Duke4.net Forums: PC fails to boot up at times, unplugging USB sorts it out - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PC fails to boot up at times, unplugging USB sorts it out  "PSU problems?"

User is offline   Gambini 

I have never used the covers in my cases since something like 1963. And at least twice a month i blow compressed air in the pieces to keep the dust away.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

You mean the side panels? That's the worst thing you can do. You end up creating hot spots. Cases are designed to operate closed, running them open keeps air from circulating. If convection were enough, we could just run them without fans.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

most side panels on mid and large ATX cases with perforations are designed to accept the mounting of an additional fan if you want increased airflow.

This post has been edited by Forge: 18 November 2014 - 09:59 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

Alright, thanks for the help everybody. I know what I'm going to do in anycase, the HD and GFX card on this PC are still new (relatively speaking...GFX card cost about £35 and it's PCI 2.0 but this rig only supports 1.1 so it's not running at what it could be at least) so I'm going to grab a bare-bones PC build after X-mas and put them in that.

View PostForge, on 18 November 2014 - 04:00 AM, said:

most side panels on mid and large ATX cases with perforations are designed to accept the mounting of an additional fan if you want increased airflow.

Yep! Leaving them off is straight up retarded. If your airflow sucks that bad you can get a decent case for like $40 these days.

View PostJblade, on 18 November 2014 - 04:12 AM, said:

Alright, thanks for the help everybody. I know what I'm going to do in anycase, the HD and GFX card on this PC are still new (relatively speaking...GFX card cost about £35 and it's PCI 2.0 but this rig only supports 1.1 so it's not running at what it could be at least) so I'm going to grab a bare-bones PC build after X-mas and put them in that.

PCI-E 1.1 matters only if the card needs the extra bandwidth 2.0 offers.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

If it gets too hot just throwing in some ice water. :)

Technically, if it's purified, you won't short anything out, you'll just cause some rust spots.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostProtected by Viper, on 19 November 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

Technically, if it's purified, you won't short anything out, you'll just cause some rust spots.

Implying dust in the air or on the surface of the components won't un-distill the water you throw.

User is offline   Jblade 

PCI-E 1.1 matters only if the card needs the extra bandwidth 2.0 offers[

Ah I thought I was probably being a bit too optimistic with how much improvement I'd get...thanks for letting me know in anycase (This is a low-spec card so the difference will be neglible)

View PostHendricks266, on 19 November 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

Implying dust in the air or on the surface of the components won't un-distill the water you throw.

People have done it before. Same thing with oils and shit. Get brand new parts and go for it. Don't be a pussy, bro.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 22 November 2014 - 11:26 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options