Duke4.net Forums: Origins specs for a pc that's equable to the PS4 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Origins specs for a pc that's equable to the PS4

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

I sent Origin (PC) a message stating, "How much would it cost for a similar PC rig to the Ps4", in only 1-2 days they sent me an example, Here it is...
Spoiler

What do you guys think of it, and how much cheaper would it be to build one of these?
Prices of individual Items
Spoiler

with origin I am paying 346.10-266.10 (W/o w/ cooler) for a 1 year warranty, Labor, and Lifetime Labor/24-7 support on my pc (and a wood crate) and of course a more specialized case (Chronos Case)(which is of course just aesthetically pleasing)

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 09 November 2014 - 07:35 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

2 internet explorers!? WOW buy it now :)

Seriously though just build your own and save some cash, it's dummy-proof these days anyway. Don't even need to know what a jumper or dip switch is or does.

Use win7 Ultimate 64 bit and use anything except internet explorer...( go firefox )

Just price out a case, the asus mobo, the intel i5, video card, 500 watt or higher power supply, hard drive and ram. You ll only really need more than the stock cooler for the i5 if you want to overclock the thing and still have it run very cool.

At the end of it you'll have the satisfaction of building your own pc + added knowledge.

Slap AVG free antivirus on it and call it a day.

This post has been edited by Robman: 08 November 2014 - 09:13 PM

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostRobman, on 08 November 2014 - 09:05 PM, said:

2 internet explorers!? WOW buy it now :)

Seriously though just build your own and save some cash, it's dummy-proof these days anyway. Don't even need to know what a jumper or dip switch is or does.

Use win7 Ultimate 64 bit and use anything except internet explorer...( go firefox )

Just price out a case, the asus mobo, the intel i5, video card, 500 watt or higher power supply, hard drive and ram. You ll only really need more than the stock cooler for the i5 if you want to overclock the thing and still have it run very cool.

At the end of it you'll have the satisfaction of building your own pc + added knowledge.

Slap AVG free antivirus on it and call it a day.

Thanks for the response. (I didn't even notice the two internet explorers, and I'm just gonna leave it there because it was the response they sent me) I'm not gonna build a PC, the best I would do is update the graphics card in my current one to help play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. , right now I'm content with all of the DN3D mods, levels, and TCs you guys are putting out, and my ps4. Yeah, I use firefox or nightly, but I still Have IE as a secondary on this one... but it's kind of funny that a well known high end pc manufacturer would make a stupid mistake like that, anyways thank you. The main answer I was trying to get off those guys is how much cash I would have to pay for a pc that's equal to the ps4, knowing that I'm of course paying for labor as these are custom built, I was really wondering how much those parts would be in a shopping cart with me taking them home and building the product. I'm probably gonna find out the ball park of the parts and see if I can put it together...also free norton works fine...

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 08 November 2014 - 11:07 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Price? Even if you ball-parked it at $100 per component, that's only 700 bucks.

Realistically, you'd have that built for under a $1000.

That i5 is about $200
Cheap liquid cooling is about $80
Asus mobo $140
Power Supply $70
750 gtx 1gb $140
500gb hdd $60
8gb memory $90
Case $60

= $840
+ whatever windows costs.

That's up here in Canada but prices should be close enough.

This post has been edited by Robman: 08 November 2014 - 11:54 PM

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostRobman, on 08 November 2014 - 11:42 PM, said:

Price? Even if you ball-parked it at $100 per component, that's only 700 bucks.

Realistically, you'd have that built for under a $1000.

That i5 is about $200
Cheap liquid cooling is about $80
Asus mobo $140
Power Supply $70
750 gtx 1gb $140
500gb hdd $60
8gb memory $90
Case $60

= $840
+ whatever windows costs.

That's up here in Canada but prices should be close enough.

Thanks, for the help I looked up exact Prices. It came up cheaper with windows...

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 09 November 2014 - 12:05 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

You do not need liquid cooling, anyone that tells you that you do is an idiot.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostThe Commander, on 09 November 2014 - 04:06 AM, said:

Are you saying that liquid cooling is useless or simply that you don't need it to run a computer? Elaborate please.

