Duke4.net Forums: John Romero announces Daikatana 2 - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

John Romero announces Daikatana 2

User is offline   LkMax 

HAHA, GOCHA

On serious news though, apparently John Romero told Joystiq that he's making a new shooter.
I'm just wondering what the guy has in mind, I hope he learned something with his last gaming "wonder".

Source: http://www.joystiq.c...-since-2000-so/

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

John Romero announces Daikatana 2

View PostLkMax, on 11 August 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

HAHA, GOCHA

Hmmmpphh! Posted Image

Whatever shooter the guy makes, it'll at least be, shall we say interesting.

I wonder what kind of budget and market range it's going for.

Plus it better not be some kind of half-assed mega-compromise COD wannabe like DNF.

User is offline   LkMax 

Haha, why this face? Does anyone really want a sequel? Now that would be news to me. :(

View PostMicky C, on 11 August 2014 - 06:47 PM, said:

Plus it better not be some kind of half-assed mega-compromise COD wannabe like DNF.

I doubt that would happen again, I mean, except if gearbox hires him of course, they are making a good job screwing every game that is not Boredomlands.

User is offline   Gambini 

Randy doesn´t know how to make better games but he sure knows how to make other games worse! :(

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I thought John was making a shooter a few years ago? I could swear I saw like v-logs of him on youtube talking about this new up and coming shooter hes making and he said the name but not much else. Then it just kinda dropped and he started making free to play mobile games.

View PostLkMax, on 11 August 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

I hope he learned something with his last gaming "wonder".

Dare you sass talk a king?

Posted Image

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Romero is good at two things:

1. Designing levels. This, he is excellent at. No seriously, him and Levelord are probably the best in history.
2. Being a gameplay design lead, with the exception of Daikatana.

Things Romero is absolutely horrible at:

1. Managing anything, or anyone.
2. Telling the truth. He's chronically dishonest and blames others for his failures. The best example of this is Mike Wilson. I wouldn't go so far as to brand him a pathological liar though...that's pretty extreme.
3. Maintaining any sort of moral compass. See: The way he treated id and it's members after he departed. The breakup with Stevie Case was incredibly violent (not physically), and the next thing you know, he's with this really sweet, naive, waaaay too young (17 year old) girl he brought in from Romania who idolized him for years prior. Then that ended abruptly for some subpar cougar named Brenda Brathwaite. I guarantee you that was under poor circumstances, too.
4. Treating his borderline personality disorder. Every five years or so, there's a "new" Romero trying to establish itself. Take it from someone who's had friends with this condition, it's a disaster that almost always ends your relationship poorly and is a bitch to treat. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but the guy has seemed like a dead ringer for BPD for a while.

I haven't trusted Romero for a very long time and I'm not about to start now. The dude is great at keeping a low profile so no one notices his shady ass business failures and personal life. How many companies and relationships has he been through in the past fifteen years?

View PostHulkNukem, on 11 August 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

I thought John was making a shooter a few years ago? I could swear I saw like v-logs of him on youtube talking about this new up and coming shooter hes making and he said the name but not much else. Then it just kinda dropped and he started making free to play mobile games.

No, I think the CPL or MLG or some other organization filled with sweaty anti social faggots was working on an arena shooter, he was high up on the totem pole but it wasn't HIS project. I might be wrong on the specifics, but that should tell you where to look. I'm pretty sure they decided it wouldn't be profitable, but it was in active development at the time.

Someone Google this and correct me, I'm lazy.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 11 August 2014 - 10:55 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

^^^^This.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

If we were talking about a Romero who understood what went wrong with Daikatana, i'd actually like to see a sequel, or perhaps a remake done right. A lot of the ideas for Daikatana were incredibly ambitious, and after trying once and not succeeding, if everything was reconsidered and executed differently I think it could shape up as an incredible game experience.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

It will be incredible and an experience - probably before it's even released. Whether it's going to be any good or not is another matter entirely.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 11 August 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

If we were talking about a Romero who understood what went wrong with Daikatana, i'd actually like to see a sequel, or perhaps a remake done right. A lot of the ideas for Daikatana were incredibly ambitious, and after trying once and not succeeding, if everything was reconsidered and executed differently I think it could shape up as an incredible game experience.

