Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread  "Post and discuss new or updated textures/models for the HRP here"

User is offline   Mark 

I was browsing my HRP texture folder and I noticed that tile 217 is not a 4X original size. The original was 8 x 128 so the HRP version should be 32 x 512 but its actually 1024 x 1024. I have no idea if others have strayed from the 4x rule or not. I just happened to pick that one at random.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

And 0217.png actually has the correct dimensions. When somebody added the _d/_n/_s versions, it got screwed.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMark., on 14 December 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

I was browsing my HRP texture folder and I noticed that tile 217 is not a 4X original size. The original was 8 x 128 so the HRP version should be 32 x 512 but its actually 1024 x 1024. I have no idea if others have strayed from the 4x rule or not. I just happened to pick that one at random.

I thought we moved up from the 4x rule ages ago. Isn't it 8x now?

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

polymer tile 217 was created 16x width by the purpose. Imagine a corridor in game where this texture repeats itself on the wall like 64 times, now when it has the same width as height (and proper multiplyer in defs) it repeats only 8 times + more small details can be fit on the texture horizontally.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostRoma Loom, on 15 December 2014 - 07:19 AM, said:

polymer tile 217 was created 16x width by the purpose. Imagine a corridor in game where this texture repeats itself on the wall like 64 times, now when it has the same width as height (and proper multiplyer in defs) it repeats only 8 times + more small details can be fit on the texture horizontally.
That's what I guessed, otherwise I'd have asked back then.

View PostNightFright, on 14 December 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

Last time I checked (which has been a while ago, I admit), no major new content had been added to the HRP SVN for quite a while. A few updated textures here, a few new maphacks for mods (which we still cannot use if I am not mistaken) there. I doubt that you folks would notice visible differences compared to the version released last year. Personally, I wished for reaching a milestone again, e.g. completion of ep. 2-4 content. Consider that the HRP pack as it is now is quite huge, and if you redownload everything and you won't be able to tell what's new right after firing up the whole thing, you may end up a bit disappointed.

Anyway, if you guys wish for it, I could recompile another refresh release - but I need to test it first which might take a bit. Also it needs to be coordinated with the comm in case any of you still has stuff they want to get added before. Could be done before new year still (if there is nothing major in the pipeline), though - my holidays start after coming Friday.
I agree that reaching a milestone or a similar achievement should be the trigger for our next full release. Maphack-wise, I'd like to complete reviewing the Atomic maps first, and add the maps which you have modified for your grpinfo addon compilation. However, Eduke32 still doesn't support the maphack hierarchy. And as of source revision 4496, all executables are broken in one way or the other, so that there is no recent candidate to include in the SFX package.
But if Roma Loom, who has been more or less the only notable contributor over the last year, thinks a full release is appropriate, then go for it. I'll PM you an update pack download link (no revision numbers, 135MiB), so you can check out what's new more easily.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMark., on 14 December 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

>should

View PostNightFright, on 15 December 2014 - 06:13 AM, said:

And 0217.png actually has the correct dimensions. When somebody added the _d/_n/_s versions, it got screwed.

>screwed

Give this man a cookie.

texture 217 {
pal 0 { file "highres/textures/0217_d.png" xscale 16 }

User is offline   Mark 

Thats what I thought also. I'm glad the rules occasionally have been "relaxed" a little for the sake of quality.

• Weaponized Autism

I don't see how it breaks the rule at all. Taking into account the xscale 16, 8px * 16 * 8 = 1024.