Also, what's an Origin?

This post has been edited by Kathy: 09 November 2014 - 04:45 AM

It is a useless peice if hardware that is not needed, unless you plan on running your PC in the middle of a desert in direct sunlight.

I've been running my i7 CPU for 3+? years now using just the standard fan included with it left on 24/7.
No issues yet or hardware failure.

If someone can tell me a valid reason to get liquid cooling over saving the money for it, I'd love to hear it.

User is offline   Kathy 

Less noise?

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostKathy, on 09 November 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

Less noise?

Headphones.

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostKathy, on 09 November 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:

Are you saying that liquid cooling is useless or simply that you don't need it to run a computer? Elaborate please.

Also, what's an Origin?

Origin is a pc building website, similar to I buy power and cyberpower pcs, specializing in higher powered ones (although this one isn't) I feel though googling origin pc will give a better answer then I can... especially their about us page... (I know it's kind of a bigoted rude answer, but they will be able to explain their own company better then I ever can.) So... yeah.
My link
Their "about us" page.
My link

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 09 November 2014 - 11:04 AM

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostThe Commander, on 09 November 2014 - 08:08 AM, said:

It is a useless peice if hardware that is not needed, unless you plan on running your PC in the middle of a desert in direct sunlight.

I've been running my i7 CPU for 3+? years now using just the standard fan included with it left on 24/7.

If someone can tell me a valid reason to get liquid cooling over saving the money for it, I'd lovelock to hear it.

That's why I labelled it as unnecessary, I updated the price as with and without, and I feel the main reason some one would get one is the fact that there's no kill like overkill. (Or they have extra cash to waste) Or of course, like kathy said, the sound problem...

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 09 November 2014 - 11:04 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostBalls Of Steel Forever, on 08 November 2014 - 06:14 PM, said:

 ORIGIN PC G8 T-Shirt XL

A t-shirt? Why??? Shouldn't they also have added some Doritos to that list?

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostReaperMan, on 09 November 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

Headphones.

I wonder why didn't you suggest earplugs?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

If someone can tell me a valid reason to get liquid cooling over saving the money for it, I'd love to hear it.

I use liquid cooling... primary advantages are noise reduction and a relocation of one of the machine's major sources of heat. Basically, with air cooling the majority of your heat is expelled right in the middle of your case, where your video cooler attempts to use it to cool your GPU, it soaks into your hard drives, motherboard components (like your VRMs need to get any hotter...), etc. This is not optimal. In a proper water cooling setup, you have a large radiator typically positioned at the top of the case, with the heat immediately exhausted away from the rest of your components. It really makes a lot more sense when you think about it.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostKathy, on 09 November 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

I wonder why didn't you suggest earplugs?

I like music, and you can get noise canceling headphones. :)

But if you want zero noise earplugs would work or you could turn your PC off.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 09 November 2014 - 11:42 AM

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostHendricks266, on 09 November 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

A t-shirt? Why??? Shouldn't they also have added some Doritos to that list?

I don't know why, I think it's supposed to be a "complimentary" (secretly tacked on to total price) gift type thing for buying one of their pcs, also they probably didn't offer doritos because their company probably doesn't have a license to sell food...And t-shirts don't expire (in most cases)...
About other t-shirts without doritos...
Spoiler
(not my t-shirt, I'm not the one selling it off of ebay, I have one just like it)
You get one for pre-ordering the console version of shadow warrior, and it doesn't come with Doritos either, because of that I was mildly disappointed.

I thought you would complain about the totally unnecessary expensive wood crate these things come in..
Posted Image
although I think it's kind of cool, and some form of original pc branding, I don't really need it to be tacked on to the price of my pc (it's mandatory)

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 09 November 2014 - 12:56 PM

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostTerminX, on 09 November 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

I use liquid cooling... primary advantages are noise reduction and a relocation of one of the machine's major sources of heat. Basically, with air cooling the majority of your heat is expelled right in the middle of your case, where your video cooler attempts to use it to cool your GPU, it soaks into your hard drives, motherboard components (like your VRMs need to get any hotter...), etc. This is not optimal. In a proper water cooling setup, you have a large radiator typically positioned at the top of the case, with the heat immediately exhausted away from the rest of your components. It really makes a lot more sense when you think about it.

