Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

Thanks for the update to the first post. I breezed through the rest of the thread, can we get some info on how to add lighting in CON? Thanks.

This post has been edited by msleeper: 14 May 2009 - 12:13 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

You just place these SEs using CON code.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I may have added confusion by saying in the first post that the lights in the movie had almost nothing to do with the instructions for placing SEs. In fact, as Plagman pointed out, it is essentially the same thing, but done with CON code. I was just saying that so that mappers wouldn't get the idea that they could make the floating fireflies and flickering flares by placing SEs in maps.

There's only one little trick -- you have to spawn a different picnum, set the various tags, and THEN change the picnum of the spawned sprite into SECTOREFFECTOR. Otherwise, you will get the "lonely SE" crash when it spawns. You can change any of the SE tags after it spawns to modify color, intensity, etc., and you can move the SE around the map.

View PostTea Monster, on May 13 2009, 08:25 PM, said:

@ TX - Very true. Yes, we are all bowled over by having funky next-gen features on Duke, and yes, its only taken 12 years to get them. But if you think about what the engine is actually doing at the moment for most people, its just displaying dynamic lights. Most of the people here haven't loaded any funky parallax maps or anything like that yet. I get terrible slowdowns when just using the original sprites.

I know jack squat about OpenGL programming, but I'd push for more optimization myself.

Polymer is running smooth here, but all I've got is the dynamic lights.
I don't have dynamic shadows, except for the spotlights on the front of the Pigcop patrol vehicles... they produce dynamic shadows. But I have no shadows anywhere else, and no parallax mapping or anything.

But the lights look fantastic, the glow from fire and other objects is great. :P Can't wait for the release build to be out.

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

Thanks guys. Is there plans to add more direct control over lighting through CON at some point? It seems pretty hackish to spawn SEs to create lighting.

DT - For your flashlight/flare I assume you just keep teleporting the SE to the players' or flares' XYZ right?

User is offline   Benichon 

Hi, i just tried to find the good SVN link (none of my test worked) so i took the download file propose by Sourceforge, i succeed to compile it but it crash when i launch (Polymer checked or not).
Is it normal? or did i have a wrong zip file.

I just replaced the Eduke32.exe and the Mapster32.exe (compiled by me) in my HRP directory.

Rev1379.

This post has been edited by Benichon: 14 May 2009 - 12:55 PM

User is offline   Mia Max 

So, everybody has already got polymer renderer? Can everyone get it or is it just for mapper/modder? ( I'm a mapper :P )

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 14 2009, 09:04 PM, said:

They both work for me...sort of. Spotlights don't work for me correctly unless I turn shadows off. Which defeats a lot of the purpose :P. Point lights work good, though. But it's difficult to make it look good when putting it against light or computer monitor textures that need to look like they're casting light. It puts this ugly little bright dot (from the point light source) on the texture. The only way to get rid of it is to move it farther away from the surface.

On another note, how do you implement normal/bump/specular/whatever maps for textures? Any good tutorials or programs for making normal/bump maps? Has anyone made any normal/bump maps for Duke3D textures yet? Maybe there should be a thread for normal/bump maps? Am I asking too many questions? http://forums.duke4....tyle_emoticons/default/ted.gif

For a monitor I think it's probaly better to use a very wide spotlight. Then just offset the source so it's a bit inside the monitor (You can place lights anywhere and not just in the sector they belong to). Note that this is probably only possible with light hacks unless there is some trick to achive the same placement with sprites.

If it's the main light source in the room you could put a faint point light a bit infront to get some faked bouncing light. At the moment you can't get ridd of the shadow casting though but thats planned to be toggable.

View PostDamien_Azreal, on May 14 2009, 10:34 PM, said:

Polymer is running smooth here, but all I've got is the dynamic lights.
I don't have dynamic shadows, except for the spotlights on the front of the Pigcop patrol vehicles... they produce dynamic shadows. But I have no shadows anywhere else, and no parallax mapping or anything.