User is offline   Mark 

My read on the upscale is that if you multiply horizontally by X amount you must also multiply vertically by X amount. I'm sure you must remember how anal a lot of people were about these things a few years ago. It helped to turn out a good product but the nitpicking was horrible sometimes. This example would have had some argument from a purist. (not me)

This post has been edited by Mark.: 15 December 2014 - 04:29 PM

• Weaponized Autism

I'm not sure if you missed my post of the def code for that texture:

texture 217 {
   pal 0 { file "highres/textures/0217_d.png" xscale 16 }
   normal { file "highres/textures/0217_n.png" parallaxbias 0.04 parallaxscale 0.05 }
   specular { file "highres/textures/0217_s.png" }
   detail { file "highres/detail/paint.png" xscale 0.4 yscale 0.4 }
}

Note the xscale 16. This token causes the texture to be treated as if it covers 16 repetitions on the x-axis. Otherwise, Roma's texture would appear squished horizontally 16 times.

User is offline   Mark 

" So I see " said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw. :)

• The Truth is in here

According to a file LeoD sent me for overview purposes, the content changes compared to HRP v5.3 are still moderate. It's 130+ MB of changed/added stuff, but the only real highlight I can spot right away is the Luke Skywalker model - which only pops up once in a secret area of ep.2. There is a fair number of updated models and lots of textures though, so maybe it's at least good for another refresh release (i.e. we remain within the 5.x version numbers).

I will check this out starting this weekend and see if everything looks the way it should.

*UPDATE Dec 17*
Roma is still working on some textures during his holidays, so we'll wait for those to make the release a bit more "worthwhile". A delay by one month or so won't hurt anybody.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 17 December 2014 - 12:56 AM

Hi folks

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but the snack vending machine texture doesn't seem to be working.....
Attached Image: duke0001.png

I don't know if it's a problem with the pack itself or something in my settings, but I felt you guys should know.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Postdarkprince227, on 12 January 2015 - 05:50 AM, said:

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but the snack vending machine texture doesn't seem to be working....
We have a sticky HRP Issues Thread in the Bug reports & "help me" threads subforum...

I don't know if it's a problem with the pack itself or something in my settings, but I felt you guys should know.
I suspect your settings, tbh. Reproduce the issue, attach the according eduke32.log as usually recommended. Which map are you using?

Concerning screenshots: Type DNCOORDS before taking a screenshot, that helps finding the location. Converting your screenshots to JPG before uploading seems like a good idea in most cases, too.

View PostLeoD, on 12 January 2015 - 07:26 AM, said:

We have a sticky HRP Issues Thread in the Bug reports & "help me" threads subforum...

I suspect your settings, tbh. Reproduce the issue, attach the according eduke32.log as usually recommended. Which map are you using?

Concerning screenshots: Type DNCOORDS before taking a screenshot, that helps finding the location. Converting your screenshots to JPG before uploading seems like a good idea in most cases, too.

Okay, I'll use that thread next time, and I'll try to remember what you said about screenshots too.

Here's the eduke32 log like you asked. BTW, I am on the level Hotel Hell (I accessed it via the user map selection)Attached File  eduke32.log (4.52K)
Number of downloads: 272

Oh, and it's just the front bit (texture 1212.png) that doesn't work. The sides look fine.

This post has been edited by darkprince227: 12 January 2015 - 02:47 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but the snack vending machine texture doesn't seem to be working.....

View PostLeoD, on 12 January 2015 - 07:26 AM, said:

I suspect your settings, tbh.
Not your settings. Bug confirmed. To be continued in the EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! thread.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

In highres/textures_polymost.def, "xscale 4 yscale 4" should be removed for tiles like 0336.png (water), as far as I can see. Currently the HRP has
texture 336 {
   pal 0 { file "highres/textures/0336.png" xscale 4 yscale 4 }
   pal 2 { file "highres/textures/0336_2.png" }
   pal 21 { file "highres/textures/0336_2.png" }
}

but the tinted PNG has the same size as the base one.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostHelixhorned, on 17 February 2015 - 06:42 AM, said:

In highres/textures_polymost.def, "xscale 4 yscale 4" should be removed for tiles like 0336.png (water), as far as I can see.
Tbh, without much thinking I simply copied the changes Roma Loom made to textures.def r655. Since both refer to the same set of PNGs, that should be reverted in textures.def, too? Btw, does each pal entry really need its own scale?

