Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

And I thought the renderer had been abandoned. Well, it still has potential.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na... PLAGMAN!
Spoiler

This post has been edited by LeoD: 17 August 2021 - 11:02 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Plagman is the (Plag)man.

User is offline   Mark 

View PostFRVIND, on 17 August 2021 - 02:08 AM, said:

Great update from Plagman and Pierre-Loup Griffais. Now at least Polymer has gained 10 fps and and sorry if this is little!! :D.
Heartfelt thanks

Is there a link to the source of this announcement?

User is offline   FRVIND 

https://voidpoint.io...ge_requests/154

Regarding the fps I have tried in E1L1 in two very precise points and with precise angles, then also in some of my personal maps. There is no doubt especially if there are skies on the map. However, the fps problem was already partially overcome with the new RTX cards

User is offline   Mark 

So far I checked in only 1 of my Polymer projects which was using an eduke revision from about a month ago and updated to the latest. No difference in FPS in a few spots in a map. This is on ancient hardware. A 12 year old comp and 4 year old video card. I'll test in other projects of mine that are using older versions of eduke32.

This post has been edited by Mark: 18 August 2021 - 11:42 PM

User is offline   Mark 

You mentioned a 10 fps increase. What was your framerate so we can tell if it was a large pecentage increase or not.

User is offline   FRVIND 

Ok, ok in E1L1 when you get off the roof in the open space I did, at the worst angle and in the absence of monsters in action (already killed), about 38-40 frames. Now after the update 48-50

User is offline   FRVIND 

Integrated Asus Rog Strix Scar II Intel laptop plus RTX 2060.
But these advantages are not always visible, it depends on the type of map. I think open spaces are typical ...

User is offline   Mark 

Any little bit helps. I still have a backlog of projects on my drive waiting to get completed. All using Polymer renderer. Been using it since my first mod in 2009.

User is offline   FRVIND 

My belief is that for the pc things get heavy when there are a certain number of lights (SE49 or SE50) colliding with each other. But more when the lights intercept the light sources written in the maphacks ... but the latter are fundamental for an incomparable brightness of the scene ;)

• The Sarien Encounter

Man the Polymer HRP pack looks so bad without texture filtering.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 August 2021 - 06:42 AM

User is offline   FRVIND 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 August 2021 - 06:41 AM, said:

Man the Polymer HRP pack looks so bad without texture filtering.

Texture filtering? My r_texfilter is set to 2, my r_pr_shadowfiltering is set to 1. As default and this is good.

• The Sarien Encounter

Was it reenabled then? I thought they removed it from the the engine for Ion Fury?

User is offline   FRVIND 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 August 2021 - 07:32 AM, said:

Was it reenabled then? I thought they removed it from the the engine for Ion Fury?

I know it's not selectable now from video settings, but from console commands...

• The Sarien Encounter

Well then.

User is offline   Mark 

I was happy to see it put back as an option. I have projects that I deemed unplayable because the swirling moire patterns and texture edges were so bad without filtering. I posted about it back in January and Hendricks kindly pushed a change to allow filtering again. Just not by default. I had to add a few lines to my autoexec.cfg file.

This post has been edited by Mark: 19 August 2021 - 10:51 AM

User is offline   FRVIND 

https://voidpoint.io...fd762aa72a6cbb4

and...

https://voidpoint.io...e590b55cc3ddcfa

User is offline   FRVIND 

View PostFRVIND, on 19 August 2021 - 12:52 AM, said:

Ok, ok in E1L1 when you get off the roof in the open space I did, at the worst angle and in the absence of monsters in action (already killed), about 38-40 frames. Now after the update 48-50

I forgot to indicate one important thing:
-surface lights 8
-shadows per surface 6.
If I lower these values ​​respectively to 4/3 then there is a boost in performance. I attached a my complete map to evaluate its potential (I reach 18-22 fps in the worst case). Is a map created specifically to study the collision of lights but also multiple TROR layers (by the way if someone thinks of playing the map with polymost it's a disaster, polymost could never achieve the same quality and functionality)
[the map has an unimportant bug: it may happen that sometimes a monster manages to escape from its prison, but the confusion is so great ... :rolleyes: ]

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Mark 

On a 12 year old Dell computer and an old nvidia 750ti video card. Using the HRP, Polymer, your settings and at 1920 x 1080 I had 14fps at the start and a max of 28fps when I faced an outside wall. Averaged about 18fps while playing. If I turned down my settings to their usual 4 and 2 I gained 2 fps.

Were you using the HRP and models also?

This post has been edited by Mark: 22 August 2021 - 03:52 AM

User is offline   FRVIND 

... a fantastic result. I use also models :D . So does it mean that the duke engine has remained 10 years ago and benefit very little from the new video cards?

• The Sarien Encounter

My framerate averages between 180-220. It dipped under 100 when I blew up the building in E1L2. Sometimes in quiet areas it gets up to 400. This is with the Polymer HRP. But I have a 2060. (1080p)

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 22 August 2021 - 07:46 AM

User is offline   FRVIND 

I also have an RTX 2060 and I didn't realize how You can reach these results. Did You refers using classic or polymost? And without HRP models, isn't it?

• The Sarien Encounter

I was using Polymer because of the new update Plagman made.
In Polymost without any HRP or models I get 2400 fps.
In Software I get 300-500 fps.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 22 August 2021 - 07:26 AM

User is offline   FRVIND 

Ok I didn't see You wrote E1L2. Now it would be nice if You download my attached map "Ciccior" and tell how many fps could get. Anyway I presume You have a tower PC and not a Laptop and Your CPU is an I9 :D

• The Sarien Encounter

Tower, yes. But my CPU is Ryzen 5 3600X. Where do I find your map?

User is offline   FRVIND 

Above, attached in post today in this subforum 09:55 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Okay, so in Polymer with the HRP I get between 49-60 FPS. 60 was very rare though.
Polymost: 40-220 with HRP, this one wasn't very consistent but it was usually above 90.
Software: 180-240

User is offline   FRVIND 

Stately result!!!
Now I can officially publish my map :yes:

User is offline   FRVIND 

MusicallyInspired I made a mistake giving You a negative reputation (because I touched wrong with my phone), so after I gave You two positive reputations.
Sorry

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options