Plenty of great, ambitious games have serious flaws. Deus Ex and Mass Effect 1 are buggy, glitchy, broken pieces of shit, but the moment your character holsters his gun, it's one of the greatest experiences of your gaming life. They are shit-tier shooters that are every example of how not to make an action game. Best examples of flawed "greatest games ever" out there. I mean shit, seven years between the two, and they share damn near every fatal flaw, every cardinal sin that would sink a shooter, period. Horrid AI. Loose, janky shooting. Shitty weapons. Poor controls. Unbalanced character powers. You name it. I mean, fucking hell, all people did was complain about Deus Ex's shooting, and Warren Spector made Invisble War have WORSE shooting than the first game! And IW was literally designed by focus groups and committees. Fucking guy has no idea how to create an FPS. But he still manages to be a legend.

So why isn't Daikatana in that category? Or for that matter, Mr. Romero?

Simple: Everything about Daikatana, and the people surrounding it, were subpar. The characters are fucking gay. I mean, really gay. Liberace wouldn't even let them suck his dick. The plot is absolute shit. It's some next level "rejected Nickelodeon script" stuff. The levels are hit and miss. The AI code is garbage. The world isn't very compelling. The weapons suck. Why the fuck does my fucking shotgun have to unload five rounds in an uneven pattern? I can't even pace headshots with the piece of shit unlike every other slow burst fire weapon, ever. It manages to be ambitious and hopelessly dated at the same time. It's a bad Doom clone mixed with an even worse plot and the most Plain Jane RPG elements out there...elements that only would have been innovative in 1995. Actual decision making matters, it's why SiN was awesome and Daikatana sucked. Oh wow, four bars that make my shooting accurate or increase my speed. *Yawn*

Do you really care about time travel when everything around you is like, gayer than Ru Paul?

But here's the real kicker: Deus Ex and Mass Effect get a pass because you can adapt to the game's shittiness and randomness as you level up and learn how to exploit certain things. Then the shooting just becomes bland. Besides, you become so immersed in the story and the environments you gradually stop giving a shit that you're a super soldier who couldn't shoot a the broad side of a school bus at point blank range. See, great broken games have things called FALLBACKS. "Wow, design decision A sucks cock. But B,C,D,E, and F are amazing."

Daikatana had no fallbacks. Design decision A sucked, B, and C were mediocre, E and F made you cringe. Decision D was great, but it was gone in an hour and you didn't see it again. It had no fallbacks because it was all about that shitty design document Romero made while jerking off to his own ego. Your average Daikatana playthrough is a jumbled mess of save files created every thirty minutes in a desperate attempt to one up the game's unpredictable buggy nature. Protip: You're wasting your fucking time. Why do you want to see more of Romero's cum splattered script brought to life? If he had to actually, you know, collaborate and exhibit these hot new things called "social skills," everyone would have shot down his horrible ideas.

So even if it was done with a competent team, who cares? The foundation was always fucking garbage, but he was a narcissistic loser at the time and couldn't be talked out of dumb shit. Now, he's just a loser. People are quick to forget he farmed out a fucking sequel running off Unreal to another company while it was in production, and planned a series of comic books...Because if there's anything comic book fans love, it's cheesy chinks and goofy groids. I'm sure those characters would sell a fucking bunch, John.

You know what a"GOOD" Daikatana would be called? Duke Nukem Forever.

Romero is a running gag because for every good thing he did there are ten things so pathetic, all you can do is this:

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 12 August 2014 - 12:01 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

So John Romero is about to make us his bitch....again.