But the lights look fantastic, the glow from fire and other objects is great. :P Can't wait for the release build to be out.

Thats because only spotlights cast shadows.

View Postmsleeper, on May 14 2009, 10:35 PM, said:

Thanks guys. Is there plans to add more direct control over lighting through CON at some point? It seems pretty hackish to spawn SEs to create lighting.

I belive that is planned. The SE spawning trick was just something DT came up with to playaround with it.

View PostDamien_Azreal, on May 14 2009, 10:34 PM, said:

But I have no shadows anywhere else, and no parallax mapping or anything.

You should get shadows behind Duke when shooting a weapon (i.e. press F7, look left and fire the chaingum). There are no other hardcoded spotlights at this point so it's natural you're not seeing more shadows.

To get parallax mapping, you need normal/height maps definitions. You'll need a special HRP update that'll probably be released along with the first "stable" version of the renderer.

User is offline   Hellbound 

Here's my bathroom

Posted Image

The spotlight is certainly there, but it doesn't affect geometry.
The strange thing is that when I use SE for placing spotlight - it works very well, same for that from chaingun and those from reckon patrol vehicles.
So the conclusion is that those spotlight created by maphacks are fucked up (all other lights on this level work good).

My log: http://www.sendspace.com/file/a0mev8

View PostHellbound, on May 14 2009, 11:29 PM, said:

The strange thing is that when I use SE for placing spotlight - it works very well, same for that from chaingun and those from reckon patrol vehicles.
So the conclusion is that those spotlight created by maphacks are fucked up (all other lights on this level work good).

My log: http://www.sendspace.com/file/a0mev8

It will do that if the lighthack has the proper position but the wrong sector number. Please post your lighthack line for this spotlight and the build date of your eduke32.exe.

//bathroom spotlight
light 139 27910 42254 -22000 7000 255 255 255 375 200 12 -150 15 3 0
light 139 27910 42818 -22000 1280 255 255 255 0 0 0 0 15 3 0
light 139 27910 41876 -22000 1280 255 255 255 0 0 0 0 15 3 0

Date - 2009 04 28 if I checked in a proper place.

If it's only about sector number - I can fix it myself.

Running 1.3D? If so, the sector number is different. I lost my 1.3D GRP and my CD is buried under tons of books. Go check the sector in mapster32, I guess.

Och, yeah, the number is 141... now that explains many things.

Now, I'm curious if the e2l1 is the same for 1.3 and 1.4, because I started to work on putting lights there.

View PostPlagman, on May 14 2009, 04:05 PM, said:

You should get shadows behind Duke when shooting a weapon (i.e. press F7, look left and fire the chaingum). There are no other hardcoded spotlights at this point so it's natural you're not seeing more shadows.

To get parallax mapping, you need normal/height maps definitions. You'll need a special HRP update that'll probably be released along with the first "stable" version of the renderer.

I figured as much. I'm just happy to be playing it at all. :P

Yesterday I managed to light up a part of E2L1 and it goes pretty well. Anyway, I can't get normal and specular maps for walls to be satisfying me, Parkar what do you use to create these? I'm using CrazyBump, it's a good soft, but maybe my settings of burning normals are bad or something...
Another question - do we set a maximum amount of spot lights for official levels? Ye know, because they are sucking framerate out of our ass.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostHellbound, on May 15 2009, 09:23 PM, said:

Yesterday I managed to light up a part of E2L1 and it goes pretty well. Anyway, I can't get normal and specular maps for walls to be satisfying me, Parkar what do you use to create these? I'm using CrazyBump, it's a good soft, but maybe my settings of burning normals are bad or something...
Another question - do we set a maximum amount of spot lights for official levels? Ye know, because they are sucking framerate out of our ass.

http://davenunez.wordpress.com/2008/07/21/...p-maps-for-fsx/

I used that tut to make some normals, and about the lights. Polymer has not been optimized as of yet so it would be hard to say how many spot lights can be used. Using the SVN maphack for E1L1 it really kicks my PC's frame rate (8 - 15)

This post has been edited by The Commander: 15 May 2009 - 01:30 AM

I just had a thought, you know tile 0258... the blue line is always lit.
I wonder if it's possible to make that some kind of light source with polymer.