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostLeoD, on 17 February 2015 - 08:01 AM, said:

Since both refer to the same set of PNGs, that should be reverted in textures.def, too?

Looks like it should.

Btw, does each pal entry really need its own scale?

Such is the semantics of the xscale/yscale tokens within the pal block of the texture DEF command. I don't think it would be sensible to retroactively change it to something more convenient.

• Loomsday Device

View PostLeoD, on 17 February 2015 - 08:01 AM, said:

Tbh, without much thinking I simply copied the changes Roma Loom made to textures.def r655. Since both refer to the same set of PNGs, that should be reverted in textures.def, too? Btw, does each pal entry really need its own scale?

Oops. I remember I was experimenting with new water textures and forgot to reverse changes, sorry.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostRoma Loom, on 18 February 2015 - 04:53 AM, said:

Oops. I remember I was experimenting with new water textures and forgot to reverse changes, sorry.
Hehe, I should stop assuming that most other guys around here always know better than I do by default. :)

Btw, thanks for working on the cranepole, but, unforunately, your pole still ain't long enough. :P
This can probably be viewed best in church.map (part of the 666 episode, available here) near the start at x=6500 / y=-6000. Note that recent EDuke32 in combination with the repo HRP will load a maphack with notmds for those. Place an empty church.mhk alongside church.map to avoid that.
Attached Image: cranepole-art.jpg Attached Image: cranepole-r665.jpg
(The Polymost HRP necromancer would also appreciate a Polymost crane[pole] skin very much.)

• Loomsday Device

View PostLeoD, on 18 February 2015 - 06:10 AM, said:

Btw, thanks for working on the cranepole, but, unforunately, your pole still ain't long enough. :)
(The Polymost HRP necromancer would also appreciate a Polymost crane[pole] skin very much.)

I've tested it on e1l4, it was ok. Though I see Y-Center offset = 1 of the tile 1221 in the art file. And I don't really know if it applies to the model...

My new revision 4319, 4320. My first version of these textures is disgusting . This remake will be adequate , I think. :)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 4319.png
  • Attached Image: 4320.png

User is offline   Spiker 

I bet that such a talented artist wouldn't have a slightest problem to create some normal maps along with it.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I still don't get the texture (the original neither), why would the pillar be so flat, those shaded edges barely look like edges. The top also ends without any kind of beveling so it looks silly when repeated.

User is offline   Mark 

It looks good except for the missing shadows on the underside faces of the rocks in front. If you look at the present HRP texture you'll know what I mean.

• The Truth is in here

How far are we regarding HRP stuff? Does anyone have something major pending for which we still need to wait? Asking because we might slooooowly try to aim for a release again at long last.

Humble side note:
I have just revamped the download section of the HRP website. Since there are really many entries by now, you had to scroll a lot, and with all the description texts there it really felt a bit bloated. Tell me if you like it better now - basically long info text parts have been hidden with spoiler buttons and download options have been compressed as much as possible.

Ah yeah, and it seems there was a problem with the OPL music pack. Actually it didn't work at all because the definition file was screwed. Nobody reported it since 2012 - until yesterday. xD I fixed it and uploaded a new version.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 March 2015 - 08:46 AM

User is offline   TON 

View PostSteveeeie, on 16 July 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

Re-baked and re-textured the urinal(stall)

The AO of the original looked rough like paper, instead of being smooth like porcelain, to combat this i needed more light bounces .. it took my machine half an hour to get a bake that was smooth enough.

http://forums.duke4....&attach_id=6915

Download? :)

This post has been edited by TON: 05 March 2015 - 10:16 AM

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostTON, on 05 March 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

Not sure I have the file any more, it definitely wont have a broke counter part.

I'll dig around.

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostTON, on 05 March 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

Edit: Nope :P not got the same one.

May remake it at some point.

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 07 March 2015 - 01:54 PM

Share this topic:

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options