Seriously, though - I'm not buying this game unless its called "<Insert Game Title Here>:Sorry About Daikatana"

User is offline   Cage 

I think he doesn't have as much money to blow now as he used to when making Daikatana so maybe it'll be better (or at least finished on time :()

Snarky comments aside, I wish him best of luck - hope he will remind us about his "good side" :(

User is offline   Player Lin 

I guess he could do something like better version of Daikatana, not a sequel.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 11 August 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

Well, I played Daikatana and I feel it's not too bad, like a shitty version of Quake 2 but the stupid AI for Hiro 's teammates really ruined everything in this game and made me always rage-quit when they're just keeping to murder themselves for no reasons. *sigh*

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 12 August 2014 - 05:31 AM

View PostProtected by Viper, on 11 August 2014 - 08:54 PM, said:

Romero is good at two things:

1. Designing levels. This, he is excellent at. No seriously, him and Levelord are probably the best in history.
2. Being a gameplay design lead, with the exception of Daikatana.

Things Romero is absolutely horrible at:

1. Managing anything, or anyone.
2. Telling the truth. He's chronically dishonest and blames others for his failures. The best example of this is Mike Wilson. I wouldn't go so far as to brand him a pathological liar though...that's pretty extreme.
3. Maintaining any sort of moral compass. See: The way he treated id and it's members after he departed. The breakup with Stevie Case was incredibly violent (not physically), and the next thing you know, he's with this really sweet, naive, waaaay too young (17 year old) girl he brought in from Romania who idolized him for years prior. Then that ended abruptly for some subpar cougar named Brenda Brathwaite. I guarantee you that was under poor circumstances, too.
4. Treating his borderline personality disorder. Every five years or so, there's a "new" Romero trying to establish itself. Take it from someone who's had friends with this condition, it's a disaster that almost always ends your relationship poorly and is a bitch to treat. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but the guy has seemed like a dead ringer for BPD for a while.

I haven't trusted Romero for a very long time and I'm not about to start now. The dude is great at keeping a low profile so no one notices his shady ass business failures and personal life. How many companies and relationships has he been through in the past fifteen years?

Concurred. I'm glad someone else sees this. John Romero has an incredible unrelenting ability to let his imagination create revisionist history. Just look at his Moby Games profile. Anything he so much as breathed near, no mater how trivial of a game or experiment, he puts his name on. It's a little unsettling when you start to investigate exactly what his actual role may've been. His new wildebeest wife (is that wife #5? I've lost count) doesn't seem much better. And his fallout with id has become "I was going to quit anyways". I'm sure he hasn't been the first to say this line after having been canned.

The BPD diagnosis seems highly possible. People with that disorder create their own reality in their mind; whatever it takes for them to avoid the feeling of abandonment and have a tendency to black-wash/white-wash things and people. They're also incredibly manipulative towards this end. I see this across the board with him.

Speaking of marrying 17-year-old immigrants, this should be good for a laugh or two :
http://www.something.../god-bless-you/

Or these if you want to feel creeped the hell out :
http://planetromero.com/tag/raluca

This post has been edited by RunningWild: 12 August 2014 - 06:38 AM

View PostRunningWild, on 12 August 2014 - 06:33 AM, said:

Or these if you want to feel creeped the hell out :
http://planetromero.com/tag/raluca

I wanted to post that but I couldn't find the link.
WHY WOULD YOU EVER LEAVE A GIRL WHO LOOKS LIKE THIS?!

Throw dat bitch mah way. I'll take her off someone's hands...$231 dollars she got from the divorce, and all. Yeah, that was the full 50%, Romero lives in Commiefornia.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 12 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostProtected by Viper, on 12 August 2014 - 07:13 AM, said:

I wanted to post that but I couldn't find the link.
WHY WOULD YOU EVER LEAVE A GIRL WHO LOOKS LIKE THIS?!

Throw dat bitch mah way. I'll take her off someone's hands...$231 dollars she got from the divorce, and all. Yeah, that was the full 50%, Romero lives in Commiefornia.

Posted Image

Meh, that's probably the most flattering picture I've ever seen of her...in some photos she looks more like a female John Carmack. :(

Posted Image

I think Killcreek was more attractive, tbh.

I think she's got that cute exotic Eastern European white chick thing going on.