Just hought i'd point it out because you'll run into that sooner or later.

Maybe you could add something where a glow map acts as a light source of some kind?

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

View PostHellbound, on May 15 2009, 11:23 AM, said:

Anything other then rocks and plain noisy stuff is done by modelling the texture and projecting the normals to a flat plane. Crazy bump is awesome for rocks and other more organic textures though.

View PostHigh Treason, on May 15 2009, 11:34 AM, said:

I just had a thought, you know tile 0258... the blue line is always lit.
I wonder if it's possible to make that some kind of light source with polymer.

Just hought i'd point it out because you'll run into that sooner or later.

Maybe you could add something where a glow map acts as a light source of some kind?

That's not a realistic request I am afraid. Only thing you could do is place a bigger faint point light in the middle of a room with those walls.

User is offline   motionblur 

Oooohh. So shiny. :P http://forums.duke4....tyle_emoticons/default/tongue.gif
That's really cool. Can't wait 'till it's finished.

User is offline   Jokke_r 

Is there a possibility for widescreen resolution support in the future, i noticed there is the widescreen option but all it does is change the aspect ratio of the image being rendered while the screen resolution is still 4:3. As in displaying a stretched 16:9 image in a 4:3 or 5:4 resolution :/

This post has been edited by Jokke_r: 15 May 2009 - 06:25 AM

In polymer, the widescreen option shouldn't do anything and the aspect ratio should be correct regardless of the resolution you chose. Is that what you tried?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostParkar, on May 15 2009, 05:25 AM, said:

That's not a realistic request I am afraid.

But perhaps Plagman could add a bloom effect to glow maps (maybe there could be a slider control for the bloom in the renderer setup).

This is already planned; glow maps and specular highlights will cause a blooming effect whenever I get around to implement the post-processing framework I planned.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

So I made a little normal map here for a texture. How do I implement it in the game? Also, does the game take any other things like that? Bump? Specular? As well as normal?

http://hrp.duke4.net/wiki/doku.php?id=tuto...olymer_textures

To bind the normal map ingame, define it like a glow map, only with the "normal" keyword. You can tune the parallax mapping with the parallaxscale and parallaxbias tokens. See the r_pr_overrideparallax cvar doc to tweak these two values ingame.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That link is a blank page...do I have to register an account or something?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 May 2009 - 07:34 AM

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 15 2009, 05:32 PM, said:

The whole wiki seems to be broken.

This might have to do with duke4.net hosting running out of disk space earlier (that's what was causing the forum and homepage errors before). It's possible you have to regenerate a cache or something. Anyway, looking at the page revision history and selection an earlier revision should work fine.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 16 2009, 03:32 AM, said:

Maybe, but I think it maybe a wiki he wants people to fill out. Any how, this should help you.

texture TEXTURENUMBER {
pal 0 { file "highres/textures/TEXTURE.PNG" specpower 0 specfactor 0 }
normal { file "highres/textures/TEXTURE_N.PNG" parallaxbias 0.0 parallaxscale 0.0 }
specular { file "highres/textures/TEXTURE_S.PNG" }
detail { file "highres/detail/whateverdetailisneeded.png" xscale 0.0 yscale 0.0 }
}

You can ignore the specular depending on the texture.

EDIT: Plagman posted before I did.

You will have to use the override cvar as Plagman said to fine tune it in game, once you are happy take note of the numbers and edit them in the def file accordingly.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 15 May 2009 - 07:51 AM

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options