Thank you for the helpful information. It may persuade a future purchase.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

This is my pc 6 years ago, I mounted the rad out back of the case... worked good. Took my core2duo e6750 from 2.66ghz to 3.66ghz.
Had like 10 fans at a low rpm with a fan controller, was cool n quiet.
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Robman: 09 November 2014 - 04:26 PM

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostRobman, on 09 November 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

This is my pc 6 years ago, I mounted the rad out back of the case... worked good. Took my core2duo e6750 from 2.66ghz to 3.66ghz.
Posted Image
Posted Image

That looks amazing.
this would be the chronos
Pro Chronos
Gaming Chronos
it didn't specify what box but I'm guessing the cheaper one.
You can customize it to see the other ones.
How long did it take for you to build that? (your first time putting it together) and your first time building a computer did you run into any problems?
Even though it's roughly $300-400 cheaper to build it, I wouldn't wanna risk 1000 dollars for a first build.

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 09 November 2014 - 08:55 PM

On the cooling thing;

Yeah, cooling properly is an art form in itself and requires careful planning; You need effective cooling to protect components, ensure and even extend their longevity as well as redundancy in case part of the system fails or becomes partly clogged. It's even harder with the stupid cases you get now because the designers think silly LEDs and perspex is what we need, with no real room for anything, no screws holding it together and aluminum flimsy enough you could wrap your lunch up with it. Fan speed is even important because you have to achieve a slightly positive air pressure to cut down on the levels of dust. I personally also like to do a smoke test to identify hotspots. Ironically, as liquid cooling is more popular now, cases seem bent on forcing you to mount radiators externally which is just plain retarded.

In my case I have an old-style Full ATX case - back when that meant Full ATX - it's similar to this. Mine has a divide instead of just framework though and radiators are mounted at the top rear where two 120mm fans handle drawing in cool air and two centrifugal blowers remove air through vents at the front of the case. The reservoir and pump live just below these.

It was neccesary because my 3.5 drives were all stacked over one another (Eight for most of the machine's life) and got very very hot, the PSU also draws air from that part of the case and handling the GPU and CPU's heat too was not doing it any favors to the point it audibly complained. The RAM lives behind the drive bays too, that got hotter than I'd like - approached 60C at times, my preferred max for any component is 45C after 2 hours at 100% load. Liquid was the only way to keep it under control... Especially since the old Pentium D board died and I tried to run a Core 2 Q8400 setup in there as a stop-gap until I could get a new system, that thing throws out silly amounts of heat, very inefficient processor for this application. Unstable too. All irrelevant now though, because all I have is a Core Duo T2700 Dell that was recalled for problems with setting fire and exploding batteries and I can't be bothered - nor do I have the money - to build another machine.

But there you go, another example of liquid cooling being useful. Plus Supercomputers use it... Probably good reasons for that and if it's good enough for people like NASA, it's good enough for me. You certainly don't need more than air cooling in the average desktop though, especially these days with the efficiency Intel has achieved... Can't speak for AMD as I have no idea what chips they sell these days... possibly Doritos, or something about as useful as far as computing is concerned.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 09 November 2014 - 10:00 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Took a couple hours I guess to build it for the first time, going slow and thinking about things. It looked cleaner once you put the side cover on as it would hide a lot of the cables. Of course you always think of things to tinker with later, like cleaning up the cable routing and some misc stuff.

When building a computer, just make sure you have the motherboard mounted properly, use all the proper mounts and screws. Everything else will fall into place if the mobo is in correctly. LEARN WHAT THERMAL PASTE IS! (don't get the cheap stuff either.) If you do get liquid cooling, take the time to top up the fluid properly when the time comes, I tried to take a shortcut and not unmount the rad from the case and I fried that motherboard in the picture. 1 less functioning xfx 680i SLI LT motherboard on the planet :)

The Tower in the picture cost about $2000 to build in 2009.