Man, I sound like a fucking creep right now.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

John Romero Internet Defense Force pls go

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 12 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

• Honored Donor

She looks ok in the second pic, although that's if she fixes her hair up and doesn't do that pouty thing with her lips.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Bring back SUPERFLY! :(

• Judge Mental

View PostPlayer Lin, on 12 August 2014 - 05:30 AM, said:

I guess he could do something like better version of Daikatana, not a sequel.

That's more what I was driving at. Conceptually Daikatana had a lot of, as previously stated, great ideas. Like keeping each section of the game entirely unique in it's usage of assets. Mixing styles such as asian influences, cyberpunk, and time travel. Using AI partners to accomplish tasks, period appropriate equipment.

There were just some things that got in the way of what could have been great. A lot of that being ego overriding common sense. Hiring so many people who just couldn't work together. Romero wasn't able to really drive his team forward (and frankly it's pretty obvious he never really wanted to BE the leader. He just wanted to sit there and make shit. Which is fine, and I get that, but the moment he started to think he wasn't going to be able to do the job, he should have passed the keys off to someone else and just become a designer on the game, instead of the head cheese. He could still retain his high position in the company, just not on the project itself. He should have really gone back to a similar position to the one he had at ID, a creative guru with direct input into the game, but not as a singular leader.

Still, I hope that he has learned from his past mistakes and will go on to make something great here. We can only hope, eh? I happen to like Romero, he's a cool guy, and i'd like to see him redeem himself in this regard.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

I finished Daikatana for the first time last year. If it wasn't for the inexcusably bad a.i. it would've been just a bog-standard shooter elevated slightly by some neat ideas. It's still my go to example of why having lots of unique content doesn't make for a better game. There's parts that I genuinely enjoyed (the Norway chapter is pretty decent) but there's too many underbaked ideas. It's always going to be better to have 6 great weapons than 24 mediocre ones, ditto levels, enemies etc...

• Honored Donor

The advantage now compared to 1998 is that rendering technology is progressing much, much slower than it was back then, and consoles seem to have put a clamp on things such as texture resolution.

So IMO it'd be unlikely to come out with seriously outdated graphics if it does have an extended development period.

User is offline   Cage 

I've heard the Q1 engine demo of Daikatana they've had was pretty cool, but you know - Quake 2 was just around the corner and they didn't want to use an inferior engine.

I've read the whole article on Daikatana development and it seems that the most crippling failures were on the leadership/management and communication front - like people wasting time doing assets not to spec for example.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostCage, on 14 August 2014 - 02:33 AM, said:

I've heard the Q1 engine demo of Daikatana they've had was pretty cool

I played that a while ago. The Greek themed level is quite nice IMO.

The alpha/beta stuff can be found here (I downloaded the alpha back then from http://rome.ro/games_daikatana.htm but the site seems down ATM).

Here's a video of this version:

Come to think of it, there don't seem to be too many FPS games that have an Ancient Greek setting. There's Will Rock, but not much else. Or maybe I don't know some of the games that use this theme.

[Edit] For some reason, the sky texture is missing in the Greek level in the video above.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 14 August 2014 - 03:13 AM

• Judge Mental

View PostCage, on 14 August 2014 - 02:33 AM, said:

I've heard the Q1 engine demo of Daikatana they've had was pretty cool, but you know - Quake 2 was just around the corner and they didn't want to use an inferior engine.

I've read the whole article on Daikatana development and it seems that the most crippling failures were on the leadership/management and communication front - like people wasting time doing assets not to spec for example.

It's actually funny, I figured some of the stories of some of the "misunderstandings" were being exaggerated, but the whole tale about how their was a texture done for a low poly arrow at full screen resolution (640x480 or something along those lines) is actually true. You can actually find that texture in the alpha release.

Seeing how some of you here are debating if Romero's 18 year old romanian wife was hot or not based on 2 pictures, I decided to upload my stash here for y'all.
Scroll that page away and see all of her pics.
Happy masturbation or what ever.
http://share.pho.to/6kCHp

I have them in high res.
Example :Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 14 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

This thread went from funny to downright creepy rather quickly!

• Judge Mental

View PostColon Semicolon, on 14 August 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

This thread went from funny to downright creepy rather quickly!

Yeeeaaahhhhh....

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options