Duke4.net Forums: EGwhaven Thread (Witchaven II Source Modification) - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EGwhaven Thread (Witchaven II Source Modification)  "An Area To Discuss EGwhaven, WH1 and WH2"

View PostDaedolon, on 22 January 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

The Ankh is supposed to give you 250 health according to the manual.

That's what I thought ... then I wonder why in the second game it puts you to 125 instead of the 250 of the first game :/

Do you think it's a bug or it's another coding mistake from the developers (the original ones) ?
Or did they want to change it for the second game and forgot to update their manual ?

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 22 January 2017 - 11:27 PM

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 21 January 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

1_ How is the Ankh item supposed to work in the second game ?
Because in the first game it set you 250HPs if I recall correctly while in the second game it sets you to 125HPs even if you were higher.

2_ The fix about sounds being stuck into a loop in the second game seems to still be present but way less frequent and it fixes itself alone after a few minutes or another sound same type occurred. I used to just have to press Esc, wait and carry on (this technique doesn't work in EGWhaven but no need in the end)
BTW, if it may help, I got that bug after I went in an enchantment altar.

3_ I don't know if intended but it appears the annoying glitch about health potions is fixed (basically when you use a health potion and the result is any higher than your max HP you would be thrown back to 30HP or so instead of being capped at your max HP).

Confirmed that in vanilla WH2 the Ankh sets health to 125, at least when at XP level 1. I'll look into it further; Witchaven II has a lot of half-baked changes to item/weapon/etc. stats over the original that seem as if the devs were experimenting with stuff and then shoved the game out the door before they really had a chance to test and balance said changes. The manuals to both games are often inconsistent with what's actually going on in the code (for example, the Sapphire Ring which the manual says gives you fire resistance, but which actually hardens your armor to plate class regardless of what type it was before). If vanilla behavior causes you to LOSE health when you are at a high enough level to have an HP cap greater than 125, then I will consider it a bug, as I did with the Glass Skull bug that makes you lose XP.

The health potion bug that you describe, I am unable to quickly replicate though, health seems to cap correctly when at near-max health and using a health potion at full health is disallowed. Could you tell me what version your WH2.EXE reports and what the CRC32 of the file is? Were you running the game through DOSBox? What version of DOSBox?

Sound looping bug is one of those things I still have to dig into more in-depth, I've looked over the sound code before and nothing has jumped out at me as wrong yet, so it might take some deeper prodding.

This post has been edited by ETTiNGRiNDER: 27 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

View PostETTiNGRiNDER, on 27 January 2017 - 01:42 PM, said:

The health potion bug that you describe, I am unable to quickly replicate though, health seems to cap correctly when at near-max health and using a health potion at full health is disallowed. Could you tell me what version your WH2.EXE reports and what the CRC32 of the file is? Were you running the game through DOSBox? What version of DOSBox?

Oh I'm afraid you're asking a hard question there O_o
I'm running the game under 0,74 DOSBox however I can't tell you about the rest ... I found the game on an Abandonware site. And I have no idea what CRC32 is o_O

For the health potion thing basically if I play without using EGWhaven then if I use one and the amount of HP will exceed my maximal limit then instead of being caped at said amount I would lose HP to a low value and the game actually doesn't forbid the use of HP potions which I presume is what causes the bug. However when I play using EGWhaven it works just like in the first game, I reach my max limit and the use is forbidden.

How can I obtain the info you need ? I suppose just running it in DOSBox and looking at the messages will tell me what version WH2 is but I really have no idea about the CRC32 ?

Version number should appear when the game first starts up, while it's still in textmode; it's on the blue bar at the top of the screen. If it flashes by too quickly to read, you can try slowing down DOSBox with the cycles command, or it might still be possible to find by other methods but that's the easiest one.

To get the CRC32, get this program and scan WH2.EXE with it. There are other programs that can do the same thing but this is the one that comes to mind offhand.
http://www.slavasoft.com/hashcalc/
Basically it gives an identifier that I can compare against different versions of the EXE so that I know if you have a different version from mine.

Given how you got the file, it's also possible that the problem is due to a shoddy cracking job as abandonware releases are sometimes unofficially patched with copy protection bypasses and other shenanigans (and given Witchaven 2's CD check and general lack of awareness until recently of the LOCAL parameter that can bypass it, a cracked version seems likely.) Normally I wouldn't expect a CD check bypass to interfere in that sort of way, but the one I'm aware of does something weird with the joystick settings, so I wouldn't entirely rule it out.

I have original Witchaven CD, and can't get over it's copy protection, so I just use one from the 3dshooterlegends :P

7zip has crc checker, and is also a pretty great tool in itself

Oookay so from what I've been able to make out, based on what both of you said ...