If you aren't comfortable with handling computer hardware enough yet for your first build, get your hands on an older PC and start taking things apart and observe how they all go together.

This PC played bioshock, cod4mw, quake4, all the need for speeds at 1920x1200 with max settings splendidly. Crysis had to be dialed back alittle bit but was still more than good enough. These days I don't even care about newer games so my laptop is good enough for me and my build games :woot:

Personally with cases like mine, I think mounting the rad externally frees up space for air flow and keeps heat out.

After a couple years use this type of liquid cooler actually becomes kind of a pain in the ass, topping up the fluid and it would run low and then the pump wouldn't prime. Eventually I just took it off and stuck the stock cooler back on and put it back to 2.66ghz. This Tower is currently sitting under a desk at my mothers place unused as it sucks too much power for my solar power setup as I'm getting into the off grid way of living. The 24" 1920x1200 acer LCD 2ms monitor I used with it is also sitting under the desk, unused. 100 watts just to run that monitor is unacceptable to me.

The tower used about 300-350 watts + 100 for the monitor is way more power hungry than my laptop which uses like 20-40 watts (not running the screen) + a 19" lcd that uses 40.(going to get an led 24" or bigger monitor sometime soon.) Heck, my 37" led tv only uses 60 watts. But all of this is another story for another day. Getting close to ordering 5 more 100watt mono crystalline solar panels. Going off grid definitely sets you back some cash.

This post has been edited by Robman: 09 November 2014 - 11:18 PM

I really can't see the benefit in cooling, sure I can afford it and my case is designed for it.
But then my case also has a 200mm fan on it also, which I never use.

• Balls of Steel Forever

Thanks to all of you guys for the responses, I'm still stuck on whether to build it, but I'll probably grab a can of air and do what robman suggested. ( I hate dust ) Take apart my desktop. Thanks guys for the information so far it has been extremely helpful.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostThe Commander, on 09 November 2014 - 04:06 AM, said:

THIS. Liquid cooling usually doesn't outperform air cooling that much, an oftentimes the cheap components like Corsair H50's will perform worse than a $35 Hyper212 EVO. It also destroys your system if you spring a leak, and yes, that can happen with sealed units as well.

I have the world's shittiest Sandy Bridge running at 4.5GHz on air. I'm at the max safe voltage for both the chip and the VRM's (1.43v). My motherboard is a lowly $115 Gigabyte Z77-D3H and it has dinky VRM heatsinks. My temps are low as shit and I have a fan controller if I want it to be really quiet.

View PostTerminX, on 09 November 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

I have a Zalman Z11 case and a Hyper212 EVO with a Cougar high static pressure fan added to it for push/pull and VRM cooling. I have a high flow (69cfm) Cooler Master fan for the rear exhaust and front intake. Dual SilenX 120mm blue lighted fans for the top exhaust and a stock lighted Zalman fan for the bottom intake. There's a steady stream of air going over the VRM's and zero vdroop, even after 12 hours of Prime95 testing. My cases air pressure is negative as fuck, I have to dust out the filters in the spare drive bay covers every month because the case sucks in that much air on it's own. It's that good.

Air cooling is what you make of it. My next step is to transfer my machine over to the new Z11 I bought and use lighted Cougar 64cfm 16dba fans for the front intake and exhaust. I'll probably end up putting the stock fans on the top exhaust and I'll move over the old bottom intake fan.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 16 November 2014 - 12:39 AM

View PostRobman, on 09 November 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Could've got a quad core for that much cash...and a better video card or two. Like I said before, fuck water cooling. Never built a system with it, never will. It's just money being pissed away that can be used towards faster parts.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 16 November 2014 - 12:38 AM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

I likely wouldn't do liquid again, if I did I'd use a high quality setup with the reservoir, water block, pump maybe even gpu cooler. Because it's different and fancy. I do think liquid works well when setup properly and does a good job at relocating heat but it IS higher maintenance for sure. There's a reason most engines are liquid cooled anymore, especially high performance ones :)

This post has been edited by Robman: 16 November 2014 - 01:29 AM

Liquid cooling and restyling just made the 911 worse, though.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options