is already, plus the fact that it has fallen into obscurity.

"Abandonware" holds no legal weight.

You can post the scans, but you must delete them within 24 hours of them being downloaded.

This post has been edited by MYHOUSE.MAP: 18 November 2014 - 10:20 AM

I have the book. Apart from the goofy premise of having Duke tell you how to set up your mid-90s PC, there's really not much appeal to someone who's just a fan of the games. However, if you're into retro PC stuff (wait, the 90s can't possibly be retro, right? It's only been ten years, hasn't it?), then you might find it an enjoyable read. It's a wonderful time capsule of the era.

However, that isn't what I find to be particularly interesting about about the book. During a completely unrelated endeavor, I happened to come across another book called the Deathmatch Manifesto that I realized was published by the same company. I decided to purchase it on a whim, and upon receiving my copy, I was quite surprised to find out that it was formatted in the exact same manner as Duke Nukem Does the Internet even though it's not written from Duke's perspective. It's a bit odd seeing a mug shot of Duke give you hints on proper deathmatching in Doom and Quake, although DNDTI technically never shied away from mentioning other popular FPS games. And, oh boy, if you think DNDTI is a charming time capsule in regards to PC hardware, Deathmatch Manifesto is an absolute goldmine when it comes to the mid-90s FPS scene. There are website addresses provided alongside BBS numbers, direct IPs to game servers, mentions of the "upcoming" titles Blood (by "Q Studios"), Unreal, and Prey, and even a whole section dedicated to known Quake clans at the time.

But I imagine people just want to see the pictures, so have a bunch! Here's DNDTI and Deathmatch Manifesto side-by-side:
Posted Image

An excerpt from DNDTI teaching you how to set up your Netscape Navigator email (note the hint boxes):
Posted Image

And, for comparison, an excerpt from Deathmatch Manifesto which looks strikingly similar:
Posted Image

I wish I could share more, but it's not really feasible (nor strictly legal!). Instead, I offer one more except from Deathmatch Manifesto that would be of interest: its choice selection of Duke 3D user maps that it saw fit to highlight and include on its bonus disc. Any recognizable names here?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Unfortunately, my copy was missing the disc.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Is it just me, or do the mouse and keyboard look like they're floating on the book cover art?

This post has been edited by gerolf: 20 November 2014 - 07:09 PM

View Postgerolf, on 20 November 2014 - 07:08 PM, said:

Is it just me, or do the mouse and keyboard look like they're floating on the book cover art?

Yep, I think you're right.

Since the cover is probably the most intriguing part of the Duke Nukem Does The Internet, I decided to scan it in high resolution for better admiration. Just a forewarning, my scanner isn't of the best quality and my copy of the book is in somewhat rough condition, but I've done my best to manually clean up the dirt and defects:

Posted Image

User is offline   Hool 

It looks like you can see Duke playing Duke 3D in the reflection of his shades - pretty cool detail.

User is offline   Evilman 

Posted Image

Never forget.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View Postgerolf, on 20 November 2014 - 07:08 PM, said:

Nah, it looks to me as though they're both resting on a wooden board which, admittedly, blends in a bit with Duke's red tank top.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

The mouse is on a thick mouse pad, the keyboard is obstructed by it. It does look like it's floating though.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

You nailed it.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Chuck Jones' Duke Nukem model looks fine in-game but seeing it like this makes him look weird compared to every later Duke Nukem game. It's kind of hard to explain, but the eyebrows and his hair and his lips and the way his shirt looks over his chest just doesn't look right to me.

Does anyone have these bonus maps for the game? It's good that everyone knows how to set up Netscape from a million years ago.

User is offline   ashura252 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 01 September 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

Chuck Jones' Duke Nukem model looks fine in-game but seeing it like this makes him look weird compared to every later Duke Nukem game. It's kind of hard to explain, but the eyebrows and his hair and his lips and the way his shirt looks over his chest just doesn't look right to me.

His shoulders look gigantic compared to the rest of his arms, and he's got a bit of this "old man face" thing going on.

Is this the one that inspired 3DR to put Hoover Dam in DNF?

Posted Image

User is offline   necroslut 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 01 September 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

Duke's model doesn't look as good as the enemies. Honestly though, considering it's a ~1996 human model it looks unusually good. Do you remember what human models in the CGI videos of the time looked like?

User is offline   deuxsonic 

It made me think of the PS1 "game" D that was basically just a minimally interactive CG movie on like 3 CDs that they were doing back then for some reason. Lovely CG people.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options