1_ I barely saw it but I think my EXE version was 2.0, or at least that's what I think I saw (now it launches too fast so I would need to restart my PC in order to have it launch more slowly).

2_ Thank you CrypKiller because I happen to have 7Zip alongside WinRAR so thanks to you I could easily check out the CRC32 of the EXE >>> A4125C59

Also ETTiNGRiNDER, you mentioned something about joysticks, I happen to have that infamous message you're most certainly aware of, using egwhaven or not doesn't solve that problem but I have long since accommodated to it so it's kind of the least of my concerns ...

Well I don't know if it could help but I think that the site I got it from was DJ Old Games. I had found one on Abandonware France but it uses a pure ROM you have to install using DOSBox and I never managed to make it work correctly so that's why I got it from DJOG instead. (I should have checked Abandonia)

User is offline   kloki38 

It´s possible to do something with the multiplayer exe too ? Like being able to play singleplayer maps (because the DM ones are junk) or coop. Tekwar has coop, so why they didn´t include it in witchaven 1 and 2 ? It doesn´t make any sense.

View Postkloki38, on 09 February 2017 - 05:51 AM, said:

It´s possible to do something with the multiplayer exe too ? Like being able to play singleplayer maps (because the DM ones are junk) or coop. Tekwar has coop, so why they didn´t include it in witchaven 1 and 2 ? It doesn´t make any sense.

I would need someone to test multiplayer with before I would bother trying to work on it. I'm not even sure if multiplayer functions in egwhaven currently.

It works, when you rename egwhaven to wh/wh2.exe, but I had a few crashes. I also found an annoying bug in WH 2 - every once in a while it plays the ouch sound for no reason (I tested it alone, 2:40 is a good example of this) :

there is some true DM gameplay I found.

This post has been edited by kloki38: 10 February 2017 - 02:35 AM

View Postkloki38, on 10 February 2017 - 02:13 AM, said:

It works, when you rename egwhaven to wh/wh2.exe, but I had a few crashes. I also found an annoying bug in WH 2 - every once in a while it plays the ouch sound for no reason (I tested it alone, 2:40 is a good example of this) :

https://www.youtube....h?v=nutXnieiNsg

there is some true DM gameplay I found.

https://www.youtube....h?v=CiLc1619eyM

Are you sure you were not poisoned ?

The first time I played using EGwhaven I did get that random "ouch" sound you describe but then I drank a Cure Potion and it no longer occurred, I was surprised because it meant I was poisoned by a chest (something that never happens in vanilla).
Otherwise it might be something to do with multi

No, because I had 100% for the whole time. Also, there are no traps/monsters/chests and it´s impossible to change maps during a game - you have to start a new one with different map from DOS.
Just in case there´s my WH2.exe crc32 : c6ef9266.

This post has been edited by kloki38: 10 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

View Postkloki38, on 10 February 2017 - 02:13 AM, said:

It works, when you rename egwhaven to wh/wh2.exe, but I had a few crashes. I also found an annoying bug in WH 2 - every once in a while it plays the ouch sound for no reason (I tested it alone, 2:40 is a good example of this)

That's a "feature"; they purposely coded it to play that sound after a while when you're running, presumably to make it sound like Grondoval is panting with exertion. I can potentially disable it or make it a selectable option when I get around to adding selectable options (which are long overdue); for me it's only ever happened in my egwhaven recompiles, not in the vanilla EXE so it's not consistent behavior at any rate.

Were you doing anything particular at the time that things crashed?

If there's enough interest, I'd be willing to look into using the emulated networking in DOSBox to try to set up test games with someone. This is not the easiest thing in the world to set up as I recall, and the last time I tried it (for a Master of Orion II game) the person I was trying to set it up with gave up on it, but it should be doable for someone technically-minded enough.

1) That´s actually awesome for an old ms-dos fps. So, how can I disable always run then ? The run key does nothing at all.

2) EDIT: I did a few testings and the problem must be in egwhaven1 NOT in dosbox.

When the floor lowers in front of the first minodrake it works ok, but if you step on it the game freeze and this appear:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Original WH1.exe works fine (in this case).

3) It´s not complicated at all - I hosted a few Blood coops for my friends and it worked fine (with a few unavoidable lags). Install some port-forwarding software (like hamachi /evolve - which I prefer for the party system and chat/... ), open dosbox.conf and set ipx to true. Create a party, invite some friends. Then start dosbox, type ipxnet startserver. The rest will join with command ipxnet connect *ip of the host from evolve/hamachi...*. Start a network game....and that´s it.

https://www.dosbox.c...ki/connectivity

This post has been edited by kloki38: 11 February 2017 - 06:12 AM

I recorded it just in case :

https://youtu.be/7c1ImZsunF8

Please check my previous post - I updated it.

This post has been edited by kloki38: 11 February 2017 - 06:13 AM

If you get a chance before I do, please check sirlemonhead's build if you are able, and see if it also exhibits the error. Until I get a chance to investigate further, it's possible that there was a change in the Watcom compiler between the version Capstone used and the one I've been using which messed something up (it is the case, that EGwhaven savegames are not compatible with vanilla ones, which should not be; it's something I've been looking into as well as the config file formats). Judging by the error message, the game's trying to access a memory location or a hardware address that it is not allowed to (possibly due to it not existing), but I'll have to dig into it further; I still haven't got around to setting the correct dev environment back up after doing an OS switch on my main computer so development might be slow for a bit longer.

That build works fine.

Thanks! I will probably base my next WH1 build on sirlemonhead's version then, and see if it helps. Having to drop back to an older Watcom version for building is unfortunate in some ways but is probably the quickest way to get rid of these types of issues until I can give them a more thorough debugging, and introducing new weird bugs and quirks due to using a newer compiler version is counterproductive to the goals of the project. Hopefully I will be able to address this fairly soon.

User is offline   lothar13 

I love to see people working in so hard , in witchaven :P if i can help in something ,here i am ,i just mapper , but i compose music too ,

i play this game since my youngest ages and i love it sincerely , keep the work in progress.

greetings ;)

User is offline   Devon 

Just wish there was a windows port of it.

Wishlist.

Opengl
texture filtering
better controls
better movement

one can always dream =)

I will happily donate to get a proper windows version of both wh1 and wh2.

View PostDevon, on 11 October 2017 - 07:11 AM, said:

Just wish there was a windows port of it.

Maybe, if the SMK/HMP format dependencies can be solved. I should probably look into what Descent ports are doing for music since that game used HMP as well if I recall correctly.

Opengl
texture filtering

Won't do.

better controls
better movement

Working on it.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

HMP is a MIDI container format.

JFTekWar uses libsmacker to play the SMK files.

EGwhaven v1.0 is now out! This marks a major release with some long-planned features and should be generally more stable than prior releases.

Updates to both versions:
- RULES.CFG. This allows some of the optional fixes and a few other tweaks to be adjusted per GAME folder.
- GAME parameter now correctly maintains separate savegame sets for each GAME directory.
- Mouse movement and mouselook fixes/improvements.
- Monsters no longer get locked in insane repeat-teleporting loops.
- New configuration program for control setup and preferences. Keys to cycle through potions can be remapped.
- .MAP file not found is now a clean exit rather than a hard crash.
- Better framerate fixes.

Updates to EGWH1:
- Witchaven II autorun feature backported.
- Witchaven II shield toggle feature backported.
- 3-button mouse functionality restored.
- Loose daggers placed in the map are properly collectable now.

Updates to EGWH2:
- MAPNAMES.CFG: Level titles are now external and customizable.
- Fix to an error which caused intermission screen issues if WARP was used.
- Fixed a regression in EGWH2 versions 0.5 through 0.7 that crashed the game if too many sounds played at once. (Activating Nuke outside Cirae-Argoth's ziggurat was an effective way to trigger this).
- Level numbers greater than 15 can play background music.
- Fixes to end-of-level scoring to make it more accurate, especially on small levels with few items/enemies.
- Argothonian Clansman hit detection fix. On-target strikes will no longer erroneously miss them when they're in mid-swing of the sword.

Take a look at the usual place:
http://ettingrinder....h-egwhaven.html

I've also made a small update to my Witchaven map data patches. Level 13 of WH1 now has a patch which fixes the bow that formerly could not be collected.
http://ettingrinder....t/wh-tools.html

I've posted a bugfix release, v1.1.
Highlights:
- WH1 mouse turning now consistent with WH2
- WH2 mlook-flight control (fly up/down when looking up/down) corrected to WH1 version
- Cap on mouse sensitivity values greatly increased (from 16 to 256) to accommodate players with slow mouse speed
- Zig-zag strafe movement made more responsive
- A fix to save/load of graphics mode setting for WH2
- Fixes to performance degradation on slower systems (WH2 especially)

Willy you port it to windows?
Please

User is offline   Phredreeke 

The author hasn't been active on the forum for over two years.

For Witchaven 1 you can use BuildGDX. Hopefully a future version will have support for WH2

oh. Sorry.
What inspired me was the ability to change some mechanics.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostPhredreeke, on 07 January 2020 - 03:33 PM, said:

The author hasn't been active on the forum for over two years.

If this ETTiNGRiNDER is the same one then you can try ask him via PM, unless you don't want to register the Doomworld forum.

But I guess that's why he never came back here since 2017.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options